Topic: [IDEA] Wiki/Documentation using Github

Hey guys,

since I heard many discussions about wikis and that Teeworlds need it, what about creating a wiki/documentation page managed from a github repository and converted into a html page?

I think that it's a pretty nice solution in order to keep guides/infos fresh and always up to date.. where everyone would be able to contribute by opening just a pull-req.

A live demo I've found is here:
http://www.fork-cms.com/community
Every guide there is retrieved from their github repo https://github.com/forkcms/documentation

The articles are written using Markdown which allows writers to focus on their content instead of worrying about html. All the markdown data that is stored on GitHub gets cached onto our website and is converted to html through the GitHub Markdown renderer. The result is having the benefits from both displaying documentation right through our website and having powerful GitHub collaboration features.

Now can we do it too?

And what do you guys think about it?

Re: [IDEA] Wiki/Documentation using Github

That's not really worth the work, in my opinion.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

That's not really worth the work, in my opinion.

Why?
Is it too much work?

For the official documentation that'd be nice I guess. At the moment it's just a bunch of HTML files (dumped from trac), and since users are not meant to edit it on their own that would work rather well. Users still can contribute by making pull requests, which is a plus in my opinion.
Someone would just have to convert the documentation to Markdown (and maybe improve on it here and there). Getting it on the page is less of a problem.

m!nus wrote:

For the official documentation that'd be nice I guess. At the moment it's just a bunch of HTML files (dumped from trac), and since users are not meant to edit it on their own that would work rather well. Users still can contribute by making pull requests, which is a plus in my opinion.
Someone would just have to convert the documentation to Markdown (and maybe improve on it here and there). Getting it on the page is less of a problem.

Converting to Markdown isn't also a problem, there are even some Markdown editors out there.
We could also add  a small guide such as an "How to Insert an Entry" where we explain that Github & Markdown basics..
If I find some time I'll surely start on converting them ^^

Well I really appreciate your efforts to start some kind of official documentation!
Althought your suggestion seems rather ...final, but in my opinion it is more about finding a good place to store the data then having a system where user could easily post their own stuff. Isn't the exact same forum here a good place to look for user suggestions or gather articles, postings, tutorials?
Since you can find wiki solutions about teeworlds everywhere (actually spreading these days, which I really like honestly) there is a real demand for such a thing. So having something related to teeworlds.com and maybe maintained by some trustworthy people (namely: community) is more important. I think this website will be available for a longer time, might be online for some more time then a fan project by a single person. No offense, though this has proven correct in the past regarding a big german site.
If people are willing to write some detailed articles, or even provide a translation (multi languages are a great option too!) they would like to trust the host. On the other hand, these data should be up to date and still available for older versions of teeworlds for example (or mods to use the forbidden word).

What I wanted to say is: the newly added content should be supervised (to prevent spam and have some valid information) but collected and easily searchable. Because it can be difficult to find some precise results from the forum search.

Well, this has been a while. Meanwhile documentation has been reformatted in Github-flavored Markdown and placed on Github (thanks Sonix). Since a few days changes in the repository will be automatically pushed to the website too.

8 (edited by Cpt_baby 2014-06-27 22:12:45)

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan sonix come vanilla
its soo borring
fix that