Topic: generic death tiles

Most of you probably know lordskelethom's death tiles from mapping your own map. They are easy to use, teeish and most important they have an incredible small file size wink. I started to rework these death tiles long time ago - keeping in mind to make them official somewhen. And finally yesterday I had a boost of motivation and inspiration which led  to the following result. Crises is working on additional death tiles following this style, but I have not tested them ingame yet.

http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/7034/screenshot2011032123581.png

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Re: generic death tiles

Yay! That's what we waited for.

Simply Awesome! Can't wait to see it in-game! smile

Another epic tileset, good job! smile

What i would like to know: They are the only death tiles introduced with 0.6 or will there be other death tiles too?

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Another epic tileset, good job! smile

What i would like to know: They are the only death tiles introduced with 0.6 or will there be other death tiles too?

http://landil.posterous.com/new-deathtiles They will become official.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Landil wrote:

http://landil.posterous.com/new-deathtiles They will become official.

Great! This way none of players have to download a 257 KB image for a map. And new death tiles are nice too smile

» Albert Einsteein: I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

nice news for mappers.

I like the fact that the official blog is becoming more active.

Although i´d like to read more news about coding / gameplay / map stuff not only graphical development

keep going you are doing well dev team

Of course it would be nice to see other devs blogging, but you cannot force them to do it and it's not everybodys cup of tea.

exalkun wrote:

Although i´d like to read more news about coding / gameplay / map stuff not only graphical development

Ofc it would be nice too, but a blog about coding is much more difficult.
And if you have a slightly idea of programming, you can follow the progress with github.

However, i got another question^^.
With the other death tiles its possible to place the death tiles far away of the "ground". This tileset is looking nice, but im afraid it won't be possible with them, will it?

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Ofc it would be nice too, but a blog about coding is much more difficult.
And if you have a slightly idea of programming, you can follow the progress with github.

okay then cancel the coding part ( although there still could be announcement about major features added like demo recording was , which i count as coding stuff. if there is none i´m cool with it ).

But there are still two huge topics about development: gameplay and mapping stuff

Well there is a huge interaction between those 3 all affect each other so its only logical that there should be news about all of them.

But still as Landil stated correctly none of the dev team could be forced and of course  shouldnt be forced.

I appreciate that Landil is contributing some news about development, and gets some fresh blood in the developer journals after almost 2 years.

11 (edited by ghost 2011-03-22 18:40:14)

Landil wrote:

Of course it would be nice to see other devs blogging, but you cannot force them to do it and it's not everybodys cup of tea.

I already suggested that some time ago in a different thread:

We could have some persons(s) who act as link between the development and the community. You are doing the job very well for your stuff, Landil, but as you said, a lot of the other coders don't seem to be interested in having contact with the community at all. If we have someone, who does something like "PR" for the development team, someone who is on the one hand involved coding and development and does understand what is actually going on in the development, and who is on the other hand also active in the community.

At the moment we have a quite slow development speed and information is given out even slower. I think we need to change that. We have a responsibility to the community.

ghost91 wrote:
Landil wrote:

We could have some persons(s) who act as link between the development and the community. You are doing the job very well for your stuff, Landil, but as you said, a lot of the other coders don't seem to be interested in having contact with the community at all. If we have someone, who does something like "PR" for the development team, someone who is on the one hand involved coding and development and does understand what is actually going on in the development, and who is on the other hand also active in the community.

At the moment we have a quite slow development speed and information is given out even slower. I think we need to change that. We have a responsibility to the community.

I really appreciate your approach and second it. It's pushing development on a more professional level, if we find someone who is able and willing to be heavily involved in PR or community management. There are a lo of possible projects which could be done to increase popularity e.g. starting some link dump marketing campaign, or creating some texts for  game magazines, improving dev-community communication (as you mentioned above) or organizing some official tournaments and contests. If someone has a passion for those stuff, does not get frustrated easily and wants to help, he's welcome.

Simple & Nice = Teeish smile

Do they fit the new unhookable tiles you made for the jungle tileset?
I dont think I have to tell you again that you did an amazing job, thats obvious smile

void ..

Landil wrote:
ghost91 wrote:
Landil wrote:

I really appreciate your approach and second it. It's pushing development on a more professional level, if we find someone who is able and willing to be heavily involved in PR or community management. There are a lo of possible projects which could be done to increase popularity e.g. starting some link dump marketing campaign, or creating some texts for  game magazines, improving dev-community communication (as you mentioned above) or organizing some official tournaments and contests. If someone has a passion for those stuff, does not get frustrated easily and wants to help, he's welcome.

Landil, I am willing to write to gaming magazines and advertise if there are ways of doing that. I can write articles and make designs and logos

-SALAD

DALAS wrote:
Landil wrote:
ghost91 wrote:

Landil, I am willing to write to gaming magazines and advertise if there are ways of doing that. I can write articles and make designs and logos

Great, we need to talk about this seperately. This is the wrong thread for this topic. smile