1 (edited by android272 2015-10-30 20:58:18)

Topic: Revamp Tee's

I would like to suggest some improvements to the look and feel of the tees. 

In theatre you are taught to keep your body open. That is to always keep the front of your body facing as much to the audience as you can.  When two people speak with one another on stage, they need to face each other and the audience.  The way they accomplish this feat is to cheat out, halfway between profile and full front.  This position, depending on which side the actor is standing, is called one-quarter left or right.

In video games especially sidescrollers such as teeworlds it is also true that the character should face one-quarter left, right or full front. This is not because we absolutely have to but because it is what the audience is used to and expects(whether they know it or not).  It is natural for the characters on screen/stage to be some what facing the audience.  If you take a look at other sidescrollers  such as Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and others you will see that their characters are slightly turned toward the screen so that you can see more of the characters face and body even though if you were to try to walk like this it would look strange in real life.

Tees look as though they are actually turning their backs toward the audience. yet their eyes are looking as though they are turned one-quarter left or right.  The first thing that could be done to make Tees look better is to move their front foot(below would be the right foot) back and the back foot forward.  This will achieve the one-quarter look.

Feet Position

The next thing that would make Tees look better would be to turn their feet around and flip their skin when they look left.  Currently when a Tee is looking left it looks as though their feet are pointing right and when they walk left it looks odd.

Turn Body

When I posted about this previously I suggested that when the Tee Looks at 91° or 270° the Tees feet would point right, and when the Tee looks 90° or 271° their feet would point left. But when I suggested this before I did not consider skins with asymmetric bodys.  So now I suggest that the entire skin be flipped. This does however make the shadow look strange.

Flip Skin

Now if you look at most fan art of Tees and even art that is posted of tees on the main website they have two arms.  I suggest taking current arm from the skin and adding it to the top of the body.  When the tee moves then the arm will swing back and forth like a pendulum. Something else that you could do to make this look even better would be to put the gun above the body when the Tee is looking left.

Tee with left hand

Bellow is what each gun would look like with this system.
When looking right from top to bottom the Tee would stack: Right Leg, Right Hand, Gun, Eyes, Body, Left Hand, Left Leg
When looking left from top to bottom the Tee would stack: Left Leg, Left Hand, Eyes, Body, Gun, Right Hand, Right Leg

I think that my guns in this example are a bit big compared to what is in the game it self.  Keep in mind that the guns may be smaller when you actually play the game there for being less intrusive to the Tees face. Also I think maybe the eyes can be moved just slightly so that they are always seen.

Pistol

Shotgun

Thumper

Beam Rifle

Hook

Here is a video on how the feet could be modified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdWekOWaWkQ

I know that this does not look the best (I do not have any good open source animation software so I used GIMP) but here is an animation for when a Tee is just standing around not moving.

Standing animation

Flags should also be placed in the Tees off hand.

TeesHoldingNewFlags

________________________________________________________________________________
License: Creative Commons License - Attribution - Commercial use - Share Alike (CC BY 4.0)
TL;DR

CAN:                             CANNOT:            MUST:
Commercial Use          Sublicense         Give Credit
Distribute                                                  Include Copyright
Modify                                                       State Changes
Rename

Note: I don't care too much about giving me credit or that you state changes as much as this copy right must stay with what ever is copied or modified.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

Re: Revamp Tee's

Thanks for the suggestion, it's great to see that someone cares for the graphics.

Just some random thoughts about this: I like the idea of swapping the feet when moving to the right. I don't know whether it's good that there's quite a difference where the weapon is located between a left-facing and right-facing tee.

I like this suggestions. As heinrich already pointed out the fact that the weapons are in front of the tees when turned right is definitely a huge difference to what it is like now.
As this will change the feel of the game significantly (even more so combined with the other stuff), I would really like trying this changes out in a trunk version, if it gets considered by the devs. smile

Loving TW since 2010 smile

I think that my guns in this example are a bit big compared to what is in the game it self.  Keep in mind that the guns may be smaller when you actually play the game there for being less intrusive to the Tees face. Also I think maybe the eyes can be moved just slightly so that they are always seen.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

5 (edited by Oblique. 2015-05-05 14:38:48)

I really like this!
Anybody who has tried the dragon skin knows how weird it looks when we turn left (political joke unintentional).

A is for Apple.

Nice

Haha^^ i really like the position for grenade jump^^

cute...

#yemDX is a known troll

What @Pikotee?

Idea really cool weapons and hook more skin can change position and not be fixed in one direction is incredible. Very Good.

A similar suggestion was made about a year ago. Plus please use the suggestions thread.

11 (edited by android272 2015-05-09 06:11:47)

Yah that was me.  There was no conversation over it so I decided to repost it here.

Thought so, i had the feeling to have seen those pictures before wink
Just for the record: Here the link to his previous suggestion: https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtop … 55#p108855

Slayer *gV* wrote:

A similar suggestion was made about a year ago. Plus please use the suggestions thread.

Oh come on, this is a big and thought-out suggestion. smile

Yeah I think it's better for these big, detailed suggestions to get their own thread.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

15 (edited by Kirbs 2015-05-09 18:22:38)

Hm, well, the way I think you are meaning it, it would look quite dumb when you spin the cursor around in circles to hit something, as it wouldn't be as static. (I think ^^) That is, unless they had different animations for walking, running, and extremely fast running(levitating?).
Still, the gun would look odd and very distractive and complicated when you aim. As most players tend to aim quickly, (I'm talking about the competitive players such as the ones that you see organizing their ctf matches.)

I think that if this was simplified a bit, it would be a very nice thing to have; but what would the feet look like when the tee jumps? It'd have to be like, bouncy or something smile

Otherwise, it would look ugly and unpolished, unlike it is now IMO.

no

The thing about the feet looks like a good idea.
Don't like the weapon in front of the tee - feels odd - and covers the tee.

Remember the 80s - good times smile

A problem is also when you use the hook while holding a big weapon, the tee cannot hold the big weapon with two arms anymore if facing right, like it does in your pictures. It would look very odd if the tee holds the weapon in front of his body but only with one hand.
I don't know how this could be solved...

Loving TW since 2010 smile

18 (edited by android272 2015-05-11 08:23:49)

Kirby wrote:

]Hm, well, the way I think you are meaning it, it would look quite dumb when you spin the cursor around in circles to hit something, as it wouldn't be as static. (I think ^^) That is, unless they had different animations for walking, running, and extremely fast running(levitating?).

what do you mean? what would be hit and what is static?

Kirby wrote:

]Still, the gun would look odd and very distractive and complicated when you aim. As most players tend to aim quickly, (I'm talking about the competitive players such as the ones that you see organizing their ctf matches.)

This may be but Im sure that most players don't look at their Tees but what they are aming at.

Kirby wrote:

I think that if this was simplified a bit, it would be a very nice thing to have; but what would the feet look like when the tee jumps? It'd have to be like, bouncy or something smile

I like the idea of this I will add it to the top.

Oy wrote:

]The thing about the feet looks like a good idea.
Don't like the weapon in front of the tee - feels odd - and covers the tee.

TeeWorlds looks odd now with the gun always being in the background no matter what direction the Tee is looking.

Jonas the Roman wrote:

A problem is also when you use the hook while holding a big weapon, the tee cannot hold the big weapon with two arms anymore if facing right, like it does in your pictures. It would look very odd if the tee holds the weapon in front of his body but only with one hand.
I don't know how this could be solved...

Deadpool

What was that?

I know that the new skin system is already complete or at least very close to being complete but I wanted to give my input on the new eyes.  It is an excellent system if everyone uses the stranded eyes but not everyone does.  I have recently created my own skin of a character from my comic book I wrote in middle and high school.  This character just happens to look like Tees even though I did not know about TeeWorlds before hand.  Well my character does not have the standard black eyes like most tees do but are a bit more anime style.

Here are what my characters eyes look like.
https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/5912527/9570891/21edb75e-4f63-11e5-81db-245a31267680.png
Here is what I propose the new eyes look like.

https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/5912527/9570892/234502e2-4f63-11e5-8f6c-6d5f333d1b10.png

So just like the body has the bold outline, body, shadow and thin outline these eyes would have the bold outline, the eye color(what would be changed if the player wants to change the color of their characters eyes, and decorations on top of the eye.  for my eyes I have little bubbles as if light was shining in the tees eyes like in an anime.

oh and the sixth set of eyes are for when Tees blink. I think they should blink ever few seconds regardless of whether they are getting shot, or someone gets the katana.