1 (edited by traitor 2013-11-19 01:35:38)

Topic: let's start a new: Teeworlds Wiki

http://s1.directupload.net/images/user/131104/722revwy.jpg

There have been several predecessors, previous attempts to create a common base for new and long-time players alike: providing information about the game, gathering tutorials and information about modified clients, introductions to the countless gametypes, descriptions and images, links to other exciting sites and projects... and what else you would like to contribute?
It shall become a kind of community, not like a forum but a place to create, share and update articles about our beloved game, showcasting and explaining its many faces. From basic introductions to in-depth analyses this upcoming project might host anything.

And therefore we need you!

Because you are creative, willing to write or interested to participate in another way, making graphics, correcting mistakes, adding information or translating existing articles into another language.
Yes, it is supposed to be international and multilingual.
That means: you found a good article and it is not present in another language you write? Feel free to translate it as a beginning for others to edit it further and be part of a growing database.

We aim to find people for our ambitious project, design and form are not determined yet, no proper team has been found, no content created so far, but we are a motivated group of people sharing one dream: to make the aforementioned outlined concept come true!

Let us joins forces, instead of a friendly competition amongst the different approaches to manage a "wiki". An openminded space, not limited to the original teeworlds parts, but the game it has become over the years.

[All graphics are copyrighted by their respective authors.]

Milestone reached:
We want to share a preview of our working example (click on the image to see a bigger version):
http://s1.directupload.net/images/user/131117/temp/bahyuauf.png
The styling is not yet perfect, some tiny detail need some work,
but it is meant to provide a first glimpse on the

TeeWiki

Re: let's start a new: Teeworlds Wiki

Finally we will have a place with good understandable tutorial on different languages smile
The idea of the wiki is not that fresh, however this one seems to be released as a serious project, so I really like it.
I'm ready to participate as:
- articles writer in english
- translator to russian
- search engine for copypasting articles from other websites tongue
- web programmer
- server provider (thanking my clan friends )

By the way, I know that you are experienced and responsible teeworlds player, I saw your forum activity; that means I can trust you wink

Any more volunteers?

3 (edited by traitor 2013-11-05 01:11:05)

Of course the idea is not new, but is supposed to be a project with capable people working on the technical aspects. They have knowledge of hosting and maintaining the server stuff, so it could last some time smile

Let me tell you about earlier announcements about a teeworlds "wiki":

Everywhere is information, sometimes just bits and pieces, on other sites great details about certain parts of the game... so crawling the web to gather those things is a good idea. Copy/paste for the greater good smile Well, at least when the information will be kept up to date (regarding developement progress for example or different gametypes).

a few things i'd like to see: an explanation for all commands (even unlisted) in f1 and f2, and an explanation of all entities in the main mods, especially ddrace, and a current list of the best mods for 0.6.

Sure thing, thats what I have in mind already.
Looking forward to see your contribution to those topics in particular.

Some articles like "best list of anything" require a more personal touch, but that is why a site like that needs constructive criticism and feedback.

Broken wrote:

a few things i'd like to see: an explanation for all commands (even unlisted) in f1 and f2, and an explanation of all entities in the main mods, especially ddrace, and a current list of the best mods for 0.6.

This would really help out. Please, this is badly needed.

I don't think there needs to be a separate Wiki for this though -- just add on to more to these links:

https://www.teeworlds.com/?page=docs&am … erCommands
https://www.teeworlds.com/?page=docs&am … erSettings

You can have them separated into two categories of commonly used ones and all commands.

JinAndJuice wrote:
Broken wrote:

This would really help out. Please, this is badly needed.

I don't think there needs to be a separate Wiki for this though -- just add on to more to these links:

https://www.teeworlds.com/?page=docs&am … erCommands
https://www.teeworlds.com/?page=docs&am … erSettings

You can have them separated into two categories of commonly used ones and all commands.

You are not the first who thinks that official documentation sux. We already ask devs to update it, but nothing was done for unknown reasons. That's why I'm happy to participate in starting Teeworlds Wiki and it's further development.

Do you guys have a website yet? I would love to get started!

-SALAD

SALAD wrote:

Do you guys have a website yet? I would love to get started!

Welcome, SALAD smile
We don't have a website yet, because we still don't know which CMS or wiki engine will be the best for our purposes.
I'm thinking about WackoWiki or BananaDance or MediaWiki(this one is too difficult for moderating and changing design). If you know any perfect opensource wikis, that use MySQL (the easiest for us), have multi-language features, and with simple cute interface - feel free to suggest, we can host and try it.

would love to help them try to make the translation to Portuguese

Thank you, that is the kind of the message I really appreciate here smile

I'd love to contribute & making an Italian translation if needed!

13 (edited by Fisico 2013-11-06 21:53:38)

I can offer you a teesites subdomain like.

wiki.teesites.net
teeworldswiki.teesites.net

« Owner of Teesites.net
« Domination Mod "Developer"
« Uptee Designer

Fisico wrote:

wiki.teesites.net

Thank you very much! First of all we need to chose which CMS/Wiki we will use, then set up it, make some teeish style, and after that we will take your time big_smile
Oh, can you hold wiki.teesites.net free for us for a while?

Shahan wrote:
Fisico wrote:

wiki.teesites.net

Thank you very much! First of all we need to chose which CMS/Wiki we will use, then set up it, make some teeish style, and after that we will take your time big_smile
Oh, can you hold wiki.teesites.net free for us for a while?

yea sure i hold up wiki.teesites.net for y wink

i think the best wiki is mediawiki like the official wikipedia
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki/

« Owner of Teesites.net
« Uptee Designer

16 (edited by traitor 2013-11-08 12:24:43)

Good news, thank you Fisico for your kind offer!
It is a trustworthy and well known domain, possibly one of the best option we have - besides teeworlds.com smile

update 8th Nov 2013

To keep you informed about our progress I would like to share our status.
Currently we are testing different wiki systems, comparing features and usability as well as style options (DokuWiki is a promising candidate). A few more days might pass until we can finally invite you to visit the site, but it is still going on.

In the meantime we appreciate any kind of encouragement, critique, comments, ideas and the like.
Or just your expression of future support or assistance cool

traitor wrote:
update 8th Nov 2013

To keep you informed about our progress I would like to share our status.
Currently we are testing different wiki systems, comparing features and usability as well as style options (DokuWiki is a promising candidate). A few more days might pass until we can finally invite you to visit the site, but it is still going on.

By the way, DocuWiki works without database (articles keeps in files). If anybody know really strong arguments againist it, please, write here your opinion.

If you like DocuWiki, then suggest us the templates you like (list of templates here: https://www.dokuwiki.org/template).

hmm i dont like this wiki...

why you dont use Mediawiki?

« Owner of Teesites.net
« Uptee Designer

19 (edited by traitor 2013-11-08 23:50:43)

Well from what I understand its the most versatile, but on the other hand most complex solution, difficult to use and bloated? Our solution must be user friendly so many people can configure it, maintain it and add content in the end.

Could you please be more precise what you do not like about DokuWiki, it might help us a lot. So far it seems to be fine for our purpose.

20 (edited by Fisico 2013-11-09 00:03:35)

traitor wrote:

Well from what I understand its the most versatile, but on the other hand most complex solution, difficult to use and bloated? Our solution must be user friendly so many people can configure it, maintain it and add content in the end.

Could you please be more precise what you do not like about DokuWiki, it might help us a lot. So far it seems to be fine for our purpose.

i dont know why i dont like it... but i dont like it wink

i think mediawiki (like the normal wiki) is the best solution...

as far as i know media wiki is the most used wiki software

« Owner of Teesites.net
« Uptee Designer

Good idea about the wiki and I also think too that mediawiki is a wiser choice. It's probably more familiar to everyone.
I could help for french translations if needed smile

Need a tool to manage your servers? teeman
<3

If you are in need of some graphics, please tell me.
Besides I can support the project by adding the design rules I have developed.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

I would prefer using mediawiki because it uses a database and dokuwiki not. A database makes searching in the wiki faster and most of the time the users are going to search for something in the wiki. Also the official wikipedia is mediawiki so most of the users are already familiar with mediawiki.
I don't know about the design part but this is not really important for a wiki I guess. A good logo like the old one from teewiki should be good enough smile

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

I'm up for helping this project! Far as I know, there hasn't been a solid Teeworlds wiki for a good long time.

I could help by typing articles about momentum and grappling hook physics. I'm sure I could help more too.
I'm very glad that there is (or maybe?) going to be a new Teeworlds wiki.

no

25 (edited by traitor 2013-11-09 16:00:55)

Yeah thats the crucial detail: there has not been a solid wiki. and we want to gather people who want to change this.

Great! Let me sum up what I can find on this thread so far:

SALAD: article writer
Lord Kirby [TP]: article writer
IiIRicardoIiI: content translator (portugese)
Zargon: article writer / content translator (italian)
floyd: content translator (french)
Shahan: wants to do pretty much everything smile site administration, article writer, translator (russian)
traitor: site administration, article writer, translator (german)
Fisico: teesites.net subdomain
Landil: graphics and design
We appreciate your offers, welcome smile

When the base is set up, we will certainely contact you, Landil.

I would suggest better you reply to those suggestions towards mediawiki, Shahan.
But is searching the most important thing? Sure you can do so, however a good link structure will provide fast access to related articles, overview pages might bundle information about specific topics and so on. We do not count on several thousand entries, so requesting files might be a good solution as well?

On the other hand a good look is important, everyone prefers nice deisgn which provide easy access and help to navigate on a website. But this can be edited most likely on any wiki system.
Teeworlds has a certain style and this website might be a good source of inspiration to express our association and make a familiar impression on first visit.