1 (edited by Slayer *gV* 2014-01-19 13:35:50)

Topic: Vanilla Revival: Tournaments

Hello Tees,

as part of our Great Vanilla Revival Inititative we want to organize our own Vanilla Tournaments.
But there are still many tasks to complete, which can't be done by our few (already busy) devs.

To keep things short, I will just start with some points that come to my mind.
Blue marked text = Contact me via PM please.
Green marked text = Discuss in this thread please.

1. How can we reach new players/ players in general?
The idea behind those tournaments in relation to the  Great Vanilla Revival Inititative is to expand the possibilities for serious challenges. CTF5 isn't really rewarding players for being good, nor is there really some kind of competition.
Tournaments could fill this gap.

I am thinking of lots of advertisement for those tournaments to integrate as many players as possible.
-> News on teeworlds.com
-> News on other teeworlds community websites (please send me a PM, when your community wants to share news)
-> News included in server browser: Please discuss in this topic, what you think about it.

2. Organizing
As mentioned above, neither I nor the devs can do this on our own.
We will need help from our community.
If you want to support us as referee or admin, please write me a PM. (ideally with some information about your personality, skill, experiences and age)
To talk about organizing and stuff, feel free to join us on IRC:
    server: irc.quakenet.org
    channel: #TeeworldsTournaments

3. Which time and day would be best?
I guess 17 or 18 o'clock UTC+1, tuesday or thursday, but I am open for any reasonable suggestion..
The first tournament won't be in 2013.

Please note that we don't just want to host one tournament. If you want to join our tournaments-team, you should find long-term motivation and regulary (future will show how long the intervall between tournaments will be, but not longer than one or two months!)

4. Server, grid, chat
Server: Please contact me via PM, if You are willing to host some servers for our tournaments.
They should be located in germany, but it would be nice to have some alternatives in other countries too.

Grid: Does anyone know a reliable and free web-grid for tournaments, to keep the community up to date over the tournament?

Chat: During the tournament we need an instant chat to contact the parties.
I guess IRC is a good idea...

5. Tournament settings
A good tournament is dependent of the amount of good and challenging games.
I would start with 1vs1 DeathMatch and/or 2vs2 CTF tournaments.
But if you think that we could get enough teams for 3vs3 or even 4vs4 (or other settings): Discuss the best game settings here.

6. Caster/ Streams
Finally, I would love to see some smart people casting the games/ streaming the tournaments.
If you can do, please write me a PM. If you know anyone else outside of our community who could do, feel free to contact him smile

7. Donations
We would like to accept donations to take them 1:1 for prize money.
Past we accepted donations via PayPal, but are unsatisfied with it.
Thus we are looking for a better possibility.

Edit 11.12.2013: Added "7. Donations"

2 (edited by Sonix 2013-12-26 23:00:17)

Re: Vanilla Revival: Tournaments

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Is there according to the huge amount of posts in this thread no interest in tournaments?

You're wrong we, as the ÆON/χron team, are really interested into partecipating and organizing them. smile

Slayer *gV* wrote:

1. How can we reach new players/ players in general?
The idea behind those tournaments in relation to the  Great Vanilla Revival Inititative is to expand the possibilities for serious challenges. CTF5 isn't really rewarding players for being good, nor is there really some kind of competition.
Tournaments could fill this gap.
I am thinking of lots of advertisement for those tournaments to integrate as many players as possible.
-> News on teeworlds.com
-> News on other teeworlds community websites (please send me a PM, when your community wants to share news)
-> News included in server browser: Please discuss in this topic, what you think about it.

I'd really like to see the official teeworlds staff supporting/integrating this idea because it's a great opportunity to enrise the overall game and player's activity.
There could be an official tournament organising team but I think thats far too undoable.
News included in server browser are a great idea and really helpful for the players that aren't registered on this forum or any other teeworlds fan community.

Slayer *gV* wrote:

4. Server, grid, chat
Server: Please contact me via PM, if You are willing to host some servers for our tournaments.
They should be located in west germany, but it would be nice to have some alternatives in other countries too.
Grid: Does anyone know a reliable and free web-grid for tournaments, to keep the community up to date over the tournament?
Chat: During the tournament we need an instant chat to contact the parties.
I guess IRC is a good idea...

As I said, I support because this is a great chance for vanilla..

http://challonge.com/ useful site, imo.

And about the chat IRC suits perfectly. wink

Slayer *gV* wrote:

5. Tournament settings
A good tournament is dependent of the amount of good and challenging games.
I would start with 1vs1 DeathMatch and/or 2vs2 CTF tournaments.
But if you think that we could get enough teams for 3vs3 or even 4vs4 (or other settings): Discuss the best game settings here.

Nice idea to start with 1on1 and 2on2 tournaments, I'd also say that we could add some more DM and TDM tournaments which I personally like.
Then after the number of participants has got higher we can move on 3vs3, 4vs4+ games.

You have full support from me, because it's really a great chance for vanilla's great return..

Instead of price money, I'd prefer free teeworlds server hosting (for a couple of months or maybe half a year?), even though I am not a vanilla player smile
It should be less for the money, but more for the game itself.

greetings jxsl13

Teeworlds [ friends ] clan
Some YouTube Stuff about Teeworlds

Just that teeworlds fairly doesn't need even more servers...
But yeah, other prizes would be cool. Maybe we can find some serious sponsors (there are many for esport actually), if we can grow this up enough.

That certainly is true as well, that we have got more servers than we actually need x)

Teeworlds [ friends ] clan
Some YouTube Stuff about Teeworlds

This sounds awesome.

How about 1800 or 1900 UTC/CET? You said 1700 or 1800 UTC+1 (that's two hours earlier), but that would be too early for some NA players. Also, how about on a weekend?

I can also stream some games, but I'm not sure what programs are good for Teeworlds. I usually use Open Broadcast Software for streaming pretty much everything from SC2, DotA2, etc., but Teeworlds doesn't seem to work well with it (well, Teeworlds has other graphic problems as well). Free suggestions only please! Lastly, is there a semi-official Teeworlds stream? If not, perhaps this could be an opportunity to make one. What about YouTube?

If there's a match for NA players vs. NA players, can the matches happen on an NA server? I'm a little confused on why they should be located in West Germany. Why not just use local servers instead? Also, doesn't NA need more of a revival for Vanilla (not that that matters too much--I'd still play on a German server)?

(IRC could just be integrated into Teeworlds...)

What are some anti-hack measures?

Maps for the DM/CTF?

JinAndJuice wrote:

This sounds awesome.

How about 1800 or 1900 UTC/CET? You said 1700 or 1800 UTC+1 (that's two hours earlier), but that would be too early for some NA players. Also, how about on a weekend?

I can also stream some games, but I'm not sure what programs are good for Teeworlds. I usually use Open Broadcast Software for streaming pretty much everything from SC2, DotA2, etc., but Teeworlds doesn't seem to work well with it (well, Teeworlds has other graphic problems as well). Free suggestions only please! Lastly, is there a semi-official Teeworlds stream? If not, perhaps this could be an opportunity to make one. What about YouTube?

I haven't had problems with XSplit and Obs with Teeworlds.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

8 (edited by Slayer *gV* 2014-01-30 00:19:34)

I won't organize any tournament during my weekend, and never ever during weekend evening!! yikes

ghost can cast and stream too (german). But to have casts/ streams in other languages would be very nice! He gathered also some experience with teeworlds streaming via TeeTV. Maybe he can give you some hints for software-stuff.

JinAndJuice wrote:

If there's a match for NA players vs. NA players, can the matches happen on an NA server? I'm a little confused on why they should be located in West Germany. Why not just use local servers instead? Also, doesn't NA need more of a revival for Vanilla (not that that matters too much--I'd still play on a German server)?

Slayer *GV* wrote:

They should be located in west germany (major of players), but it would be nice to have some alternatives in other countries too.

You missunderstood this. I just don't want to manage tons of servers for each little country in this world. BUT it would be great to have some wide spreaded server locations to balance the ping. (West germany, russia, NA,...).

JinAndJuice wrote:

(IRC could just be integrated into Teeworlds...)

I doubt this will happen, thought some global chat would be nice. But IRC will be used to communicate with players and the team.

JinAndJuice wrote:

What are some anti-hack measures?

Sadly there are none and will never be any. But as high level player take part, they will (hopefully) detect all bots and hacks.

JinAndJuice wrote:

Maps for the DM/CTF?

We will stick to official maps. DM: dm1 etc; CTF: ctf1, ctf3, ctf2 etc.
Open to suggestions.

EDIT:
You all are invited to join our organizing via IRC:
server: irc.quakenet.org
channel: #TeeworldsTournaments

Monologue going on..
You can still help organizing this.
Especially are we looking for some streamer in english and servers in NA / russia

Slayer *gV* wrote:

ghost can cast and stream too (german).

I actually think that I might be able to cast in English, too.

ghost wrote:
Slayer *gV* wrote:

ghost can cast and stream too (german).

I actually think that I might be able to cast in English, too.

For the love of everything, please find a native English speaker if you want to cast in English. smile

Ex-King of Teeworlds

For the love of everything, feel free to do it KingofTW!
But I agree: We won't cast it in another language than our native (german).

Slayer *gV* wrote:

For the love of everything, feel free to do it KingofTW!
But I agree: We won't cast it in another language than our native (german).

Sure I'd love to here's an example of some professional commentary http://vocaroo.com/i/s1lWWlyOsNlL

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Accepted! Nice.

For everyone else: We are not dead yet.
If you want to stream it, too: PM me and you will get all information you require!

me and zgo will cast for NA

Ex-King of Teeworlds

KingofTW wrote:

me and zgo will cast for NA

You got a PM.

We are still looking for servers OUTSIDE of germany.
Please contact me, if you can host servers (especially near russia and NA), so those players can also take part!