1 (edited by yemDX 2013-05-11 02:34:13)

Topic: "gg"

Do you say "gg"? When you say it, do you really mean "good game"?

When I say "gg" it's only during a total stomp (99% of the games I play), to me it means "get good"

DD****** need not reply to this thread.

EDIT: self-censored

Ex-King of Teeworlds

2 (edited by Broken 2013-05-11 02:48:25)

Re: "gg"

i always thought it was basically "gi(gg)ling" at how easy i beat you or ""Goodbye Garbage." be sure to add the "no re" to let them no they weren't even worth your time.

Normal answer: when the game is finished, gg is like a hand shake. before the game is finished, gg by the loser is like a "I know I lost, so ill show that I gave it up before I lost to get a little dignity back" and by the winner is "i think i've won so ill stick it in your face to humiliate you". actually typing out good game is saying it was a good game

I always liked something like "thanks for the game" better as gg can sound artificial or condescending.

In some games I played, not saying gg is considered really bad mannered, so I always do unless I'm mad.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

I only play modifications but I do say GG sometimes.
What's the connection anyway? Lol

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

To confuse trolls like you.

Topic: I don't say gg in teeworlds, coz 95% of the other players don't give a f*ck about manner (or dont even know what it means).
In other games i always end a match with "gg", receiving a "gg" from all other players, too. :-(

I agree with RoboT.ee: Saying GG is like shaking hands after a match. And sometimes I really feel that narcistic thought of the winner when he says GG after he dominated...

Once in a century...

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

I've never heard anyone say 'gg' in DDRace or something. Do people say it? I can't imagine they would.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

"gg" = Good Game
ddrace != Good Game
So why whould anyone write gg?

11 (edited by Broken 2013-05-12 06:39:05)

ddrace can be a ton of work , luck and skill, that can all be ruined a few tiles from the finish line. you'd better believe i say gg after an intense ddrace.

Broken wrote:

ddrace can be a ton of work , luck and skill, that can all be ruined a few tiles from the finish line. you'd better believe i say gg after an intense ddrace.

Broken wrote:

intense ddrace

I won't be replying to this post because of the obvious bait that Broken has laid out for us non-trolls. Not even typing using proper grammar makes it even more obvious.

Anyway, I've come up with a new way to express how your "gg" was:

gg = good game
gig = giggling
gbgb = Goodbye Garbage
gtg = Get Good (excommunicate anyone who uses it as "got to go")
sts = Sucks to Suck
GLS = Get Lost Scrub

Ex-King of Teeworlds

And the very rageous "ggal" which I'll let you guess :D

Not Luck, Just Magic.

14 (edited by Shahan 2013-05-12 22:02:38)

ofc, it's a serious problem. I totally agree with #ye**X,because in 99.999499291% of games i mean "get good", while others think that i mean "good game". And the most useful action 'gg' has only on DDRace gametype, noobs become skilled then faster (worked in 69.7302% of games)

15 (edited by traitor 2013-05-13 00:36:10)

Okay, I finally took your bait, yemdx
To answer your question in the first place: I do not use that kind of abbreviation anymore - besides I try to avoid any abbreviation as it might lead to confusion as you have noticed yourself.

But the time I was first introduced to the game, and it has been my first online gaming experience, the phrase has been used everywhere I played (even german players seem to use it all the time). Back then we discussed its meaning, since those two letters have been without any sense to me.
Good game could be used on this forum to cherish developers and contributors to make this game and I would not argue against smile
Though to me it seemed wrong to end a game with a short "gg" so I began to write "nice match", manually typing it after every single match. Even when I accepted and understood others saying: it has been a good match with you and against.

On the other hand the topic is about language and of course you have two aspects: one speaker and a listener (sender and recipient in general). So your meaning of a phrase, a gesture, your facial expression could be twisted in any other mind, even more when you do not know what you want to express in the first place. Language is about understanding each other, but in many cases it leads to misconceptions as well; it is just normal but you have to be aware of the fact.

The most important aspect to me has been mentioned already:
it is a common sign of courtesy and politeness to other people, spending their precious time with you.

16 (edited by Zgokee 2013-05-13 05:36:10)

Shahan wrote:

in 99.999499291% of games i mean "get good"

Shahan wrote:

(worked in 69.7302% of games)

How did you calculate this? Seems like you used some very advanced precision technique.

I normally say gg for "good game", be it if out of frustration or being a nice game. "garbage game" rarely. If the game was just plain bad and nobody tried, then I will simply say, "g" for 'game.'

Do not discuss moderation publicly. Also, it looks like the issue was fixed. // Dune

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Btw, it's kinda contradictorily to see how much yemDX likes vanilla and DDRace, while statistics shows that he plays ddrace more than a twice more than vanilla

19 (edited by yemDX 2013-05-15 01:35:02)

Shahan wrote:

Btw, it's kinda contradictorily to see how much yemDX likes vanilla and DDRace, while statistics shows that he plays ddrace more than a twice more than vanilla

Please note that while this has nothing to do with this thread's subject, I will be replying to this post anyway in this thread.

I enjoy DDRace and I think it's fun, but it doesn't change that it's horrible and killing the community. Frankly, I'm a part of the problem. No one where I play (USA servers) plays vanilla.

I understand that since I am a "troll" that you think it is okay to attack and insult me in any thread, but this simply is not true. If you have an issue with me you are free to do any of the following: PM one of the moderators (Dune would be preferred), make a thread about me, PM me, voice chat with me, or play with me in-game.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Shahan wrote:

Statistics say I am playing...

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

yemDX wrote:

I've never heard anyone say 'gg' in DDRace or something.(something=Any type of mods?) Do people say it? I can't imagine they would.

zCatch
zChaos
Catch16
(...)

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

22 (edited by Kirbs 2013-05-25 18:41:44)

I say good game during Ictf matches against my family, and gg here means multiple things, like giggling, googly gunk, get gunned, and good game, mostly depending on my kill ratio. (More like... points?)
85% of my games, I slaughter the guys, (that is my gg %) (because They all just downloaded, or still haven't learned the game, so I teach them, OR try to teach them) and I say gg as to good game, and get good. But mostly good game. I say good game more when I'm playing against veterans.

no