1 (edited by Neox 2014-04-08 11:52:55)

Topic: [MOD] Monster

Ahh ! Damn !! Monsters !! Run away !!!

Monster

What is it ?

Monster is a mod, where there are bots which are symbolized with weapons, and which are called monsters. This mod is kind like zChaos, but bots are not tee's, they are moving weapons. It isn't a single weapon, it would be ugly, it's something that makes you thinking that's a bad monster, so don't think that's a single weapon which can't do anything, it's much more.

So as I said it, this mod is kind like zChaos, but different. There are waves, the score is symbolized as money, you can place a wall which, instead of killing like in zChaos, deals 10 damage, there are upgrades, a vote menu and a nicely coded path, which is opensource.

About walls, you just need to have 10 armors and after that, aim and shot with your hammer. The wall will take its maximum lenght except if there is a collision between the max lenght and the pos of the player (which is the start pos of it)
You can configure the max lenght using

wall_lenght

A vote menu ?

Yes, as example you can buy upgrades from there, and you can add this kind of votes too, but if you want that they have a behaviour, you must code it. You need to type

add_svote "description"

to add a special vote.

I've mostly tried this mod on ctf5, so monsters are very well on ctf5, they are going nearly everywhere ! If you want to know, they can go everywhere except on downs, where you must hook to go up back.

Ninjas can be smarter if you enable

hard_ninja

in configurations. The default value makes it disabled (because then ninjas are REALLY hard)

So available configurations for the server are :

add_svote "description"
hard_ninja 0/1 (default value is 0)
wall_lenght Lenght (default value is 650, min is 32, max is 10 000)

Latest upload : 12/07/2013
Sources

Binaries
Windows
Linux 32 bit (Thanks to SteelTermite for the Linux binaries)
Linux 64 bit
Mac (Thanks to HMH for the Mac binaries)

Beware !
There is still a crashbug that needs to be fixed, I don't know where is it from but I saw in the console that's because the player gets kicked twice when "not acked for 10 seconds". There was a crashbug about the "Error sending data" kick that I've fixed with many checks, but the server keeps kicking sometimes people for "Error sending data" (they get the message "out of buffer" when this happens) and so, when someone isn't acked for 10 seconds, he gets kicked first because of it, and second for Error sending data, and this crashes the server.

I advice you to disable the vote kick and spectate because of people who flame against newbies, this happened several times in my test server.

sv_vote_kick 0
sv_vote_spectate 0

Two tunings are enabled automaticly (because it's better to play with these tunings), if you want to disable them ;

tune player_collision 1
tune player_hooking 1

Have fun playing it and thanks in advance for any comment (that will please me tongue) and for bug reports.

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

Re: [MOD] Monster

Sounds nice, let's try it!

I'm gonna kill you!
My avatar was made by R.I.P TeBob.

Pretty nice mod, but the only way to win is to camp and build laserwalls.
Higher levels require more people to camp + build walls.

Protip: Don't play this on your own

privet

Nice mod, hard but seems well done.

Just something: When using the shop, rather than typing out a 15 letter command settle for short letters like:

/unlimitedammo -> /buy ul

because I struggle to type unlmitedammo in 10 seconds acuratly =P

5 (edited by 2013-07-04 00:06:19)

Neox makes the server online, see's many players and see's loads and loads of bugs and crashbugs... crap... let's fix them ._.

bluelightzero wrote:

Nice mod, hard but seems well done.

Just something: When using the shop, rather than typing out a 15 letter command settle for short letters like:

/unlimitedammo -> /buy ul

because I struggle to type unlmitedammo in 10 seconds acuratly =P

it's for that players understand what they are buying, otherwise there are votes ^^

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

6 (edited by babak2010 2013-07-04 18:18:11)

:-""""""" tnx for mod nice sound big_smile

babak2010 wrote:

and again is not public smile tnx for mod nice sound big_smile

Neox76 wrote:

This mod is public and opensource, I am just looking for bugs, I'll publish it this week surely.

privet

Neox76 wrote:

Ahh ! Damn !! Monsters !! Run away !!!
This mod is public and opensource, I am just looking for bugs, I'll publish it this week surely.

I highly suggest using a program called 'Meld'
It allows you to see all your changes so you can quickly add the notes in where you have changed big_smile

There is one big bug... and I don't know where is it from... I think that's because of many the calculations, and this bug is crashing the server, creating lags etc.. ._.

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

Hey Neox,

"It isn't a single weapon, it would be ugly"

I'm a bit confused, why you choose weapons instead of real bots?
It looks horrible, instead of weapons you could also use laser if its so hard for you to create dummies.
Such illogical mods destroy the game. Please change the idea with your monsters, choose bots or lasers instead of agresiv weapons :'(.

If this problem would be solved, I would be very happy.

.:|Cyser!xXx' is rly insane big_smile

CyserixXx wrote:

Hey Neox,

"It isn't a single weapon, it would be ugly"

I'm a bit confused, why you choose weapons instead of real bots?
It looks horrible, instead of weapons you could also use laser if its so hard for you to create dummies.
Such illogical mods destroy the game. Please change the idea with your monsters, choose bots or lasers instead of agresiv weapons :'(.

If this problem would be solved, I would be very happy.

1st. Yes it's hard (doesn't mean I can't do it)
2nd. I don't like bugs that create this kind of bots (you can see them in the server ddrace64, some players are invisible to you and some other stuff), a client can snap max 16 characters so it will surely create a bug somewhere

So I just prefered weapons instead of Tees, I know, a Tee would be better, but if you think that's easy and without bug, you could just take my mod when it's released and recode it...

I'll publish the mod in 1-2 days surely, the crashbug isn't fixed but I could do at least that the server will reload instead of crashing, I think that this bug comes because of the many calculations of the bots... If it's not and you find it, please report it here.

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

Neox76 wrote:

I'll publish the mod in 1-2 days surely, the crashbug isn't fixed but I could do at least that the server will reload instead of crashing, I think that this bug comes because of the many calculations of the bots... If it's not and you find it, please report it here.

I think you are wrong... I played your mod very much, I really like it and have some spare time wink But I don't think the problem is caused by the calculations of mobs in game, because, when I play wave 30+ just 10 sec after the spawn, it starts lagging and for a long time, 30 seconds or so??? And later, when still 16  mobs are in the game (only the queue is lower) its not lagging anymore, its just, *floep*, over... Maybe you are doing calculations for all mobs (not only in game but in queue too)? I really think its something with the mobs in queue... But I dont understand that it plays well the first 10 seconds after spawn... Because then the most mobs are in game... (And in queue)...

Hey
if someone join an empty 'Monster' Server and this person join automatacly to the Spectator mode (sv_tournamend 1?) the Server are thinking that you was killed by a Zombie/Monster and don't let you join... please fix it

14 (edited by Neox 2014-11-24 19:41:25)

Herjan wrote:
Neox76 wrote:

I think you are wrong... I played your mod very much, I really like it and have some spare time wink But I don't think the problem is caused by the calculations of mobs in game, because, when I play wave 30+ just 10 sec after the spawn, it starts lagging and for a long time, 30 seconds or so??? And later, when still 16  mobs are in the game (only the queue is lower) its not lagging anymore, its just, *floep*, over... Maybe you are doing calculations for all mobs (not only in game but in queue too)? I really think its something with the mobs in queue... But I dont understand that it plays well the first 10 seconds after spawn... Because then the most mobs are in game... (And in queue)...

No, queued monsters are created (so they do calculations) only after they find a free slot (so as example 15/16).
Lags might come because of my host, which I need to change to linux (yes, it's a windows server...)

It crashed in my home server when I was trying to make ninjas smarter, they were doing a lot of calculations and THAT crashbug appeared (so I really think that they come because of the many calculations)

kingtee.ger wrote:

Hey
if someone join an empty 'Monster' Server and this person join automatacly to the Spectator mode (sv_tournamend 1?) the Server are thinking that you was killed by a Zombie/Monster and don't let you join... please fix it

No, I know where is this bug from ; If someone will "normally" be kicked for "Error sending data" (so the server will normally crash), I made like it will kick him in a secure way, so it will not crash, but it creates (sometimes) this problem, which I already thought about fixing. What I've said is only if there is nobody in game, everybody are in spectators.
In the other case ; There is someone playing and the current wave is higher than 1, you will stay in spectators until the next wave.

Found the reason of crashes and of the hard lags when there are too many players...

Will be public and opensource when I'll replace that code and test it for 2-3 days (just to see if there will be crashes or something like that)

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

Please fix, that if you get kicked from server (too weak connection for example) that if you come back you get your upgrades + points back... You have to start with nothing again now, that sucks hard... Btw, I really had no lagg when 16 monsters are in game, only wave 30/35+ I get lagg in the beginning, but later lagg is over... (When still 16 monsters in game)... Its a really weird thing and my friends hate ur mod because of the lagg... And I have to agree with them... Now I have the advantage that I know it and search a safe place before the wave begins... But... You know....

16 (edited by Neox 2013-07-10 21:12:10)

Herjan wrote:

Please fix, that if you get kicked from server (too weak connection for example) that if you come back you get your upgrades + points back... You have to start with nothing again now, that sucks hard... Btw, I really had no lagg when 16 monsters are in game, only wave 30/35+ I get lagg in the beginning, but later lagg is over... (When still 16 monsters in game)... Its a really weird thing and my friends hate ur mod because of the lagg... And I have to agree with them... Now I have the advantage that I know it and search a safe place before the wave begins... But... You know....

Did you read my last reply ? I said that's a bug and that I need to fix it, it happens when there are too many players in game + 16 monsters, and I am actually trying to fix it. You can say it to your friends for they understand it, so they will come back in some days.

-----

Bugs are now fixed.

Just testing for 2-3 days to see if there are any bug/crashbug, if not, I'll publish sources and binaries.
I'll need a linux version, if someone that can compile on linux can PM me, it would be nice.

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

Neox76 wrote:

Did you read my last reply ? I said that's a bug and that I need to fix it, it happens when there are too many players in game + 16 monsters, and I am actually trying to fix it. You can say it to your friends for they understand it, so they will come back in some days.

-----

Bugs are now fixed.

Just testing for 2-3 days to see if there are any bug/crashbug, if not, I'll publish sources and binaries.
I'll need a linux version, if someone that can compile on linux can PM me, it would be nice.

Ok, what caused this lagg then??? Im curious wink
It played very well, I have to say idd.

Herjan wrote:
Neox76 wrote:

-----

Bugs are now fixed.

Ok, what caused this lagg then??? Im curious wink
It played very well, I have to say idd.

The quote after this sentence in my last post

Found the reason of crashes and of the hard lags when there are too many players... it's simply this function :

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

Ok, we were playing wave 50+ Was SOOOOOO COOOOL but then the server, BAM, dead... Maybe don't check every frame stuff, but let the monsters check it only once in 3/4 frames, that's enough, and... 3 times faster.

BTW, when somebody leaves (internet problem or whatever) and comes back, give him his stuff back... I say it 3 times, I know, but I think you want to leave it because: 'lagg is fixed'. But it comes always handy wink

Hope you can do something with these 'ideas'... Good Luck smile

20 (edited by Neox 2013-07-12 13:35:55)

Herjan wrote:

Ok, we were playing wave 50+ Was SOOOOOO COOOOL but then the server, BAM, dead... Maybe don't check every frame stuff, but let the monsters check it only once in 3/4 frames, that's enough, and... 3 times faster.

BTW, when somebody leaves (internet problem or whatever) and comes back, give him his stuff back... I say it 3 times, I know, but I think you want to leave it because: 'lagg is fixed'. But it comes always handy wink

Hope you can do something with these 'ideas'... Good Luck smile

Thought about it already but it can create some boring bugs, and I will need to test it. I will release sources and binaries surely tomorrow.

---

Binaries and sources are now released. (Check the main post)

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

LOVE THIS Nice mod Neox76!! My new favorite! smile

Broski/Surya/sün

22 (edited by kingtee.ger 2013-07-13 16:38:08)

I'd reduce the Problem of crashing. I think the reason of crashing is an overflow of enteties. I'd make following changes and test it on my low Notepok on wave 4000 and it just a little bit laggy. (But it was only 1 player ingame..)
  - Reduce the Monster look. At the moment you embody monsters with 3 weapons. I use 1 thats less 32 enteties
  - Reduce the Spread of shotgun ( - 2 spreads)
  - Reduce the Handle a little bit. A little bit change for the eyes but a big change for the server rescure

Can you make this changes to for your Server? smile

/E
http://www.file-upload.net/download-783 … s.rar.html
Please update your Server :>

@kingtee.ger

check your inbox wink

24 (edited by Neox 2013-07-13 17:24:05)

kingtee.ger wrote:

I'd reduce the Problem of crashing. I think the reason of crashing is an overflow of enteties. I'd make following changes and test it on my low Notepok on wave 4000 and it just a little bit laggy. (But it was only 1 player ingame..)
  - Reduce the Monster look. At the moment you embody monsters with 3 weapons. I use 1 thats less 32 enteties
  - Reduce the Spread of shotgun ( - 2 spreads)
  - Reduce the Handle a little bit. A little bit change for the eyes but a big change for the server rescure

Can you make this changes to for your Server? smile

/E
http://www.file-upload.net/download-783 … s.rar.html
Please update your Server :>

I have worst, really worst things in my city servers (and it never crashes), just when the server starts there are already more than 100 entities (which have all of them a behaviour), the shooting speed and the spreading are really higher than the one in monster.
+ Error sending data cannot happen from there.
If you are talking about hard lags saying crashes, this comes because of my host which is Windows (a windows server) that I need to change (that I will change in september)

I think that the crash comes because of the broadcast and only it, which is in the player.cpp

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

25 (edited by SteelTermite 2013-07-16 19:36:39)

Neox76 wrote:

If someone can compile it for Linux...

I successfully compiled the Monster server for Linux (although I had to add #include "math.h" in src/base/vmath.h). The binary is 64 bit. If you want a 32 bit binary, please let me know.

The Linux binary can be found here (md5sum 05d645fe0e63cf6cf1b1d5db77f8df00).