Topic: A Dream

Look what I found.

http://i.solidfiles.net/f9594cb058.png

So what are the reasons this won't ever happen? Just one more time for me, pretty please. smile

burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Re: A Dream

Because Teeworlds isn't Singleplayer, doesn't support cross-over platforming, is already released (not SoonTM), it's not published by "all of us smile", the GitHub developer is "Teeworlds" and not matricks, it's not 102 point out of 100 and the game banner would never be that ugly (I hope so at least)

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

Money and terms.

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Money and terms.

So I did some research and turns out there are indeed both open-source and free to play games on Steam, from which Valve benefits in no way other than a bigger selection of games in their library - so Teeworlds could indeed possibly fit in.

The way it would work would be via the Greenlight system. After paying a one-time fee of 90€ (it's actually a donation to a charity) one could submit the game to Greenlight.
So - theoretically speaking - if the community would somehow pay this fee, would the developers give their OK to submit the game?
Here is an excerpt from the submission page of Greenlight:

Before you post your game to Steam Greenlight, you must agree to the following:
You own the rights to sell the game you are posting, or you have specific authorization to represent the developer
You agree to the terms and conditions of the Steam Subscriber Agreement

By the way: One can still have non-steam download links for their games on their own website. The steam release would just be an additional way of downloading (with a tremendously bigger reach, that is) the game.

Just think about it: publishing the game on Steam with more than 6 million users a day, all of which are possibly inclined to download teeworlds, it would be a massive boost to not only the player base, but probably to the development team, too. I don't know why, but since teeworlds was the first game I really committed a lot of time to, I want to see it succeed even more than it already has.

Did you read this?

https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtop … 42#p105942

Teeworlds don't need Steam.... Steam need Teeworlds!   muahahahahahahaha  tongue

SteamWorks integration is optional:

Valve wrote:

Are Steamworks features required for distribution on Steam?
Many of our Steamworks features are popular with customers – like Steam Cloud support and Achievements. While we recommend that you include them in your games, they are not required. (source)

Also:

Valve wrote:

8. Do you require exclusivity for titles you sell on Steam?
We think you should get your game in front of as many people as you can, therefore we do not require exclusivity on titles. (source)

So the main download from this website can still be up.

So I don't want this to turn into a neverending argument, I'm actually really interested in achieving this. I just don't feel like there really is anything stopping this and it seems logical as the next big step teeworlds could take, seeing as it pretty much 'feels' like a finished game.

Here is an example of a free to play game on Steam: Super Crate Box. It's an indie game, and while it's not open source, it does show that publishing your game on Steam free of charge is a thing.

Also the three FOSS games mentioned in the thread you linked have since been greenlit and

Valve wrote:

Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

One more example for good measure: Evolution RTS. It is a free to play game with open source on Steam just like teeworlds could become.

I honestly don't see how any of this would "turn teeworlds into a commercial product", when all a Steam release does is actually further distribute teeworlds for more people to play and have fun, further increasing the accessibility of teeworlds (which, many would agree, is certainly lacking; when the main download link is nothing more than the compressed game folder the user has to manually extract; I know it's easy for everyone of us, but, believe it or not, some people would enjoy the easiness of the one-click installation process of Steam more).

I'm not trying to come across as mean, it's just hard for me to understand how one can refuse to take this game to the next level, when it is surely a labor of love for the developers, who all worked on it in their free time.

greetings,
wappsify

This is like the 10th thread on "what about having Teeworlds on Steam".
The answer is no, we know it's possible, it's been debated so much and the devs have had the finals word on it long ago.
You are not bringing any new argument to the table, even though the thread is well written.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Teeworlds Licence File wrote:

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,
including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it
freely, subject to the following restrictions:

I'm gonna publish Teeworlds on Steam myself someday for 1€/copy.

- Günther Branlutte

Still, keep in mind that:

Teeworlds License File wrote:

The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not
  claim that you wrote the original software.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

No problem with that.

- Günther Branlutte

go HeroiAmarelo go!

I will be banned if I troll again ...

Dune wrote:

You are not bringing any new argument to the table, even though the thread is well written.

Actually he does, as SteamWorks being totally optional, teeworlds wouldn't have to become partially closed-source.
Another point is, it seems like there has been several open-source poject greenlit so far.

The only thing left causing trouble imho is this 'digital paperwork' (not sure what this exactly is supposed to be)

Steam FAQ wrote:

What happens after my game gets Greenlit?

Once your game is Greenlit, you will receive an e-mail at the address associated with the account that posted your submission. This e-mail will notify you of your product's Greenlighting and will invite you to begin filling out the digital paperwork. You can take as much time as you need to complete the paperwork and/or to work on your product before releasing. You can learn more about the digital paperwork and about launching on Steam here.

(Actually I don't even use steam, so uhm..)

BeaR wrote:
Dune wrote:

Actually he does, as SteamWorks being totally optional, teeworlds wouldn't have to become partially closed-source.
Another point is, it seems like there has been several open-source poject greenlit so far.

These are not new arguments, we already knew that afaik.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

So I read through matricks' post once more and I get the feeling you misunderstand this. It is very much possible and even encouraged by Steam to submit Teeworlds to Steam in the very state it is in right now, without changing a single thing. See this for example:

Valve wrote:

I have a free game – can I still submit it to Steam Greenlight?
Yes, you can submit your free game to Steam Greenlight.

Valve wrote:

Do I need to form a company, or can I post as an individual?
You do not need to form a company, but many developers have found it to be beneficial. (source)

I mean, as long as the developers agree to do this, me or any other more respectable community person can probably pull this through, without much or any hassle for the ones that do not wish to spend their time on this.

I can't help but get the feeling, there i some kind of profound animosity against Steam as the big evil corporate guy, when really Valve is pretty much the opposite of that, giving the community the possibility to decide what games they want on their platform. So what are the reasons for that aversion against a Greenlight submission? I can't really see a single one, and I would loooove to see Teeworlds on Steam in the future. smile

The current state of thing is: yes, we know it's possible, but we don't want to.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

The current state of thing is: yes, we know it's possible, but we don't want to.

Well, ok then, let us know if you change your mind.

18 (edited by HeroiAmarelo 2014-07-19 20:07:11)

Dune wrote:

http://s9.postimg.org/q41pmfohb/SWAGDUNE.jpg

edit: congratz Dune. You're now on my blog cover.

- Günther Branlutte

19 (edited by Deepfinder 2014-07-19 20:30:26)

Dune is too cool for steam.

I will be banned if I troll again ...

20 (edited by baus 2014-08-21 21:50:59)

I want to comment this topic briefly.

To be honest I neither have the time nor motivation to deal with this problem in detail. However, from my point of it is clear that one should do everything possible to advertise Teeworlds considering the negative development this game has gone through during the approximately last 2 years. About 3 years ago I used to play TW, especially Instagib, on a regular basis. I stopped doing that out of several reasons. But whenever I occasionally started the client again to play a bit there were less and less players online I could play with. TW is experiencing an immense downfall – at least that’s my impression and apparently many other players I had the chance to talk to think the same way.

Because of this I firmly have to pledge for more advertisement for this extremely great game. I mean, it’s a vicious circle. By now I already stopped playing TW basically completely since there simply are not enough players to play instagib when I feel like it, let alone enough players to play other maps than ctf4-instagib. (So i again reduce my playing time which will others lead to shortening their time, usw.)
This means: I don’t exactly know why the TW-authorities seem to have a problem with publishing some sort of TW-version on Steam but I’m quite certain that the advertisement momentarily is more important than (nearly) everything else. What’s a game without players? Worthless. No Fun. Pointless.

I won’t be the one to take any actual actions. But I want to give some food for thought because I think this game has so much more potential which was btw. proven by TW’s past when the game still had much more players. It simply would be a shame if this game was about to be marginalized till no one plays it anymore, knows it anymore.

All in all  I pledge: Everyone who’s investing time/energy into this game anyway should focus on ways of advertising which probably includes the presence  of TW on networks like Steam.

Best regards, baus

I second that.

A.k.a.'s: captalan, JellyBaby, The Gentleman
Clan: PiRaTe, PiRaTeJr. Recruiting in both.
Client: DDNet

So if wappsify neutralized most of the arguments against putting teeworlds on steam, what arguments are left against doing so aside from the devs don't want to?

Also if teeworlds is open source, is there anything stopping a random forum goer from submitting the game to be greenlit in its current state?