1 (edited by Azon 2009-01-08 12:15:43)

Topic: How to correctly detect an aimbot

I waited as long as possible to touch this troublesome subject but feel that today is the right time.
While playing in instagib I noticed that there are two significant and new developments:

1. More and more people openly use aimbots, and "brag" about it
2. Good players are more then often insulted for using aimbots

Although this is probably for a major part due to the jealousy that releases itself when seeing someone playing better then you, I think there's also a lot of misunderstanding about what an aimbot actually can and what it can't. I can't change the first development, but the second one would be better addressed if people would understand how they can tell a good player apart from a automated player.

What a basic (aim)bot CAN do:
- Aim directly at it's target, only requiring the player to press a button to shoot
- Aimbots can also miss, therefor they're used when the tee doesn't move much

What a basic (aim)bot CAN'T do:
- Use the bounce of the laser
- Do advanced movements with rope
- Shoot faster, run faster or jump higher

So now we know what could be marked as an aimbot, what behavior should alarm us?
- Players that show a significant better aim when defending then when offending
- Players that try to minimize movement while defending
- Players that hit with every shot they fire
- (Occasionally) people openly giving hints or trying to aggravate you to face their automated powers

Please note that these points of behavior singled out don't say anything about a player, but a combination of the first 3 behavioral signs could indicate the presence of an aimbot. Therefor I would like to inform you about how to behave when having a strong indication of an aimbot:
- Explain aimbots aren't fair to other players and  make him very disrespectful in the community
- Try to ignore his automated powers and use your real skill to show him what it's all about
- If all else fails, disconnect your current server and try another one
- If you care enough: report the player to the server administrators, and possible online blacklists like this one. If you're detection was correct there might be a possibility for them to take permanent action against these bots.

What you should NOT do:
- Develop your own aimbot and use the other persons usage as an excuse
- Start insulting the person in the channel, this will only work the negative way
- Shout the persons name on every message board you come along

If anyone else has something to add to this little topic of education, I'll do so to improve quality.

Re: How to correctly detect an aimbot

Very good explanation, aimbots are bad.

Helpful.
Thanks.

_|---------------------------------------|_
  |Skins StudioPaw Steam Icon Graphics |
_|---------------------------------------|_

Or you could play vanilla, where this problem don't exist at all smile

Used to be very active waay back

5 (edited by Mecha-Kirby 2009-01-08 13:44:42)

Aimbot = http://a.deviantart.com/avatars/f/a/facepalmplz.jpg and http://fc10.deviantart.com/fs29/f/2008/164/7/a/Epic_Fail_plz_by_epic_failplz.gif

I think I see more and more ppl aimbotting than I thought, it sucks. And IF they got beaten, they just whine and/or leave. Fuckers (sorry). And a typical message if they won the match: "pwned"

Could you guys can do an "aimbot-detection-system" for the loading sequence ? During loading it should check the common aimbot files and if detected, that the game just closing itself and makes a registry file that still close the game after re-install. I think it's a great punishment for cheaters.

A wise man told his fellow FPS gamers once: "god forbid any of you going into war"

Mecha-Kirby wrote:

Aimbot = http://a.deviantart.com/avatars/f/a/facepalmplz.jpg and http://fc10.deviantart.com/fs29/f/2008/164/7/a/Epic_Fail_plz_by_epic_failplz.gif

I think I see more and more ppl aimbotting than I thought, it sucks. And IF they got beaten, they just whine and/or leave. Fuckers (sorry). And a typical message if they won the match: "pwned"

Could you guys can do an "aimbot-detection-system" for the loading sequence ? During loading it should check the common aimbot files and if detected, that the game just closing itself and makes a registry file that still close the game after re-install. I think it's a great punishment for cheaters.

It's open source dude. ^^ We've already had these discussions weeks ago

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

7 (edited by Azon 2009-01-08 13:52:26)

I don't think it would be a good advertisement if it leaks out that Teeworlds scans your computer and makes unannounced registry changes. It's also too easy to design your own tools, which would make the search for common files a hard one. I think it's better if we simply prove to these players that it's more fun to play without such help and ignore them to make their game an un-enjoyable one.

If the community is more aware of the behavior they can ignore it by leaving the server, which in time will leave the players deploying the aimbot without anything to hit and no fun from his actions. It will also make server admins more aware to kick and with 0.5.0 to ban these people.

8 (edited by LordSk 2009-01-08 14:03:11)

Aimbot can detect barriers and use bounce big_smile.
But at the moment no.

EDIT : I am not one xD.

lordskelethom - want to reach me quickly? https://discord.gg/teeworlds

That aimbots can't detect obstacles is just wrong, it's the same for laser bounce. Maybe one of the known aimbots can't do this, but sadly it is possible to code these things. And sometimes I play vs people of who I really think they have some detection or REALLY intelligent weapon swapping system... their game style is just plain inhuman. X_x

bam: WARNING:'src/game/server/gamemodes/mod.cpp' comes from the future

10 (edited by Magnet 2009-01-09 12:15:18)

shmafoozius wrote:

That aimbots can't detect obstacles is just wrong, it's the same for laser bounce. Maybe one of the known aimbots can't do this, but sadly it is possible to code these things. And sometimes I play vs people of who I really think they have some detection or REALLY intelligent weapon swapping system... their game style is just plain inhuman. X_x

Those are only good players. Even if it's theoretically possible to make a full "Godmode" bot, afaik there aren't any and good players (in regular) are just that: good players. I for one play with vanilla client and I frequently hit with super moves / instakill that are barely human ;p.

I have also been accused many times to being a hookbot because my hook aim and repeat is painful. On instagib I have been accused to be an aimbot a few times but I stopped playing that mode regularly.

Playing teeworlds is nothing compared to playing guitar or piano at a high level; Jimi Hendrix was no computer program yet he was inhuman, way more than the very best TW player (that was, is and will be).

I agree with you Magnet - Jimi Hendrix was the best teeworlds player I knew.

Besides... I haven't seen bots for weeks ...

if there's a player using one --> just leave him alone ^^

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

I hate bots too, but they could have a practical use.
You could use them when you setted (is that the simple past tense of "to set up"?) up your own offline server to play with when there aren't any other players.
Like when you play at the toilet (-.-) or at other offline places to train.
Or even online, just to train with
Like the Battlefield 2142 bots. They're just pc programs that play like a player, but there isn't a player.
Those bots like the |BotRoyal bots in teeworlds.

If you could use these bots for educational use, then they would be usfull, isn't it?
There are many people who want to heigthen their skills, and 'cause bots are almost perfect, you could use them to train yourself.
I even want to create such a mod.

Btw, I am not a botter

Don't use a bot to cheat, only use them to train yourself (when you play offline, if you play online; use a server password)

Unfortunately the open source nature of Teeworlds makes it impossible for people to protect their "training bots" from getting hijacked and put to use as aimbots, so it would be difficult to see the difference. Although an interesting project for your individual usage on offline servers you need to be very careful when spreading these kind of modifications or using them online. We strongly discourage the sharing due to the abuse that usually follows.

Listen: There is a server that has |botroyal bots as players.
You cannot hack those "Good Bots" because you need to open teeworlds several times with "players" with the same name, like "|botroyal, |botroyal(1), ..."
Then you need set up the Perfect Bots to play instead of a player.
I think you need to set up three things: a hook bot, a shoot (normal) bot modified to shoot automaticaly, a movement bot (if that excists).
Then you can play against 1 or 2 or 3 or ... bots like if they where players.
Then we finally have usefull bots big_smile

And, for the mod idea:
I won't release the mod.
I will just combine the bots to recreate those |botroyal bots (they really excist, I played against some of them big_smile).
Then, I will just modify the game to create a shooting gallery like mod to let tee's hone their skills.
When you hit a bot, you will get some points.
It's perfect to let people learn to aim big_smile yay big_smile cookies, I mean: that's a good idea, isn't it?
but if you let the mod work that way, and release the mod, the downloaders need to download the bots too.
If they do that, and when they have an idea like "I want to use a bot to ...(let you fantasy work to fill in those points).
That could result in  "Botworlds/Botwars" instead of  "Teeworlds/Teewars".
Then there will not be fun anymore. =[
And that's why such mods don't need to get publicated.

Friendly greetings, big_smile

R&B-guy big_smile

I have a question regarding the identification of aimbot users. What's with those players who spin their weapons around all the time? Is that typical of an aimbot, or is it just a normal technique?

I ask because every player I've seen who "spins around" (if that's really what their doing) is always god-like, skill-wise, and they exhibit all the other traits of being an aimbot.

If it is just a technique, why don't the "less than god-like" players ever use it? I certainly don't use it. It seems like a waste of energy. The one excuse I got from a player exhibiting this behavior is that it was "fun" to spin around, or something like that.

Could you shed some light on this?

FearlessLeader wrote:

I have a question regarding the identification of aimbot users. What's with those players who spin their weapons around all the time? Is that typical of an aimbot, or is it just a normal technique?

I ask because every player I've seen who "spins around" (if that's really what their doing) is always god-like, skill-wise, and they exhibit all the other traits of being an aimbot.

If it is just a technique, why don't the "less than god-like" players ever use it? I certainly don't use it. It seems like a waste of energy. The one excuse I got from a player exhibiting this behavior is that it was "fun" to spin around, or something like that.

Could you shed some light on this?

It's just a technique. Most players who spin are "godlike" because they are experienced. Less than "god-like" players don't use it because it's something players learn once they have mastered all other aspects of Teeworlds. However, if you play regularly you can meet bad spinners or people new at that who will fail a lot because they did not master it or do it uselessly.

There is no definite reason for spinning other than style, impressing others and hiding where you're going to shoot, but personally I do it because it makes my movement follow a pattern and I don't have to think about it anymore.

I have been accused many times of being an aimbot and this is one of the reasons, but if you meet a real aimbot you will discover that they are used by low or mid-level players who can't even properly move their mouse. Spinning requires high sensitivity and high precision.

More details here:
http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopi … 260#p53260

Ah, I see now. I suppose that if you play with the dynamic camera on, spinning would technically allow you to see more of the map.

Thanks for clearing that up.

There are a lot of people who claim to be "pros" but really have an aimbot.

@FearlessLeader: I spin alot, but I spin so that I can train my aim quicker, not because I have an aimbot.

I need to figure out something to put here.

Cool. Perhaps you should add that to the main post?

R&B-Guy: if you want to train offline, you can use the zomb-mod?! smile
they are nice to train your skills and with the right commands...^^

FearlessLeader wrote:

Ah, I see now. I suppose that if you play with the dynamic camera on, spinning would technically allow you to see more of the map.

Thanks for clearing that up.

No, spinning does not affect the vision range in any way. If someone is using a large-range cheat, it doesn't need any spinning because the server sends the dynamic-range information from every side anyway.

As a matter of fact, spinners don't use the dynamic camera because it would make the game unplayable with all the resulting flickering. Very few pro players use the dynamic camera anyway.

That's not what I meant, but whatever. I have some new questions. These are just things that stuck me as funny, or out of place.

I've seen-on multiple occasions-people type "/ability" in chat. Usually, when one person enters it, other players enter the same term almost immediately.
What does that mean?

I have seen on one occasion someone type "/enable_flagbot"
or something close to that.
What in the world does that mean? Wouldn't you, if you were first time player, suspect cheating after seeing something like that?

"/ability" ist just a simple chat message. In the war3 mod you send this message to activate your special ability.
To quickly activate this skill, many war3 players bind this to a key. The war3 servers filters these messages so they are not send to other players. Pure servers and other mods don't do that and so this message is displayed when a player accidentally hits this key. Other war3 players on the sever who see this also send this message to show they are also playing war3(i guess).

I have no idea what "/enable_flagbot" means. Maybe another mod?

aka cheesy

I'm pretty sure that "/enable_flagbot" isn't the exact command. If I see it again, I'll attempt to clarify.

I tried a few Items, when tested too download an aimbot. (i don't use it) but here's how my work:
You Hook at People all time
You can Miss!
You Can Still Aim self. hook, use auto emotes.
It Cant:
Run soo Fast, it just aims at other players.
The bad Aimbotters. just walk. and you can detect it.
The Pro Aimbotters, they still fly around like a pro and Spin the gun!
More:
If you dolost. it can't climb up! couse when it's up it starts hook at everyone that flies round him.

This is Correctly.

Normal day at school than oh MY GOD YOUR ALMOST HIT BY A RANdom truck.