1 (edited by Dune 2020-08-28 23:38:19)

Topic: [CLIENT] Teeworlds Gamer

http://i.imgur.com/LmX8ASK.png

0.7 version here: https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12622

Hello tee(e)s :)

This topic is getting completely outdated as it only shows changes from the very first version. It will get reworked when I'll have time and motivation for it.

I finally decided to release my client, the Teeworlds Gamer. Originally, this client was supposed to be a modded client for basketball - and you will find into some basketball-related features.
This part of the client probably won't interest you, but I included many other features ; and you can almost get a pure client back with the configs.

Many ideas aren't from me, some parts of code also, and I tried to make exhaustive credits.

First, the console has been redisigned (I already posted another topic about that) :

There's a little new starting screen.

I deleted useless debugs, and highlighted chats, system chats, client debugs in different colors to make the console more user-friendly.

http://duneudne.free.fr/source/gamer_screenshots/3.0/console_new_colors.png

I patched Teecomp from spl0k (official topic), and the Friend List from Choupom (official topic).

I added a little admin panel which you can see when you're authed on the server. There are some functions to force players to join X team, or to spec, you can kick them and also (as this function is available in most of the modded servs) mute/unmute them.
http://duneudne.free.fr/source/gamer_screenshots/admin_panel.png

The HUD has been reworked to free some screen space, and to give a faster and accurate view of your health. Some other things have been resized, like the warmup, the chat, the broadcast or the timer. You can change those configs by looking in the Settings menu, Gamer tab.
http://duneudne.free.fr/source/gamer_screenshots/gamer3.png

I also made some changes in the server browser, highlighting some gametypes : purple for all kinds of races, green for pure, blue for instagib, orange for basket, and white by default.
You also can set a maximum number of players in the filter.
http://duneudne.free.fr/source/gamer_screenshots/gamer1.png

About RACE :
There is also some special features for races, mostly about changing the "Current time : " broadcasts and the Checkpoint to something clear you can see faster, with green colors when you're making a better time and red when you're not.
http://duneudne.free.fr/source/gamer_screenshots/gamer4.png

There is a new feature, the gfx_full_clear that only renders the game tile, which is sometimes very useful in races to find secret ways, to pass stupid quiz or simply to have a nice view of the game when the map is a bit dark or not clear on some parts. Personnaly, I always have this feature enabled.

An example with run_guy_25 :
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/6162/animation1ux.gif
The required entites_clear.png is in the zip.

Also, I added a one-click LAN server button. It looks for teeworlds_srv_race.exe when the gametype is RACE, and for teeworlds_srv.exe when the gametype is vanilla. It automatically set up a config and run the server with sv_register 0 and connect you on it. (you will have to refocus the client)
http://duneudne.free.fr/source/gamer_screenshots/test_map.png
(Look at the button)
Unfortunately, this feature isn't compatible with other OS than Windows yet.

About BASKET :
Some features that will only interest some of you, skip if you're not interested in.

First of all, there is an option to make a basketball appearing in place of the rocket (look in the settings, one time more). The useless HUD has been deleted, and the basketball is resizable. You also can set a 5-seconds warmup that will enable at each respawn, to help you to get the timing.
http://duneudne.free.fr/source/gamer_screenshots/gamer2.png

I added at the end of the game a little picture on the top left corner about owning time.
http://duneudne.free.fr/source/gamer_screenshots/gamer_owning.png

All that is configurable.

About SOUNDS :
I've imported many sounds from Unreal Tournament (free sounds), availables in the patch. You can disable them or test a random one in the settings. You also can download some other sounds from Quake (look in "customized sounds part).

The implemented sounds are :

• Killing spree (5 kills)

• Rampage (10 kills)

• Dominating (15 kills)

• Unstoppable (20 kills)

• Godlike (25 kills)

• Wicked sick (30 kills)

• Holyshit (ended)

• Humiliation (killed spree - 7 deaths)

• Prepare to fight (warmup is starting)

• Prepare to kill (match is starting after a warmup)

• Firstblood (first kill in a match)

Also, I've implemented a fake interface. There is a quick button on the menus browser screen that allows you to change your name in one click to another one that you have defined as a fake. You can't make chat binds when you're considered as faking and you have a linked skin to the two "personalities".
You can set up all that in the settings, like always.

Credits :
There are some little credits in the client (settings->credits), and I copy-paste them here :

--- Patched separated projects ---
spl0k (Teecomp)
Choupom (Friend List)
KillaBilla (DownloadExtension and VoteExtension)
Sushi Tee (Beep mod)
EdgeCruSher (Teecomp++)

--- Graphics ---
Landil (arrows)
Apmox (da great logo)
Puch (race, arrows)
Bee (icons)
Sheep (entities_clear)
Blobby (console)
LordSkelethom (basket)
Marik (cross)

--- Sounds ---
Unreal Tournament

--- Programming Support ---
LordSkelethom
Vijfhoek
buffer[]
#teeworlds-dev

--- Thanks to ---
The teeworlds developers for the 0.5.2.
Sheep for making it compatible and compiling under Mac.
MBs, MS, and Qi for their ideas and feedback

Downloads (v4.31)
Windows binaries (.exe) courtesy of heinrich5991
Linux x86 pack (.zip)

Downloads (v4.3)
Windows pack (.rar)
Windows pack (.zip)
Mac binaries - Compiled by HMH

Downloads (v4.2)
Mac pack (.zip) - Compiled by MertenNor
(Extract and merge with your usual Teeworlds folder)

Sources
Sources (v4.31)
Sources (v4.3)

Customized sounds
Quake Sexy Sounds (from Pudding)

Only a limited number of persons tested that client, so I'm opened to all the reviews ; you're free to criticize as long as you don't insult. I won't tell you "if you don't like it go away" and I don't ask you to be tolerant because it's my first client or dunno what :)

25.11.14: Released v4.31, fixed the crashes with the gfx_full_clear feature.
07.09.11: Released v4.3, more info here
02.06.11: Released v4.2, more info here
03.05.11: Released v4.1, more info here
19.04.11: Released v4.0, ported the client to 0.6. More info here
18.03.11: Released v3.32, fixed some issues, and patched the Vote Extension from KillaBilla.
13.03.11: Released v3.31, fixed some issues.
13.01.11: Released v3.3, more info here
17.11.10: Released v3.2, more info here
02.08.10: Released v3.1, more info here
11.07.10: Released v3.0, more info here
21.06.10: Released v2.01, fixed bug and added missing credits.
20.06.10: Released v2.0, more info here
17.06.10: Released v1.0.

About the v4.32
What needs to be done
Port the gamer to 0.6.3

What I should have worked on for 4.4
Build a server creation tool into the UI
Chat icons for flag captures
Last 10 games played history
Only display healthbar for vanilla
Move up the chat box when fullscreen is being disabled to avoid overlapping
Fix overlapping problems with the broadcast when using big sizes
Add shortcuts for the LAN test feature in the editor

What I should work on when I'd have enough time
Rework this topic as it's getting outdated
Mirror feature
IRC-based chatroom
Use GeoIP
Automapper for the game tiles shower
Maybe patch the antiping
Downloaded maps icon in the server browser
Improve the fake feature to transform it into an intuitive profile switching tool, not a hardcoded button

Dunedunely,
Dunedune.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

2 (edited by Mic 2010-06-18 11:40:09)

Re: [CLIENT] Teeworlds Gamer

Seems very fun and usefull - Good Job!

Very nice work, really impresive. I think you should add the button "test in lan" into the map editor and instead of it, in the menu, a button "demorec". You may also wanna add other useful mods, there are many avaiable.
By the way, great project and keep working on it!

Support Staff - ESL.eu Teeworlds Admin

4 (edited by Dune 2010-06-17 12:33:43)

Lanta wrote:

Very nice work, really impresive. I think you should add the button "test in lan" into the map editor.

Originally, the button "Test in LAN" was supposed to allow players to play their favorites races with a very low ping, but that's a very nice idea, thanks.

in the menu, a button "demorec"

What do you mean ? Something that would start/stop recording ?

You may also wanna add other useful mods, there are many avaiable.

Could you tell me some nice mods I could implement ? I've given a look on the forum but didn't find anything useful saved by those two patches.

And thanks for positive feedback ! smile

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

in the menu, a button "demorec"

What do you mean ? Something that would start/stop recording ?

Yes, I meas exactly that. There was such button inside the first Z-team Client Pack, I don't know if there is also in the knewer version.

Dune wrote:

You may also wanna add other useful mods, there are many avaiable.

Could you tell me some nice mods I could implement ? I've given a look on the forum but didn't find anything useful saved by those two patches.

Prediction client -> http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5873
Download extension -> http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5361
Beep-mod -> http://www.teeworlds-community.de/board … -beep-mod/

6 (edited by Dune 2010-06-17 13:08:07)

I don't like the prediction client, I consider this as cheat and the code is dirty... And it isn't that much popular... maybe
I need to give a look to the code, to try it.
About the download extension I was about to patch it but when I tried the client all those infos seemed so useless... but people are asking for it, so I'll do it wink
Actually, I was already trying to do some kind of progress bar with two tees on each side and a laser between them, but it failed, I don't know why...

And about the beep-mod... I can't understand german at all can you tell me what it's about ?

Still, thanks for the ideas.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

And about the beep-mod... I can't understand german at all can you tell me what it's about ?

Simply when a player write in chat your name or one of the words you've chosen it beep to alert you and you won't be any importart message big_smile

wow this is a really cool client smile. im gonna use it, definately the most usefull client up to now. guess the best features are the lan button and the entities-option.

First bug, i dont know why, but this happens with my game.png:
http://www3.pic-upload.de/17.06.10/aqyqiwhw3tf.png

just for this client. It works with every other clients.
I didnt bind anything, settings are standard.
Im using Vista 32x.

Hope you can fix that or help me tongue

Well, I had this too. You have to move all the zipped files into a vanilla directory to replace them, it's not stand-alone big_smile

11 (edited by Dune 2010-06-17 14:39:13)

Me, Me and myself wrote:

This includes data and binaries, extract it in your teeworlds folder and merge folders

I make it in bold font big_smile

The goal of this is that this doesn't overwrite any files in the teeworlds folder, you still can use your favorite client (modded or not) in the same folder.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

This client looks very nice - Sushi should take it in his client pack.

Visit tee-league.de and tv.tee-league.de!

2 / -1 is NOT -1!

Anyways...but I like the game thing, and also, I think you should add the lan server in the map editor.

The only thing I can thing of is to add option to ban some one, with a set amount of time, in the admin panel. From what I understand, kick simply means they leave and can come right back, ban is like a kick with a time limit.

It would be like this:

[Ban: |    :    |], and you would input the time. So let's say 10 minutes, [Ban: | 10:00 |] and then click it and they are banned for 10 minutes. ^^

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

15 (edited by Dune 2010-06-17 15:49:33)

alias wrote:

2 / -1 is NOT -1!

One reason more to download my client big_smile

Bee wrote:

The only thing I can thing of is to add option to ban some one, with a set amount of time, in the admin panel. From what I understand, kick simply means they leave and can come right back, ban is like a kick with a time limit.

It would be like this:

[Ban: |    :    |], and you would input the time. So let's say 10 minutes, [Ban: | 10:00 |] and then click it and they are banned for 10 minutes. ^^

That was already planned, just a problem of time smile
I already have much to do, with the new propositions from Lanta and Sushi.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Very nice mod big_smile
just one thing : i have bind a weapon un my mousewheel (wheelup or sth like that). It don't work with the standart teeworlds but with the client pack of sushi. I'd like to use your client but the bind on the wheel don't work. Can you pls fix it?

17 (edited by Dune 2010-06-17 17:30:17)

Normally you should be able to do it on every client, including mine.

bind mousewheelup +weapon3

Write that in f1 to bind the shotgun (3rd weapon) on your mousewheelup.

I finished implementing the ban feature in the admin panel and patched the download extension. I gonna release all that later, when I would have implemented others asked features.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Sry Dune it doesn't work sad
With the "normal" Teeworldsversion it's the same , but with the client pack of sushi it works.
(mouse : logitech mx518)

Right I forgot something :

bind mousewheelup "+weapon3;+fire"
Not Luck, Just Magic.

The mute feature is pretty nice with buttons but it shouldnt be in the call vote menu. Some of the rest seems useful too.

To put it in a nutshell. It seems good in some cases but in the end its a way too colorful to actually look good xD

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

21 (edited by Dune 2010-06-18 09:17:14)

Sushi Tee wrote:

The mute feature is pretty nice with buttons but it shouldnt be in the call vote menu. Some of the rest seems useful too.

I know this isn't really a vote as you don't ask for others' opinion, but I felt a new button Admin Panel was unneeded. I just don't have any idea about new names for the Call Vote button.
About the mute feature, it only works on some modded servers, as I said in my post wink

To put it in a nutshell. It seems good in some cases but in the end its a way too colorful to actually look good xD

I really feel Teeworlds doesn't use much enough colors in its menus. Color is a nice tool to give quick and clear information to the user, and this should not be omitted.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Can someone upload it in .zip?

Account inactive since 11/8
.. Although i sometimes visit :3...

When I click on Test on LAN, client crashes...Can you help me?

Programming is similar to sex. If you make a mistake, you have to support it for the rest of your life.

24 (edited by big bomb 2010-06-18 12:37:15)

How about adding a ingame server browser?
EDIT: Found a bug when someone team chats the chat is blue it should be green

25 (edited by Dune 2010-06-18 12:47:53)

Can someone upload it in .zip?

If you're running on Windows, you can download WinRar.

big bomb wrote:

How about adding a ingame server browser?

Right, I should include the one from the Teecomp++ client. Thank you for the idea.

Edit: Impossible, the link to the source is broken hmm .

sofast23 wrote:

When I click on Test on LAN, client crashes...Can you help me?

On which version of Windows are you running ? Is the map a pure one, or simply a downloaded one ? Is there a "server" folder created into your teeworlds folder ?

Edit:

EDIT: Found a bug when someone team chats the chat is blue it should be green

That's not a bug, it's blue-green, not the exact teeworlds teamchat color... I got some reasons to change it but if it disturbs you I can put the old color back (see on the 4th screen).
Edit2: Already changed in the next version.

Not Luck, Just Magic.