Topic: How to create a MOD

Hello, I really want to create a MOD. But I don't know how. I know how to create a server, I can run it, and everything else. People say to use C++, but I don't know what/how to use C++. If anyone can give an explanation or anything to help me, thank you. Also, is there any other way to make a MOD? Thank you SOO much!!! smile))

Re: How to create a MOD

C++ is a programmer language.
As you don't know what C++ is, i doubt you have any programming skill and you can drop your idea to code your own mod.

3 (edited by Dune 2012-06-14 14:52:49)

Teeworlds do not use any user-friendly software for mods (unless some other games), so unless you've been casually programming in your spare time (which you apparently haven't), there is very few you can do.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

nt10899 wrote:

Hello, I really want to create a MOD. But I don't know how. I know how to create a server, I can run it, and everything else. People say to use C++, but I don't know what/how to use C++. If anyone can give an explanation or anything to help me, thank you. Also, is there any other way to make a MOD? Thank you SOO much!!! smile))

You should grab some C++ tutorial/book and learn basics, then, depending on how much complicated that mod you plan to be , you should either learn more or try to make it.

I am trying to learn right now, but I don't know what website to go to! There's a Language Tutorial, Progamming, and many more! Can you give me to website for the tutorial? THanks!

nt10899 wrote:

I am trying to learn right now, but I don't know what website to go to! There's a Language Tutorial, Progamming, and many more! Can you give me to website for the tutorial? THanks!

You cannot expect to be able to realize what you want after one month of practicing. Coding take a long time to learn, don't rush in it because you think you'll be done in one week.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

nt10899 wrote:

Can you give me to website for the tutorial? THanks!

Read and try up to polymorphism:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/introduction/

You would need a compiler to try it out. It's not my favourite but I'm pretty sure it was one of few that give you fast a result and leave the console open - which is nice if you are new and figure out a few hello worlds: http://www.codeblocks.org/

You could even try with some VC-Express, Eclipse, QTCreator - or VIM and mingw (and you would need VC or mingw for compiling TW afterwards anyway) but it's often necessary to play a lot around before you get your first hello world. On GNU/Linux this is way easier in my opinion wink

Greetings,
Mo(2)

I never understood what the C + +.
Finally, I know what it is, but I never APRIS how to use it.
I too would like to know how to create a mod using the C + +. smile

Teeworlds Clan here

So, I would have to read the whole tutorial? Or is there just a section for learning how to mod. Also, in case you guys didn't know, i'm trying to make a teeworlds mod.

10 (edited by Dune 2012-07-17 20:49:50)

nt10899 wrote:

So, I would have to read the whole tutorial? Or is there just a section for learning how to mod.

You have to read, understand, practice, practice and practice the whole stuff, sorry. Teeworlds has no friendly "mod editing" tool.

nt10899 wrote:

Also, in case you guys didn't know, i'm trying to make a teeworlds mod.

I don't know how, but somehow, I guessed it.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

No,YOU do not yet understand what programming and modifying is really about. Teeworlds is a program (game) like any other. Like Dune said it does not go with a "Magic TW Mod Creator" tool. You have to learn programming (C and C++ programming languages if you want to make mods for tw) and only then make a mod.

So here is my tutorial:

1. Learn what are programs and what is programming. Understand it.

2. Learn C and C++

3. Only now write a modification for that which is teeworlds.

Once in a century...

Thanks!!! I really needed that. I will go and learn C and C++! But I have another question. How long do you think it will take to learn it? And then after that make a mod. I know it's a long time, but I just wanted to know if it would take me like a couple of months or a year. But, anyways, Thanks!!!

nt10899 wrote:

I just wanted to know if it would take me like a couple of months or a year. But, anyways, Thanks!!!

Depends on what is your experience with computers - if you've ever coded in any other language f.e -, of your age - yes it matters, of the quality of the tutorials you will find, and of your motivation and time you'll spend in it.
Could take between a couple of months to half a year I would say.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

learath2 said that he could teach someone C++ in 1 week. big_smile

Once in a century...

15 (edited by Dune 2012-07-20 11:41:57)

DARK HUNTER wrote:

learath2 said that he could teach someone C++ in 1 week. :D

Just no. You can also read a whole book in 1 week, that doesn't make you able to do anything. Learning programming is a lot about practicing.
I once teached that, it took me one month - what is still good compared to how long it would take you if you wouldn't have private lessons. One week, I really doubt you would be any close to decent after that.

Not Luck, Just Magic.