1 (edited by Arrob 2013-03-28 22:14:22)

Topic: background filesize

hello, just want to ask quickly if theres a way to solve my problem:
i created a background for my map with inkscape. i want it to be static, so if you move the background is stuck tothe world. theres just one problem: teeworlds wants this file as png. the svg is arround 4kb, the last png i tried and that worked was 86mb and it looked very bad ingame. i again put the resolution up to 4 times, resulting in a png 186mb big, but when i loaded it teeworlds crashed (wtf). is there a easy way to solve this? if not i think i just have to make the background moving with you (like its normal in most maps).

/edit
nvm, ill make it like normal backgrounds, although it fits shitty to the theme of the map.
i just dont see another way until teeworlds can load vectorr graphics (.svg preferable).

now just use this thread to say how cool i, loading a 200mb background into a teeworlds map, am.

Re: background filesize

You caught my attention, when I stumbled upon your numbers: an image file of 86 megabytes? I'd say nice try!
That's quite a mass compared to the files teeworlds is used to handle smile

Unfortunately it's not only the problem to load that file, but actually save it for your final map. Others need to upload it to their servers and players have to download it. Most of the times a download of 1MB takes ages within teeworlds.
Once I tried to embed a new transparent image as foreground, like looking through glass, but its filesize was bigger than I wanted it to be. So my test was not successful too.

At my test I figured teeworlds editor only accepts 24bit png files with transparency, I have tested some compressed versions of default tilesets (lets say png with just 8 colours). Those can not be loaded at all.
In my opinion this could improve most map filesizes a lot.

3 (edited by Arrob 2013-03-29 20:48:29)

download is very slow if using windows. i noticed that if you play teeworlds under ubuntu, maps of a few hundred kb are downloaded that fast you dont even have the time to notice how much kb it really was. dont know why this is.

final version now ill make the background moving with you, allowing me to have it sharp at a resolution of about 1600*1000, still this needs 2,4mb but its still a big compromiss for me and i wont go lower.

That was probably the new fast download feature, not ubuntu.