1 (edited by Fifi 2015-06-07 19:53:11)

Topic: [proposal] Steam for all platforms => Teeworlds on Steam?

Before getting mad about this topic, please read this short information:
I know that such topic was discussed earlier, but now Steam is avaiable for all three platforms (Linux, Windows and Mac), which really changes situation.

2015 EDIT: After some time I began to think that this decision should be based on arguments/counterarguments analysis instead of votes, because people may sometimes vote without thinking, so I removed the sentence about the importance of community decisions. I also cleaned up this message a bit, because it was extremly biased.

If you are for or against it - please, post information why. Please don't vote if you haven't read all the advantages and disadvantages - you can never be sure if they wouldn't convince you to change your mind.

If you are asking about how to connect Steam ID and player nickname, I got a very simple solution, which won't break current freedom of choice, but will still work perfectly with Steam:
- Each player launching Teeworlds from Steam will gain a Steam ID on the playerlist and will be marked as a Steam player with some sort of icon.
- Each player will choose nickname the same way as we do now, the only difference will be that the Steam players will be avaiable for lookup from the menu (you will be able to click on the player name and see his Steam profile).
- Nicknames won't be defined by Steam account in any way. You will be able to choose any nickname, only the Steam profile field on player lists and in search box will be permanent (I mean that looking up the player profile will be driven by his Steam ID, not his nickname, so duplicate nicknames won't be a problem).

Advantages and disadvantages, gathered:
Advantages:
+ Easier finding and keeping in touch with other players (various countries uses various messaging programs - this makes keeping Teeworlds clans and friendships alive hard, Steam is able to solve this problem).
+ Game and its developers will became well-known, vanilla game modes will gain a new life.
+ It's not much coding (basically just the player integration), but it will greatly increase social fun and make game highly more popular.
Neutral:
# Connection with Steam profile will partially solve the problem of fake nicknames (on the other hand - it will also require Steam to be turned on, which is not necessarily a good thing).
Disadvantages:
- 100$ Steam Greenlight Submission Fee.
- OpenSource license may be problematic to keep. Also I'm not sure if NDA is avoidable - we shouldn't agree to such a thing.
- Huge influx of new players might be problematic (more fakers, botters, blockers and bad-behaving tees).

So... what do you think about it, Players and Devs? tongue

Re: [proposal] Steam for all platforms => Teeworlds on Steam?

This will also raise the number of players in Teeworlds and could revive the vanilla section imo.

visit our clan!
=Eagle=

Fifi wrote:

I know that such topic was discussed earlier, but now Steam is avaiable for all three platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac), which changes situation a bit.

Making Teeworlds avaiable via Greenlight will be very profitable for community (for example, now it's sometimes very hard to keep in touch with all friends or clan members - Steam will solve this problem easily).
It's not much coding (just players integration), but it will greatly increase social fun.

What do you think about it devs? tongue

Not to mention that because it is a linux game, it will get that much more attention. (There are limited linux games on Steam). But from what I hear, the developers are seriously against it.

Yep, I'm just trying to point out serious arguments, because this really is an opportunity.
I'll gather all of them in the first post.

I think it would be really nice if dev's would take players opinion to concern. The power of OpenSource is the result of this, so why don't think about something twice? wink

What about the licensing? I dont know much about greenlight but I dont think teeworlds will be able to be open source after it got accepted, allowing mods and clients floating around..

Another disadvantage: 100 $ fee \o/

6 (edited by Fifi 2013-03-31 19:55:13)

100$ fee goes to charity, and some player already did it (I have no idea who, because I'm not really into Teeworlds forum, but I've found one Teeworlds community at Greenlight o.O). Also, I think it's not much compared to hosting cost of the whole project.
About the license - other games (like Faster Than Light) even got their own shops (on their websites, despite of fact that they are avaiable via Steam), so I don't think that the license will be so hard to keep unchanged.
Also, Teeworlds is a game with huge community (look at http://www.teeworlds-stats.info/general) and I don't think that Valve won't be interested in gathering so many new possible clients for a little customization of the agreement.

I've just took a quick glance on Greenlight terms and it seems that the developer willing to use any Steam features (like displaying the profile name, locating other players, chat, etc.) has to sign a Non-disclosure agreement before he is granted access to the Steamworks SDK. This in essence prevents any modded clients or servers to interact with Steam in any way.

This is how I understand that, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hmm, if this really looks like this, that would kill the whole idea. D:
Hm, anyway, the registred player ID would be nice (even not on Steam, but ingame, alongside with normal nickname).

eeeee wrote:

I've just took a quick glance on Greenlight terms and it seems that the developer willing to use any Steam features (like displaying the profile name, locating other players, chat, etc.) has to sign a Non-disclosure agreement before he is granted access to the Steamworks SDK. This in essence prevents any modded clients or servers to interact with Steam in any way.

This is how I understand that, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sounds kinda weird, there's mods for TF2 and CS:S and Garry's Mod and such.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Man, teeworlds is a free game
the owner dont have $100 submit

I'm pretty sure TW has  a reserve from donations. I would say I think TW needs a fresh crop of players.

Broken wrote:

I would say I think TW needs a fresh crop of players.

I think the exact contrary.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

13 (edited by Ioannisjanni 2013-04-27 13:27:12)

Dune wrote:
Broken wrote:

I would say I think TW needs a fresh crop of players.

I think the exact contrary.

Thats the most negative thing you could say!Why does teeworlds have to be a game that ONLY people that have played it for years may play ?You are very wise dune , but this just doesn't make any sence at ALL

About it becoming a steam game; this would make it alot easyer to install , and to update to newer versions.

fifi wrote:

- Nicknames won't be defined by Steam account in any way. You will be able to choose any nickname, only the Steam profile field on player lists and in search box will be permanent (I mean that looking up player profile will be driven by his Steam ID, not his nickname, so duplicate nicknames won't be a problem).

The idea of being recognized as the player you are , and not a fake is awesome. Ive read (and discussed) about how you could be recognized , and your idea could solve it all.

Teeworlds!!!!

Mr.Pinky wrote:

Thats the most negative thing you could say!Why does teeworlds have to be a game that ONLY people that have played it for years may play?

Didn't mean that at all.
I think trying to advertise and grab more people to Teeworlds isn't going to fix any of Teeworlds problems. Gotta focus on the other issues first if you wanna make Teeworlds a better place. My opinion.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

in the usa getting a 2v2 ctf  game is very hard. the last serious 4v4  was in november...

Broken wrote:

in the usa getting a 2v2 ctf  game is very hard. the last serious 4v4  was in november...

That's because there are, literally, only two good USA players, me and Zgokee.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

No.. Zgokee.. don't make us have to tell you..  there are many good players in US besides you! Take Broken as an example.

Anyway! What I was going to say, was that this would be a bad and good idea, the only reason I wouldn't support
Teeworlds on steam would be the fee. That would stop people from playing it through steam. Another thing, I'm finding players every time I jump on a player that do something and then turn around and say: "Sorry, I'm new.."

no

Lord Kirby [HDP] wrote:

Teeworlds on steam would be the fee. That would stop people from playing it through steam.

Fee? What? There's no fee required to sign up for Steam or use Steam features.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Fifi wrote:

100$ Steam Greenlight Submission Fee.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Cmon stop it, the problem of Teeworlds is that even Blizzard work faster. Nobody is going to play the game where you get a patch once in two years.

Variecs wrote:

Cmon stop it, the problem of Teeworlds is that even Blizzard work faster. Nobody is going to play the game where you get a patch once in two years.

People still play Tetris. Haven't heard of a patch for a while.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:
Fifi wrote:

100$ Steam Greenlight Submission Fee.

Sure it may cost $100 to submit it, but if you started a donation, towards that specifically, I am sure you will be able to raise the funds. I wouldn't mind donating $20 for that cause.

Variecs wrote:

Which is why I am actually keen for this steam thing. I feel like Teeworlds needs to be revived in some way, else it will become stale and people will start to lose interest. I am a bit concerned about the whole client thing though, that would need to be looked into further.

On a side note: It kind of blows my mind that Dune doesn't want Teeworlds to become more popular. Normally people volunteering for games are passionate about it and care for its future.

Never said I or anyone had problems with the fees, was just answering yemDX.

As far as development speed is concerned, who are you to say that? Blizzard employees are paid for doing that, Teeworlds developers have no engagement. Unless you're investing something into Teeworlds development, I don't really think you can require the devs to spend more time on it.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

Blizzard employees are paid for doing that, Teeworlds developers have no engagement.

Blizzard employees work with very complex lines of code, Teeworlds is not that hard to work with.
It would be nice to have some updates once in a while... Not big changes in every 3 years but small ones in every 3 months.

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

25 (edited by RoboT.ee 2013-04-28 18:12:43)

Assuming Teeworld's playerbase is not growing (therefore eventually decreasing) and will not be in oncoming updates , I think they're going to have to do this eventually if they want to grow teeworlds as I don't see another way to get more players except for releasing 1.0. Doing it right now probably isn't the right idea because the game is still developing and changing in random directions (like adding new powerups or changing the skin system) and we still have some incomplete ideas/ features that need to be finished (like the editor and the demo viewer).

Hopefully they do this before teeworlds is half dead, the majority of teeworlds players left are the hardcore bunch (the way that most games with higher learning curve die) and it becomes impossible for a new player to join without getting demolished. <----- worst case scenario (an influx of noobs would mean they could play with each other smile)