1 (edited by deen 2015-08-25 20:56:40)

Topic: DDraceNetwork on Steam

Following Teeworlds, DDNet is also trying to get released on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =506147661

Some of you may be wondering why DDNet should be released on Steam when we have Teeworlds on it already. Some reasons:

• DDrace + DDrace Block are by far the most popular TW mods. Before the TW Steam release they had most of the players

• Totally different gameplay than Teeworlds. DDNet Client supports this better, predicting DDRace tiles, supporting 64 players, etc.

• Big community around the world, competing and just having fun on our worldwide servers

• Most popular client, even used by many vanilla players

• DDNet has been developed actively in the last 2 years, even adding features for vanilla and other mods: http://ddnet.tw/downloads/ Meanwhile there hasn't been a big Teeworlds update for years

I hope you'll support us to get greenlit on Steam!

Re: DDraceNetwork on Steam

Not sure why you keep vanilla compability then.

I think new players should discover DDNet by playing teeworlds, just be patient until they find it.

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Proudly verkeckt since 2010.

xush wrote:

Not sure why you keep vanilla compability then.

I think new players should discover DDNet by playing teeworlds, just be patient until they find it.

this. why should there be a tw mod on steam?

I don't play DD, but I think DD should take over the official TW. I don't know if having both TW and DD is good or bad, but it's worth a try.

1. By far, DD has the most players and TW is dominated by DD.
2. Much healthier activity and new content on DD forums compared to the official one.
3. DD client does vanilla better than the vanilla client.
4. DD client has better optimization and fixes (still needs work--that's how bad the vanilla client is).
5. Actually has cash flow with weekly tournaments and is the only community, out of unlimited possible amount of mods. And for 2015, all of donation goals are already met for hosting servers, meaning it can easily be expanded and grow.
6. So much more dev activity.

So it has a secure player base, healthier activity from devs to the community, and offers more (not all) features/fixes/optimizations some of which are sorely needed. If anything, it's the vanilla client that should be a mod or a side project to the DD.

sad still dont like the idea of ddnet being on steam instead of the official tw client.
but i guess if you view it objectively, that would be the proper cause of action.
actions are more worth than words. (german idiom)

Cpt_baby wrote:

sad still dont like the idea of ddnet being on steam instead of the official tw client.
but i guess if you view it objectively, that would be the proper cause of action.
actions are more worth than words. (german idiom)

It's not there instead of the official client, it's proposed as completely separated from the official client.

7 (edited by Dr.Dre 2015-08-26 17:28:40)

I play DDRace often but I have always used the original Teeworlds client, I don't understand why you would want to add a different client when the only thing you have to do is uncheck 2 filters.

The only reason to use DDNet client, in my opinion, is for the editor, skins (which could be added to the teeworlds client manually anyway) and a nicer layout.

I love DDNetwork and I think the client is nice, but I see no point of getting it greenlit.

I don't project my insecurities on other people.

divide and conquer...
Xush mentioned it already and i can only support his statement. The mod will be found by playing TW, there is no need to push this too. The right choice would be to support the devs now to improve TW as far as it can go. DDnet would flourish with it too. don't you think?

It should be seperated from Teeworlds completely and go its own way.

Remember the 80s - good times smile

It still relies on Teeworlds masterservers though afaik

Not Luck, Just Magic.

why haven't you submited you client BEFORE the original Teeworlds had got submited?
I find it pointless to have the same game poster 2 times on Steam simply because why not.

And i do thnk ddnet is the most usefull client there is, its the one I use, but it is not needed on Steam.

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

12 (edited by Fifi 2015-08-29 19:51:27)

For all those of you, who don't get why DDNet should be released on Steam too
Teeworlds player base greatly increased when it got released there. But DDRaceNetwork playerbase didn't:
http://ddnet.tw/stats/

I wish the people could notice the modded servers, but it seems that it's a nontrivial task for many of them to notice and uncheck those 2 filters. Just the same way as "extracting a zip file is a non-trivial task for many people", which was a valid point when we discussed Teeworlds release on Steam.

You also have to remember that Steam players have tons of games and they are not so much into launching Teeworlds and spending a few minutes configuring it and checking all menus. They are used to launching a game and just playing, so it's very likely that they may never find out about mods, which would be really bad (personally, I would like to see some kind of big button pointing to mods servers tongue which would also separate them more).

And moreover, tons of DDNet players (which were the vast majority of Teeworlds players at the time) helped the original game to get on Steam, so please help us too. ^^

oh, but fifi, mods are evil.

Oy wrote:

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

14 (edited by Fifi 2015-08-29 20:13:32)

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

oh, but fifi, mods are evil.

Oy wrote:

In such case, allowing DDNet to get on Steam and go its way is the simplest way to do it. I would add that vanilla client mod-button too, though.

About why we haven't submitted it before - I'm not sure, but deen probably didn't want to steal players, as the Teeworlds release on Steam was important for the vanilla revival to take place. smile

Fifi wrote:

For all those of you, who don't get why DDNet should be released on Steam too
Teeworlds player base greatly increased when it got released there. But DDRaceNetwork playerbase didn't:
http://ddnet.tw/stats/

I wish the people could notice the modded servers, but it seems that it's a nontrivial task for many of them to notice and uncheck those 2 filters. Just the same way as "extracting a zip file is a non-trivial task for many people", which was a valid point when we discussed Teeworlds release on Steam.

You also have to remember that Steam players have tons of games and they are not so much into launching Teeworlds and spending a few minutes configuring it and checking all menus. They are used to launching a game and just playing, so it's very likely that they may never find out about mods, which would be really bad (personally, I would like to see some kind of big button pointing to mods servers tongue which would also separate them more).

And moreover, tons of DDNet players (which were the vast majority of Teeworlds players at the time) helped the original game to get on Steam, so please help us too. ^^

It's completely obnoxious to release some modded client as a stand-alone game on steam.
I am fully disgusted at this action, it's completely unneeded.
It might (is) be true that DDRace is the best mod, has the most frequent updates and all that marketing bs.
However, it is fully build upon Teeworlds. It is exactly the same game.

New players won't enjoy playing DDRace, because they suck hard at it, so it's not even useless to post it on steam, it will very likely even scare away genuine new players.

Don't get me wrong, I do support DDRace but the steam release is just completely wrong. just wrong.

Fifi wrote:

not so much into launching Teeworlds and spending a few minutes configuring it and checking all menus.

Yeah. because DDRace is just "Join and Play", especially for those new players.
You can't start with DDrace, too hard for new players to learn how the game works.

I hope this doesn't make it through greenlight.
But again I say, I do like DDRace (but can't play it because of clientside rubberbanding-ish. really destroys DDrace sad).

(Quickly written)

privet

Fifi, that's an interesting idea you've got there. Instead of the "Internet" tab, there could be a "vanilla" and "mods" tab. Or within the Internet tab, just seperate it into two halves.
That would seperate vanilla better from mods while also making the existence of mods a bit more obvious.

Loving TW since 2010 smile

17 (edited by Deepfinder 2015-08-29 20:47:08)

JonastheRoman wrote:

Fifi, that's an interesting idea you've got there. Instead of the "Internet" tab, there could be a "vanilla" and "mods" tab. Or within the Internet tab, just seperate it into two halves.
That would seperate vanilla better from mods while also making the existence of mods a bit more obvious.

This is already done in 0.7

I will be banned if I troll again ...

Deepfinder wrote:

This is already done in 0.7

Oh really? Nice. Was a while since I last looked into the trunk version.
I just did a mock-up which I wanted to post here. Doin' it anyway. big_smile

http://i.imgur.com/V6ZelTM.jpg?1

Netherland wrote:
Fifi wrote:

not so much into launching Teeworlds and spending a few minutes configuring it and checking all menus.

Yeah. because DDRace is just "Join and Play", especially for those new players.
You can't start with DDrace, too hard for new players to learn how the game works.

Easy DDRace maps are not so hard, many of my friends started playing Teeworlds from DDRace and it worked well. If it'll get greenlit, we will create a tutorial and help new players (DDNet Client already points to Novice servers at a first start).

Yep, the separation is done in 0.7, but it'll probably take a long time before 0.7 get released, so I'll be really happy if somebody could add this one feature to 0.6...

20 (edited by Netherland 2015-08-29 23:55:57)

Fifi wrote:

Easy DDRace maps are not so hard

Have you seen new players in CTF5?
For most of the new players getting around CTF5 is even hard.
Also, some maps have freeze tiles in the beginning, new players don't know how to suicide and will just disconnect (or spectate-rejoin and thus lose his motivation really quickly, takes too long for nothing).

Fifi wrote:

many of my friends started playing Teeworlds from DDRace and it worked well. If it'll get greenlit, we will create a tutorial and help new players (DDNet Client already points to Novice servers at a first start).

This is because you are there personally helping them, they are friends of you.
I bet a lot of new players will give up very fast, nobody is there to motivate them to complete it.

DDRace is just a slightly too steep learning curve, especially when playing alone for the first time.
If you have friends with you, sure, start learning teeworlds on DDRace, it'll be somewhat hard but it'll be doable.

privet

21 (edited by Fifi 2015-08-29 21:31:47)

It's true, but that's why we'll create the tutorials. And besides that, the chat is always available.

Fifi wrote:

It's true, but that's why we'll create the tutorials. And besides that, the chat is always available.

I hope the tutorials will be implemented in the client (running a local server with a special map, and since DDClient is capable of having sounds in the map,you could possibly use those for commentating/narrating/explaining). If done correctly and easy to understand, it will definatly help out a lot.

privet

Fifi wrote:

To be honest I didn't even know how to use the chat in the first days. smile I also think Novice maps could be easier for total newbies, because I even have problems playing them today, although I am already a vanilla veteran.
So yeah, a properly implemented tutorial should definitely be created, if this gets greenlit.

I've tried to play DDRace server with the official DDRace Android client, for like 5 times already. So I reach that black ninja tile, and weapons don't work, moving doesn't work, rope doesn't work, I'm totally stuck, I cannot even suicide. How the hell can people enjoy DDrace? Are they know each level and all black tiles by heart ? Some levels have you literally surrounded with that, with only one small hole at the top.

Sometimes I ask that, too. I'm really too clumsy for DDRace. But playing Teeworlds on Android is generally much harder!