1 (edited by odgs 2015-07-02 17:23:02)

Topic: Server Hosting, first day is free

Hello,

We are starting a new project and I think it might work great with teeworlds : server rental by the hour.

Contrary to other server providers, you don't have to rent the server for a whole month, you can choose to rent it for one hour (at least). And to be able to test the service, the first hour is free.

As teeworlds (for me) is great to do a break at work, you can rent a server for example for that break and you will get it free smile you will have to pay if you want more than one hour straight though.

Of course you have full control over the server (config, maps, ftp access).

The process to rent a server is pretty simple : create an account on https://ondemand.dedikewl.fr/ , click on "New server", choose teeworlds as the game to install on the server and in the following seconds (yes really) your server will be ready with admin password, FTP access, ...

We are interested in any of your feedbacks smile

Re: Server Hosting, first day is free

SSH commands? What if I want to install a mod, for example Teerace, that requires automatic downloading of maps and demo uploads?

Is France the only available location?

Hello,

No, SSH is not authorized, too much security risks. You can install maps but for mod, as it needs to replace the main binary (if I'm not wrong?), we can't let user change that also for security risks.

We could let the user choose what mod they want from the server control panel though. But we need to know what mods are the most wanted to integrate them directly in the control panel the deploy the binaries ourselves.

Yes for now all servers are in France. If all works out well, we will expand to other locations smile

Nice idea! I think the most wanted (as in played) mods are (in descending order):
- DDRace
- openFng
- zCatch
- infection
- Race
(- mabe also instagib, although it is not quite as popular anymore, it still is a standard mod, which would be nice to have. Same with Survival maybe.)

Loving TW since 2010 smile

I've added mod support : you can now enable DDRace, OpenFNG, infection and Race from the server control panel.

I'm not really familiar with mods in teeworlds so I hope I've done things right wink

And now, the first day is free instead of the first hour, so that should be enough for full night playing teeworlds wink

You may want to edit the title.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

8 (edited by [pieLover] 2015-07-04 09:17:27)

Whoa, that supports a lot of games and gamemodes. But I dont see why someone should have to (or want to) pay for this.. good job though! good luck in the rat race, as i will update my hosting thing to compete with you for free ;D

Clan: Riot (I'm one of three leaders: Mile, Deku, pie)
Host teeworlds maps on a fng/ctf/dm/ddrace server for testing:http://riotproductions.tk/teewo/ broken-need reinstall nginx http://riotproductions.tk/bounce?whatEven, Teeworlds NA Discord chat

pielover88888 wrote:

Whoa, that supports a lot of games and gamemodes. But I dont see why someone should have to (or want to) pay for this..

Because hosting a server costs money?

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Each month    10 €

I think you may reconsider your offer, This is really too expensive. It's possible to find good server for 1€ per month.
And, hosting a teeworlds server does not cost that much anyway.

11 (edited by [pieLover] 2015-07-05 21:35:02)

Dune wrote:
pielover88888 wrote:

Whoa, that supports a lot of games and gamemodes. But I dont see why someone should have to (or want to) pay for this..

Because hosting a server costs money?

My server costs $5 USD a month, and can run more than 15 teeworlds servers. asking for any reasonably-paypalled (it's a verb now lol) amount of money would be insane and wrong.

Clan: Riot (I'm one of three leaders: Mile, Deku, pie)
Host teeworlds maps on a fng/ctf/dm/ddrace server for testing:http://riotproductions.tk/teewo/ broken-need reinstall nginx http://riotproductions.tk/bounce?whatEven, Teeworlds NA Discord chat

rand() wrote:

Each month    10 €

I think you may reconsider your offer, This is really too expensive. It's possible to find good server for 1€ per month.
And, hosting a teeworlds server does not cost that much anyway.

You have to pay for the connection, hardware maybe 1€ that could fit but if you want a good connection 1€ isn't enough for the hosters most time

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and benchmarks.

fallen.kn wrote:

You have to pay for the connection, hardware maybe 1€ that could fit but if you want a good connection 1€ isn't enough for the hosters most time

cf pielover88888's post

A hoster doesn't rent its server, he rents some processes on the server. He is not supposed to rent one game server more costly than the renting of the server itself.

Nice! Can you upload maps? smile

Hey - I am TheAnister! I host server's and do a bit of programming here and there.