Topic: 2008 - teeworlds at it's best

Hey guys, i stopped playing teeworlds about 2 years ago and these days i randomly started teeworlds at my pc and in server list I started searching for strong or old vanilla players, and all i found was 2 servers, both 10 players on it. 4 Years ago, there were 10 Players from ONE clan online at the same time. Not only one clan, there were about 20 vanilla clans to compete with. I just want to show you a clanwar from 2008 (not the best clans back there, but also very strong):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj3ULzaN … mp;list=UL
Everday were bunch of clanwars, which were organized and played very seriously.
So what did "teeworlds" wrong that the most important scene doesn't exist anymore?

Re: 2008 - teeworlds at it's best

0.5 ftw

3 (edited by Dune 2012-11-06 21:48:13)

We're all aware of that here.

In a nutshell, the exponentially growing number of casual mods (especially one which I will not name because of the usual controversy) has taken away more and more new players and the CTF scene was not refreshed for long. While older players naturally stopped playing, a lot of the competitiveness disappeared.

2 years ago, this was already happening with the growing number of instagibbers and CTF custom map players, cliffhanger was always full back then. It's quite normal to feel welcome by these more casual maps/gametypes, but it has completely overtaken the "competitive" scene.

Tried to stay objective, critics are open if anyone disagrees.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

4 (edited by Kintaro* 2012-11-06 23:01:52)

bluescreen when a friend was showing me teeworlds for 2 years he dont show me the real teeworlds hmm he show me tge mod d....e so i started playing all the time this mod becasue i thought this is teeworlds big_smile
ctf i saw when i was playing **** so much that i dont want to play it becasue...new..and i wont start anything more becasue i put so much work in the mod hmm
today i play only ctf because **** is going too boring (wow 2 years) and ctf is more much fun than ****. i dont know like it has been since 2 years...but today when i have luck i can play a lot of capgames and funwars wink

Teeworlds never die smile

bad eng i know

Vanilla FTW!
My Videos

5 (edited by Broken 2012-11-06 23:33:03)

Show me a single old vanilla pro that left vanilla because of another mod. This myth really has to die.

Broken wrote:

Show me a single old vanilla pro that left vanilla because of another mod. This myth really has to die.

Me

http://teeworlds-stats.info/index.php?player=yemDX

Ex-King of Teeworlds

yemDX wrote:
Broken wrote:

Me

http://teeworlds-stats.info/index.php?player=yemDX

I can confirm this is true.

Hm... There are still good clans around today, and many of them started playing teeworlds around when Teeworlds 4 and 5 came out. Such as Inspire,Krypton,Dragonfight, and many many others, and secret ones nobody knows about too. And normally I run H-Client and I see 250 to 589 servers online.  SO NOT 2

no

9 (edited by Dune 2012-11-07 11:53:17)

Lord Kirby wrote:

Hm... There are still good clans around today, and many of them started playing teeworlds around when Teeworlds 4 and 5 came out. Such as Inspire,Krypton,Dragonfight, and many many others, and secret ones nobody knows about too. And normally I run H-Client and I see 250 to 589 servers online.  SO NOT 2

We're talking about vanilla here.

Lord Kirby wrote:

secret ones nobody knows about too

That's awesome to hear about.

Broken wrote:

You read me wrong.
The matter is not about good players leaving vanilla because of other gametypes, it's about the vanilla scene not being refreshed.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

10 (edited by bluescreen 2012-11-07 19:09:26)

Lord Kirby [HDP] wrote:

You totally missed the point. It's about the vanilla high skill scene.

Dune wrote:
Broken wrote:

You read me wrong.
The matter is not about good players leaving vanilla because of other gametypes, it's about the vanilla scene not being refreshed.

Yea, but i think it's the fault of the other gametypes, letting new players play mods first leads them to never try the original game. So the scene was bored, because there weren't any new player or only a few. There weren't any new clans, just reformed old clans with nearly the same guys in it and a few instagib clans tried to switch to vanilla but failed at that point.

And i can't say no one did somtehing about this. For example i founded a clan, who trained players which wanted to make the transition to vanilla, but also new players and it was pretty successful at the beginning. There were many others clans which tried the same.

11 (edited by Dune 2012-11-07 19:39:48)

On the other hand, there is really very few (to none) highlight on what is actually Teeworlds, and what is might-not-be-so-good community-made stuff (apart from the little exclamation mark which is not explicit to any newcomer).

Some other games use two main tabs - for example, "Teeworlds" and "Custom servers" - this way you can clearly tell what is what. I really wish the UI would have been designed this way, this would change quite a lot of things.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

12 (edited by Zargon 2012-11-07 20:36:51)

Dune wrote:

Some other games use two main tabs - for example, "Teeworlds" and "Custom servers" - this way you can clearly tell what is what. I really wish the UI would have been designed this way, this would change quite a lot of things.

Couldn't agree more.

13 (edited by Slinack 2012-11-07 23:06:28)

Dune wrote:

On the other hand, there is really very few (to none) highlight on what is actually Teeworlds, and what is might-not-be-so-good community-made stuff (apart from the little exclamation mark which is not explicit to any newcomer).

Since there is no vote system anymore, I feel like I should express my agreement (to Dune's opinion) over here and hope some real change is made. :)

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

14 (edited by traitor 2012-11-08 02:21:34)

[to comment #13]
Actually this is a facet of teeworlds I really, really like:
It is one teeworld but with lots of different continents, some are seperated by great oceans others by just one tiny river - although each mode (user created or not) is part of one game!
Some much variety is far from all other games I know of (okay I do not know much about games, but still...)
If you have many modes it is a representation of a living community, creative people and interested players.

So all the discussion is about defining the real teeworlds, but what is it? The first available gametype, the officially released ones, even when it new with an upcoming version? Same is true for maps, .... yet another thread of then story.

Based on my own experiences about the mode iCTF I can not say I am totally happy, but yet I think a possible solution could be: integrate more gametypes into the official game and do the same for the maps or promote download sources for maps (like that database for example). Provide a better support for these to get rid of stupid errors and faulty configurated servera) and most important - and possible as a community work: create the missing manual. Explaining gametypes and such.

I am aware the topic has been started to discuss about the absence of strong players (and clans) [comment #3] but I am thinking about solutions.

Alright. But there is this one teeworld, the reason all the other worlds exist. And we want this teeworld to be more noticed and more played.

And the solution isn't to make more gametypes official. (well, imo)
There are some cool MODs, but that's what they are.

I just hope the "Recommended Servers" will do the job.

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

Dune wrote:

I agree!

--

Also the people here is getting more used to play some custom mods than playing vanilla,just because nothing really happens there except random games; playing public games over and over gets boring so they just move on a mod where they could have some fun; That's the part that vanilla lost.
No competiotions no fun. I remember that once there were ESL  and  random organised tournaments,full ctf servers,a lot of clans and everything disappeard because of boredom.
But more, is the community interested in doing/partecipating on something?

I would do anything to revive those times again!

The only reason I end up playing custom mods after a game on a vanilla server is because vanilla gets boring... very quickly. There needs to be more official gametypes or at least make the vanilla gametypes more interesting, e.g. with killing sprees. Nothing is wrong with "RACE" or "zCatch".

Which of the oldschool highlevel players are you actually?