Topic: ctf5 improvement thread

Hey folks,

I would like to start a ctf5 discussion,
mostly to focus the arguments made in thousand different topics.

What should be changed to improve ctf5?

I would like to start with, in my opinion, most annoying fact:
You can easily defend the whole base by camping the flag itself.
Thus my idea is to remove most pickups there.

http://www.abload.de/thumb/ctf5_slayerpy6rx.pngMap Download
I removed all armor around the flag, replaced the glauncher there with a shotgun and placed a glauncher below the base. Furthermore I moved the rifles above to the middle (=1) and removed also a shotgun in the middle.

Now there should be kinda 4 positions for defending: Middle, Top base, passage base to mid and the flag.
Due to less pickups I would recommend this for 5v5.

PS: If you want to provide a download for your changed map, don't forget to rename it.

2 (edited by TeePhoenix 2012-06-10 17:08:07)

Re: ctf5 improvement thread

Deleted.

The face of terrorism is called United States of America!

3 (edited by Slayer *gV* 2011-12-06 18:16:09)

TeePhoenix wrote:

Why have you added the sword in the middle? I dont think that the map needs it.

Coz ctf2 has a ninja, too. If vanilla provides this weapon, I don't see any reason to not implement it into a big ctf-map. It will be turned off anyway tongue

TeePhoenix wrote:

The flying hearts in the middle are crap, because you cant get them with normal movement (stop => jump for each heart to get them => useless).

Didn't change anything there and you can pick 'em up without jumping.

TeePhoenix wrote:

That there is only one laser on top is crap, because of the hookable tiles, you cant protect yourself against the guy with the laser. If 1 tee of both teams try to pass the top only the one that gets the laser has a chance. If there is 1 laser on both sides, both tees have the same chance.

Shotgun > Rifle in close range. Plus you can get same freehits with gun shots, when someone is camping there.
I don't really know if it would work like I'd changed it, was just an idea.

TeePhoenix wrote:

Why do all tees start in air?

Just don't believe ctf5 is large enough for high skilled 8vs8 matches. Thus I tried to change it, so it could fit for 5vs5.
-> Less pickups
-> Spawns in air, to still provide the possibility for higher amounts of players (So there can still spawn 8 tees at once)

Edit: By removing the 6 armor around the flag, I want to force a more dynamic gameplay for defender.

I think it's better to have only 1 laser.
At start:
The fastest one gets the laser but it's possible to kill him with hammer in this narrow way at top. The laser guy is not really in a better position than the other one.
Later:
It's also useless to camp there because you can just go another way and the other team has got a player sitting around and waiting on anything.^^
If there are 2 lasers they will go down or try to kill the other one from the distance which would be boring and senseless in such a narrow and slow way.

[21:15:20] Tom-d1ed: das ist ja mal so
[21:15:21] Tom-d1ed: extrem schlecht

5 (edited by TeePhoenix 2012-06-10 17:08:01)

Deleted.

The face of terrorism is called United States of America!

I think ctf5 is rotten to the core, you can't improve it for competition with such little modifications. For example if you don't introduce at least one chock point (other than the flag stand), if you don't increase the time to capture the flag by modifying the straight path that crosses the map, I don't see how competitions will take place on it.

Dudes, ctf5 is just chill to play on, it's not to compete on !

My advise would be : don't even bother. ;-)

Visit our clan: =Eagle= !

I wouldn't change a thing.

My advice would be: listen to Cube ;-)

Once in a century...

CuBe wrote:

Dudes, ctf5 is just chill to play on, it's not to compete on !

My advise would be : don't even bother. ;-)

Maybe it's a good map to chill, but "the challenge is the game".
There are some player out here, who like to play competitive matches.

Ubuntu wrote:

I think ctf5 is rotten to the core, you can't improve it for competition with such little modifications. For example if you don't introduce at least one chock point (other than the flag stand), if you don't increase the time to capture the flag by modifying the straight path that crosses the map, I don't see how competitions will take place on it.

Why do you think a map with a straight path can't be competitive?
Even I didn't play any cg's or cw's on it yet, I could imagine that a competitive match could take place, but it would have a unique gameplay (width opened, fast)

Well, what's about blocking the mid, so you have to go through the upper or lower hallway?
Both could get extended, so good movement, gameplay and enough space for non-camping fights would still exist.

Furthermore, removing some pickups and the num of players could solve the "easy flag defending" issue.
Do you agree with my changes?

I agree with your changes Slayer! I have played a lot of ctf5 in my teeworlds "career"... big_smile I don't see why there are so many people who either 1) Can't play ctf unless it's on ctf5 or 2) Hate ctf5, can't play it at all.

I personally like to play all different styles and types of ctf maps and I believe that ctf5 is an original and shouldnt be totally changed. I really like taking the grenades away from the base, one problem with the current ctf5 map is that noobs just camp and spam there. Obviously, you can get past them with enough try's but you should have to get a little farther from the base to get a grenade.

Anyways, I always love new ctf maps. I have never understood the people who only play one ctf map and think all others are for noobs... I can understand Ubuntu about ctf5 IF all the ctf maps were like this (a straight path to get flag). However, many aren't so like I said before, people should get used to different types of ctf maps. I like ctf2 just as much as I like ctf5.

Thanks for everyone's efforts to keep ctf and ctf maps tip top. wink Ctf will always be the best gametype!!! wink

Thanks,
Nater
ambience-clan.tk

11 (edited by Ubuntu 2011-12-08 20:49:21)

I have some respect for what you are trying to do. It is good to see people who try to make things more competitive. Unfortunately I believe that it is doomed to fail on ctf5, or if you succeed it wouldn't be the ctf5 we know anymore.

Slayer *gV* wrote:
Ubuntu wrote:

Why do you think a map with a straight path can't be competitive?

I believe that if you want an interesting gameplay, you have to put some ways for the players to intercept other players. The problem with a straight path is that it doesn't need a lot of skill to do rocket jumps there and to capture in 4 seconds without giving the enemies good possibilities to intercept you.

Well, what's about blocking the mid, so you have to go through the upper or lower hallway?
Both could get extended, so good movement, gameplay and enough space for non-camping fights would still exist.

I would actually do the contrary about blocking the mid. I would remove the two little corridors (up, down) to have at least one point where all the paths cross. But it would modify the map too much, so I agree with what other people said: don't bother.

Furthermore, removing some pickups and the num of players could solve the "easy flag defending" issue.
Do you agree with my changes?

I think the pickups on ctf5 are really not placed in a way that improves the gameplay. If you look at other ctf maps, in general you have like 4-5 shields in one place, but there is a risk in taking them if there is an enemy near you. I think it makes the game more interesting. On ctf5 you have a lot of 3xshields, 3xhearts. If there is an enemy near you taking 3xshields isn't really worth the risk.

The structure and pickups is what makes it competitive. I think changing the pickups would only make it different to the casual players (like removing the camping pickups in the 0.6 update) and it would not make the map any more suitable for competitive play (if that is your goal).

The only way to improve this map is by replacing it with another one, along woth ctf4 and ctf6. Also ch1l should get replaced as the official mapper for years of inactivity and releasing some of the shittiest maps we ever sat our eyes on. His only good contribution so far is ctf3, but yeah, there are lots of good 3on3 community maps. Our community assignment to chilly, to make a 4on4 map, ended in a catastrophe called new ctf4. For 0.7, there must be new maps to replace the amount of disgrace chilly has produced. This is the only chance for teeworlds to regain it's overall perfection it had before the new maps (cant even remember their names and number correctly, no one wants to host or play on them for a good reason) occured and took a dump on actually good community mapper talents.

*** JUSTICE ALWAYS WINS ***

whats wrong with the latest ctf4? Imo it improved alot compared to 5.x ctf4.

1338 - One step ahead of the average Nerd.

fameless wrote:

whats wrong with the latest ctf4? Imo it improved alot compared to 5.x ctf4.

Just as unplayable: lack of pickups, shitty movements, base too easy to defend, etc. I'm pretty sure I played it as much as anyone else or more and it's been a frustration each time. Ctf6 can be salvaged though.

Captain AMN wrote:

The only way to improve this map is by replacing it with another one, along woth ctf4 and ctf6. Also ch1l should get replaced as the official mapper for years of inactivity and releasing some of the shittiest maps we ever sat our eyes on. His only good contribution so far is ctf3, but yeah, there are lots of good 3on3 community maps. Our community assignment to chilly, to make a 4on4 map, ended in a catastrophe called new ctf4. For 0.7, there must be new maps to replace the amount of disgrace chilly has produced. This is the only chance for teeworlds to regain it's overall perfection it had before the new maps (cant even remember their names and number correctly, no one wants to host or play on them for a good reason) occured and took a dump on actually good community mapper talents.

Woah, tone down the personal attack...

17 (edited by Slayer *gV* 2011-12-09 18:19:34)

http://www.abload.de/thumb/ctf5_slayerz7ac5.png
Rearranged pickups and closed the mid. Maybe The 2 other hallways would need to get improved now + solid, dunno.
Edit: It's just an impulse for some thoughts, nothing "serious".

Btw I can't agree with you AMN. Maybe chilly isn't the best mapper ever, but he is at least trying to do something good. I don't know any good map made by you, huh?

Just an idea to prevent hammer flying simply create perimeter of death tiles so they can't go too high.

If tees are beyond 200 tiles out of the game layer, they get killed.

heinrich5991 wrote:

Yes but that's more than enough to hide.

Ye 200 is way too much.
But you have to consider that an open map shouldn't get limited for rocket jumps etc.
About 75 tiles seem to fit better, so you won't get killed there.

heinrich5991 wrote:

Did that got patched recently?

Not Luck, Just Magic.

23 (edited by dremy 2011-12-10 23:29:14)

Ok i think replace armor and heart with grenade is really bad idea ....
Tees will camp in this point and have ammo.Wen in this point has armor and heart if someone get close and shoting some time he will run out of ammo.Well wen his run out of ammo he have to go from there or die!.A tee cant live with armor and hearts only!!   
I think the map is good design to play on it. hmm

If you want a perfect map for your own server you can PM me to make you one ^^

Please also try play nodes you may download it here!. And as always.Have a nice day

Dune wrote:
heinrich5991 wrote:

Did that got patched recently?

Not really... 882a99b9 (4th July 2010)