1 (edited by JonastheRoman 2013-09-08 11:25:46)

Topic: [Discussion thread] Name 3 things you want to see in 0.7

Please use this post to discuss solutions and ideas of "3 things you want to see in 0.7 thread" // Landil

traitor wrote:

(...)
+ Reaching more players. (its close to impossible to find this game on your own without someone showing it to you)

Whats about an official signature, that people can use in forums? (I would use it gladly)

Loving TW since 2010 smile

Re: [Discussion thread] Name 3 things you want to see in 0.7

I do not get you. What do you mean with "official signature"? Do you mean a graphic signature?

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

3 (edited by frecel 2013-09-08 19:08:24)

He probably means a signature generated by some stat tracking server.

Let me join the interpretation smile
It is probably about some advertising banner, something to draw the attention and you can click on it to be linked to teeworlds.com for example.
In my opinion this is a bit outdated, have not seen it lately, but some software creators provide a few images in different resolutions and embed codes for other websites.

We could discuss about an Accoun-System.

theunknown wrote:

We could discuss about an Accoun-System.

Why do people want one?

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

You can add friends by their user ID. Will know if the person is real and not some faker. Easier management than with IP addresses imo. If you look at how steam handles users, that is generally what i would like to see.

If that's the only reason you need a auth system here's a simple three step solution.

1) Connect to quakenet
2) type /msg frecel is that you on that server
3) then I will type /msg Zgokee yes

Authentication completed!

This authentication method saves hours of coding, megabytes of bandwith and tons of frustration if auth server would ever go down.

frecel wrote:

If that's the only reason you need a auth system here's a simple three step solution.

1) Connect to quakenet

This authentication method saves hours of coding, megabytes of bandwith and tons of frustration if auth server would ever go down.

You realize that the number of people who play teeworlds who would be willing to do that is tiny right?
Also, authing is not the only reason for an account system. An account system makes it A LOT easier to organize and maintain a clan. The ability to PM your clanmates when they are offline makes it simple to organize clan events in advance without going to an external messaging client. I know for a fact(from lots of personal experience) that teeworlds players find it a chore to use external clients to keep in touch with their clan. The players(including myself) would much rather use teeworlds as an all-in-one. Also, the whole KISS principle can easily be applied to an account system(So don't retort with that argument)

-SALAD

SALAD wrote:

You realize that the number of people who play teeworlds who would be willing to do that is tiny right?

I do realize that. I wasn't being completely serious.

SALAD wrote:

Also, authing is not the only reason for an account system.

I know. But communication was the only reason mentioned by Zgo

SALAD wrote:

An account system makes it A LOT easier to organize and maintain a clan. (...)I know for a fact(from lots of personal experience) that teeworlds players find it a chore to use external clients to keep in touch with their clan. The players(including myself) would much rather use teeworlds as an all-in-one.

This is purely an opinion. Using an external instant messenger was never an issue for me when I used to be a CL.

SALAD wrote:

The ability to PM your clanmates when they are offline makes it simple to organize clan events in advance without going to an external messaging client.

SALAD wrote:

Also, the whole KISS principle can easily be applied to an account system(So don't retort with that argument)

WHAT‽ So you want teeworlds accounts to be not only an ingame auth service but also an IM network. I think this is going far beyond my understanding of KISS.

I don't see why you can't use Teeworlds combined with services like Steam, Xfire or Garena to inform you who is actually online and to be able to quickly communicate with your teammates.

SALAD wrote:
frecel wrote:

1) Connect to quakenet

Also, authing is not the only reason for an account system. An account system makes it A LOT easier to organize and maintain a clan. The ability to PM your clanmates when they are offline makes it simple to organize clan events in advance without going to an external messaging client. I know for a fact(from lots of personal experience) that teeworlds players find it a chore to use external clients to keep in touch with their clan. The players(including myself) would much rather use teeworlds as an all-in-one. Also, the whole KISS principle can easily be applied to an account system(So don't retort with that argument)

That's completly right, there would be a bigger community. An Accountsystem wouldn't fuck off the older players and would get a lot of now ones. LOL

theunknown wrote:

That's completly right, there would be a bigger community. An Accountsystem wouldn't fuck off the older players and would get a lot of now ones. LOL

It would get new players how exactly? People would look at TW and say "I saw this game before and decided that it wasn't something for me but now it has an account system so now I have to play it!"?

13 (edited by SALAD 2013-09-09 07:16:18)

frecel wrote:
theunknown wrote:

It would get new players how exactly? People would look at TW and say "I saw this game before and decided that it wasn't something for me but now it has an account system so now I have to play it!"?

An account system is an attractive feature for players looking into a game. It's something that they are used to and they expect from online games.
I speak from personal experience when I say this. Players are not likely to be willing to use external services. I mentioned that in my previous post.
Having the account system integrated into teeworlds would allow players to keep in touch with your buddies and your clan simply.
For example: You promised your teeworlds buddy you'd play some ddrace with him tonight, but forgot that you have to study for a test. Shoot him a message saying "Hey man I won't be able to make it on tonight, I expect to be able to pop on tomorrow! I'll give you a shout when I do."
Also my understanding of KISS is adding new features, but not making too complicated to induce confusion upon new players. The game must be easy to pick up and hard to put down.
Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it's easy to implement an account system. What i'm saying is that implementing a account system is a really good idea.

EDIT: Not to mention, people with weak computers (Since teeworlds is a low memory game, it's a common for people with low memory to be drawn to play it) lag with external messaging clients open. I especially used to lag with steam open and since steams accounts is the closest you can get to having an account system in teeworlds, it's kind of a bummer when you lag while using it.

-SALAD

14 (edited by frecel 2013-09-09 08:10:35)

SALAD wrote:

An account system is an attractive feature for players looking into a game. It's something that they are used to and they expect from online games.

To some players, an account system is an attractive feature when looking into a game. It's something that some players are used to and what some players expect from online games. FTFY

SALAD wrote:

I speak from personal experience when I say this. Players are not likely to be willing to use external services. I mentioned that in my previous post.

<sarcasm> Yes, you are completely right. And since there is no auth system in game now no one is talking to anyone unless they are in game</sarcasm>

SALAD wrote:

Having the account system integrated into teeworlds would allow players to keep in touch with your buddies and your clan simply.
For example: You promised your teeworlds buddy you'd play some ddrace with him tonight, but forgot that you have to study for a test. Shoot him a message saying "Hey man I won't be able to make it on tonight, I expect to be able to pop on tomorrow! I'll give you a shout when I do."

Nothing is preventing me from doing it now. Actually I always have IRC and Pidgin running so to communicate with others through those I don't have to start TW which saves me one extra step.

SALAD wrote:

Also my understanding of KISS is adding new features, but not making too complicated to induce confusion upon new players. The game must be easy to pick up and hard to put down.
Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it's easy to implement an account system. What i'm saying is that implementing a account system is a really good idea.

If TW would be getting an auth system wtih KISS philosophy there would be no chat involved there since the primary reason most games have accounts is to prevent cheating and permaban people who manage to get cheats working. Also it's not only not easy, it's expensive too. Auth servers are by their nature a lot easier to DDOS so it would have to run on a separate machine from the master server and preferably on a separate network. The sysadmin would have to keep an onsite and offsite backup so we don't loose the db every time a disaster strikes. In order to keep the server uptime above 90% a mirror server might be required. An SSL or other certificate might be a good idea so that just kicks up the cost of the server up by about $100 or more. It's not just a few lines of code that are required here. I'm pretty sure that if devs would decide on going with the auth server idea the donation banner would make a comeback.

SALAD wrote:

EDIT: Not to mention, people with weak computers (Since teeworlds is a low memory game, it's a common for people with low memory to be drawn to play it) lag with external messaging clients open. I especially used to lag with steam open and since steams accounts is the closest you can get to having an account system in teeworlds, it's kind of a bummer when you lag while using it.

I have never in my life heard someone say "I should turn off [insert IRC client here], it's eating too much memory/bandwidth. You can auth an account on Quakenet so you know that people are who they say they are, the official TW channel is already there so that's convenient, YemDX recently started #teeworlds-na for organizing games with North American players so that's pretty cool, you can do PMs there and open a channel for your clan. It's all free and its eating almost no memory or bandwidth.

Well, that's your opinion, and I respect it. However I still remain adamant that an account system should be implemented.
By the looks of it, there's still hope.

Oy wrote:

+ more gametypes
+ account system (statistics, profiles, friend system, match making ...)
+ improved spectator view

-SALAD

SALAD wrote:

Accout system != off-server chatting and online friends system.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

frecel wrote:
theunknown wrote:

Sorry my english isn't so good that you get the ironic tone ^^

18 (edited by Slinack 2013-09-12 02:46:37)

Isn't Domination one choice much closer to our pure gametype standard than Survival or Last Man Standing?

Plus it brings different gameplay, not just little modifications (and everybody gets to play the whole game).

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

19 (edited by yemDX 2013-09-14 03:30:25)

Tutorial is much, much needed. I don't care how badly it's implemented at this point, as long as it's done. Just link a video of Sateesfaction or something for all I care. Also a glossary of common gameplay terms would be great.

Also, the only way I'd accept an account system is by the following means:

1. No e-mail activation ever (I can elaborate on how to do this but I'm busy atm so reply if you want to know my idea for activation)
2. Quick registration (~15 seconds)
3. Allows in-game IRC chat (probably will need an IRC server for this to not suck)
4. Changeable nick
5. Tracks stats
6. Optional

If it isn't at least those six things then I feel like it would be a waste of time.

Salad wrote:

This can already be done thanks to the magic of IRC and Steam. It's much simpler than using an in-game interface, and can also be used outside of the game.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

My thoughts on accounts:
+ easy banning
+ unique players
- central => vulnerable! (even more than the master servers are now)
- open source, therefore not enforcable
- not anonymous
- required registration before playing the first time => deterrent

As I got it Teeworlds is a great example of the spirit that the internet was built upon: open, free and limitless. The second you establish an account system you loose the lightness and get limits in accessablitiy and anonymity instead. It just wouldn't feel the same as before. Teeworlds is a game for the community, Teeworlds itself is not the community.
Let Teeworlds be what it is: a game! Not a gaming suite.

Teelevision wrote:

My thoughts on accounts:
+ easy banning
+ unique players
- central => vulnerable! (even more than the master servers are now)
- open source, therefore not enforcable
- not anonymous
- required registration before playing the first time => deterrent

As I got it Teeworlds is a great example of the spirit that the internet was built upon: open, free and limitless. The second you establish an account system you loose the lightness and get limits in accessablitiy and anonymity instead. It just wouldn't feel the same as before. Teeworlds is a game for the community, Teeworlds itself is not the community.
Let Teeworlds be what it is: a game! Not a gaming suite.

Omg, that's the first responsible thought! All the Steam-Lovers suggest acc-system, but they don't suggest a way for realization. And open source is not compartible with accounts sytem, more over it requires much more hardware, just ask G@mer about it, he's the guy who recorded statistics about teeworlds players and servers.

1. no laser damage through shilds
2. no grenade damage through shilds
3. teleport in vanilla

[21:15:20] Tom-d1ed: das ist ja mal so
[21:15:21] Tom-d1ed: extrem schlecht

A tool that allows mapping with two or more people at once.

Shahan wrote:

And open source is not compartible with accounts sytem.

That is not true, you can do secure open source systems. Bitcoin is open source so is Apache and so is Linux. We should not be implementing an account system just because we can though.

Cart wrote:

3. teleport in vanilla

This would completely change the way TW is played and you don't do that after a game has been out for years, for that reason it's a bad idea. I wouldn't mind seeing someone fork TW and implementing those changes though.

theunknown wrote:

A tool that allows mapping with two or more people at once.

Too much coding for something that can be solved simply by desktop sharing.

Cart wrote:

3. teleport in vanilla

This is the discussion, the thread where you can post your 3 things is here: https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10516

I also want to add my thoughts to this suggestion:

Racoon wrote:

- less mods/a system that developers must allow every new mod in teeworlds before it goes public

Teeworlds has a license that allows altering and publishing. This would only work if the license was changed in a way that Teeworlds wouldn't be free software anymore. And free software is awesome! Modding is a part of Teeworlds. There wouldn't be half the players - I guess - if there weren't mods. It brings a variety that I couldn't find in any other game and it's the reason why I'm still into it. I know that it would be great if the vanilla game type was more in the spotlight. But that has to be accomplished in a way that doesn't include enforcements or controlling, but in a way that for example makes vanilla more present, like featured servers, events or a separated mod server browser, and without discouraging people who want to play Teeworlds differently.