1 (edited by poopdawg 2012-11-19 02:00:37)

Topic: Idea for Teeworlds competitive community

Hey everyone. I'm a long-time lurker and a relatively new player of the game (~ 4 mo.). I used to play CS:S competitively, but I stopped about two or three years ago, and Teeworlds has filled that void for me over these past few months. I think it's fantastic. I spend a lot of time on YouTube watching frag vids in admiration, itching to play in a competitive format. The problem is that I can't seem to find a ton of scrims going on. I don't know if I'm just not looking in the right place or what.

As some of you may know, CS:S has a really active pick-up game network on ESEA. When ESEA caught on, it really ignited that competitive community. Being able to join a server and start playing a structured 5v5 pug was great. I think the Teeworlds community could really benefit from something like that.

What would it take to get something like that started? A matchmaking client would be necessary, but what other logistics would matter? ESEA lets players keep track of stats, which is really nice. What are the primary match specifications for vanilla CTF? 4v4?

Discuss.

Re: Idea for Teeworlds competitive community

Interesting ideas, I will add some salt to your soup:
during the past years I have noticed it is much easier to find competitive opponents on organized matches when you are member of a team (you may call it clan). There are groups with certain requirements or expectations of skill and character, so you will find interested and strong players with special clan tags. When your name is known you might ask for a membership.

Okay these are the old structures, but you suggest to create something new. Could you explain their systema  little bit further, wikipedia does not explain much about ESEA.
Do you have to use a modified client to verify your account or so?
Is it always available without making an appointment before?

Sure. To help explain how ESEA works, take a look at this image from the Wiki page you posted:

PunBB bbcode test

ESEA owns a bunch of dedicated servers in different cities. The servers are all dedicated to 5v5 games. You see 11/11 in some servers because there is a "SourceTV," which takes up a server slot. SourceTV is a computer spectator that records the game. At the end of pugs, the demo is uploaded to ESEA.

The ESEA client lists servers in a standard way: map, players, ping, location, etc. You also have a friends list on the side where you can see if people you know are in a game or logged onto the client. The client also includes an anticheat, since hacking is a pretty big problem in CS:S.

You join a server and when ten are in and "readied up": each player types .ready and the server won't start the match until all 10 are ready. If someone doesn't ready up within two minutes, they're booted from the server).

ESEA also tracks stats. So, for example, it will track your AK47 accuracy, M4 accuracy, deagle accuracy, etc., along with other stats like average damage per round and RWS (round win shares; a performance measure constructed by ESEA).

I would love a lobby with a pairing service of some sort.

5 (edited by Dune 2012-11-19 15:53:42)

poopdawg wrote:

What would it take to get something like that started? A matchmaking client would be necessary, but what other logistics would matter? ESEA lets players keep track of stats, which is really nice. What are the primary match specifications for vanilla CTF? 4v4?

Discuss.

Competitive CTF is played in:
- 4v4 on ctf2
- 3v3 on ctf3

Source

It's really nice that you come up with that effort, but I'm not sure if there is a lot of potential for it to work.
A matchmaking client would take a lot to be made and the motivation is to be found for such an uninterested community.

Maybe if you had come with it 1 year ago, I would have been enthusiastic about that.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Streaming, demo recording, structured gameplay, ways to get more vanilla players, and that all in a professional league and not like the crap we had with esl.

7 (edited by poopdawg 2012-11-19 16:47:08)

In case there's any confusion, the goal isn't to start a league per se. That could come of something like this at some point (going back to the example with ESEA and CS:S, ESEA didn't support leagues for years; now they're the most active league in CS:S), but I don't think it should be the focus as of now. A matchmaking client that pairs players with other players to do pick-up games in a competitive format would make it easy for the average player to play the game at least quasi-competitively. I think the difficulty in designing a client to support this might be overstated. Acquiring enough dedicated servers (I'd imagine ten would be sufficient as a start) will probably a barrier to start something like this, but that could probably be handled without too much pain. Beyond that, the matchmaking bit seems relatively straightforward. Most of the energy spent designing the ESEA client arises from the nature of CS:S. All weapons are hitscan, so cheating becomes a big problem. As far as I can tell, you don't really have this problem in vanilla.

My friend helped designed a few clients for other games. I'll run the idea by him and try to get a sense of how difficult it would be to design such a thing.

Thanks for the efforts. Waiting on the feedback of your friend! : )

Not Luck, Just Magic.