Topic: [SUGGESTION] Ideas for the next version

As the Teeworlds development team is always taking an interest into community suggestions this is the place to tell yours. We can’t respond to all of them, but all suggestions will be read and the good ones will certainly become reality at some point in the future. To get our full attention it’s advised to describe why you want a specific feature added to the game, not just by saying “I would like this and this to change” but tell us: what problem do you experience, or why do you really miss this new feature that needs to be added. Why would the change that you’re suggestion be an improvement to the game?

In an attempt to provide some structure for this topic all suggestions will be listed here. This includes the suggestions from the old Teeworlds topic, which will now be closed. Please check this list before making a suggestion and do not suggest ideas already on the list.

As the developers find time to respond to these suggestions the declined ones will be listed in red, while the approved ones will be listed in green. Possible but uncertain future features will be listed as orange. Suggestions that are invalid will be listed as purple. The features already implemented will be listed as blue. Please do not re-suggest declined suggestions.

Structural changes
• Allow for multiple teams (3 way CTF, 4 team TDM, etc.)
Anti-rainbow protection
Anti-aimbot tools / software / measures
Asia-based server
Brute-force protection for RCON login
Clean RCON that only shows relevant data
Compatibility with Mac 10.6.2 PPC (10.6 does not run in PPC)
Damage from falling
Ingame menus that are accessible from the server
In game server creation (Ticket)
• Integration of user created mods
• Integrated software-based anti-flood system, preventing DOS attacks
• Integration with other (higher) programming languages
Manage the game options without restarting the game (more informations needed)
• More official game types (instagib, race) (Ticket)
More tuneable options (too vague, more informations needed)
• Option for OSX players to minimize window / the game
Plug-in system to allow for new game modes without the need of recompiling
Ramps and curves
Release the game on other platforms / consoles / mobile phones
Remote RCON to manage your server from the outside (Example)
• uPnP port forwading
Quad Core support
• Windows 64 bit support

New features
Ability to search new servers while in an existing game
Ability to pass a flag without 'suicide'
Allow a server to have limited administrators with limited powers
Allow custom graphics / s to be downloaded from the server (Ticket)
An ingame pause button
An level and experience system
Auto-teambalance based on skill-level of the teams
Auto-kick after several minutes without movement
Auto endgame screenshot
Automatic rejoin for full servers
Command to skip sudden death
Continued map downloading when the map switches
Ingame editor for teeskins, gameskins and other graphics
Joystick input (Ticket)
• Killing spree messages
Lock-on spectator view
More information on downloadspeed, time remaining and percentage of map downloads (Example 1) (Example 2)
More power-ups (invisibility, invincibility, longer hook, teleport, bullet time, extreme jump, no reload)
• More weapons (shield, flamethrower, bow, m240, smoke / flash grenades, damage over time knife, mines, taser)
• Personalize your game by adding .mp3 files as background music
Scroll function for the console
Speed calculator
Unmovebale "artillery" guns / base defenses
Vehicles of any kind (tanks, bikes, cars, siege machines)

Changes to existing features
Choose whether you would like to start with a hammer or a gun
Directed sounds which indicates where the sound effect is happening (It is already here, maybe it doesn't support 5.1/7.1 systems though)
Flagrunners shouldn't be affected by teambalance
Longer spawn-protection
Map rotation that adjusts to the number of present players
Multiple keybinds to one function (it is already possible)
Ninja overlaps other players when they are in a corner (Example)
Not able to pick up ninja when already a ninja
• Readable console time-stamp
Separation between "pure servers" and "non-standard servers" so people can modify settings without renaming the game type
Shorter self-kill respawn time
Stay as a spectator when a map changes (just use sv_tournament)

Community features
Ability to re-send the last message by pressing up
A global chat mute option
Allow for non-standard characters (for Russian / Chinese players)
Autocomplete for usernames
Auto-kick after several minutes without movement
Block multiple identical messages
Copy - paste function in chat
• Customizable chat
• Direct player-to-player chat
• Game wide chat lobby
• Implementation of clan support
• In game menu with for hotkeyed chat phrases
In game voice support (Mumble, Teamspeak)
Make it possible to leave comments on specific maps
More emoticons (Landil is reworking the emoticons)
Option to rate servers on their quality
Option to filter for maps that have never been played before
Private messaging (it requires accounts)
Save bans after server shut-down
Word censoring in chat

Graphical / UI features
1v1 scores shown in the UI
Adjustable teamcolors
Advanced scoreboard (Example)
Automatic skin download
Exact colors for your tee skin (more informations needed)
Health / armor view for spectators
Ingame selection of game skins
• Radar / minimap display (team only) (Example)
Menu to manage kicks and bans of players (Example)
More default mapres
More default skins
More default tilesets
• Multiple themes to choose from for the lobby
Separate ammo display for each weapon (Example)
• UI based latency indicator
• UI that can be changed without compiling

Demo recording
Ability to edit demo recordings in game
Ability to hide the chat and UI when demo recording
Ability to move the screen with the mouse while viewing
A delete button for each demo recording
Auto demo recording
Combine the demo and map in one compressed file (Ticket)
Ingame demo recording tutorial
Make the pause function stop everything
Scrolling could widen the range of slow motion and fast forward
• Show demo recordings with a preview image
Show saved demo files in a tree-structure with folders and sub-folders
• Three different views: camera locked on self, spectator view, camera locked on someone else

Map editor
Ability to increase map size to the top left, not just to the down right
• Ability to type numbers instead of needing to click
• Allow for more than 12 layers
• Choose the color in the green point of the middle of the quad instead of the corners
• Destructable map elements
Don't allow inactive players to vote after a minute
• More accessible map editor:
  o Ingame button
  o Ingame help / tutorial
• Effect tiles which affect the player with fire, water, quicksand, etc.
• Hookable death tiles
• Major improvements made by shmafoozius (Example)
• Make / clear death tiles
• Make / clear teleport tiles
• Map editor shouldn’t have to require tileset_borderfix and dilate to make PNGs
• Moving map element (doors, gates, bridges)
• Option for envelopes to delete +pos and +color layers
• “Realistic” appearance of water and smoke
Save button
• Undo button
• Size option in the quad editor
• Support for .GIF and animated .PNG files
• Team blocking tiles
• Tiles that you can walk through but don't allow shots to pass

Vote functions
• Exclusive votes for server administrators
Limited time to vote at the beginning of a match, after that voting gets disabled
Next map vote for public maps (Use change_map)
Option to comment on why you kick someone
Requirement of 80% yes votes
Separated map and server option votes
• Showing percentages for votes
• Some basic vote options on default server
Spectators shouldn't be allowed to vote
• Vote to take someone’s kickvote power away
• Vote to mute spamming users

Minor, non-game changing features

• AFK animations
A hotkey which will display playernames (just display the scoreboard)
Back to 0.4.3 grenade and hook sounds
• Message when timing out
Modified scoring for flag captures (for in example (fly)race maps)
• Music in the menus
• Soundeffects for map-related events
Spectator zoom
Use the arrow keys to navigate through the server browser
• Use the arrow keys to navigate through the menus

Account based functions (Accounts are currently not implementend, but will be at some point)
• Ability to report specific users
• Account based statistics
• Achievement system
• A personal ignore option
• Auto-join on clanmembers
• Ingame system to form clans
• List for friends and ignored users
• Long term statistics about kill / death ratio, flags times, weapon usage, etc.
• Show the nationality of each player (Example)
• Use clan name as team name instead of "Red" or "Blue"

UPDATING ON HOLD UNTIL REAL PROGRESS IS MADE. // Azon
updated by Ubuntu 13-03-11 //Landil

Re: [SUGGESTION] Ideas for the next version

Hm, how about a hookable tile that kills when touched by the tee?

Ex-King of Teeworlds

3 (edited by vandal 2009-10-28 19:29:32)

*IMO necessary:
- PAUSE! - for clanwars, league matches...
- lagbar, ping indicator visible all time - [example] - urbanterror/quake3 lagbar - clearly visible ping, lags, packet losts and every connection problem

* Chat & consoles improvements:
- scrollable consoles (often need to check earlier chat)
- autocomplete nicks in chat and console
- possibility to send line again by pressing up arrow in chat
- copy/paste (mainly for quick ip address insertion)
- user's variables and conditional instructions IF in console (cool Teeworlds-Z modification)
- customizable chat - number of lines visible, display time, font size, position

* Additional:
- customizable hud without recompilling - based on txt files like in Soldat or QuakeLive (to make it simple)
- spectators should not be able to vote - they are not playing, why they can decide? its annoying on 1v1 servers when few spectators are AFK - players have to wait 30 second until vote ends. Secont example: i was in the middle of 1on1 league match and few spectators voted 'spec all' option. Vote passed...
- nextmap vote for public servers
- small lobby chat in server-list menu (like in warrock, combat arms - good to talk with other players and find league matches)
- demos list shown as tree with folders and subfolders

//What do you think about that?

@ Azon: Nice work. Some of these ideas have already been discussed and rejected or accepted. So maybe you can set a special color for these kind of ideas. For example, I know that "Automatic skin download" will not be added.

5 (edited by Bee 2009-10-29 01:37:52)

Wow wow wow. This is great stuff! big_smile

1) I can't remember were, maybe later I will find the link. But somewhere I said that doors that open with buttons is a cool idea for a more intense playing field experience.
2) When making maps I want to add more to the top or left of the map and the only way to do that is by making the bounders bigger, then move the whole map to the bottom right corner, then expand on that. That is very annoying...I don't know how I would explain how to fix it, but I thought it is a valid point.

But I think there should be a small list of stuff that commonly people want, but won't ever be implemented for so and so reasons.

**On #2, I think the way to fix it is by having the option to expand on any side you like with the option of having expansions up to 4 on the: Top, bottom, left and right.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

Good ideas Vandal & Azon. Most of such changes would be very useful ingame wink

vandal wrote:

*IMO necessary:
- PAUSE! - for clanwars, league matches...
- lagbar, ping indicator visible all time - [example] - urbanterror/quake3 lagbar - clearly visible ping, lags, packet losts and every connection problem

* Chat & consoles improvements:
- scrollable consoles (often need to check earlier chat)
- autocomplete nicks in chat and console
- possibility to send line again by pressing up arrow in chat
- copy/paste (mainly for quick ip address insertion)
- user's variables and conditional instructions IF in console (cool Teeworlds-Z modification)
- customizable chat - number of lines visible, display time, font size, position

* Additional:
- customizable hud without recompilling - based on txt files like in Soldat or QuakeLive (to make it simple)
- spectators should not be able to vote - they are not playing, why they can decide? its annoying on 1v1 servers when few spectators are AFK - players have to wait 30 second until vote ends. Secont example: i was in the middle of 1on1 league match and few spectators voted 'spec all' option. Vote passed...
- nextmap vote for public servers
- small lobby chat in server-list menu (like in warrock, combat arms - good to talk with other players and find league matches)
- demos list shown as tree with folders and subfolders

//What do you think about that?

Many of those things are already in clients, like the HUDMod. Other ideas are fantastic, I like the small lobby chat.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

I have a question.
When it says "Automatic skin download" as one of the things that will be done, does that mean you will always have to download every skin the sever? Or is it more of an option thing?

Please note that this is not a list of things that will be done, but a list of things that are suggested by the community. Many of these are based on the old suggestion topic and are therefor either unrealistic or outdated. // ~{MS}~ Azon

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

|X-treme|Bee wrote:

I have a question.
When it says "Automatic skin download" as one of the things that will be done, does that mean you will always have to download every skin the sever? Or is it more of an option thing?

Automatic skin download will not be done.

Somerunce wrote:

Automatic skin download will not be done.

...Well I looked up some answers why this shouldn't be done.

matricks wrote:

The main reason that it hasn't been done is because we kinda want the game to look good. There is a lot of skins out there, some good, some bad and probably some inappropriate. Someday we will perhaps introduce some sort of automatic download of skins from inside the game, but right now I don't see it because there are much more important stuff to work on.

teetow wrote:

The whole point is making the gaming experience enjoyable for everyone. This means no crappy Mario skins, swastikas or goatse pics. Like matricks said -- if and when we do automatic skin downloads, it should be managed in a way that ensures the maximum quality with the least amount of effort on part of the player who doesn't care about skins.

I thought they weren't saying, "We will never make them." but, "We have more important stuff to do right now." right?

In the current development mindset (which reaches as far as the developers can see in the future) there is no intention of implementing this for a multitude of reasons. The most important one is indeed that there are so many other issues to resolve before there is even a chance of thinking about this that it's simply unlikely for this to ever really happen. A much better alternative would be some kind of database where members can pick which skin they prefer, and don't have to deal with the inherent problems of an automated service.

I have a suggestion:
The one thing that I would like to see changed about teeworlds is hiding, or shall I say lack of hiding due to name above player.
It would be really cool if there was some server setting that disabled name viewing for players, or only show name when the tee is fully visible. Maybe both. Such as sv_names or something. This would allow a hiding aspect to the game without modding like catch16. In catch16 it really adds a whole new strategy to the game.
Does anybody else think it would work?

I don't think so. Teeworlds isn't a game where you hide yourself.
If you would look at the official maps, you would see that there is no possibility to hide on any of them.

aka cheesy

penguins wrote:

This would allow a hiding aspect to the game without modding like catch16. In catch16 it really adds a whole new strategy to the game.

great idea for ctf - steal flag, hide somewhere and wait hour until someone find you. Or go and camp with grenades in some bushes...
Theres mod with special gamemode for this, who needs it in normal gamemodes?

Good point. I never thought about the standard maps lack of hiding. I can see it being miss used a lot too if it was built in. All servers you would never see what was going on.

grummi wrote:

If you would look at the official maps, you would see that there is no possibility to hide on any of them.

ctf5 has two spots, on the respective sides of the bases.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Okay another idea. Some times I would want to join a sever with a friend in it, then there would be connection problems, I get kicked but he doesn't. I try to rejoin but the sever is full. I have no way of telling him what happened.

Could there maybe be a messages that come in as red (red for messages that are coming from out side the sever.) that would be where all the other messages you get from inside the sever?
And maybe for the person that was kicked, you would just go to "Info" on the right then down to "Score board" with a button right next to all people that makes a little typing thing that you can send your messages to from outside the sever?

@ Azon: thanks for explaining.

|X-treme|Bee wrote:

Okay another idea. Some times I would want to join a sever with a friend in it, then there would be connection problems, I get kicked but he doesn't. I try to rejoin but the sever is full. I have no way of telling him what happened.

Could there maybe be a messages that come in as red (red for messages that are coming from out side the sever.) that would be where all the other messages you get from inside the sever?
And maybe for the person that was kicked, you would just go to "Info" on the right then down to "Score board" with a button right next to all people that makes a little typing thing that you can send your messages to from outside the sever?

@ Azon: thanks for explaining.

Or perhaps a message giving the reason why you left like on IRC, such as "yemDX has left the game: ping timeout."?

Ex-King of Teeworlds

yemDX wrote:
grummi wrote:

ctf5 has two spots, on the respective sides of the bases.

Are you are talking about this bush?
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5054/highk.png

It's not even there in low detail:
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6622/lowd.png

aka cheesy

20 (edited by nareto 2009-10-30 12:04:55)

I think it would be great to add non-weapon bonus: it would add the option to play somewhat more tactically and overall add variety to the game... for example:

*invisibility
*invincibility
*longer (infinite?) hook
*casual wormhole (you get teleported somewhere else on the map, casually)
*as |X-treme|Bee said, doors, same as wormholes except it wouldn't be casual.
*timewarp: (ever played rollcage?) you continue to move at normal speed while all other players are very slowed down, like if they were in goo

all of these would obviously last a finite amount of time, and I think that, except for wormholes and doors, one should be able to use the bonus when he wants, just like you can fire a weapon.
and of course more and crazier weapons are allways welcome

21 (edited by Bee 2009-10-30 16:30:00)

yemDX wrote:

Or perhaps a message giving the reason why you left like on IRC, such as "yemDX has left the game: ping timeout."?

That might be a good one for that.
But also when I want to meet up with a friend in a different sever and he says, "Just find me." so I do, but the sever he's in just became full; and he's to oblivious to notices why I'm not there.

nareto wrote:

*timewarp: (ever played rollcage?) you continue to move at normal speed while all other players are very slowed down, like if they were in goo

But then that means all the other players would be slowed down the whole time. For me, that would get really annoying...
But all the other ones are great ideas. [+] smile

Only ONE new weapon --> Bow big_smile

|X-treme|Bee wrote:
nareto wrote:

But then that means all the other players would be slowed down the whole time. For me, that would get really annoying...
But all the other ones are great ideas. [+] smile

yeah, other players would slow down, that's the whole point of it... me too thought it could get annoying, so it should be made something very rare (more rare than the katana), single use, and that lasts for 3-5 seconds.

24 (edited by Bee 2009-10-30 19:28:20)

nareto wrote:

yeah, other players would slow down, that's the whole point of it... me too thought it could get annoying, so it should be made something very rare (more rare than the katana), single use, and that lasts for 3-5 seconds.

Now that is a lot better than forever. wink

Crises wrote:

Only ONE new weapon --> Bow big_smile

Bow...bow is a great new weapon.
But I think the 4 best weapons that would be great to implement would be:

Bow & arrow, Land Mine, Homing Rocket, and Frosty. > http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopi … 02&p=6 <(More info, 9 comments down.)

And for Idioms, just parachute, only if falling from a great height hurts you.

powerups for special-events like flagcap, killingspree.
like some of this: http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopi … 62&p=2