Topic: MAP FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE YOU POST YOUR MAP

Whenever you created a map, please put some effort in your post and make sure it contains at least the following elements. This allows players to see exactly what they can expect on your map and gives them a good idea if they want to download your map. It's very helpful to both you as a creator, the community as potential players and it also gives the forum some structure by which it can function.

1. Clean topic's title - [MAP] Insert your map name

2. Gametype - Standard gameplay or for mods?

3. Version - Have there been any previous releases, if yes, what has changed?

4. Screenshots - If possible an full overview shot from the editor and some highlights

5. Download link - Try to pick a hosting service without registration, many adds or download limitations

It is also advisable to take a look and work by the General Rules. Failing to do so could potentially inflict (serious) measures against your posting freedom. On the other hand, if you follow them your maps will be seen by many and can get great praise and rewarding from the community.

2 (edited by torch 2009-08-31 11:22:42)

Re: MAP FORUM RULES - READ BEFORE YOU POST YOUR MAP

My idea is that someone could make a custom page for posting maps - something like templates in the teewiki. Then the map maker would only need to fill in a form, with the name, gametype and all necessary information, provide screenshots and atleast 2 different download links. That way people posting maps would not need to worry whether they left out something which is needed. The maps topic wouldnt make making new threads possible except by this method. All maps posted would look the same neat and organized way, no more chaos. The custom coding itself is a really little part, it is just a wrapper for the make new topic function. It receives the data from a form and makes formatting and thumbinals if needed. There are many people on this forums who make their sites and a small task like that would be really easy for them.

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

If this can be coded in a functional and user-friendly way and if the developers can find time to integrate your suggestion it's certainly one worth looking into. If this is not the case then there could be some kind of form formatted by BBcode but this would probably function a lot less efficient.

4 (edited by torch 2009-08-31 12:34:29)

I myself could code this ( except the design part ), atleast in the way I imagine it. It would be just a simple 'text filter'. For example in the template is a field for map name. You enter 'ctf_awesome' and I generate this text:

'ctf_awesome' -> 'Name: ctf_awesome' which is then passed to the ordinary 'make a new thread function'. We just need someon come up with a clear and friendly design, a list of things that must be present for a map, and optional fields maybe.

The whole code would be just a single function in php, which you could stick in the appropriate place, I believe it's not hard to integrate that.

I suggest theese for now:

Map name:
Size: either a number like 100x45 or just small, medium, big
Tileset: name of tilesets used
Version: with preselected value of the most current version
Gametype:
Players: number or players the map is made for
Description: anything and everything you wish to say about your map.
Screenshots:
Download links:
Credits:

Here is a working demo http://rapidshare.com/files/273827260/map.html ( choose Open instead of save ). The code is javascript and the design and layout are just dummy, until someone decides to help me with theese.

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

Should be extended with:
- number of players it is designed for
- optional: little description (gameplay, special, pickups, etc.)
     - dislike posts like "Made a great map. here, download it!"