Re: [SUGGESTION] Ideas for the next version

Hello,

I always wanted to post these pictures, but since I found this topic.. Yeah.
So.
I wanted to improve the map editor, so making maps becomes a lot more easy and fast.
Some of my ideas were some scrollbars, so you can add more layers, groups and images to the map.
Another thing I created, is the warning, when the map reached a certain size, so you know, how large the map is and if players want to / are able to download the map.
Okay, if you want some images.. I made some, this is why I said 'created'. wink

Well. I hope these suggestions won't be declined, I'd be glad to see them somwhen in the future smile

~ Pocram

» Use the Search-Function before asking questions!

nice ideas pocram, but:
200kib isnt that much to download
1000kib isnt the limit to be able to download the map wink 4500 is downloadable too...^^
too much images isnt that wrong too
append and move....didnt undestand it
helping panel is helpful (xD) and would be a good thing, but i thing its more easy to read a tutorial (and to create) as programme a helping panel....

SCROLLBARS are the most important thing, and they HAVE to be included in a new version!

Zeratul wrote:

nice ideas pocram, but:
200kib isnt that much to download
1000kib isnt the limit to be able to download the map wink 4500 is downloadable too...^^
too much images isnt that wrong too
append and move....didnt undestand it
helping panel is helpful (xD) and would be a good thing, but i thing its more easy to read a tutorial (and to create) as programme a helping panel....

SCROLLBARS are the most important thing, and they HAVE to be included in a new version!

500kb is the absolute max limit for a teeworlds map. Any more than that and you should start optimizing.

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

grummi wrote:
yemDX wrote:
grummi wrote:

I don't think so. Teeworlds isn't a game where you hide yourself.
If you would look at the official maps, you would see that there is no possibility to hide on any of them.

ctf5 has two spots, on the respective sides of the bases.

Are you are talking about this bush?
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5054/highk.png

It's not even there in low detail:
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6622/lowd.png

Yeah, the bushes. They are good hiding spots if you have the mini zombie skin and the other person does as well. I never have high detail, but for some reason everyone else (that I've played with) does. o_O

Ex-King of Teeworlds

30 (edited by vandal 2009-11-03 16:44:37)

Soldat server's releases are totally independent from client releases. Imo its good idea, it would prevent flooding forums by hundreds of posts like 'wtf? only X added?'.

31 (edited by Bee 2009-11-04 18:59:18)

For when we get accounts in the future, there should be the option to give comments to the map maker to give insight on how to make it better, or little bugs that are hard to find some times.

Lets say you think a map can be improved or has a bug. And you can wish to leave a comment on their account for them to see next time they load teeworlds. Then hit [Esc] go to "sever info" look to the right for "game info" then under the map name there will be the name of the person who made the map and a button to leave them a comment. smile

And for the people that don't want all the comments for their own reasons can chose to take off the [leave a comment] button, or not show that they made the map at all.

(P.S. I noised that some interesting ideas you misted when putting down all the ideas of the community.)
Ramps & curves:       > http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1046 <
Team blocking tiles: > http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4447 <
Actions when A.F.K.: > http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2669 <
Staying spectator:    > http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1668 <

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

For when we get accounts in the future, there should be the option to give comments to the map maker to give insight on how to make it better, or little bugs that are hard to find some times.

Lets say you think a map can be improved or has a bug. And you can wish to leave a comment on their account for them to see next time they load teeworlds. Then hit [Esc] go to "sever info" look to the right for "game info" then under the map name there will be the name of the person who made the map and a button to leave them a comment.

And for the people that don't want all the comments for their own reasons can chose to take off the [leave a comment] button, or not show that they made the map at all.

or a ticket-system for the serverhoster

Zeratul wrote:

or a ticket-system for the serverhoster

But that creates a middle man if the sever hoster isn't also the map maker. neutral

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

one more sugestion - please make consoles' timestamp readable ;}

Add a system when a player is on a spawning point after so and so seconds then he/she will die or the sever will move them.

This gets really annoying, especially if there is only one spawning point. And everyone in there team is stuck until they get off. >_<

Hi,
I think it would be nice to, trought an sv_upnp 1, activate an uPnP port forwading.
I don't realy know how does it work, but I think you can easily find some doc about it.

Mika.

Ps : Such as, we'll never see "how does I open the port" big_smile

|X-treme|Bee wrote:

Add a system when a player is on a spawning point after so and so seconds then he/she will die or the sever will move them.

This gets really annoying, especially if there is only one spawning point. And everyone in there team is stuck until they get off. >_<

its a good suggestion, but now you have to think if it is a good solution:
- auto-kicks arent included in any way in vanilla, as you are free to decide if you want to go to toilett or want to take a bottle
- moving? its a better solution, but now you have to think about, what if the player will fall down and die? (coz the map is build like this?)

however, im not a fan of both solutions, because i think the server shouldnt decide what to do with the player-position/player-connection in special-cases like this.
good solution are:
- create maps with more than 1 spawnpoint
- create maps with spawnpoints near over the ground, so you'll fall down and dont block the spawnpoint
- use modifications with inactivity-kicks
- use the kickvote-system

Zeratul wrote:

its a good suggestion, but now you have to think if it is a good solution:
- auto-kicks arent included in any way in vanilla, as you are free to decide if you want to go to toilett or want to take a bottle
- moving? its a better solution, but now you have to think about, what if the player will fall down and die? (coz the map is build like this?)

however, im not a fan of both solutions, because i think the server shouldnt decide what to do with the player-position/player-connection in special-cases like this.
good solution are:
- create maps with more than 1 spawnpoint
- create maps with spawnpoints near over the ground, so you'll fall down and dont block the spawnpoint
- use modifications with inactivity-kicks
- use the kickvote-system

I wasn't thinking auto-kick.
Good point...but if the player is being a noob, then he kind of deserves it. And if they are inactive then that is the punishment.
How about they get sent to spectator and they can come back when the chose so?
Or...in the maps spawning points when a tee is in the way then there will be up to 8 other emergence spawning points now open for only at the moment for players to go out of.

Picture:
http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu177/Really_now/new-spawn-points.jpg

How about they get sent to spectator and they can come back when the chose so?

good idea, but you only if you dont lose your points for changing the teams. otherwise you get punished --> wrong way
or you save the scores if you get switched to spec coz of inactivity-specjoining, or that you dont lose your points for this.
but with inactiviy-specjoining you shouldn forget that this team will have 1 less player. because of this a other player could join the game, and if the max-players are reached now? now this player will be reeeeeally sad wink

Or...in the maps spawning points when a tee is in the way then there will be up to 8 other emergence spawning points now open for only at the moment for players to go out of.

its a nice idea, but the team could get a advantage, so it could be used as cheating^^
also, if you do it in this way, you could even allow to spawn even if the spawnpoint is occupied, like in racemods (i think its included there...)

40 (edited by Bee 2009-11-06 21:42:45)

Zeratul wrote:

good idea, but you only if you dont lose your points for changing the teams. otherwise you get punished --> wrong way
or you save the scores if you get switched to spec coz of inactivity-specjoining, or that you dont lose your points for this.
but with inactiviy-specjoining you shouldn forget that this team will have 1 less player. because of this a other player could join the game, and if the max-players are reached now? now this player will be reeeeeally sad wink

Agreed.
And the last one: Even if the max # of players is reached they can still re-join...unless the sever let's 16 players in, but only lets 14 of them play... which would be weird, but I get your point.

Zeratul wrote:

its a nice idea, but the team could get a advantage, so it could be used as cheating^^

Cheating...? How, just because they have emergence spawns open? I don't get it...

Zeratul wrote:

also, if you do it in this way, you could even allow to spawn even if the spawnpoint is occupied, like in racemods (i think its included there...)

I don't see the problem in this. neutral

[Side note] @ Azon: I was just wondering why no ideas were in green?
None of these are for sure a go?

41 (edited by Lanta 2009-11-07 20:19:47)

I have an idea for the next version... ^^
Until 1st november i had a very nice ADSL connection, 20 mega with FAST setup, 0% packet lost, really low ping thanks to QoS and P2P limiter.
After, my ISP got some problems, and now that they are working, I've tested a new type of connection, that remember me a low-cost adsl where there is 10-15% of packet loss. The ping is the same, but 15 packets on 100 are gone.
The Teeworlds gameplay didn't changed so much, i got more lags and sometimes disconnections from the server.
But I've noticed the ping is the same as before.
So I finally realised that the ping is not the only indicator of the quality of a line, but it's the only shown in the game (scoreboard).
I've played other games, like the opensource Sauerbraten based on Cube2, that got a different system.

* if the connection has packetloss. There is no direct indicator of packetloss, instead the "packet jump" figure is provided on the hud (use "showscores"). Packet jump says as much as the amount of milliseconds that pass between updates from the indicated player. If it is extremely variable, or is high(>80) then your gameplay may be hampered (players jumping from place to place). Ideally it is a steady 40 or lower. A consistent packet jump is more vital to gameplay than ping. There is also player prediction based on extrapolation using the physics model, in an attempt to be both as up to date as possible in relation to the game state, and as realistic with regards to physics. However, under packet loss this model breaks down and player movement becomes choppy.
    * if ping is high (either yours or someone you play with), some actions may appear lagged. The effect of ping is generally that the players in a game are effectively playing more and more seperate games, as someone with a high ping is "playing in the past". The local effects of this are masked out by client side movement & aim, but may become noticable across players:
          o you may get hit by someone even though you are already out of his view. This is because he is aiming at your movements of a while ago, and his hits take a while to arrive back at you. You may therefore be hit by gunfire up to his lag + your lag milliseconds after you leave his FOV.
          o item pickup: you may be denied an item if you try to pick it up at virtually the same time as someone else (server decides who was "first"). Item pickup is server side, only when you hear the sound effect have you actually picked up the item.
          o players dying appears lagged. This will improve.
    * if a player is severely lagged (or you are) he temporarily becomes a "ghost" that cannot be hit (if >1sec packet jump).

I think this is a great idea, and the same could be applied on Teeworlds. This could made Teeworlds more accessible from bad connections and other locations. What do you think?

Another problem that Sauerbraten developers solved is the cheating problem... and I think it's the same way that Teeworlds dev are using:

You will notice that the engine plays and responds better on a high ping connection than most games out there; the reason for this is that just about everything is done clientside, not just movement (as is common in games today) but also aim (the fat client / thin server model).

The benefits of this are that the effects of lag are minimised, and someone on a 200 ping can compete on an almost even playing field with someone with a 20 ping, the disadvantages are mainly in that its harder to combat cheating. Further advantages for server admins are that servers use virtually no cpu, and very little bandwidth for a lot of clients (you can host a 4 player game on a modem!).

Isn't it? Ignoring it?

PS: link to the text i quoted http://www.sauerbraten.org/docs/game.html#multiplayer

Support Staff - ESL.eu Teeworlds Admin

|X-treme|Bee wrote:

[Side note] @ Azon: I was just wondering why no ideas were in green? None of these are for sure a go?

As my knowledge of the developers mindset is limited the only certain features are those that the developers decide to comment on. Unless the developers decide to comment on a specific suggestion or add something to a future release it is difficult to list things in green.

43 (edited by TuX. 2009-11-08 00:48:56)

Hello,

it would be very nice if the teeworlds client supports ingame menus that can be accessed by the teeworlds server. It would give a lot of possibilities to server-mods.

Hey, how about a tile that allows you to walk through it, but you can't shoot through it? This would be interesting to make things as bases where Tees can spawn in, like in TF2.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Some in-game music? It'd be very cool if you could drop some .mp3s/.oggs/whatever into the Teeworlds directory and it'll play, for example, menu.mp3 when you're in the main menu, dm1.mp3 when you're playing the map dm1, etc. From there you could perhaps commission a musician to make some music for Teeworlds.

$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found

Marty Chang wrote:

Some in-game music? It'd be very cool if you could drop some .mp3s/.oggs/whatever into the Teeworlds directory and it'll play, for example, menu.mp3 when you're in the main menu, dm1.mp3 when you're playing the map dm1, etc. From there you could perhaps commission a musician to make some music for Teeworlds.

I don't like the idea... btw, if it will be done, please remember to add an option to disable music. There are some players that still loves the media player in the background. xD

Support Staff - ESL.eu Teeworlds Admin

Marty Chang wrote:

In general nice idea but not necessary right now as you can see the menu music from 0.1.0 was removed since it consumes so much data space in relation to the whole game maybe you should come back with such that idea at a final state of the game

btw old Menu music

Well, the music could just be added in by the user (say, by moving a song of their choice into the Teeworlds directory and renaming it), or in a separate download, if you're concerned about bandwidth.

$DO || ! $DO ; try
try: command not found

Marty Chang wrote:

i think this is really useless, because, as already said before by Lanta:

There are some players that still loves the media player in the background. xD

and if you dont like the media player you are free to use other programmes to listen 2 ur fav. music (VLC-Player etc.....)

Any feedback about uPnP ?

Mika.