26 (edited by Shahan 2013-11-09 17:08:47)

Re: let's start a new: Teeworlds Wiki

Thank you very much for your replies smile
It's really important to chose the most perferct wiki engine, before anything else is going to be done. Let me explain, why I'd prefer DocuWiki instead MediaWiki:
1) easy to set up and configure. If anybody doesn't agree, I will send a PM with admin login and password for the demos of MediaWiki and DocuWiki, which work for test on a free web server. You can just look at admin interface, I'm sure you will like DocuWiki much more.
2) low system requirements. It's really important too. MediaWiki is too big and demanding too powerful server, especially when there are more than 100 visitors in a moment on the website. Also, if the server will down for some reasons, it's possible to create mirror on any apache server just by copying all the files to the mirror.
3) No database. At first, I also thought that it's a disadvantage. But I read this https://www.dokuwiki.org/faq:database and now I don't see anything bad in the lack of DB. Also, I looked through the DocuWiki's users reports: DocuWiki works very fast when it stores up to 50 000 articles. Will we crapeate more than 50 000 articles? About the search: Docuwiki has indexing system, the search should be fast enough.
4) Easy implementation to anywhere, of everything, aka plugins. If you use mediawiki, you make a website, that suits mediawiki. If you make a website, DocuWiki will suit it. I mean, if anybody else will maintain our wiki in the future (teeworlds.com devs team, for example), they will be able to implement wiki to their website, for example, intergrate forum users' database as authenfication backend.
5) DocuWiki structure is easy to change, we can add sidebars that we want, any panels that we want, and we can very very easily change design stylesheet. Had anybody tryed to change design of mediawiki? I tryed, it's really difficult.

By the way, there are many free templates for DocuWiki, so we can use one of them as start base, and edit it to make something teeish smile

Feel free to discuss my arguments for DocuWiki, i'm still ready to change a choice.

we dont need a teeworlds design for a wiki... mediawiki with a teeish logo is the best you can do.

Searching is the most important you need for a wiki.

as Sushi said mediawiki is the better choice

« Owner of Teesites.net
« Domination Mod "Developer"
« Uptee Designer

Fisico wrote:

we dont need a teeworlds design for a wiki... mediawiki with a teeish logo is the best you can do.

Searching is the most important you need for a wiki.

as Sushi said mediawiki is the better choice

Please no mediawiki, it looks too feature-complete and boring.

29 (edited by traitor 2013-11-18 01:27:24)

Rest assured, we decided to give dokuwiki a try
and we want to share a preview of our working example (click on the image to see a bigger version):
http://s1.directupload.net/images/user/131117/temp/bahyuauf.png

The styling is not yet perfect, some tiny detail need some work,
but it is meant to provide a first glimpse on the

TeeWiki

as soon as we are ready we will tell you its web address!

Yet I want to thank the current contributors: Shahan for code and server and Landil for the header graphic.

I like it. It fits pretty good to the teeworlds page as its using the same background.

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

Sushi Tee wrote:

I like it. It fits pretty good to the teeworlds page as its using the same background.

Thank you smile
And I hope you will like dokuwiki too.

By the way, do you know a quick way to contact Fisico?

32 (edited by Sushi Tee 2013-11-18 23:39:53)

Through me.

I don't know much about dokuwiki. Well i don't know much about mediawiki either. I was just reading on the net and because of this I would have chosen mediawiki. After my post about this I read more about all of this and I would consider using dokuwiki as well smile

teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

Could you ask please Fisico to read his PM in this forum?

Now where i have seen the wiki in big i have some things i would like to be "fixed".
First the mouse over over the logo... the "???" don't fit. Then the box shadow in the content section is totally ugly.
And about the logo. The little "Tee wiki" under the logo should be right and big and instead remove the big "Tee wiki" text as it doesn't fit together at all.
The links at the left could be a bit more beautiful smile

The rest seems good... hope this helps.

*gV* rox ^^

35 (edited by Shahan 2013-11-22 14:07:49)

Thanks, SushiTee, we changed design, I hope it's better now (thanks @Landil for logo again big_smile)

Huge screenshot here(1348x3334)(230kb)

@Fisico: is it better, than just MediaWiki default design with own logo? smile

36 (edited by Fisico 2013-11-22 22:03:27)

I found some strange things....

http://i.imgur.com/Fn3m0Uk.png

the rest seems good wink

« Owner of Teesites.net
« Uptee Designer

Fisico wrote:

I found some strange things....

http://i.imgur.com/Fn3m0Uk.png

the rest seems good wink

Thank you for your opinion.
1. Remove the ugly font.
That means the wiki won't have a name/heading? Probably, the font style and color is not that good as it could be, but I don't think we have to remove it at all, the hreading will keep teeish style better, than just a logo.

2. Center the breadcrumb in height.
3. Center the text in heaigh (translation).
About both 2 and 3: we are thinking about text style for both things, the problem is a background color. We can add something like a white tabs (like in this forum).

4. Make the boxes 50% less height.
Okay..

5. Remove the donate button.
Right. Also we need some cute banners(buttons and logos): teeworlds, teesites, and probably some sponsors.
So, is it okay if we'll take some pictures from Uptee and Race websites?

Shahan wrote:

2. Center the breadcrumb in height.
3. Center the text in heaigh (translation).
About both 2 and 3: we are thinking about text style for both things, the problem is a background color. We can add something like a white tabs (like in this forum).

Tabs for the breadcrumbs and the lamguage selection? I don't really get it.

Shahan wrote:

So, is it okay if we'll take some pictures from Uptee and Race websites?

Ofc it's ok. Btw we are still looking for race hosters in north america and asia ^^

*gV* rox ^^

Yet again it is some days ago since my last post here, nevertheless we are still going on smile

Currently we focus on introduction and wiki tutorials, to help future writers becoming familiar with code formatting and content structure.
I'd say an opening is not that far ahead.

I did not use the official logo style by purpose. It's not perfect, yeah. But it's good enuf for the first run. Maybe I will find some time in the xmas holidays smile

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Thanks a lot, your efforts are really appreciated!

I love your idea and i hope you will make it come true. big_smile smile

If you do , I could help you by translating into german or writing new things.  cool

I Love Teeworlds <3

Yesterday I met Apmox in game, and now I have good news: he is ready to translate articles into italian in his free time smile

44 (edited by traitor 2013-11-30 23:31:45)

Good, the ranks are still growing!

SALAD: article writer
Lord Kirby [TP]: article writer
IiIRicardoIiI: content translator (portugese)
Zargon: article writer / content translator (italian)
Apmox: content translator (italian)
floyd: content translator (french)
Deathman: article writer / content translator (german)
Shahan: wants to do pretty much everything smile site administration, article writer, translator (russian)
traitor: site administration, article writer, translator (german)
Fisico: teesites.net subdomain
Landil: graphics and design support

We appreciate your offers, just grant us a little bit more time cool

edit: sorry, this was not meant to question your offer, fisico, I just was not sure about it.

yep yep you still get the subdomain... wink

« Owner of Teesites.net
« Uptee Designer

I want to be a writer as well sad

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

Fisico wrote:

yep yep you still get the subdomain... wink

We'll use this ability soon smile

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

I want to be a writer as well sad

I have something special for you ^^ I'll explain in skype or PM.

I can help translate to norwegian and of course contribute to topics. Though im not sure about my ability to see things through tongue

holymadtee wrote:

I can help translate to norwegian and of course contribute to topics. Though im not sure about my ability to see things through tongue

You're welcome smile Just give us a time to write some minor articles first ^^

// offtopic stuff deleted //

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!