1 (edited by android272 2015-11-25 19:18:46)

Topic: [TILESET] Japanese Temple [With Source Files] officially pimped

Here is a Japanese Temple tileset I have been working on.  I wanted to fill in the blank spots with more objects but I could not think of anything else.  I also made Mount Fuji to put in the background.  Let me know what you think and if you think I am missing something.

I did incorperate some of the tiles from the Panda set into this tileset.

The

Japanese_Temple
Japanese_Trees
Mount_Fuji
Cherry Blossom Mid Ground
Here is a cherry blossom petal for a nice partial affect to show the petals falling from the tree as they do.
Cherry Blossom Petal
I made the arch such that you could put the top, left and right poles on different layers it would look as though the Tee can walk through the arch.  put one pole behind where the tee walks, the top of the arch on the layer the tee walks, and the other pole above where the tee walks.

Source Files for Japanese Temple, Mount Fuji.  There is a green download button on the right side of the page.

License: Creative Commons License - Attribution - Commercial use - Share Alike (CC BY 4.0)
TL;DR:
CAN:                             CANNOT:            MUST:
Commercial Use          Sublicense         Give Credit
Distribute                                                  Include Copyright
Modify                                                       State Changes
Rename

Note: I don't care too much about giving me credit or that you state changes as much as this copy right must stay with what ever is copied or modified.

edit by Landil: this is thread for all the people who are interested in creating a tileset on their own. A lot of questions are asked and I try to explain why I draw tee graphics in a certain way. Let this discussion be an inspiration and take your virtual pen and draw some teeworlds graphics. Maybe you are the person who creates the next teeworlds tileset. smile

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

Re: [TILESET] Japanese Temple [With Source Files] officially pimped

This looks amazing!

What tileset should we use this with?

(I wonder whether this could even be official mapres.)

3 (edited by android272 2015-10-16 19:37:21)

I would use them with grass main or even snow.  I hope it becomes an official tile set.

I do have a question about tileset.  When I went to test this the temple for example looks very odd. its like the edges of all the tiles get blurred or moved a bit. Did I do something wrong?

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

You need to run the tools tileset_borderfix and dilate on them, but I don't know in which order to be honest.

BTW, as I've never really drawn anything, I find it awesome that you provide us with the source files. What tool do you use to draw these?

I thought border fix is only for tiles.....

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

This looks good.

You know how there's snow falling in ctf2? What do you think about falling sakura leaves?

If I were to nitpick, the temple looks a little off--the roof and the roundedness. The roof should be black tiles, and I don't think I've ever seen a round temple in Japan. It actually looks Chinese for some reason.

I like the tile ^_^
http://s8.hostingkartinok.com/uploads/images/2015/10/92d75affde10fe94333db3c3284e6783.png
http://s8.hostingkartinok.com/uploads/images/2015/10/be90b74ff2b253271f3afb122a93a63c.png

8 (edited by 2015-10-20 16:08:12)

heinrich5991 wrote:

You need to run the tools tileset_borderfix and dilate on them, but I don't know in which order to be honest.

BTW, as I've never really drawn anything, I find it awesome that you provide us with the source files. What tool do you use to draw these?

Do you know where I can get these tileset,_borderfix and dilate... Things.. Are they scripts?

I use inkscape to make my art.  I also use GIMP for somethings.

Pathos wrote:

This looks good.

You know how there's snow falling in ctf2? What do you think about falling sakura leaves?

If I were to nitpick, the temple looks a little off--the roof and the roundedness. The roof should be black tiles, and I don't think I've ever seen a round temple in Japan. It actually looks Chinese for some reason.

I forgot I did make a sakura leave partial.  I will upload it now.  I think one of the prettiest aspects of cherry blossom trees is watching their petals fall. Can't have cherry blossom trees if their petals don't fall.

I was going to add black tiles to the roof but I though someone would come back with that is too much detail.  I wanted the temple to look like a normal Tee structure.  As @Landil pointed out in the panda tileset all Tee structures are round.  So I made a round building with a Japanese temple style roof.  I will make the changes and upload them latter.

There you go I added the cherry blossom petal.  I will update the temple roof later.

compile them with 'bam tools', then make a copy of your images and drag them onto the binaries (or I think you can run them with file name as option)

NOTE these will affect the image, make sure to run them on a copy of the images. you should not edit the images which come out of the borderfix, dilate

see this post on ddnet for more information (http://forum.ddnet.tw/viewtopic.php?p=10729#p10729)

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

You can download these tools on http://ddnet.tw/downloads/ (I don't think there's an official Teeworlds download for them), look under "Mapping Graphics Tools".

heinrich5991 wrote:

You can download these tools on http://ddnet.tw/downloads/ (I don't think there's an official Teeworlds download for them), look under "Mapping Graphics Tools".

Thanks for this I will check this out for when I update the tileset.

So I ran the code below and saw the image refresh but it does not look as though anything happened when I previewed it.  Loaded it up in Teeworlds map editor and it still looks weird.  There is no read me or anything does anyone know how this works?

./tileset_borderfix Japanese_temple.png
./dilate Japanese_temple.png

android272 wrote:

So I ran the code below and saw the image refresh but it does not look as though anything happened when I previewed it.  Loaded it up in Teeworlds map editor and it still looks weird.  There is no read me or anything does anyone know how this works?

./tileset_borderfix Japanese_temple.png
./dilate Japanese_temple.png

Render it from svg again and maybe try it the other way around.

(Applying the tools multiple times will result in bad image files btw)

I don't think that borderfix should be run for doodads. As far as I know, tilleset_borderfix and tilleset_borderadd should only be used for rectangular, blocky tiles like generic_unhookable. I see no difference to the image after applying dilate, but I use it anyway.

A is for Apple.

yeah. that's good. if you don't see any difference between dilate and no dilate, then android made everything right. but still, execute it. I also think tileset_borderfix should only be run into "normal" tilesets like grass_main because it shrinks every "block" so one block don't collide with another (virtually)

Schwertspize wrote:

I also think tileset_borderfix should only be run into "normal" tilesets like grass_main

Actually, not quite. tileset_borderfix and tileset_borderadd shouldn't be used on those types of tiles. You can especially see what it does with Landil's counter-strike tiles (look at the borders between each tile):

http://heinrich5991.de/teeworlds/landil/mapres/unhookables.png

For doodads and tilesets like grass_main, as long as you keep each tile within a 64px by 64px square, it should look fine.

A is for Apple.

Oh.. OK borderfix and borderadd add joints/fugues (don't know exactly in german it's Fugen) between bricks.

but dilate is a must!

Oblique. wrote:

I don't think that borderfix should be run for doodads. As far as I know, tilleset_borderfix and tilleset_borderadd should only be used for rectangular, blocky tiles like generic_unhookable. I see no difference to the image after applying dilate, but I use it anyway.

It should be used for all tilesets IIRC. What you see in an image editor is not what Teeworlds displays.

I'm really fond of the art of this one.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

@android272
I'd just like to add that I'm really impressed with what you're doing, and I hope you don't run out of ideas!

Also, I'm a little curious. Did you use the trace bitmap function in Inkscape when you drew Mount Fuji?

A is for Apple.

Ok I did a series of tests. I found that tileset_borderadd, tileset_borderfix, tileset_borderrem, and tileset_borderset made my doodads worse.

tileset_borderadd then dilate, tileset_borderrem then dilate, tileset_borderadd then tileset_borderfix, tileset_borderadd then tileset_borderset,   tileset_borderadd then tileset_borderfix then dilate, tileset_borderadd then then tileset_borderset really dilate, sucked.

tileset_borderfix then dilate, tileset_borderadd then tileset_borderrem, tileset_borderfix then tileset_borderrem, tileset_borderfix then tileset_borderset, tileset_borderrem then tileset_borderset, tileset_borderadd then tileset_borderrem then dilate, tileset_borderfix then tileset_borderrem then dilate, tileset_borderfix then tileset_borderset then dilate, tileset_borderrem then tileset_borderset then dilate was just as bad as the the scripts by them selves.

TL;DR nothing made the doodads look better....

Dune wrote:

I'm really fond of the art of this one.

Thank you smile

Oblique. wrote:

@android272
I'd just like to add that I'm really impressed with what you're doing, and I hope you don't run out of ideas!

Also, I'm a little curious. Did you use the trace bitmap function in Inkscape when you drew Mount Fuji?

Thank you, and no I did not use trace bitmap in Inkscape to make Mount Fuji.  In my experince trace bitmap does not really work well unless you want to do a lot of modifying after the process. It adds way too many layers and blurs it too much. But no I traced Mount Fuji myself with the Bezier tool.  The hard part was balancing too much detail and not enough detail in the whole set.  I actually let Inkscape do the majority of the work.  I just found out about the "make selected node auto-smooth" option and it has become one of my favorite tools.  All you have to do is put the right amount of nodes in the right places and inkscape smooths them pretty well.

android272 wrote:

Ok I did a series of tests. I found that tileset_borderadd, tileset_borderfix, tileset_borderrem, and tileset_borderset made my doodads worse.

tileset_borderadd then dilate, tileset_borderrem then dilate, tileset_borderadd then tileset_borderfix, tileset_borderadd then tileset_borderset,   tileset_borderadd then tileset_borderfix then dilate, tileset_borderadd then then tileset_borderset really dilate, sucked.

tileset_borderfix then dilate, tileset_borderadd then tileset_borderrem, tileset_borderfix then tileset_borderrem, tileset_borderfix then tileset_borderset, tileset_borderrem then tileset_borderset, tileset_borderadd then tileset_borderrem then dilate, tileset_borderfix then tileset_borderrem then dilate, tileset_borderfix then tileset_borderset then dilate, tileset_borderrem then tileset_borderset then dilate was just as bad as the the scripts by them selves.

I tried it as well, and I couldn't make out any bad things, not even in the original tileset. Could you take a look at this map?

Btw, I think Teeworlds wants 1024x1024 tilesets, not sure why it accepted the 3361x3361 one.

heinrich5991 wrote:
android272 wrote:

I tried it as well, and I couldn't make out any bad things, not even in the original tileset. Could you take a look at this map?

Btw, I think Teeworlds wants 1024x1024 tilesets, not sure why it accepted the 3361x3361 one.

I would love to take a look at your map but I dont' know how to test maps.

When I made the doodads I use other doodads as a template.  I just looked at winter_doodads and desert_doodads and you are right. they are 1024x1024 and my doodads are 3361x3361....  I don't understand how this works..

Make sure tilesets are 1024 x 1024 before you borderfix them.

C'mon put some further efforts in your tileset and we might make it official ...
Here's some help and inspiration
http://i.solidfiles.net/059dac4a5f.png

Here is a timeline of the rework I did.
http://i.solidfiles.net/e31efbf433.png

Open the images seperately to zoom in

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Landil wrote:

Make sure tilesets are 1024 x 1024 before you borderfix them.

C'mon put some further efforts in your tileset and we might make it official ...
Here's some help and inspiration
http://i.solidfiles.net/059dac4a5f.png

Here is a timeline of the rework I did.
http://i.solidfiles.net/e31efbf433.png

Open the images seperately to zoom in

The think I don't understand about is that when I look at the page size in inkscape it says that it is 1024x1024 but when I look at is in my file browser it says that it is 3361x3361...  also why do I even need to run scripts on my tilesets at all? why does Teeworlds screw with my tileset?

First Image

As for the Bonsai trees. Someone already did Bonsai trees so I wanted to do cherry blossom trees. Bonsai Trees should be apart of this set but I do not have room for them. So I did not add them.

I do not completely understand Parallel Projection. To my understanding this is handled the map layers.  From everything I saw when I googled it there is nothing I can do to make something more in a parallel perspective.  I do see what you mean with the Lantern tops and bottoms but to my understanding everything else in this doodad is in parallel perspective.

I don't understand what you mean by colorset. I did not use that many colors in this doodad. In Tee Style shading can be 1 (sometimes 2) shadows for each color.  Each color has one to two shadows.

This doodad is very simple.  I think when compared to many other tileset and doodad that this does in fact keep to the tee style.  What do you mean "find the archetypical design" and "find one shape, which you might reuse in several different graphics for theis tileset"?  I belive I have achieved archetypal design and I have reuse things in this tileset.

Ok I took out the outlines.

I think that this 25% zoom rule is way to ridiculous.  In inkscape when I go do 25% zoom you can't see anything. But when you go into the map editor hit 1:1 zoom everything looks fine. I see some things that could be modified but even then everything looks fine.  As for my cherry blossom trees I think this is just the right amount of detail that you understand what it actually is and still looks teeish.  Take out these details and these trees look like Doctor Seuss trees and not cherry blossom trees.

Second Image

I agree with having more variety on the lanterns tassels as well as the rope that it is hanging on.

I do see how the perspective of the lantern tops and bottoms are a bit off.

I really like what you did to the lanterns, taking away the eyes and adding the lines.

I changed the black and the red. Do you mean that you want a blue version of the temple?