Topic: Upcoming 0.7.1

Hello tees,

The 0.7.1 release is scheduled to next weekend. The final milestone has been set.
With this, we will move on from the experimental 0.7.0 to a stable version. Official binaries downloads for all major systems will be set up here and on Steam.

A lot of contributions have been made after initial release, helping to fix major flaws, and doing a lot of work on the UI and menus. The server browser and the scoreboard have been greatly revamped thanks to oy, SushiTee, Zatline and many others.
A few compatibility-breaking changes are planned, so backward compatibility will be broken and server and clients will have to be updated from the experimental 0.7.0 and will be advised to do so.

The deadline for translations on Transifex is set to Friday evening. Those close to completion and without any major issues will be included. We are happy to announce two new languages already made it, Lithuanian and Gaelic Scottish.

Thank you to all the contributors on Github and Transifex.
Cheers!

Not Luck, Just Magic.

2 (edited by Ryozuki 2018-12-03 15:12:55)

Re: Upcoming 0.7.1

Will there finally be a "Quick Match" main-menu item, like every modern multiplayer/esport title has?
I don't want to bother with flooded servers browsers in 2018 at all.

Anyway, keep up the hard work. Maybe you can really rocket the game to the current century. I would appreciate it.
Just try not to retain the holy KISS all the time, and give the game some modern love.
Sometimes more is less.

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Will there finally be a "Quick Match" main-menu item, like every modern multiplayer/esport title has?
I don't want to bother with flooded servers browsers in 2018 at all.

Anyway, keep up the hard work. Maybe you can really rocket the game to the current century. I would appreciate it.
Just try not to retain the holy KISS all the time, and give the game some modern love.
Sometimes more is less.

Here's my personal view on this: A "Quick Match" main menu is on my favorite list alongside some others, and shouldn't actually be that hard to implement. There was an issue on github and some internal discussion. The problem is that between the mockups, the design discussions, the actual development, and the testing/adjustments, I think it would take around three weeks.

For now, my personal feeling is that we have been focusing on major flaws and stuff that requires a protocol change. 0.7.0 was released in a very experimental, unready state, and we need to move on to a release that we can actually publish on Steam and on here. This would probably the #1 thing I'm looking forward to in 0.7.2, but I don't think it can make it to 0.7.1. Thankfully, nothing holds us back from making more frequent releases, after all 0.7 was released only ~ a month ago.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

5 (edited by Slayer *gV* 2018-11-21 13:25:46)

After all I am very curious if this works out at all. There is so much work to do, and as is known code rottens very fast.
It is a huge task to bump this game to modern architectures and game design strategies after such a long break.
In the past, many VERY good ideas were rationalized away for not following the Teeworlds-KISS(TM) principle (hello Oy and magnet) roll. And I am certain that you won't reach todays players without revamping the game at its core AND its feature (especially UX).

Just do not take this game as finished and do not be afraid to dump this game down. With a shorter release cycle comes the possibility to try some cool things out and eventually drop them again.

Whatever may come, I bow down for your hard work and wish you all the best. cool

Damn, you guys work so hard on this game. yikes
Keep it up. You're amazing. smile

Long as the voice inside me says go
I will always keep on running!

Slayer *gV* wrote:

After all I am very curious if this works out at all. There is so much work to do, and as is known code rottens very fast.
It is a huge task to bump this game to modern architectures and game design strategies after such a long break.
In the past, many VERY good ideas were rationalized away for not following the Teeworlds-KISS(TM) principle (hello Oy and magnet) :rolleyes:. And I am certain that you won't reach todays players without revamping the game at its core AND its feature (especially UX).

You would be surprised. Coincidentally, Magnet and Oy are the two people who were talking about getting this quick match page done 5 years ago (https://github.com/teeworlds/teeworlds/issues/1051)

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Just do not take this game as finished and do not be afraid to dump this game down. With a shorter release cycle comes the possibility to try some cool things out and eventually drop them again.

Whatever may come, I bow down for your hard work and wish you all the best. :cool:

I like that view on things. I want to try cool stuff too :)

Not Luck, Just Magic.

For anyone wondering, we're having some delay mostly due to trouble with the mac release.

Not Luck, Just Magic.