Topic: A new "Map Working Group"

Wouldn't it be nice to have new, and well-thought official maps when 0.7 is released? It surely would, but different strokes, different folks... map qualities are a subject of quarrel, and there have been failures in the past.

The goal for 0.7 is to release 100% perfect maps for different playing styles and game types. Because this is a lot of work, I will be leading a new "Map Working Group" which determine which maps (and what changes to existing maps) end up as official maps in Teeworlds 0.7.

This is a community process: everyone can simply propose their maps for inclusion in Teeworlds, granted:
- they accept to license their work under the TW license
- their map is accepted by the Jury.

I will lead a Jury composed of different TW players from all ranges of playing level to make sure each map we deliver is fun for most categories of players. No need to apply to the jury here, but if you're interested and committed just talk to me on IRC. Be patient as I'm often away wink. Anyway feel free to take initiative and if you're committed and have good taste, consider yourself a member of the group and make whatever you want happen. I want everyone who feels he should be part of this to be with us.

Standard criteria for maps:
- Tee style
- High-detail and low-details modes
- Standard tilesets (see Artists to ask if we can make new tilesets official)
- Thoroughly tested with in-game action: record demos ("free" camera mode) to make your case

Steps if you want us to propose your map for inclusion in 0.7:
- We will open the process in September and give more details then.

Once again, this is a community process so it depends on the community. I know there are a few good maps in the making but we will need work to get something entirely satisfying.

Re: A new "Map Working Group"

I hope this working group will get very active, with skilled and new mappers.
To have many new maps with unique gamestyles could be a very good base line, and with great tips of "old" generations in mapping they could become fun and alternation!

I really appreciate that step and hope for new good maps
Still have to laugh about the irc conversation haha

4 (edited by Khan 2012-07-29 19:56:56)

Awsome. big_smile I would take part.

Magnet wrote:

The goal for 0.7 is to release 100% perfect maps for different playing styles and game types.

Do you mean the official gametypes like dm, tdm and ctf or popular modification as well? (Does race become official?)

5 (edited by HeroiAmarelo 2012-07-30 11:18:58)

I think Race wont, but, there are new official gametypes.
Last man standing, Survival
I would like to be part of the jury team. IRC have no activity so I will say it here. hehe

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

Probable new gametypes will be Survival, LMS and Race. We could also improve spawns on TDM.
I'm talking about maps for all official gametypes.

I would like to be one of the mappers smile

Magnet wrote:

Standard criteria for maps:
- Tee style
- High-detail and low-details modes
- Standard tilesets (see Artists to ask if we can make new tilesets official)
- Thoroughly tested with in-game action: record demos ("free" camera mode) to make your case

Thats nothing new yikes

But for the new Gametypes like Survival and LMS we must look how a map must look like or what does the map must have to be balanced for this gametype smile

Vanilla FTW!
My Videos

I would like to be on of the race mappers ^^

If mapping wouldn't be boring, I'd participate. Also IRC sucks.

Anyway, I wish you - Magnet - good luck with your community project and I hope you find lots of high quality maps and mappers!
Looking forward to further 0.7 maps. smile

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)

What do you think about adding more tactical gametypes like defending and attacking an objective witout respawning like in css or SnD in cod? I think giving us more gametypes we could play in vanilla would make it way more interesting and maybe we would get more people playing it. smile
I'm not playing teeworlds anymore but I'm still very interested in it and i would like to help where i can. I even would help with a cup or a league or whatever. smile

Pi_ wrote:

What do you think about adding more tactical gametypes like defending and attacking an objective witout respawning like in css or SnD in cod? I think giving us more gametypes we could play in vanilla would make it way more interesting and maybe we would get more people playing it. smile
I'm not playing teeworlds anymore but I'm still very interested in it and i would like to help where i can. I even would help with a cup or a league or whatever. smile

This is definitely not the right topic to discuss this. Feel free to talk about it in this thread.

12 (edited by Zatline 2012-07-30 02:22:22)

I got some great ideas for the map selection of 0.7, but that's not the only thing I'm going to do in the near future. I have drawn a lot of concepts, but that's not all. The concepts are still in process. It contains new HUD layout (new Scorebord, new Scoresystem), new Menu layout and much more features.

But all of this needs to be coded. Sushi would do that (when he is back). smile

Another target was to redesign all old maps of Teeworlds, like ctf5!
There is still so much to do... so yeah, count me in! smile

I'm in just to tell you all how terrible your maps are and how mine are the only ones worth playing on. wink /sarcasm

If teeworlds is a shooter then why is Race gonna become an official gametype?? Just makes no sense. You could perhaps define it as "officially supported modification".

Also I love your idea Pi_. Maybe something like Steal The Artifact from AC?

As always I wish you luck in your project. Hope you guys give us some awesome new maps smile

Once in a century...

Click me big_smile

And I think we should keep teeworlds as a shooter and dont make race standart. It's just a random modification. Why shouldn't we make a zombie mod official then ?! which is still more 'shooter' than a race mod and we all know that we dont want a standart zombie mod wink
And since we need more vanilla action is this no awesome idea in my opinion.

I am for: more gametypes with tactical elements like capturing anything from anywhere like dark hunter said.

Pi_ wrote:

And since we need more vanilla action is this no awesome idea in my opinion.

I am for: more gametypes with tactical elements like capturing anything from anywhere like dark hunter said.

LIKE!!!!

Vanilla FTW!
My Videos

Pi_ wrote:

It's just a random modification. Why shouldn't we make a zombie mod official then ?! which is still more 'shooter' than a race mod and we all know that we dont want a standart zombie mod wink

Because Race is teeish, and follows perfectly KISS.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

This is the Map Working Group. Please direct your opinions to the Gametype Working Group.

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

I would like to be part of the jury team. IRC have no activity so I will say it here. hehe

Thanks for answer me, Magnet

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

Sorry Heroi, but you've mentioned that you prefer to play mods and i guess you are lacking skill and knowledge of vanilla, thus you can't judge the maps objectively.
What we need are high level players, if any actives are left tongue

Dune wrote:

Because Race is teeish, and follows perfectly KISS.

I more would like to see fly which is even not played well like vanilla. Flybattle is fighting so teeworlds stays a shooter, it is teeish and it follows perfectly KISS.

Magnet wrote:

This is the Map Working Group. Please direct your opinions to the Gametype Working Group.

Where can i find it?

I am a huge fan of the FLY mod as well. Would love to see it as an official gametype.

Pi_ wrote:
Magnet wrote:

Where can i find it?

Right here: https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=99657

Once in a century...

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Sorry Heroi, but you've mentioned that you prefer to play mods and i guess you are lacking skill and knowledge of vanilla, thus you can't judge the maps objectively.
What we need are high level players, if any actives are left tongue

i saw you called me tongue