1 (edited by Pathos 2016-12-17 04:57:37)

Topic: [Tutorial] Raspberry Pi Raspian Teeworlds Server in Five Steps

I would recommend using screen ("apt-get install screen"). If you don't know what it is, go through these steps before you run any of the following steps. After you're done with this guide, look up screen tutorials and be amazed. Optional steps:

0.a. Run "apt-get install screen"
0.b. Run "screen"

The steps to compile the server from source
1. Check to make sure you have a) python3 and b) bam (apt-get install python3 bam)
2. Get the source of the TW (for example TW+ zip file is here -- "wget https://github.com/Teetime/teeworlds/archive/v0.7.5.zip")
3. Unpack/unzip everything (for example "unzip v0.7.5.zip")
4. Go to your unpacked directory and run "bam server_release"
5. Now, you have a binary file (for example tw+_srv) so you can run the command "./tw+_srv -f YOUR_CONFIG_FILE.cfg"

I'm not sure how the performances are, but on Pi 2, the server uses less than 5% CPU and 1% RAM (you can check this by using "top") so with ~20 kbps network traffic per player, make sure you tune your sv_max_clients accordingly. You also might be glad to know that previous versions of Pi have very good uptime (450 days of uptime so far).

There is one funny bug I noticed. I use an umlaut in my name (Päthos) and on the Pi server, my name shows up as Qäthos but without umlaut, it would just be Pathos. UTF8 is disallowed in the latest versions, so I'm assuming it has to do with that.

Well, Pi is popular and it's only $35 + SD card + power source, so I thought people might be interested in this instead of buying online services.

Credit goes to whitewolf

Re: [Tutorial] Raspberry Pi Raspian Teeworlds Server in Five Steps

Thanks for the guide!

I think it's `bam server_release` with an underscore instead of a hyphen.

heinrich5991 wrote:

Thanks for the guide!

I think it's `bam server_release` with an underscore instead of a hyphen.

Thanks, fixed typo.

How's this different from building/running teeworlds on any other platform that runs linux, though?

5 (edited by Pathos 2015-03-08 19:46:41)

fisted wrote:

How's this different from building/running teeworlds on any other platform that runs linux, though?

It really isn't, but some Linux distros have different words for same commands. I asked someone if I can host on the Pi and told me to go through so many different unnecessary things "just because it's ARM" (really frustrating to go through chain tools) and really, this was all that was needed. The official tutorial was lengthy too.

6 (edited by Ich 2015-03-14 05:10:05)

Great, Thanks! wink

7 (edited by wlansath 2015-04-10 16:20:38)

next tutorial porting  and run a Teeworlds server on Plan 9 / Inferno OS post pls...
thx

you should also add "apt-get install bam" in the guide wink

here is a DM server running on a Raspberry Pi v1 B
http://i.imgur.com/wmPVCHN.png

But in the server list the game type shows up as DM+ even when its dm in the config..

but yeah this is great for people who wants to make there own home server for Teeworlds !!

->My 24/7 servers: [NOR] Norwegian HUB <- Back Online !! big_smile
( My grammar is getting better ! smile I think.. )
-Norway

MertenNor wrote:

you should also add "apt-get install bam" in the guide wink

here is a DM server running on a Raspberry Pi v1 B
http://i.imgur.com/wmPVCHN.png

But in the server list the game type shows up as DM+ even when its dm in the config..

but yeah this is great for people who wants to make there own home server for Teeworlds !!

The bam command is in step #1.

Your server is showing as DM+ because the tutorial I wrote for this is TW+, not the vanilla Teeworlds. For vanilla Teeworlds, you'll have to use:

https://github.com/teeworlds/teeworlds/ … master.zip

(Correct me if I'm wrong on that last part)

thanks for this, i looking for thi stuff

you have to install a compiler (obviously). apt-get install build-essential

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

Thanks so much for this! I can now run a 24/7 server again! big_smile