Re: Official Aimbot Discussion

matricks wrote:

I really don't like the idea of making a closed source solution because it defeats the purpose of Teeworlds being open source. If TWAC is also open source, it will be very very easy to circumvent it as well. Secondly, security by obscurity (reading assembler) is not security, it's just foolishness.

EDIT: I would go so far as saying that servers that requires closed source client or client software to connect to would be banned from the master servers.

So you really want to left the door open for cheaters?
What will be your next step? Do you want to give them milk and cookies?

I myself acctually never really had a problem with anbody using an aimbot. Maybe I am an axception to the rule, but from my experience i have to say that i don't really see the need to have a function to ban aimbot users. If you really have a huge problem with them, my advice is to just leave the server and go to another one, i mean, there are really enough servers. Private servers will absolutly guarantee your saftey from aimbot users. I really don't think that it is worth to give up tw as an opensource project just to make sure there are no cheaters, and thus I am really thankful that the developers seem to have a similar opinion.

The aimbots aren't a problem in the vanilla gametypes (DM/TDM/CTF) which are the only supported ones.

I was speaking to the p2p research group at my university recently. So if you wanna write a master thesis on trusted code / communication in anonymous p2p networks to avoid cheating and want to code some corresponding stuff for teeworlds, just give me your contact tongue

It's really a difficult research topic. If you have a good idea, let me know, I would make big money out of it ^^

In vanilla game mode, bots could be a problem (since the sniper gun is still quite powerful there), but they aren't - due to the lack of movement skills by most botters. And btw. on good servers the people will kick a bot very quickly! That's why I have to emphasize that I <3 the decision of Splok to enable kicking @ HuH-Server smile

Question? search function
Short movies? Lappi's link loft
Teeworlds info'n'tuts on gfx? Landil's sketchbook

In vanilla mod, bot could be a problem too.
The rifle is powerfull too, and I recently find how to really nice shot with grenade (For ZBots),  which can be used for gun.

So, it could (I don't hope but) be nasty for vanilla.

|ZPote| buffer[]'s posterous

Personally, I think aimbot detection is a waste of time for teeworlds (except maybe for learning purposes, then it's a great idea), as botters will find a way to bypass whatever system is put in place (even if the system is closed-source).

But still, here's an idea : use the same system as spam detection (bayesian filtering). The only thing needed is a modified server, which gathers stats about players (movement speed, hook usage, accuracy, kill/death ratio, kill streaks (à la Doube/Multi kill in Unreal Tournament), and maybe others), and assigns a probability that the player is an aimbot. There would need to be a learning period when admins have to manually flag the bots/humans to detect bot and non-bot characteristics.
When there is sufficient data, the server can automatically ban players above a certain threshold. The learning database could then be shared between servers.

enable kicking @ HuH-Server

A note on that : there are many false positives. It's very annoying to get kicked from your own server because people don't know how to recognize aimbots. That's why it was disabled in the first place, but then the aimbot numbers grew.
The aimbot paranoia is way more annoying than the aimbots themselves (at least to me).

I seriously don't belive that the anti-aimbot tool will be so much succesfull. Hackers are able to do bots that can pass through that system after a bit time. I think TeeComp is still good enough to detect botters by yourself.

A wise man told his fellow FPS gamers once: "god forbid any of you going into war"

i don't know if a human can move his aim fast as a bot.
so maybe some1 can make a mod where you get kicked if your aim move to fast?

.(0o) ------------------¸(°°),
  <|          Face-Clan         |>
`(ˆˆ)´-----------------<(ˆˆ)

I can aim like bot Oo smile xD wink

60 (edited by aka 2009-05-28 04:14:35)

It is sad to say but the salvation will come from locked system port like iPhone, PS3, DS .. with "official" master server where only secure client can join. A paradoxal consequence for a free software

Somerunce wrote:

The aimbots aren't a problem in the vanilla gametypes (DM/TDM/CTF) which are the only supported ones.

So that is your defense for not taking any actions towards aimbotters? Your only comment?

62 (edited by vandal 2009-07-23 16:11:09)

Somerunce wrote:

In Soldat every aimbot works with m79 (soldat's grenade launcher) too and it aims really good, making a huge advantage for cheater. I wouldnt be so sure if aimbots are not used in vanilla..

i had a server once but this ******* botter made me leave this game and the ppl that rly liked my server becouse it was the only old beachfight server on the new version runing ictf the problem is not that u cant ban ppl the problem is they swich thair ip and come back and there is nothing u can do agains this so this is the problem if u want to think about something "anti-cheat" think about  this

|Affe mit Waffe|

Please refrain from using unnecessary curse / strength words. // ~{MS}~ Azon

Affe_mit_Waffe,

It isn't true for everyone who got a dynamic ip,
but some people got a list of disponible ip.
So after a few bans he might be unable to come back.

vandal wrote:
Somerunce wrote:

In Soldat every aimbot works with m79 (soldat's grenade launcher) too and it aims really good, making a huge advantage for cheater. I wouldnt be so sure if aimbots are not used in vanilla..

This is Teeworlds. This is not Soldat.

Kottizen wrote:
vandal wrote:
Somerunce wrote:

This is Teeworlds. This is not Soldat.

But bot can aim with all wepons, even with the grenade.

Buffer is right... the zbots are the perfect example for being able to have perfect grenade aim aswell.

If you would get the zbot-shooting software, you already could create a vanilla bot.
So don't say its impossible... Its just a question of time till vanilla will be affected aswell. wink

~{MonkeyStyle}~ - Instagib Teeworlds Clan
VISIT US: http://monkeystyle.xooit.com/
Check out our IRC channel: #monkeystyle on QuakeNet || Also check out the TeeWiki: http://teewiki.info

I just see no point in this whole discussion. It has been said many times that there will be no cheat-protection implemented in teeworlds, because its not a priority, its difficult to implement and not bullet-proof ( You cant stop people from creating aimbots, no matter what u come up with they will outsmart you - dont want to give ideas here ). I play vanilla and never had problems with aimbots, because they just wont work in vanilla; and I understand that for people playing mods like instagib or freeze it is a problem, but please, its your problem, and these forums are about the vanilla game - especially when you discuss developement and implementation requests. Contact the creators and maintainers of those mods and mock them to make this and that. And please dont bring your problems from other mods to vanilla.

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

about: torch: I agree with every step. Instagib and Freeze are "fun"-mods. You dont need any skill or something like that to be good or to win. So its "easy" to make bots for it, but who cares?
about: Tom94: A pro-player can forecast every thing a other player will do, so he can hit nearly 100% of his shoots. BUT: a bot or zbot or whatever cant do it, because it dont know about humans! So, bots cant ever be used in vanilla, because maybe the laser will hit, but every other things not. I played agains bots in vanilla, wasnt a problem for me, even if they hit better as the normal teeworlds-player. I saw what it tried to do and avoid to this.
And in my eyes guys like u pushs this topic up, because even the new players thinks that every second player use bots, and as coz of this many ppl who dont use bots get kicked. Pls stop it. Thx

[sorry for my bad english, but i hope u understand what i try to say to you]

Please take note that it's no good to try to silence a discussion on the reasons you state. This is an serious issue which every new player will encounter at some point, and probably have his questions about. Good information and a formal stance on this problem will then be the key ingredients which make sure he or she doesn't start to use bots by himself. // ~{MS}~ Azon

There's not much to add beyond what has been said but one thing you're wrong about is the idea that instagib is anymore of a fun mod then normal gameplay. There's a strong difference between experienced players and beginners, and if you're interested, you can clearly see which team uses what strategy to win. There are quite some teams and clans out there who see it as a very serious and competitive game mode and play on a level of skills and strategy that would blow away any group of unorganized and inexperienced players.

You do actually need quite some skills, but these are a bit different from those of the normal gameplay. The main aspects are speed, agile movement and mastering your weapon. Due to the quick death the laser ensures the fastest speed and most agile moves are often the key advantage you have over your opponent. Due to this instagib has a very fast gameplay which might look boring to non-players, but is very intense while your on it.
Unlike the other, rather crude, weapons the laser rifle is a very versatile weapon which can be deployed in many ways. It works for close and long range, can be very deadly in combination with the hook and can be very surprising if used with the bouncing effect.

It also seems you misunderstood Toms point about botting capabilities in normal gameplay. What he was talking about was that CPU controlled Zbots are just as capable of hitting you with the grenade launcher as they do with the laser. For this reason it must also be possible to develop an aimbot which functions very well in normal gameplay in terms of aim with all available weapons. The fact that you already encountered bots in normal gameplay proves all the more that this issue isn't just about instagib, but affects the entire game. That you could win from them doesn't make this problem any less problematic, it would only be a matter of time until they improve.

71 (edited by Affe_mit_Waffe 2009-07-28 05:12:58)

buffer[] wrote:

Affe_mit_Waffe,

It isn't true for everyone who got a dynamic ip,
but some people got a list of disponible ip.
So after a few bans he might be unable to come back.

i can tell u its true u cant ban them as fast as they reconnect thats why i closed my server
you simply got no chance to fight the aimbotter as long as u can't ban a "ID" or something like this they cant change

|Affe mit Waffe|

edit: typo

but many pro-player get kicked because the not-so-pro-player think they are botting, because this topic is so pushed up

These people get kicked because other people can't stand to lose and abuse the votekick to get rid of those that are better then themselves. To convince other players they'll yell that these people are botters despite they know very well these people are not. The problem is in the mental status of a minority of the player base, not in this forum post.

You're kidding, are you?

Which "proplayer" is playing with a bunch of newbies (meaning a server with more than 50% newbies who actually votekick you).

I can't really understand why it's always "vanilla over all". The discussion about aimbots is NOT pushed up. How can it be, as I'm forced to ban several ppl everyday from our servers?

It's even worse. There are ppl joining a game and spamming a link where you can download an aimbot (ok, with a virus I guess :>). There are ppl saying in my face 'Yes, I have an aimbot'. Every single day.

I for my self don't even dare to imagine how big the number of unreported cases actually is - I don't like the idea of 10-20% having a bot- , but yeah who cares, it's vanilla.

Oh wait

NOT

Flagball is my passion, Instagib has my heart and I'm a real Nap (:

but more ppl get kicked as needed to ban the botter of the servers. so i dont see any problem? ö.Ö