1 (edited by IcyPRO 2014-04-25 12:36:13)

Topic: Static camera should be default

Hello,
When I first started playing this game I was instantly thrown off by the dynamic camera. I've never used such feature in any other 2D game and I couldn't get used to it.

First thing I did was search internet to find out, if it could be turned off. After a while I found the answer.
Then I started playing without it, while being much more satisfied..

Now after 3-4 years I started using dynamic camera on bind. It's because I'm doing a little bit better and I realized, it can put me in the advantage against the opponent, if I know how to use it.

All I'm trying to say is that dynamic camera isn't meant for beginners. Many of them can get discouraged by it at start.
Also I can assure you many of them won't instantly know how to disable it.
So please, this is what I'm asking you to change:

Make static camera default, not dynamic.

Re: Static camera should be default

Please take also a look here: [POLL] Dynamic Camera

3 (edited by IcyPRO 2014-04-25 16:47:38)

Interesting, didn't know about that thread.
Well I know for sure than dynamic camera may suit one player, but may not suit to another. Right?

But maybe we could add at least some little hint, that there is an option to turn it off (or on)...
What do you think?

Making the player decide what kind of camera he prefers when he/she opens teeworlds for the first time could be helpful, maybe with a short description about the differences.

5 (edited by Slayer *gV* 2014-04-26 21:16:36)

I will open a ticket on github for it, adding it to the "first run" - setup - thing seems valid imo.

Edit: https://github.com/teeworlds/teeworlds/issues/1217

Nice!
I hope it'll pass.

7 (edited by Tee Killa 2014-04-26 23:21:43)

New players probably have no idea how the dynamic camera or the static camera behave. Only a decicion they can't decide at that moment.

A better strategy would be to ask them after, let's say, the third startup of teeworlds if they want to TRY static camera instead dynamic camera. If yes teeworlds auto changes that setting with a note to where to change it back if desired.

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)

I don't like the idea of popups after time. And it doesn't fit with KISS either.

Third comment on this ticket (Sepulzera aka Slayer) wrote:

I was thinking about a window with both options and the explaination of them, like:

[ x ] Dynamic Camera ON
      - You can move the camera in a small area, to benefit of the larger view.
[    ] Dynamic Camera OFF
      - The camera can't be moved. Could feel smoother.

When knowing both benefits and cons, the player can try and compare hisself. AND he knows that it exists and why.

9 (edited by Tee Killa 2014-04-27 19:33:09)

Well it would need a really really good explanation in my opinion. I'd personally be overstrained if I had to decide what to use.

I would probably choose one for the sake of god because I wouldn't know what to choose either.

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)

Simple window on the first run, where you can pick from those two options, with good explanation (picture explanation if necessary) would be enough.

I have to say, that I agree with Tee Killa. However, it might be a better to switch dynamic camera off by default.