1 (edited by Bee 2013-11-07 17:22:04)

Topic: [Question] What happened to the like/dislike system?

Hey tee bros (and... broettes),

So, I know it's been a while since I've been on, and it's likely that this question may have already been answered (however, I did try searching it briefly on the Google and on the forums, but to no avail). So, my question is: why was the comment's like/dislike system removed? Back in the day (when I was just a pupa), I can remember one of the devs, or site moderators, had made it clear for us to not comment our "like" of someone's content but, rather, hit the *up* button or the *down* button for his or her comment, which would imply the same thing as a comment. In their minds, this lowered the forum comment-clutter, and, in my opinion, liking or disliking someone's comment also brought more communitee dynamics to the forum.
So, yes, I want to know why it was removed, and if anyone who controls the inner workings of the site would ever plan on bringing it back?... because I miss it. *sad face*

Does anyone else miss it? I put a poll together, so you can use it if one of the answers applies. If not, I suppose you can just comment your thoughts. smile

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

Re: [Question] What happened to the like/dislike system?

it was removed i think because basically people were just using it for cyber bullying (down-voting people they didn't agree with)

I think it's a good system to encourage content... perhaps allow upvotes only like facebook.

Moved to discussions.

So, the karma system was abused a lot and was no longer relevant at the end, so the webmaster decided it was not appropriate for a community like Teeworlds. There also was an issue where all the karma points data was lost.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

I'd appreciate some system, where you would only be able to up-vote other players' posts AND only the ones of players with lower or equal karma as myself. Also maybe show total amount of karma on the profile page, which - I think - at the moment is pretty useless.
Making it possible to down-vote posts is definitely a bad idea, as already stated by the posts above this one.
It really isn't an important feature, but it'd be nice to have. smile

burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Broken wrote:

... perhaps allow upvotes only like facebook.

Based on what the others said, I would say that's probably a pretty good middle ground to start off with if a "karma" system were to be re-implemented.

Dune wrote:

...So, the karma system was abused a lot and was no longer relevant at the end, so the webmaster decided it was not appropriate for a community like Teeworlds...

That's understandable, but do you know if the webmaster would consider bring a system like it back if the community supported it?

wappsify wrote:

I'd appreciate some system, where you would only be able to up-vote other players' posts AND only the ones of players with lower or equal karma as myself...

Wouldn't that mean member 1 couldn't up-vote the comment of member 2 if member 2 had more karma than member 1? I don't understand why you would think that would be a good idea. hmm

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

It's to prevent people from abusing the system, just the same like the reputation system on certain item trading sites, where you can't just create new accounts to give yourself more reputation. A forum like this one probably wouldn't need that, just some stupid idea of me, so nevermind. smile

burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

As far as i know, it was removed when Dune's karma became less than -250:)

Shahan wrote:

As far as i know, it was removed when Dune's karma became less than -250:)

Completely unrelated and an obvious flame of you, although it's true there were bots on the forum when the total karma system was instored. Don't expand on the topic.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

The old like/dislike plugin wasnt compatible with the new forum version.
And Karma was just...too different.

wappsify wrote:

It's to prevent people from abusing the system, just the same like the reputation system on certain item trading sites, where you can't just create new accounts to give yourself more reputation.

Oohh, I understand. I think you pointed out something that is actually important, which is more or less that people can create multiple (useless) accounts. I don't know of any way of preventing this, and I would be kind of surprised if someone were to make an extra account just to like his own comments. What would he really gain from this?
Maybe, I just don't understand how the karma system worked...

Slayer *gV* wrote:

The old like/dislike plugin wasnt compatible with the new forum version.
And Karma was just...too different.

As far as I know, the karma system had been around long before the new forum version was implemented.
And, it may have been different, but I still think the forum is lacking something major by not having a system, other than commenting "like/dislike," that shows the community's agreement or disagreement of a member's idea.

I just want to speak in favor of an up-vote system. It has proven to be successful in facebook and even Google thought it would be "+1" enough for their social network. It is free from hate and requires someone to express why he disagrees, possibly leading to a discussion. Other to that just agreeing doesn't need more information since the information is in the post that was upvoted already.
Also it can be more than just agreeing. Upvoting a creative or informative post could be more like a "thanks" or "i admire your work". While upvoting a question expresses interest in having it answered.

Teelevision wrote:

I just want to speak in favor of an up-vote system. It has proven to be successful in facebook and even Google thought it would be "+1" enough for their social network. It is free from hate and requires someone to express why he disagrees, possibly leading to a discussion. Other to that just agreeing doesn't need more information since the information is in the post that was upvoted already.
Also it can be more than just agreeing. Upvoting a creative or informative post could be more like a "thanks" or "i admire your work". While upvoting a question expresses interest in having it answered.

I dunno, on facebook I see people just upvoting stuff -- no matter what. If you look at the stackexchange network, you can maybe see that a plus&minus system has advantages too.