1 (edited by William Tee Riker 2010-06-02 14:53:08)

Topic: [HELP] Politeness of "pro players"

Hey,

often when I join a game with lots of "pro players" (with fancy clantags), I get kicked after a few seconds without any comment. Even when I come back and ask for a reason, usually I'm just ignored. I could understand it if it was a clan match, but those games I'm refering to were not. There even was a free slot in one of the teams that I could have filled.

Why do people judge players on their clantag or lack thereof? Players should be given a chance to prove themselves or at least be asked to leave before being kicked. This is very unpolite.

Re: [HELP] Politeness of "pro players"

Go the Qi IRC, #Qi on QuakeNet and ask them. I'm sure they'll have a totally not bullcrap answer.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

this cant be prevented. youll find those kind of kids in nearly every game . its sad but a fact

Cap game?

-.iB Jordane

William Tee Riker wrote:

Hey,
"pro players" (with fancy clantags)

I'll had that most good players (I won't use pro players, as this is abusive, cause nobody is eating thanks to Teeworlds yet wink ) don't have fancy names or tags with those shitty special characters.

Still, there are idiot everywhere, that unfortunately can't be prevented...

|ZPote| buffer[]'s posterous

As you won't get any official help currently...

Matricks wrote:

Things you'll never get help with: Settling player disputes ("abuse")

I would assume since some time in the near future there will be an account system in place, you could report stuck up players as being judgmental. But until then, there isn't anything you can do.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

This is called "captain game". Only famous players are allowed to play them. And you would still get kicked off this game  if it's a capgame. No matter if you like it or not. No1 is going to kick you when it's not a captain game. Join, play with pros, increase your skill and become famous. So you will play captain games and won't get kicked.
That's the only way, i'm sorry. Don't blame them, it's a simple way to make a pro game.

Stay wild big_smile

OK, that would explain.
And I guess there is no way to determine if a game is a captain game when you join it at a later time...

You could ask.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Jordane wrote:

Cap game?

http://teewiki.info/wiki/Captain_game

Support Staff - ESL.eu Teeworlds Admin

William Tee Riker wrote:

Why do people judge players on their clantag or lack thereof? Players should be given a chance to prove themselves or at least be asked to leave before being kicked. This is very unpolite.

Commenting about "asking people to leave": This gets old very quickly. In early captain games, we used to explain to people why they have to spec/leave/etc and they would not understand; most people are here to play and wait for the game to start. Giving a reason is a luxury, it happens but it's rare. First thing is to ask in team chat as a spec, and not disturb the public channel. Second option is what you did, asking here.

Now, it has nothing with "fancy tags" or being in a clan, but as Variecs said it's simply about being known enough to be reliable. People playing a captain game are asked to play during the full game and are asked to know a set of common "guidelines" (no chat, respect if there's a game pause requested by a player, etc). And of course be good enough. In the end, it's just a matter of being a part of the high-level ctf community.

Being a part of that community is as easy as playing regularly public CTF2 games when there's no captain game going on, but being "called" in a decent captain game will likely happen after a few months of playing *in the ctf2 community* (the time to get recognition -- experience on other TW maps/gametypes is ignored). For instance, I know you're a regular ctf5 player but that won't get you any point in the ctf2 scene.

Joining a clan is merely fast-tracking the ascension to "ctf" fame: you get recognition faster because your clanmates are likely to call for you if they know how good you are and how much they can trust you, so other people can witness your skill and are more likely to call for you. But captain games themselves are not linked to any clan practice, they were in fact created to have fun public games because with a large disparity in the level of clans it was hard to play balanced and challenging clanwars, and open public games were boring.

There are now many high-level CTF players and few captain games (rarely more than one at the same time). The captains decide who they want based on their knowledge of player skill. A good captain makes his decisions based only on skill and teamplay, not on personal affinities. Sometimes, some captain games are organized without many high-profile players being there: in that case, it's the opportunity of less known players to enter the field. But if the level of the spectators is deemed too low, they will be kicked to make free slots for better players (someone is always trying to join, and if the players are not satisfied with his level, he's kicked: sometimes, good players who are faking get kicked because of this as well, but it's their problem).

Hope it helps.

Yes, that helped very much. Thank you! Maybe you will see me on CTF2 more often then (although I don't like the snow) wink

Magnet wrote:
William Tee Riker wrote:

Commenting about "asking people to leave": This gets old very quickly. In early captain games, we used to explain to people why they have to spec/leave/etc and they would not understand; most people are here to play and wait for the game to start. Giving a reason is a luxury, it happens but it's rare. First thing is to ask in team chat as a spec, and not disturb the public channel. Second option is what you did, asking here.

Now, it has nothing with "fancy tags" or being in a clan, but as Variecs said it's simply about being known enough to be reliable. People playing a captain game are asked to play during the full game and are asked to know a set of common "guidelines" (no chat, respect if there's a game pause requested by a player, etc). And of course be good enough. In the end, it's just a matter of being a part of the high-level ctf community.

Being a part of that community is as easy as playing regularly public CTF2 games when there's no captain game going on, but being "called" in a decent captain game will likely happen after a few months of playing *in the ctf2 community* (the time to get recognition -- experience on other TW maps/gametypes is ignored). For instance, I know you're a regular ctf5 player but that won't get you any point in the ctf2 scene.

Joining a clan is merely fast-tracking the ascension to "ctf" fame: you get recognition faster because your clanmates are likely to call for you if they know how good you are and how much they can trust you, so other people can witness your skill and are more likely to call for you. But captain games themselves are not linked to any clan practice, they were in fact created to have fun public games because with a large disparity in the level of clans it was hard to play balanced and challenging clanwars, and open public games were boring.

There are now many high-level CTF players and few captain games (rarely more than one at the same time). The captains decide who they want based on their knowledge of player skill. A good captain makes his decisions based only on skill and teamplay, not on personal affinities. Sometimes, some captain games are organized without many high-profile players being there: in that case, it's the opportunity of less known players to enter the field. But if the level of the spectators is deemed too low, they will be kicked to make free slots for better players (someone is always trying to join, and if the players are not satisfied with his level, he's kicked: sometimes, good players who are faking get kicked because of this as well, but it's their problem).

Hope it helps.

Why not add a password to the server (a password made publicly available, see HuH Privat Server) to prevent the last section from even occurring? Why host a pro game on a pub server?

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Why waste the time with adding all players in icq/skype/whatever to tell them the new password?

Zeratul wrote:

Why waste the time with adding all players in icq/skype/whatever to tell them the new password?

In fact the password on HuH server is in the servername. I would give it a try.

unlim

Though it does seem like an injustice to kick people without (to them) a reason, there isn't a good solution if people want to keep on plaything this "gametype" for now. Possibly when there is an account system in place, the sever could read your "skill level" if the makers implement one and then based on that, it could let some people in or not. But that idea is based on two if-ys...
One: a skill estemating system, and two: a modification to make a filtering system.
I'm just putting it out there. wink

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

Bee wrote:

Though it does seem like an injustice to kick people without (to them) a reason, there isn't a good solution if people want to keep on plaything this "gametype" for now. Possibly when there is an account system in place, the sever could read your "skill level" if the makers implement one and then based on that, it could let some people in or not. But that idea is based on two if-ys...
One: a skill estemating system, and two: a modification to make a filtering system.
I'm just putting it out there. wink

There is no need for that. Tewworlds follows the KISS principle, and the current scheme works good  Your idea is flawed mostly because if you dont let weaker players play against/with good players they will never have the chance to learn something from better players, which is an important factor for becoming a better player. The way it is now, if you are not a total douchebag, you have the opportunity to play against good players, which is fair enough.

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

torch wrote:

There is no need for that. Tewworlds follows the KISS principle, and the current scheme works good  Your idea is flawed mostly because if you dont let weaker players play against/with good players they will never have the chance to learn something from better players, which is an important factor for becoming a better player. The way it is now, if you are not a total douchebag, you have the opportunity to play against good players, which is fair enough.

You make a valid point, but I was talking about this only applying to caption games. They can get better by playing in other severs and then have a hope of joining one of those games some day. But until they get better, severs running that filter won't let them in when playing caption games.

A few things: I think the vote-kicking in general is not very good. I think it should require a unanimous vote (except for the person being kicked) to kick someone. Sometimes I am playing DM and winning, and a bunch of nubs who want to win all vote to kick me.

Also, as for pro players, I know a bunch of people from Qi and some other good clans, who are extremely self-centred and think that they are the most skilled and amazing players and "deserve better." This is to be expected in any game, unfortunately, but it always annoys me.

I need to figure out something to put here.