Topic: Slopes

We are currently testing some new stuff: sloapes. This means 45°, diagonal tiles. Sounds interesting?
Yeah, it is. Inherited and me did a prototype which already works quite good, but there are still some bugs. Please do not ask if and when this will become official. We do not even know yet if it suits to the teeworlds feeling. So we are still experimenting. But to show you that we're still thinking about how we can improve the game play we'll give away this video to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWkpvgJhQlw

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Re: Slopes

Nice! but i don't like how feets look... :\   and what happens when hooking players in slopes? If i'm in 'normal tile'  and hook a player in slope... who wins?

Happy to see official devs experimenting with the game wink

It looks like the gameplay becomes more liquid, more flow in all... smile

looks really cool i'm for it

Nice! Slopes could definitely add more gameplay and mapping possibilities if they are well-made smile

Wow, this is something new and amazing!
Like adding a fourth dimension to the existing three: left/right, bottom/top and speed smile

I am not sure if the player character will slow down while it climbing upwards? And does it additionally speeds up your way down? By looking at it seems like you have already embedded these physical laws.

traitor wrote:

I am not sure if the player character will slow down while it climbing upwards?

Yes, at least at present.

traitor wrote:

And does it additionally speed up your way down?

Yes, too

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

There needs to be a lot of testing on the physics of sliding down or up hills after taking high speeds by hooking; I don't know how it actually works now but it needs to be smooth.

Keep up the good work!

Not Luck, Just Magic.

I think this hasnt much with teeworlds anymore sad

10 (edited by 2013-08-16 10:54:16)

theunknown wrote:

I think this hasnt much with teeworlds anymore sad

Back in the olden days everything used to be better.

Dune wrote:

There needs to be a lot of testing on the physics of sliding down or up hills after taking high speeds by hooking; I don't know how it actually works now but it needs to be smooth.

Keep up the good work!

Yip, the true development process is not coding a slope or making the graphics. It's the finetuning, making it smooth and sound. This needs a lot of work and a feeling for teeishness.

Imagine using unhookables on the slopes!
Not being able to hook while sliding down sounds super awesome!
So many possibilitees!

-SALAD

With an on-command sliding feature, this is looking more and more like Tribes Ascend gameplay - not saying it's a bad thing.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Am interested, if there will be any maps combining slopes and a proper gameplay....will be very difficult.

SALAD wrote:

Hope this is possible.

I really like the current state of your version of slopes. Is there a public repository? Would be nice to test it out (or maybe to contribute?)

15 (edited by 2013-08-16 18:57:06)

Slayer *gV* wrote:
SALAD wrote:

Hope this is possible.

No, not yet.
Besides, you do not automatically slide down. You need to press a key.

east wrote:

I really like the current state of your version of slopes. Is there a public repository? Would be nice to test it out (or maybe to contribute?)

No there is not.
I gonna talk to inherited. He's the coder, he decides smile

We have done a first version and now the big work begins. We need to harmonize it with teeworlds physics and game mechanics. There are several bugs which really disturb fluent movement and all the parameters need to get adjusted. If pro-player cannot adjust the parameters to get a teeish feeling we will stop development.

Could be interesting for runs or races but I can't imagine slopes in normal gametypes.

Don't know what to say. Would have to test it myself to make my mind about it.

Sometimes games a perfect as they are and I think Teeworlds is in that state!

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)

I'm not sure... I'm used to the old design but I'll give slopes a try big_smile

Maybe you could open up a test server (requires modified client right?)?

I remember when CarmineZ made something similar smile

Ooh that day draws near big_smile

Once in a century...

Okay, so here's the idea:
Slopes are supposed to help beginners to move. Especially in the beginning it's quite tough to master hook and double jump and even more difficult to gain speed.
So we wanna find out if it is possible to design slopes with which a beginner can gain speed and without changing the movement feeling and game mechanics.

To put it in a nutshell: make movement easier for beginners, allowing pro gamers even more spectacular moves, don't change the feeling.

19 (edited by Fudgyking 2013-08-17 04:38:42)

I totally agree with what yemDX suggested.

20 (edited by 2013-08-17 09:32:43)

lol, of course we won't change teeworlds physics. So ofc u will jump like in the picture.

except you are standing still on the slope

You'll see me sliding'

Landil wrote:

it is supposed to be intuitive. Keep it simple stupid - is one of the design guidelines of teeworlds. So we will make movement as it is expected by people who play it for the first time.

Well, i would expect to slide slowely down, when i stand on a slope. But i guess you tested it and it didnt fit?

And please stop this trolling and childish discussion about "what teeish is". Open a new thread for it, but dont blow this one up!

In fact, to code a programm is never like "i use this, this and that and my finished programm will be like this", holding up a stupid shit of paper.
Many times you simply need to code something, just to realize it is shit². And sometimes it will fit perfectly, after some adjustments, what Landil and inhereted are going for.

Landil wrote:

Besides, I'm sure pro-player will find a way to use the slopes for their advantage. Thus we involve pro-players in the developing process...

I totally agree with that point!

LOL make this

http://i42.tinypic.com/zlutfb.png

Fanartist
Good can't exist without evil, thats why i love being both
Virus

ZONE wrote:

LOL make this

(Image)

LOL why?

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)