Topic: The automapper

A lot is happening in teeworlds development even though you might not notice it; developers are making so called "pull-requests" via github. Those "pull requests" either fix bugs or add new features. Some of these new features have been heavily discussed. One of the very interesting pull requests was merged recently:

Automapper

by LordSkelethom

Have you dreamed about only having to mark out positions of files and then let the editor add graphics? This will become reality with LordSkelethom's automapper in 0.6.1.

Obviously the automapper won't set the tiles randomly, it sets the tiles based on a rule file. If you want to use the automapper with the standard tilesets, that's no problem. LordSkelethom has provided rule files for them all. However, if you want to use custom tilesets, you'd have to create your own rule files.

Here some pictures of ctf1 to explain how it works (in the order: default/grass, desert, jungle, desert):
http://heinrich5991.de/teeworlds/forum/automapper/images/ctf1_default.png   http://heinrich5991.de/teeworlds/forum/automapper/images/ctf1_desert.png

http://heinrich5991.de/teeworlds/forum/automapper/images/ctf1_jungle.png   http://heinrich5991.de/teeworlds/forum/automapper/images/ctf1_winter.png

To access the automapper simply put some tiles into a layer, right-click on the layer and select 'auto map'. A list will show up, containing all rule files, that are available for this tileset.

http://heinrich5991.de/teeworlds/forum/automapper/images/editor.png

Kind regards,
Kottizen and heinrich5991

Re: The automapper

I love it! It's really really cool. It's so much easier now to create good looking maps. I hope people will use and enjoy this feature.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

3 (edited by DARK HUNTER 2011-07-20 13:54:48)

I watched a video explaining the automapper on lord's posterous some time ago. This is one of the best features implemented into tw.

@ Dune: I edited my comment ^
I forgot to say it...

Once in a century...

4 (edited by Dune 2011-07-20 13:47:29)

That's really one great improvement to the editor - the biggest since its creation imo.

Elite Tee wrote:

I watched a video explaining the automapper on lord's posterous. This is one of the best features implemented into tw.

This video is 3 months old and outdated. It was one of the first unfinished version of the feature which is presented here :)

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Great Idea. Now everyone can make make servers with diferent (and autocreated) maps!
Perfect. Gon a be a sucess ^^

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

Thx for that great feature!

7 (edited by AwayD 2011-08-01 15:41:51)

Is there a way to set a mirrored tile in the rule file?

And is it possible to check for a specific tile e.g.

Pos -1 0 Index X

instead of EMPTY and FULL?

AwayD wrote:

Is there a way to set a mirrored tile in the rule file?

And is it possible to check for a specific tile e.g.

Pos -1 0 Index X

instead of EMPTY and FULL?

You can only use EMPTY and FULL, it's the concept of the automapper not basing itself on the already existing graphics.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

code says it works (auto_map.cpp line 93)

if(!str_comp(aValue, "FULL"))
                        Value = CPosRule::FULL;
                    else if(!str_comp_num(aValue, "INDEX", 5))
                    {
                        sscanf(pLine, "Pos %*d %*d INDEX %d", &Value);
                        IndexValue = true;
                    }

but I tried it and it somehow doesnt work.

And the command for flipping tiles is XFLIP and YFLIP e.g.

#blah
Index 10 YFLIP
pos -1 0 EMPTY
pos 0 -1 FULL

Is it possible to Flip it twice like "Index 10 XFLIP YFLIP" (<- this method doesn't work)?

AwayD wrote:

Is it possible to Flip it twice like "Index 10 XFLIP YFLIP" (<- this method doesn't work)?

no

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

It's so... beutiful! it's so perfect and beutiful in every way!

The funny about this signature is that you
don't realize until now that it's a useless signature
but it's too late to stop reading.

Hey, this is a great feature, but there were two things I came across I didn't like...

(this was in mapping a grass map)
1) Auto-mapper changes pre-laid grass sections. Since auto-mapper is uni-formal, I would change certain sections to be more random, but if I auto-mapped again, it maps over it. D:

2) Secondly, it also changes shade areas into grassy land. Is that supposed to happen? yikes

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

Would be cool that we can select a area to automap. Because for maps with mixed tilesets it's completly useless sad

For maps with multiple tilesets you need multiple layers anyway.

But when i automap both layers one always overlaps the other.

BotoX wrote:

But when i automap both layers one always overlaps the other.

Not if you use two different layers for the two distinct parts of the map.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Thats right. But many mappers i know just want to automap little parts of their map. And I want that to so it would be really cool to see it in 0.6 trunk smile

BotoX wrote:

Thats right. But many mappers i know just want to automap little parts of their map. And I want that to so it would be really cool to see it in 0.6 trunk smile

Why don't they split their layers then?

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Yeah why do it easy when you can make it difficult and crappy with splitting up layers?!
A selection for the automapper would help a lot, and that's not only my opinion

There is already an Issue about this on Github with a few other suggestions.

It's not too difficult to split up layers... at least if you've got some kind of concept for the map you're creating. For spontaneous edits it would be useful indeed.

I would be happy if it would be implement in 0.5.3

AH i know, i know... no 0.5.3
But it would be sow great .. hmm

And in 0.3.5! Unbelievable! This would be epic yikes

I am thinking , this is very useful big_smile

25 (edited by siimon 2012-02-18 11:24:01)

just one thing: When making a map, I can change the colors from the tileset in Blue red yellow and A(idk what A is) But when there is a Black part in the tileset I can not change the color(black is no color) so i ask you, PLEASE make "W" too!(White) so you make it white, and than its possible again to recolor a black block. PLEASE DO THIS.
You have my word it will be super-awesome.

mushoku-no