1 (edited by Aseliot 2014-01-25 16:21:14)

Topic: Grenadelauncher overpowered?

So i've been playing ctf on ctf 5 and I think the grenadelauncher is pretty op, it's easily the strongest weapon because you can just take random shots at things since it is the only weapon that has a missile that needs to hit something before it stops. Also you don't really need to aim with it just shooting into the regular direction of someone should suffice as you have a pretty high chance of hitting someone in ctf 5 corridors.

It is also the only weapon that can make someone actively stop pursueing you just by shooting behind you, it will hit 80% of the time and if you are in the air with nothing beneath you that guy will probably just fall (launched downward).

Also spawns on ctf 5 suck, you get the flag and rush back but the guy you just killed spawns right in front of your escape route. But I think we already know this. Maybe make the spawns behind the flag, expand all the maps a little so when you die you lose the enemy flagholder and wont be able to catch up to him so fast especially not by respawning right in front of his face.

Shouldn't there be something like being able to shoot grenades out of the sky or making the grenade fly faster or maybe increase the drop. Or else just make one grenade spawn per map.

I think the grenade is really fun but its pretty much the only weapon you should bother using when you have it.

BTW im not a new player I've been playing for a while.

Re: Grenadelauncher overpowered?

On low level the grenade launcher is very strong, but don't miss that a good game is balanced according to the high level szene.
As the grenades are moving slow, they are easy to avoid! Therefore it's rather a defensive weapon.

I think it is slightly overpowered, too.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

In fact it is very overpowered,but this doesn't mean the other weapons are not...

Slayer *gV* wrote:

On low level the grenade launcher is very strong, but don't miss that a good game is balanced according to the high level szene.
As the grenades are moving slow, they are easy to avoid! Therefore it's rather a defensive weapon.

But when you look at maps like ctf5 you can shoot one down a corridor so it goes through the middle, meaning you can be pretty certain any enemy coming through there will be hit especially if you are aiming down at an angle.

Aseliot wrote:

But when you look at maps like ctf5 you can shoot one down a corridor so it goes through the middle, meaning you can be pretty certain any enemy coming through there will be hit especially if you are aiming down at an angle.

Only if the pursuant takes the obvious trajectory. I believe all weapons are balanced with respect to each other. ctf5 was designed as a newbie / mid-level map that helps players accomplish actions easily. Maybe the solution is to play a more competitive map such as ctf2?

and the hammer is extremely under-powered. the game doesn't use balanced weapons

8 (edited by Aseliot 2014-01-26 02:26:41)

Magnet wrote:
Aseliot wrote:

Only if the pursuant takes the obvious trajectory. I believe all weapons are balanced with respect to each other. ctf5 was designed as a newbie / mid-level map that helps players accomplish actions easily. Maybe the solution is to play a more competitive map such as ctf2?

If only anyone would play that map. I really liked this one (custom) map (ctf_space) where there were only platforms and round pieces so you pretty much had to hook your way around the map and can fall anytime.

Being a very active Instagib player, I dont have that much game experience with the classic teeworlds.
But I think that every weapon is balanced, especially in the competitive szene.

For instance, the grenadelauncher is very good for def, the lazer does very well in the mid of a map, and the shotgun makes most sens if you are very close to your enemy.

And like Magnet said, the grenadelauncher is a very slow weapon, that means you can dodge a shot easily. If someone sprays at ctf5 down to the bottom, you can shutdown him by going the other way around

Just stay Aloha!

Broken wrote:

and the hammer is extremely under-powered. the game doesn't use balanced weapons

Well, it's one of the default weapons, you can't expect it to be a good all-around choice.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

But honestly the hammer is useless.
Compared to the gun I don't use it very often and if i do, rarely with success.

Yeah hammer is so low tongue .

http://s7.directupload.net/images/140126/o22xsz2g.gif

Luck is allowed

Broken wrote:

No, it is not. The game is pretty balanced. In my opinion the Laser should not take health before armor is down because it is way too easy to hit for that bonus effect.

[21:15:20] Tom-d1ed: das ist ja mal so
[21:15:21] Tom-d1ed: extrem schlecht

HMH wrote:

Yeah hammer is so low tongue .

http://s7.directupload.net/images/140126/o22xsz2g.gif

This looks pretty nice,but if you would shoot one grenade at least 2 would died together by one grenade  :I

Okay, so then what would be the solution?

Reduce max grenade damage by 1?

Reduce its travel distance/longevity?

I won't say it's overpowered, but I would say that it's the strongest weapon.

From my point of view grenade isn't overpowered at all.
Laser > shotgun > gernade/pistol > hammer

laser is just ridiculously strong, while you can often dodge around 60% of all grenades

BeaR wrote:

From my point of view grenade isn't overpowered at all.
Laser > shotgun > gernade/pistol > hammer

laser is just ridiculously strong, while you can often dodge around 60% of all grenades

+1

Cart wrote:

In my opinion the Laser should not take health before armor is down because it is way too easy to hit for that bonus effect.

Shotgun could be tuned down as well. Maybe slightly shorter range as you can use it for some free hits at the moment or maybe only 4 bullets but that would need some testing.
Would be pretty interesting to see it's effects on deffing.

[21:15:20] Tom-d1ed: das ist ja mal so
[21:15:21] Tom-d1ed: extrem schlecht

Cart wrote:
Broken wrote:

No, it is not. The game is pretty balanced. In my opinion the Laser should not take health before armor is down because it is way too easy to hit for that bonus effect.

^hammer and pistol together are super strong and do not forget u've unlimited hammer and pistol

+1 i can have 10 shields and 1 heart and the laser would kill me such a dumb shit (amor penetration is kinda annoying sad  )

rocket  is perfect balanced imo

and shotgun is also balanced you need 4 perfect shotgun shots to kill a 20hp tee same for rocket and laser

^ i would just change the weapon respawn time to 20 so the game would be more influenced by pistol and hammer (competitive ofc)

@op   what was your intention to create this thread ? not sure what you want

Jambi* wrote:

+1 i can have 10 shields and 1 heart and the laser would kill me such a dumb shit (amor penetration is kinda annoying sad  )

and shotgun is also balanced you need 4 perfect shotgun shots to kill a 20hp tee same for rocket and laser

All of laser, grenade launcher and hammer have armor penetration. In fact, if you ever get more than one damage at once, one heart will be removed.

Jambi* wrote:

^ i would just change the weapon respawn time to 20 so the game would be more influenced by pistol and hammer (competitive ofc)

A bug introduced in 0.5.0 (and fixed in 0.5.1) increased the pickup respawn time and it was not funny to play at all. It was melee fighting all the time, and not really more competitive.

In my opinion, as others have said, on a high level of play, none of the weapons are really overpowered or underpowered, you just need to know when to use them, like in any other shooter.

The maps certainly affect weapon usefulness though.

When you have lots of health and armor, and you are in a tight spot, hammer is good.

When you are being chased, grenade is best. You can also lob grenades in holes from above.

Shotgun is good for defending a position, (the flag?) and also for use in tight spots.

Laser is good for about everything, does a lot of damage, but is hard to hit with and has a large reload time. Not really good for anything clogged up, as it reloads too slow to kill groups with, and you can't kill more one tee at a time with it, like most weapons, (not grenade) but most weapons reload quicker.

The pistol is a backup weapon for when "that" enemy just won't die from your other weapons, so you use this because the other weapon's ammo is out.

My rating of the weapons. Laser 4.2 Shotgun 4 Grenade 4.1 Pistol 3.2 Hammer 3.9

That's just my opinion of how useful the weapons are, and I'm sure someone else thinks otherwise.  smile

In ctf matches, the Grenade and Laser are good for the runner, and Shotgun and Grenade are good for the camper. (Offensive and Defensive respectively.)

no

22 (edited by Jambi* 2014-01-29 22:29:50)

heinrich5991 wrote:
Jambi* wrote:

All of laser, grenade launcher and hammer have armor penetration. In fact, if you ever get more than one damage at once, one heart will be removed.

?

i'm just talking about the laser it's the only thing i would change

I have been saying for years the grenade is overpowered. Anyway, I really like the suggestion by the OP to be able to destroy grenades by hitting them with something. That would still retain the height advantage of the weapon but might diminish the absurd close range strength. I also recommend lengthening the delay between grenades being launched, and/or to create a larger amount of peripheral damage so as to also diminish the strength of the grenade in close range. It is not meant for close combat but is obviously abused because the damage to the attacking tee is less than the damage to the tee being attacked even if the two tees are literally right next to each other when the grenade explodes. That is absurd.

Grenades deal 6 "damage points" in full effect (decreased with the radius). They are the slowest projectiles and as such the easiest picked-up weapon to dodge. They are the only weapons able to damage their user (up to 3 DMG).

Compare to laser: instantaneous and 5 DMG, plus two chances to hit (because of the bounce).

How does this make grenades overpowered? Isn't it rather a problem of dodging them? It seems to me there are two ways it can be tricky to dodge grenades: bad movement or bad ping. Which are characteristics that shouldn't influence game design & balancing.

Combining the fact that it is a ranged weapon that forces attacking tees to dodge it, when it hits an enemy tee it slows them down or disrupts their movement, and it allows faster speed and otherwise impossible movements with the rocket boost, the grenade is clearly overpowered as a defensive weapon.

On many maps it's impossible to dodge a grenade due to narrow passageways, and besides there will always be a line of best movement that can be shot into. By simply shooting grenades into those areas you can hold back enemy tees. NO other weapon has such an advantage.

And, as you have already mentioned Magnet, you don't even have to hit, or even come close to an enemy, to deal damage to them. It's also a powerful close range weapon that you have failed to point out because it deals radial damage, almost always less to the tee shooting the grenade than the enemy tee. 3 max to the shooter, 6 max to the enemy being hit by the same exact grenade. That is insane.