101 (edited by Oblique. 2015-06-11 17:30:55)

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

I didn't exactly intend it to be, but I'll try to churn out a more teeish animation as soon as I get the time. Thanks.

A is for Apple.

It looks good but not teeish enough indeed, in my opinion.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

Even though it's not at the expense of vanilla, mods use the big Teeworlds playerbase to get people.

Maybe at the very beginning that was true, but now vanilla is a minority, so it's rather vanilla using mods playerbase. tongue But I understand your frustration - mods are using vanilla codebase all the time. However, if you want to be fair and listen to what people want, you should take into account the behaviour of majority... and the majority likes mods. Especially if they only ask to make them briefly mentioned, even if these gamemodes are like 4 times more popular.

Dune wrote:

In practice, it has worked the other way around - people going casual with mods and not bothering to play vanilla => lack of newbies in CTF servers => newbies get smashed.

If they're going to stay in vanilla, they'll get better and smash the newbies anyway.

Dune wrote:

That's the same to me.

That's not the same, we only want you to acknowledge that mods exists in official trailer. If you can't showcase them (which, after some thinking, seems reasonable), at least make a part with some random footage of cool moments from various mods (without showing their names), please.

Dune wrote:

What? It's only normal to show the official game in an official trailer.

Typically it would indeed be so, but in Teeworlds the majority of players is playing mods (about 85%, actually). Therefore saying that vanilla is the one true way to play Teeworlds is not fair.

Dune wrote:

That's still a biais if you show only a few mods.

If we show them without naming them, that won't really be a problem.

Dune wrote:

See - here you defined the mods you want to see with arbitrary criteria. If there was to be one, I would have picked some very different ones. That's the tricky part and why I think including modifications gameplay in the official trailer is bad.
Maybe some teeish ones that were considered for official integration (there was race and another one) would suit, in my opinion.

I understand that, but as I said - we can't avoid bias at all (we anyway promote vanilla more, even if it's far less popular), but if we preview mods without naming them, it may reduce the bias to a negligible level.

Fixed solution (I repaired the parts, which other tees proved to be wrong):
We should add a short (maybe 30-45 seconds) part, with a gameplay from various mods, at the very end of the first video. Mods should not be labeled, to avoid bias. This will notify people that the possibilities are endless, without really attracting them to mods more.

steam version should focus on presenting teeworlds well, thats why i deem the mod discussion useless. even if i myself almost only play mods. a discussion wether some mods may become official can take place, but not here.
considering the presenting of teeworlds, i think the videos quite well, except for featuring both to much grenade kills, and especially short sketches of few seconds just to show that one cool kill. some solid and continous gameplay, including teamwork, should be also visible, if you do not want to declare your game as short solo play during breaks (which it is good for nonetheless) entirely. also the music in both cases entirely made me stop looking at the video and thinking how anyone could have picked something worse.

tutorial is highly needed. pictures not enough, videos at least, some hardcoded ingame one even better.

also, achievements would be very cool. id strongly suggest not to take the steam specific ones, but make ingames one that are then easily linked to the steam ones. you probably underestimate how much such simple work can contribute to motivation of people.
ill ot get specific here, some basic one should be well enough for the start (kills, wins, flag captures) and anything else can be discussed elsewhere.

while you do nt need to consider right now, you should keep in mind another distribution platform, gog with their upcoming launcher called galaxy. i deem it a way fewer, but much more fitting platform and audience. if its out and polished enough, right now just wait.

105 (edited by Oblique. 2015-06-12 01:58:53)

Hey, so I reworked the trailer a little bit. The demo may or may not be temporary, as it's just me moving around on ctf7. If we get some submissions, I might end up replacing it with some actual gameplay. However, my computer is simply too old to be able to film a screencast without it looking kind of laggy. So hopefully I get to fix that soon. Anyways, tell me if you want anything fixed.

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/dq8svgyy … ation2.avi

(it's going to be clipped near the end, of course. Also, don't watch it in the browser. It'll only make it look even more grainy)

A is for Apple.

Now I think this is the current topic.. Vanilla doesn't seem to be popular with newbies. Too many flying round things with large bullets flying out of them for odd reasons that keep killing them too fast yikes and they keep twirling their gun around. However, if they knew what was going on, then they can do the same thing, and play vanilla without having to deal with not being able to play due to being dead most of the time. That's how I see it, as that's how I've experienced it.

Landil wrote:

"Vanilla teeworlds is as dead as it gets."

Vanilla teeworlds is doing great. It's played regularly on local LAN-parties in the whole world (as people report).

What. That isn't the reason vanilla teeworlds is doing great, (It is true, even I got my teeworlds start in a LAN server setup by my brother, but we don't play vanilla on LAN anymore.) it's all of the competitive clans.

You know, AEON, xron, Ares, dgt., EVIL, Touhou, Allianz, etc.

But your point still stands big_smile

no

Oblique. wrote:

Hey, so I reworked the trailer a little bit. The demo may or may not be temporary, as it's just me moving around on ctf7. If we get some submissions, I might end up replacing it with some actual gameplay. However, my computer is simply too old to be able to film a screencast without it looking kind of laggy. So hopefully I get to fix that soon. Anyways, tell me if you want anything fixed.

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/dq8svgyy … ation2.avi

(it's going to be clipped near the end, of course. Also, don't watch it in the browser. It'll only make it look even more grainy)

I once did a trailer, but unfortunatly it was destroyed completely incl. all drawn draphics.

This is how it worked:
- Black background fades into jungle landscape
- A ninja tee swings from the background into the foreground
- It uses the katana and cuts screen into two slices, which fall off
- original teeworlds logo appears
- teeworlds demos ...

your video:
Make it the other way round! Start with a blur and the teeworlds logo and then sharpen it to the actual game graphic / show demos (incl. sound) ...

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Landil wrote:

I once did a trailer, but unfortunatly it was destroyed completely incl. all drawn draphics.

This is how it worked:
- Black background fades into jungle landscape
- A ninja tee swings from the background into the foreground
- It uses the katana and cuts screen into two slices, which fall off
- original teeworlds logo appears
- teeworlds demos ...

your video:
Make it the other way round! Start with a blur and the teeworlds logo and then sharpen it to the actual game graphic / show demos (incl. sound) ...

Sounds awesome, I am sorry for you!

One intro I have thought of would be the Teeworlds logo in front of blurred gameplay. But the gameplay would show a whole map at first (you could use a client with zooming-ability), would slowly zoom into the action going on down there and end in a close-up of a cool kill, fading into darkness. Then more gameplay could be shown. Of course, this should fit with appropriate music. But I don't know if such an intro is even possible to make (how far are Tees rendered?).

However I like your idea way more, it would make for a real cool intro! Was it made of gameplay, or did you animate the intro yourself?
I think Teeworlds is perfectly suitable for real animated (3D-)trailers (I could imagine the splash tee on the front page in an animated trailer), but it would be too hard to make, I guess.

Loving TW since 2010 smile

109 (edited by Oblique. 2015-06-12 14:51:08)

You guys ought to make a trailer! big_smile

@Landil: I really like your ninja slicing across the screen idea. I'll try to recreate that, and hopefully it won't look to messy. It likely will not be animated, because that would be unnecessarily time-consuming and it would probably look worse in the end anyways.

About the music: I have no taste in music and I have no knowledge in sound track editing (Audacity blows my mind), so I'll leave that up to somebody else who can do a better job.

A is for Apple.

Oblique. wrote:

About the music: I have no taste in music and I have no knowledge in sound track editing (Audacity blows my mind), so I'll leave that up to somebody else who can do a better job.

Maybe some Drum 'n' Bass?

I can search around.

I don't project my insecurities on other people.

Well that's nice, it got already Greenlit

We did this, GJ big_smile

Congratulations! big_smile
May I ask how it is going to continue now?

The end is near... RUUUN!!!!

Congratulations! tongue The light is on!

JonastheRoman wrote:

Congratulations! big_smile
May I ask how it is going to continue now?

I currently don't have the best Internet access, so publishing it on Steam might take a few days.

Wow, good job on getting greenlit so fast! :)

Not Luck, Just Magic.

117 (edited by HeroiAmarelo 2015-06-13 17:03:10)

Great news! Congratulations to the team! big_smile

Oh btw... Can't I have this video on the steam page as well? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6orvZxsVcU sad Please? No?

Oh... Btw. Arent you guys worried that now that Teeworlds will get a bit more popular, some random dudes will start DDoSing the Master servers? I mean... It's a possibility

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

118 (edited by baus 2015-06-13 14:43:56)

I realize that certain officials here seem to be kind of ignorant. However, I'll just post it again, what the hell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pyUoUuYNbE  This video should be added at least as the second trailer to steam. I mean, common people? What is wrong with you? You have to show ingame-material of the mods, too. Also, this trailer technically is much better than the other 2. And last but not least: IT ACTUALLY SHOWS COHERENT GAMEPLAY. The other trailers are cutted like crazy...

Music:

Probably I'm alone again but even though I find whatever music acceptable that attracts new players I'd like to make a few untypical suggestions. Nowadays you often get dubstep, drum and bass etc. in trailers and stuff.

How about something different?

Beach Boys - I Get Around    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnPL5OXSBNE

Beatles - Happiness Is A Warm Gun ( Yes, i basically chose that cuz' of that line but still^^ maybe one could work some parts of the song into a trailer.)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTU2Y0VFH0E

Cypress Hill - Rise Up  I'd consider it a great vibe for a trailer.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iatjMEp3bxw (only US-ip i think) + live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O42hwPtUO2Y

I like this movie very much, baus. The problem I see with it is that it doesn't always say what gamemodes you actually see. It would be weird to see such things like Fly or DDRace when the official description says nothing about it. Also, it features many different players, which is odd for an official trailer. IF we would like to present mods, we should do it in a different way, e.g. like it got suggested earlier in this thread (short glimpses etc.)

As for the music, you cannot just use copyrighted music in an official trailer.

120 (edited by baus 2015-06-13 15:27:29)

JonastheRoman wrote:

I like this movie very much, baus. The problem I see with it is that it doesn't always say what gamemodes you actually see. It would be weird to see such things like Fly or DDRace when the official description says nothing about it. Also, it features many different players, which is odd for an official trailer. IF we would like to present mods, we should do it in a different way, e.g. like it got suggested earlier in this thread (short glimpses etc.)

As for the music, you cannot just use copyrighted music in an official trailer.

The other trailers also have a bunch of different players in them. I didn't count but that argument seems rather strange.

Also, I already wrote this in another post: "If you don't include a description in your trailer that shows how to search for vanilla servers specifically, you can just as well make a trailer with the most spectacular scenes out of different mods (including vanilla) and simply don't give the names of the mods.
That way you have the same result: People who decided to try out teeworlds will randomely visit servers and coincidentally play different gametypes, may it be ddrace, instagib, vanilla or something else..."

Concerning the music:

Of course you can't "just use copyrighted music in an offical trailer".

1. It was generally meant as a suggestion to think in other ways musicwise. I have no intention of specifically promoting "my" songs here for the trailer.

2. I really have no idea how expensive it would be to put such music in a trailer for this relatively small game. However, if you completely rule out copyrighted music, you could have a hard time finding something really good.
(Of course, small artists that are independent and have a say about that sort of stuff may give you their o.k. for free with the hope of being advertised for free.) ...
Btw: Is it even copyright that matters here? Isn't it rather right of use? I'm no expert but I thought that copyrights are always with the artists whereas the right of use can be in the hands of a music label for example.

121 (edited by Kirbs 2015-06-14 05:30:36)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP9njU6j-90

cmon guys this is what u need

Also, oblique seems to be working on a trailer. Be patient and it will be amazing.

***But like Jonas said, you can't just use copyrighted music!***

However, this fits well as well. and I have permission to use it, because it was made a friend of mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNJdijgQ36s

I don't know.

no

Hey guys,

So I tried out Landil's idea, and hopefully it works out okay. Kirby sent me a ton of awesome demos (I just started looking through them tonight) which helped a lot. Like I said, any old demos you have, SEND 'EM TO ME. Also, Kirby volunteered to do all the soundtrack editing and stuff, so tell him "Thanks, you're the best Kirby!".

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/rv7bfax8 … ation6.avi
Once again, tell me if you want anything fixed.

A is for Apple.

123 (edited by Kirbs 2015-06-14 05:28:32)

Hey I haven't done any soundtrack editing for this thing yet ;O

But thanks for the thanks in advance smile I mean nothing's set in stone yet.

EDIT: *starts watching your trailer startup:* "Oh look its mee"

no

By the way, do we still need a trailer if Teeworlds is already greenlit? Just wondering.

A is for Apple.

Even so, it would be a good advertisement, if you had the footage, and then at the end had the logo again. Could be about 1 minute long or so.  Also, looks awesome at startup big_smile

no