Topic: Higher demand for Korean and Japanese Teeworlds

Community has been growing in the Korean and Japanese scene. Japanese community grew by at least twice as large.

The game has already been translated, just need the fonts implemented as far as I know.

Please do so.

Re: Higher demand for Korean and Japanese Teeworlds

Sounds good

*** JUSTICE ALWAYS WINS ***

Find a free font with all the characters they need.

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

4 (edited by yemDX 2016-01-31 03:28:29)

Sushi Tee wrote:

Find a free font with all the characters they need.

No idea about Korean, can't understand a bit of it, but here's IPA Mincho for Japanese: http://ipafont.ipa.go.jp/#en

And the license: http://ipafont.ipa.go.jp/ipa_font_licen … LicenceEng

Ex-King of Teeworlds

tried the fonts. korean signs are not working and the fonts are not really fitting tw.

teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

6 (edited by Pathos 2016-01-31 20:11:26)

Sushi Tee wrote:

tried the fonts. korean signs are not working and the fonts are not really fitting tw.

You tried the font given by yem?

DDNet somewhat implemented Korean/Japanese fonts in their beta versions. Korean works, but it needs a small fix. I can type Japanese, but it crashes DD. (Arabic is written backwards and isn't connected, therefore unreadable.)

Also, there's a Japanese Teeworlds, but it's version 0,60 or 0,61. You can see it here:
http://www53.atwiki.jp/teeworlds_jp/pages/47.html
I have no idea who created it. I tried asking around briefly without any luck. I'll keep trying.

Korean seems like an interesting problem. Korean language is phonetic, similar to western languages, but the only difference is that Korean bunches a syllable as one composition of letters, but DD isn't able to bunch them. For easier analogy, in Spanish, you have to press the accent key then press a vowel, thus forming the composition. Here's an example:
Spanish: a + ´ = á
Korean: ㄱ + ㅏ = 가
But Korean can have much bigger compositions, up to 5 letters in one composition.

Good luck with implementing it x)
Would be interesting to have more asian players around big_smile

Teeworlds [ friends ] clan
Some YouTube Stuff about Teeworlds

jxsl13 wrote:

Would be interesting to have more asian players around big_smile

Yeah, lets spam the chat with asian letters

I will be banned if I troll again ...

私たちは日本が大好きです

Teeworlds [ friends ] clan
Some YouTube Stuff about Teeworlds

I will take a look for Arabic support, at least for the display part (without support of input).

11 (edited by Sushi Tee 2016-02-01 00:45:38)

Pathos wrote:

You tried the font given by yem?

DDNet somewhat implemented Korean/Japanese fonts in their beta versions. Korean works, but it needs a small fix. I can type Japanese, but it crashes DD. (Arabic is written backwards and isn't connected, therefore unreadable.)

Also, there's a Japanese Teeworlds, but it's version 0,60 or 0,61. You can see it here:
http://www53.atwiki.jp/teeworlds_jp/pages/47.html
I have no idea who created it. I tried asking around briefly without any luck. I'll keep trying.

Korean seems like an interesting problem. Korean language is phonetic, similar to western languages, but the only difference is that Korean bunches a syllable as one composition of letters, but DD isn't able to bunch them. For easier analogy, in Spanish, you have to press the accent key then press a vowel, thus forming the composition. Here's an example:
Spanish: a + ´ = á
Korean: ㄱ + ㅏ = 가
But Korean can have much bigger compositions, up to 5 letters in one composition.

It is pretty normal that you have to press more than one key for one letter. I'm not even sure if this is even handled by the game itself.
I'm just talking about the fonts containing the characters. The fonts posted here can render japanese characters (tried with 寿司 (sushi)) but cannot render korean characters (tried with 초밥 (sushi)). I simply pasted it directly into my config file and tried to display it ingame using the fonts.

I don't know anything about a font from yem.

Teeworlds needs some fallback system for characters. It uses a default font for everything and if one character cannot be rendered it tries another font wgucg night be not as beautiful but is ok for the one character...

*gV* rox ^^

The problem is not only the font, but also the way to render text. There is no support for ligature or advanced features. A solution could be to use Pango, but then the rendering part will be slower. Maybe as an option, or a special flavor of TW ?

But is slower.

I think everyone can afford that little cost at cpu if it runs on my 2 years old laptop with 500fps.

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

Nope, not everyone can.

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Proudly verkeckt since 2010.

xush wrote:

Nope, not everyone can.

Do you have data? Test rendering in Teeworlds is done in an inefficient way today. smile

Schwertspize wrote:

But is slower.

I think everyone can afford that little cost at cpu if it runs on my 2 years old laptop with 500fps.

"old" is for you = 2014? Hahaha, this is not old!
Old = 10 years and more, tee please!

I will be banned if I troll again ...

I don't say old is 2014. I day 2 years old.

(why not add an option?)

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

18 (edited by Netherland 2016-02-02 01:15:48)

Schwertspize wrote:

But is slower.

Intel Core i7-4710HQ
GeForce GT840M
12GB RAM

FPS <60 (CBA to test accurately, but it feels like that, atleast on Windows 8(.1), 7 has less horrible FPS)

I'd rather not use the slightest amount of CPU capacity to render fonts I won't ever use, want to use or want to see.
In every instance I know asian and euromerican servers are splitted.
Why?

Because asian and latin fonts don't mix. at all.

privet

850MHz dualcore here with 2gb RAM. 100+ FPS most of the time, other apps like an editor or youtube running in the background permanently.
Im using Linux Mint Debian Edition just in case someone is wondering.

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Proudly verkeckt since 2010.

Sushi Tee wrote:

There are no Korean signs in that font, it is for Japanese only, as I said in my post. Korean and Japanese will absolutely require different fonts, so ask for Korean ones. And what do you mean by not fitting Teeworlds? The style of them, or something else? When it comes to Japanese/Chinese fonts, which have thousands of characters, your options are limited, especially if you only want free fonts. I am not sure you will be able to find a font that fits Teeworlds, that is free, and supports all Japanese characters. Korean may be easier, since it has less characters (as far as I am aware).

Ex-King of Teeworlds

I know of someone that's trying to make TW run on PowerPC, which, if I remember correctly, is from the '90s.

With that out of the way, this part was rather humorous:

Netherland wrote:

I'd rather not use the slightest amount of CPU capacity to render fonts I won't ever use, want to use or want to see.

Because you use Cyrillic alphabet, Germanic accents, Romance accents altogether yes? Oh right, and Polish alphabets too! Wait, what about Hungarian, with double accented alphabets?

Well, with both out of the way, the fact that there is some defense towards not implementing more languages, that's how we know there is no hope.

22 (edited by Netherland 2016-02-03 23:36:58)

Pathos wrote:

Because you use Cyrillic alphabet, Germanic accents, Romance accents altogether yes? Oh right, and Polish alphabets too! Wait, what about Hungarian, with double accented alphabets?

I wouldn't mind at all if the Cryillic alphabet was removed, Germanic accents are part of the latin alphabet, so they are fine.
The Polish language is made of latin characters, and so is Hungarian.
And you are forgetting a whole lot of useless characters that are included in the current font (DejaVu Sans), for example Tifinagh, Canadian syllabics, Braille and about every dingbat in existance.
I wouldn't mind if Armenian and Greek would be removed aswell.

There are a few hunderend times more characters in asian languages than in latin languages, so lets add another completely useless (for 98% of the players) and huge character set.

What is humorous about my decision not wanting to waste any resources at all to something I will never ever use?
That being said, there are already clients out there capable of showing asian languages, lets keep it at being optional.

//edit: the accents and whatever not are part of the combining characters, which constist of just a few characters, not very resource intensive.

privet

Netherland wrote:
Pathos wrote:

I wouldn't mind at all if the Cryillic alphabet was removed, Germanic accents are part of the latin alphabet, so they are fine.
The Polish language is made of latin characters, and so is Hungarian.
And you are forgetting a whole lot of useless characters that are included in the current font (DejaVu Sans), for example Tifinagh, Canadian syllabics, Braille and about every dingbat in existance.
I wouldn't mind if Armenian and Greek would be removed aswell.

There are a few hunderend times more characters in asian languages than in latin languages, so lets add another completely useless (for 98% of the players) and huge character set.

What is humorous about my decision not wanting to waste any resources at all to something I will never ever use?
That being said, there are already clients out there capable of showing asian languages, lets keep it at being optional.

//edit: the accents and whatever not are part of the combining characters, which constist of just a few characters, not very resource intensive.

You're completely right. While we're at it, let's remove features that the majority of the players don't use, it's just wasting space on our hard drives. Get rid of the OSX version. Remove all resolution options not 16:9... no, actually remove all graphics options altogether, majority of players can run Teeworlds at 60 FPS. If you can't run Teeworlds at 1920x1080 60fps highest graphics options enabled, tough shit. Remove the translations too, majority of players play with English. That was sarcasm, by the way; you're an idiot.

Back on topic: If memory usage is such a problem, just do what TeeComp did and let the user select fonts. It's in SushiPack, too. Just add the Japanese / Korean font as an option to select. Alternatively, and preferably, I'd like for Teeworlds to automatically detect what language a chat message is written in, and change the font accordingly for that one chat message. Would be annoying to be switching back and forth between fonts if you frequent both Korean and Japanese servers, for example.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

It's kind of amazing what you get to read on the internet hahaaa

I'd say we go with an opt-out approach for those who think inclusion makes the game too much resource-consuming

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

25 (edited by Pathos 2016-02-04 00:38:43)

Latin

Since Korean and Japanese are so memory intensive, there must've not been computers existing with '80s technology in Korea and Japan. So you're using a computer that's from the '70s eh? Haha this technology is older than me!

Having options is always the best--downloading languages, features, options, etc. like plug-ins!

(IRC chat plug-in, music player plug-in, voice chat plug-in, so many possibilities!)