Re: 0.7 beta released!

Take off dynamic camera as a default setting! How is that good? It's a nice feature but it's completely un-intuitive compared to a fixed camera and it must not help those new players getting smashed as mentionned earlier!

Especially on vanilla mods where almost everyone starts, not only does it have little use for newbies but it just makes your fighting not flow right.

How many times do you see obvious first-time players with decent gaming sense but awful movement just wandering around and likely quitting and never playing again?

If someone plays more they can experiment with dynamic camera and choose onwards, but naturally it shoud be a fixed camera.

Although this is a trivial change, If the default gameplay was more intuitive, it would make a certainly noticable difference for new players which is something everyone would like to see in TW.

It's so delightful to see that GitHub booming again.
I really appreciate your hard work, guys.

Every bit of code that got into these 7 major releases took a lot of effort and we have to thank you all.
I remember how much effort reworking that menu cost SushiTee and the other guys with all the new concepts.

I hope you can turn it into something great.

Also, let's get to mapping for those new gametypes. And maybe start brainstorming other maps like for Domination big_smile

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

Glad to have you back, Zatline!

Not Luck, Just Magic.

I just make a server browser mockup for teeworlds 0.7.1.

What do you think? Do you have any idea to improve it? (the "information" tab isn't complete, yet)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gm9az00zskyxgzx/Screenshot_1.jpg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4983h6izuz81n7/Screenshot_2.jpg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujrda72k4x18rf9/Screenshot_3.jpg?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ws4p387xjat40s/Screenshot_4.jpg?dl=1

See issue #1538 with the other existing mockup(s).

Not Luck, Just Magic.

56 (edited by Pathos 2018-10-28 01:08:56)

Magnet wrote:

Compatible? Different minor versions of Teeworlds have never been compatible. That's the whole point.

I meant incompatible to DDNet.

Teeworlds is a minor mod of DDNet now. Oy and everyone defending Teeworlds are... I'll stop here.

I still hope for the best; sorry I never got to know you Oy, but you're out of touch with the community anyway, so it seems mutual. I'm also sorry that I have to write such a message.

This place is a time sink now.

Also @Dune, about Water's dyn cam topic -- https://forum.ddnet.tw/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6615

Been around for years and this place still has no clue what the community wants--huge implications.

Goodbye teeworlds.com -- I hope it becomes a place worth visiting again. At least 0.7 servers is a good thing, I guess.

57 (edited by Zatline 2018-10-28 02:19:17)

Pathos wrote:

Teeworlds is a minor mod of DDNet now. Oy and everyone defending Teeworlds are... I'll stop here.

This is incredebly rude to everyone who made Teeworlds to what it became up to 0.6, as someone whos name I not gonna reveal yesterday said; DDNet would had never been possible without the strong codebase original Teeworlds provided .. 
You can dislike the current situation as much as u like and that is absolutly fine but don't be rude and disrespectful!

Indeed, very disrespectful. And throwing shit to Oy for polling the community on a controversial design choice, really?

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Oy wrote:

So with some delay here comes the 0.7.0 release. It comes with a new menu, 2 new gametypes, new skin system, spoofing protection, new maps, no further need for tileset border fix and dilate, and more.
Thanks to Sushi Tee and Zatline for the new menu, to choupom for the new skin system, to heinrich5991 for the anti-spoofing system, to Sonix and Zatline for the new maps, to matricks for the graphics fix and to everyone else who contributed to this release.

A complete list of changes can be found here.

Few more improvements are needed ..

Zatline wrote:
Pathos wrote:

This is incredebly rude to everyone who made Teeworlds to what it became up to 0.6, as someone whos name I not gonna reveal yesterday said; DDNet would had never been possible without the strong codebase original Teeworlds provided .. 
You can dislike the current situation as much as u like and that is absolutly fine but don't be rude and disrespectful!

Agree with Zatline here the codebase of teeworlds rocks c:
And i always talk about teeworlds even tho i start my ddnet client and join a ddnet server.
DDNet is not it's own game its not bigger than teeworlds because it is part of it.

..but modded servers like ddnet have way more players than the vanilla ones. And that modding part of teeworlds helps a lot too keep the game running and keep the player base alive. And breaking compatibility should be ok i guess? It has always been like that idk (it is my first major release). But the problem is that 0.7 has less modding support. And porting the 0.6 mods to 0.7 will be nearly impossible (16 slots player limit and broadcast for example). So the majority of the player base and modding community is forced to stay in 0.6 thats super sad ._.

#yemDX is a known troll!
but onbgy is the biggest troll
and deen always trolls, he just makes it so perfect that u think hes not

Teeworlds is teeworlds, DDNet is a client of teeworlds like the tons of clients that have existed in the past. It's the same game. DDrace, which is DDnet's main thing, existed existed in like 2010.

Now, I agree with Chillerdragon features which benefit mod players like 64player limit support should be kept, I don't see why to purposely remove that? Unless theres a reason?
Broadcast is also useful for those mods so keeping it in would be nice as well.

Teeworlds has always been a game of many mods, gametypes, creations, maps, styles,
etc.

Even in 2008 the most popular gametype was Instagib which is a mod.

So keeping them somewhat in mind would be nice, coming from a vanilla player.

The 64p support you mentioned has been created by eeeee and fstd in 2011? It's not a part of the original game. But I'll really miss the broadcast and maybe most custom clients will support broadcasts.

Stitch626 wrote:

The 64p support you mentioned has been created by eeeee and fstd in 2011? It's not a part of the original game. But I'll really miss the broadcast and maybe most custom clients will support broadcasts.

Server messages are still there, for all intents and purposes, I guess they'll be a decent fallback.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

64 (edited by Deepfinder 2018-10-29 10:23:23)

Dune wrote:
Stitch626 wrote:

Server messages are still there, for all intents and purposes, I guess they'll be a decent fallback.

Yeah spamming the chat is a very decent fallback

I will be banned if I troll again ...

Honestly, I never thought I'd live to see this.. 0.7 released.

Congrats to the devs for their devotion

Once in a century...

DARK HUNTER wrote:

Ho, welcome back!

Not Luck, Just Magic.

67 (edited by Bolto 2018-10-30 03:07:04)

I can see why this is not on the front page. as a DDnet player, my concerns lie there, Vanilla TW is fun now & then.

the menu's are just harder to use, like why do we need to click more times to accomplish the same task?(rhetorical question), it's too "clean" for me, don't get me wrong, it looks good, but usability is reduced, too much time spent doing a task, i could go telling exactly what i don't like, but i think windows 8 is a good comparison, trying to fix something that didn't need fixing.

looking foreword to the third revision, when things get "fleshed out". Dune was insightful, good to have him smile

Edit: could someone please explain the change made here: https://github.com/teeworlds/teeworlds/issues/714
i don't understand, what does this allow?

Issues are things that should be done, not things that were done. Issue #714 isn't fixed yet (thanks for bringing it to attention).

Otherwise, I agree on the menus.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:
DARK HUNTER wrote:

Ho, welcome back!

Thanks, we'll see how long that lasts tongue

Anyway, I remember there being a forum thread with planned and wanted features for coming versions?
I think it would be nice to bring it back up..to have clear goals and milestones for the upcoming versions

Once in a century...

In my opinion, an update, especially if it's breaking changes, always has to be better than the previous one.
- as for security, it's equal, not better.
- as for ux/ui, it's a lot worse
- a lot less polished as well
- you say less modding support, I say the codebase isn't very open to mods for both ways (no documentation _anywhere_, not even a standard engine and arbitrary decision, what to put as "engine" code and "game" code.

All in all its a release that's worse than the previous version, which is _always_ dangerous. And if your next reaction to "noone wants to move to 0.7" is "let's shutdown 0.6 master servers" (or Idk if it already happened), that's gonna kill what's left.

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

Schwertspize wrote:

- as for security, it's equal, not better.

It is better, namely with respect to reflection attacks.

Schwertspize wrote:

- as for ux/ui, it's a lot worse
- a lot less polished as well

Take it as a beta, lots of people are still working on it. 0.7.1 is coming.

Schwertspize wrote:

- you say less modding support, I say the codebase isn't very open to mods for both ways (no documentation _anywhere_, not even a standard engine and arbitrary decision, what to put as "engine" code and "game" code.

I believe that has always been the case.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

This is the only game I play and it's really great. I assume the new release will soon start working for people like me who use Ubuntu, I'm looking forward to it. Thanks to the developers! big_smile

Why don't you put Teeworlds 0.7. as default Download on the Main Page so that more people play 0.7 ?

It's not yet ready, thanks for not doing that yet to keep players together. Basically it's not an actual release thankfully

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

thepro wrote:

Why don't you put Teeworlds 0.7. as default Download on the Main Page so that more people play 0.7 ?

0.7 wasn't in a state that it should be. Lots of things have been done since then. Will be done for 0.7.1.

Remember the 80s - good times smile