Re: [proposal] Steam for all platforms => Teeworlds on Steam?

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

Teeworlds is not that hard to work with.
It would be nice to have some updates once in a while...

So do it if you're so sure about that, instead of complaining against people who do things on their free time. It's not like God blessed some of us at birth to be able to contribute and some not. We're not destined to do this.

Do you realize how ridiculous and selfish your complaint is?

Not Luck, Just Magic.

27 (edited by Zodiac 2013-04-28 19:44:00)

Dune wrote:

Never said I or anyone had problems with the fees, was just answering yemDX.

As far as development speed is concerned, who are you to say that? Blizzard employees are paid for doing that, Teeworlds developers have no engagement. Unless you're investing something into Teeworlds development, I don't really think you can require the devs to spend more time on it.

Wasn't saying that you had an issue with the fees, was just giving a solution to the problem as I doubt Teeworlds gets that much donations atm.

I do feel that more contribution needs to be made towards Teeworlds development. But I don't blame the developers at all as they have done an excellent job so far, and I can completely understand if they are stressed for time. However the fact that so little development has happened in the last two years shows that we do need more people involved in Teeworlds and Steam could be the solution to that.

Dune wrote:
HeroiAmarelo wrote:

Teeworlds is not that hard to work with.
It would be nice to have some updates once in a while...

So do it if you're so sure about that, instead of complaining against people who do things on their free time. It's not like God blessed some of us at birth to be able to contribute and some not. We're not destined to do this.

Completely agree with you here. "Teeworlds is not that hard with" is a incredibly ignorant statement, and inconsiderate to the people who have put in immense time and effort into teeworlds.

Deafinitely yes. More players - more fun. 100$ is not much in such a big community... I will check the ToS of Greenlight, giving TF2 as example is quite inappropiate, becouse TF2 is game made by valve so they can license it however they wish, teeworlds is not. Also, modding source engine games is just writing lua files - not changing the actual code.

Anyway, I'd love to see no more fakes, easier bans, and so on... You have my YES (And my axe)!

C++/Java my life ^^
If you like dislike button click it
NOW!

I think devs gave a final no answer on this.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

30 (edited by yemDX 2013-04-29 03:28:56)

Dune wrote:
Fifi wrote:

100$ Steam Greenlight Submission Fee.

But that won't stop people from playing it. Players don't have to pay that. Only the person submitting it.

Dune wrote:

Actually, it's not. Just as we are not entitled to updates, developers are not entitled to people being content with no updates. I am sorry that some developers don't have time to write a single line of code within months for this game. There's been only 15 commits for Teeworlds in this year. That's horseshit and you're delusional and making excuses if you think that's okay in any situation, especially since the game is open-source and can be edited by anyone. Please stop being entitled, developers who think like Dune does, because while we may be entitled, so are you all.

EDIT: This is not trolling. I've never trolled, but after reading this post, I can see why you may think this post is, but it is not.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

yemDX wrote:

Actually, it's not. Just as we are not entitled to updates, developers are not entitled to people being content with no updates. I am sorry that some developers don't have time to write a single line of code within months for this game.

It's not a matter of not having time to. I could write some right now, I have 1 hour free right now. I just don't feel like doing it, I'm not motivated to.

You have free time too. Why don't you learn programming in the meanwhile? Because you don't want to.

Summary of the discussions: devs work for you for free, but they're assholes because they don't work as much as they could. Like why are they even sleeping. Come on.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

These are my personal opinions and thoughts about the subject. Right off the bat I'm against Teeworlds on Steam.

The $100 is a non-issue but looking on it from the Valve perspective, there is no business reason for them why they would put Teeworlds on steam without charging money for it. Teeworlds shouldn't be anywhere near money, DRM and closed-source.

I have don't know how the licensing and NDAs around SteamWorks looks like nowadays so I'm gonna guess here from how these stuff usually works. You are most probably not allowed to redistribute any source that contains SteamWorks stuff. This would turn Teeworlds into a partially open-source game at best, where the real open-source version is not on par with the closed one. This is bad.

Taking Teeworlds to Steam is turning Teeworlds into a commercial product. Teeworlds is, and should remain an open and free software.

Also, does anyone know of a F/OSS game that has been put onto steam?

matricks wrote:

These are my personal opinions and thoughts about the subject. Right off the bat I'm against Teeworlds on Steam.

The $100 is a non-issue but looking on it from the Valve perspective, there is no business reason for them why they would put Teeworlds on steam without charging money for it. Teeworlds shouldn't be anywhere near money, DRM and closed-source.

I have don't know how the licensing and NDAs around SteamWorks looks like nowadays so I'm gonna guess here from how these stuff usually works. You are most probably not allowed to redistribute any source that contains SteamWorks stuff. This would turn Teeworlds into a partially open-source game at best, where the real open-source version is not on par with the closed one. This is bad.

Taking Teeworlds to Steam is turning Teeworlds into a commercial product. Teeworlds is, and should remain an open and free software.

Also, does anyone know of a F/OSS game that has been put onto steam?

Don't know of any that is on currently, but there are a couple on greenlight.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … d=93971156
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … d=93422342
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =125965803

Matricks, I am right with you on that part almost all of the way.

no

GreenlightFAQ wrote:

What happens after my game gets Greenlit?

Once your game is Greenlit, we will reach out to you to setup an NDA, get a build of your game and start talking through the process of launching your game on Steam. We will also get you access to the Steamworks SDK so you can look at the features and decide if you want to use them in your title.

There you go, an NDA.

Well, there are almost no difference between 0.6.1 and 0.6.2
Do you, developers, need 2 years to change 3 features?

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

yeah like development is just about modifying/adding features..

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

Well, there are almost no difference between 0.6.1 and 0.6.2
Do you, developers, need 2 years to change 3 features?

Can you stop being a jerk?
The only thing developers have been working on is 0.7, they would do a little 0.6.2 release because of some critical issues. That's it.

Now go do something for Teeworlds instead of shouting to other people to do it.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

39 (edited by Ioannisjanni 2013-05-01 13:19:11)

You could raise money for the fee or even just for the developers by maybe actually trying to sell copy's of the game wich include a teeworlds sticker or something ( a t-shirt , lol i dunno) and in the 0.7 update ( or any later update) you could see a £ or € or a $ sign in the tab list wich would say who bought the game and supported the teeworlds developers.If you'd like to do something like that , try doing it now !

Teeworlds!!!!

The fee is not an issue.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

The only reason to put Teeworlds on Steam is to get advertising, which is kinda silly. You can have the Steam overlay on Teeworlds anyway.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

I was browsing the chrome app store and thought to myself "Teeworlds should be here." I have no idea the feasibility of this with googles native client, just thought I would share the idea. I would enjoy teeworlds on steam and/or chrome.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =130194014 ?

Is this the official submission or is this a shameless copy?

[GMD]Error wrote:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =130194014 ?

Is this the official submission or is this a shameless copy?

The latter one.

Why do people keep on putting it on there without even having officially anything to do with Teeworlds? If you want to put it on Steam make a fork and do it. Be sure to change the name though.

46 (edited by speedoXunil 2013-05-29 20:08:01)

if this happens I am gonna learn programming and help those developers I don’t care what it takes I am gonna do it.

an achievements system would be great to have on steam

oh and maybe some guys would help in development specially that the game will get more players, of course.

BeaR wrote:

What about the licensing? I dont know much about greenlight but I dont think teeworlds will be able to be open source after it got accepted, allowing mods and clients floating around..

Another disadvantage: 100 $ fee \o/

why would the licensing change? there is no need to change the licensing, steam do not care, they will have more linux users attention and will loose nothing if the game is open source.

speedoXunil wrote:

there is no need to change the licensing, steam [...] will loose nothing if the game is open source.

Not sure about that.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

What about Desura instead of Steam?
Of course it's not as huge as Steam but still a quite big community.

Also no need to change the licensing there (take a look under Action games group):
http://www.desura.com/groups/linux-game … urce-games

Sonix wrote:

What about Desura instead of Steam?
Of course it's not as huge as Steam but still a quite big community.

Also no need to change the licensing there (take a look under Action games group):
http://www.desura.com/groups/linux-game … urce-games

Another vote for Desura. Bitfighter got a fresh injection of players from there and it's also open source.

50 (edited by Zodiac 2013-06-25 15:55:55)

I think it sounds like an excellent idea. It also looks to be extremely simple to do.