1 (edited by Baklava 2015-12-28 12:36:20)

Topic: Why is ping shown in F1 console higher than ping shown in scoreboard?

Whenever I type `ping` in F1 console, it shows ping that's about 20ms higher than the ping I see in the scoreboard. Is this normal?

PS: official client v0.6.3

Meuhmeuhmeuh xD

Re: Why is ping shown in F1 console higher than ping shown in scoreboard?

Baklava wrote:

Whenever I type `ping` in F1 console, it shows ping that's about 20ms higher than the ping I see in the scoreboard. Is this normal?

PS: official client v0.6.3

It uses a protocol other than the one used by the scoreboard. Dunno why there's a difference.

3 (edited by [pieLover] 2015-12-28 17:16:39)

20ms higher? for me, it shows 110 to 180 when i have a solid 50ms on the scoreboard. isnt scoreboard ping updated server-side, but f1 ping client-side?

Clan: Riot (I'm one of three leaders: Mile, Deku, pie)
Host teeworlds maps on a fng/ctf/dm/ddrace server for testing:http://riotproductions.tk/teewo/ broken-need reinstall nginx http://riotproductions.tk/bounce?whatEven, Teeworlds NA Discord chat

The f1 console sends a message to the server and waits for a response from the server. (MSG_PING and MSG_PING_REPLY)

It seems that the high results are because these messages are sent without MSGFLAG_FLUSH. (So both the message and the reply from the server are delayed until other messages with the flush flag are ready to be sent).

The scoreboard ping seems to calculate ping using a different method, using several samples (instead of just one like the console ping), and seems accurate.

The real ping is from the server list menu, which is also different from the scoreboard ping. The scoreboard ping also takes into account your monitor's response rate. You can test this by turning v-sync on with low FPS/Hz and see your ping go up on the scoreboard.

Pathos wrote:

The real ping is from the server list menu, which is also different from the scoreboard ping. The scoreboard ping also takes into account your monitor's response rate. You can test this by turning v-sync on with low FPS/Hz and see your ping go up on the scoreboard.

"The real ping". With vsync enabled, I think the pings in the serverbrowser are also multiples of screen refresh intervals.

heinrich5991 wrote:
Pathos wrote:

"The real ping". With vsync enabled, I think the pings in the serverbrowser are also multiples of screen refresh intervals.

I was unable to reproduce the result about screen refresh rate/FPS affecting the server browser ping. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong. Of course, it still affected the scoreboard ping.

8 (edited by Ryozuki 2016-01-09 20:14:53)

I press control shift +d (i use ddnet client, i think teeworlds also have it) and there it shows a realtime ping.

Lies.

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Proudly verkeckt since 2010.

-- F1:
  NETMSG_PING - Not flushed and not vital
  NETMSG_PING_REPLY - Not flushed and not vital

NOT REAL PING

-- Servers List:
  Receive/Send more info than time... this cause that the packet travel a bit slow...

AN APROXIMATION OF PING...

-- Scoreboard:
  Latency used for prediction calcs...

PERHAPS THE BEST INDICATOR OF NETWORK STATUS?