1 (edited by MuffinMario 2019-01-02 18:36:21)

Topic: [MOD] ConQuest (CQ) (0.7.1)

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MuffinMario/Teeworlds-Conquest/master/thumb.png

ConQuest (CQ) - A Team Based King-of-the-Hill for Teeworlds 0.7.1

I'm proud to present my first ever Teeworlds mod to give back all the fun time I had in mods made by this community smile

The game is pretty straight forward. Conquer the most points on a map. Each second for every conquered point, your team will get 1 point. The first team to reach the scorelimit wins the game.

There are currently 1 new commands and 3 new tunes
The commands contain:

• sv_respawn_delay_cq (default 2)
           - The respawn delay everytime you die.

The tunes contain:

• capture_default_radius (default 250.0)
        - The default radius for the default capture point (Entity for red or blue flag). Changes are only applied on a restart.

• capture_speed_tick (default 0.3)
        - The speed that you capture the point with (stacks up to 3 times depending on the amount of tees standing on the point)

• capture_rotate (default 0.1)
        - The rotation speed of the capture point. Purely visual.

An example of an autoexec including all custom commands:

sv_name My ConQuest server
sv_port 8303
sv_gametype CQ
sv_map ctf7_cq 
sv_max_clients 32
sv_scorelimit 250

sv_respawn_delay_cq 2

tune capture_default_radius 400.0
tune capture_speed_tick 0.08
tune capture_rotation 0.1

To kick off the release of this map, I've made a few very minor changes to some default maps to make the game mode playable. Simple example in CTF2:
I removed the flags on both sides and placed one in the center.
https://i.imgur.com/v5I3fNM.png

Of course the game mode isn't limited to default maps. Feel free to create the best CQ maps you can think of smile
Some tips to create more balanced points:
- Don't reward the captured team by putting weapons around the capture area. Give the enemy team a chance to capture back the point!
- If you plan to make the capture points' radius vote-dynamic (increase/decrease radius by vote) plan ahead since it can easily be abused with camping behind a wall.
- Don't put too much points on the map since it will be hard for small teams to capture points and it will just end in an endless circle race of capturing the points!

If you have any idea on how to improve this mod, feel free to give feedback. I'm open for any helpful critic to improve my coding aswell as the gamemode itself.

You can find the latest source code on my GitHub repository Teeworlds-Conquest Repository
There you can also find the latest releases. They also contain the changelogs!
If you are too lazy to check the releases.
Download the latest version (0.2.1)
Download an older version (0.2.0)
Download an older version (0.1.0)

Re: [MOD] ConQuest (CQ) (0.7.1)

A nice simple and enjoyable mod, I really like it great work! smile
Also love the visuals!
An improvement would be to set red color to lasers for the red team in order to differ them.
Is it possible to set a different capture_radius for each flag independently?

I agree

My proposal: put a radius entity in the map, if you don't find it within x of the flag, pick a sane default (and make that default configurable, but with a server config rather than a tune, teeworlds tuning system is a bit strange. Thanks

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

That looks like a nicely designed mod, thanks for sharing!

Sonix wrote:

An improvement would be to set red color to lasers for the red team in order to differ them.

That's not possible afaik

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Schwertspize wrote:

I agree

My proposal: put a radius entity in the map, if you don't find it within x of the flag, pick a sane default (and make that default configurable, but with a server config rather than a tune, teeworlds tuning system is a bit strange. Thanks

That sounds like a good idea. But difficult to implement user-friendly.

My ideas about this seem a bit crappy though.

1. Let's say a blue flag is the radius for a flag and the red flag would be the center point. Then...
... this would override a solid block (if there'd be no free spaces left around the point.)
https://i.imgur.com/ZsH5eNH.png
... how should the server interpret this https://i.imgur.com/xRzU4Up.png

-2.Maybe they need to be connected, irrelevant of color. Then...
... the first issue would still exist https://i.imgur.com/Q6JxeoX.png

3. What if the blue flags count as 2 far blocks?
Then it would be less user friendly and remove the "simplicity"?

6 (edited by Deepfinder 2019-01-01 04:43:14)

MuffinMario wrote:
Schwertspize wrote:

I agree

That sounds like a good idea. But difficult to implement user-friendly.

My ideas about this seem a bit crappy though.

1. Let's say a blue flag is the radius for a flag and the red flag would be the center point. Then...
... this would override a solid block (if there'd be no free spaces left around the point.)
https://i.imgur.com/ZsH5eNH.png
... how should the server interpret this https://i.imgur.com/xRzU4Up.png

-2.Maybe they need to be connected, irrelevant of color. Then...
... the first issue would still exist https://i.imgur.com/Q6JxeoX.png

3. What if the blue flags count as 2 far blocks?
Then it would be less user friendly and remove the "simplicity"?

1. It would not override a solid block since this block would not (and can not) be a solid block (try it in-game, there is just empty air with a flag)
2. Use only the nearest flag
3. No they don't need to be connected

IMO little Schwertspize is talking bullshit AGAIN, a simple center-entity + config option for radius is sufficient

I will be banned if I troll again ...

7 (edited by MuffinMario 2019-01-01 05:34:47)

Deepfinder wrote:

1. It would not override a solid block since this block would not (and can not) be a solid block (try it in-game, there is just empty air with a flag)
2. Use only the nearest flag
3. No they don't need to be connected

IMO little Schwertspize is talking bullshit AGAIN, a simple center-entity + config option for radius is sufficient

I think I found a solution both parties should be okay with smile
https://i.imgur.com/hayz3HY.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GEFzdo3.png is the simplest and straight forward way for mappers to create capture points with a set range.
This and more is all found in my latest release. patchnotes are on github.

Well that was quick!

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Hey MuffinMario!
I wrote you a PM, just in case you didn't notice the barely noticeable notification.

10 (edited by twpl 2019-01-01 17:07:45)

I really like ConQuest. It has potential to be a popular mod. I would go as far as to say that the Teeworlds main devs should make this a new official gamemode and add some nice graphics for the capturings. smile

Some suggestions:

• In case the capturing is already taken by the other team, it should be dismantled first (in my opinion). For example Red -> Neutral -> Blue while each '->' represents one of the usual capture processes.

• iCQ (not the messenger, Instagib!) and gCQ (Grenade) would be nice to have.

• Option for setting the respawn delay. I don't think it's possible with the normal Teeworlds config but correct me if I'm wrong (I can only find sv_respawn_delay_tdm in the server settings documentation).

• For larger maps (and more players) I think it would be better to have the win condition to capture all the rings on the map instead.

• I was also thinking of turning this into a DotA-style game with three lanes (top, middle, bottom) and capturings would have to be taken sequentially, for each lane respectively. And since 0.7 allows so many players, we can also let the AI spawn in groups of two on each lane. But the AI part probably exceeds the scope of ConQuest and what you want it to be. Maybe as a fork. tongue

Thank you for developing it and sharing the source code. I'm currently hosting the CTF5 server for this modification.

twpl wrote:

I really like ConQuest. It has potential to be a popular mod. I would go as far as to say that the Teeworlds main devs should make this a new official gamemode and add some nice graphics for the capturings. smile

Thank you for developing it and sharing the source code. I'm currently hosting the CTF5 server for this modification.

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it!

In case the capturing is already taken by the other team, it should be dismantled first (in my opinion). For example Red -> Neutral -> Blue while each '->' represents one of the usual capture processes.

I've tried working with this, but for a game like Teeworlds this is usually way too slow in comparison to taking the points. Maybe later I will add a sv_command for this.

iCQ (not the messenger, Instagib!) and gCQ (Grenade) would be nice to have.

I already thought about that. Instagib would totally fit into it! I am not so certain about Grenade though, since its really just about spamming onto the point and I think the fun will disappear. I'll look further into creating an instagib type mode for this big_smile

Option for setting the respawn delay. I don't think it's possible with the normal Teeworlds config but correct me if I'm wrong (I can only find sv_respawn_delay_tdm in the server settings documentation).

Definitely something I forgot. It's really good on smaller maps since you can basically just rush to the point 24/7

For larger maps (and more players) I think it would be better to have the win condition to capture all the rings on the map instead.

Nope. I'm totally against the idea of that. It's less about capturing a point and more about running in circles.

I was also thinking of turning this into a DotA-style game with three lanes (top, middle, bottom) and capturings would have to be taken sequentially, for each lane respectively. And since 0.7 allows so many players, we can also let the AI spawn in groups of two on each lane. But the AI part probably exceeds the scope of ConQuest and what you want it to be. Maybe as a fork. tongue

I don't think this is a good idea if you ask me. And also that's personally too much work for me smile

twpl wrote:
  • iCQ (not the messenger, Instagib!) and gCQ (Grenade) would be nice to have.

• Option for setting the respawn delay. I don't think it's possible with the normal Teeworlds config but correct me if I'm wrong (I can only find sv_respawn_delay_tdm in the server settings documentation).

The newest version now contains these 2 features. Check the patchlogs on my github/releases for more information!