Topic: Some etiquette for clanwars/funwars/pr0wars/whateveryoucallit

So you are a 'pro' player who wants to
- join some server,
- play clanwar/funwar with your 'pro' peers,
- kick random noobs once they join,
- move those noobs to spec,
- or politely ask those noobs to spec (before you kick them of course)?

Then please practice your pro stuff on a server that is
- private (not registered within the master servers),
- public but password-protected,
- not password-protected but clearly mentions that it is hosted for clan wars (in its name or MOTD)

... because
- public servers are supposed to be 'public',
- those noobs (including me) don't give a flying squirrel about your pro stuff,
- those noobs don't want to see private servers that are disguised as public servers in their server browsers,
- those noobs will develop negative impression about Teeworlds (which is something you don't care about anyway).

But if you still insist on practicing your pro stuff on public servers, for any reason like
- you and all of your pro peers don't have enogh money to host a private server,
- nobody is willing to host a private server for you and your pro peers,
- and port forwarding is beyond the capabilities of you and your pro peers all together

... then please remember when you practice your pro stuff on public servers that
- you don't own the server you are playing on,
- you are not the only person on this planet.

PS:
This rambling represents my own point of view. If you think some of this stuff has double meanings, you are wrong. Sentences that look like orders are not. Don't make assumptions!

Meuhmeuhmeuh xD

2 (edited by Kirbs 2015-01-19 16:37:55)

Re: Some etiquette for clanwars/funwars/pr0wars/whateveryoucallit

Having been in some clanwars of a type, yes this is good etiquette big_smile

Even if it is just your own point of view it is true in this meaning. (I wish the clan I'm in fought with clans that used these rules wink)

(I always just assume that the reason that my clan and the clan we're against plays on their own public server is because they don't feel like giving everybody passwords.. But then, passwords are changeable ofcourse, but I think they are too lazy/dunnohow to do that roll) (Or they don't have the cfg file??? What!?!? xD)

no

Agree. Everytime I get motivated to play some Vanilla Teeworlds, I either end up on an overcrowded ctf5 server or a capgame I will never be able to play on.
A few months ago I found an open ctf3 server, and people shortly after asked me to "spec plz".
This is very demotivating.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

every time i want to play openfng i see some noobs on one server who just vote me after join.
i dont want to say you are wrong but you arent right too there are 2 point of views every time.
most time the noobs uses wrong server for example join a 3v3 server and want to do a 1v1.
so the war is endless : noobs vote pros & pros vote noobs ...

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and benchmarks.

fallen.kn wrote:

every time i want to play openfng i see some noobs on one server who just vote me after join.
i dont want to say you are wrong but you arent right too there are 2 point of views every time.
most time the noobs uses wrong server for example join a 3v3 server and want to do a 1v1.
so the war is endless : noobs vote pros & pros vote noobs ...

Well, no. There are people with bad manners who kick you. This doesn't depend on their skill level.

6 (edited by Soup 2015-01-20 22:59:08)

I totally agree with you Baklava, but I'm sure noone will stick to these rules...
Anyway there are simple methods to avoid these problems:
If you want to participate in a funwar, you have to simply join a midlevel clan(be nice and active and you have good chances to be taken).
If you want to play capgames you mustn't be a random player for them (be active again!)
There's no need to be a pro, midlevel is enough normally.
And if you just want to avoid such things: Don't play on clanservers(most of the fws/cgs are on clanservers!)

Well said Baklava, i can only sign that

Magnet had an idea regarding "capgames" which was very interesting, but sadly never got really implemented into the standards of todays game play. Anyway, i might start something to revive that idea and maybe the attitude will change.
More to come soon, first i have to find that very very old post of his smile

heinrich5991 wrote:

Well, no. There are people with bad manners who kick you. This doesn't depend on their skill level.

nope look at these screens :
http://i.imgur.com/abLXcO4.png
http://i.imgur.com/2UPtnTe.png

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and benchmarks.

fallen.kn wrote:
heinrich5991 wrote:

nope look at these screens :
http://i.imgur.com/abLXcO4.png
http://i.imgur.com/2UPtnTe.png

No, I'll continue to say. There are people with bad manners who kick you. This doesn't depend on their skill level.

10 (edited by Pathos 2015-02-12 19:46:17)

I have to strongly disagree.

In case of upcoming semantics, I'll call "organized play" (in short, OP) encompassing all definitions of clan/fun war (CW/FW) and captain's game (CG).

I think having a server private, publicly listed, and/or password protected is not only irrelevant to OP, but enforcing (for a lack of a better word) private servers for OP will surely deaden the OP community. Last time I checked, TW is not the liveliest game in the world.

Mentioning that a server prioritizes OP is somewhat futile, as this is the Internet, with possibilities of many different languages, while not understanding all of them. This can be clearly seen in NA servers, where SA players come and do not understand English and vice versa with Spanish/Portuguese. So then, should we write these "do not enter/beware of dog" signs in every language? However, I find it agreeable that we should develop a codeword that can be easily memorized for anyone, for example putting "high-level play" in the server title and/or in the MOTD so that everyone knows that server will prioritize organized games.

I can't say too much about ownership, but I do think that people who own the servers are connected to the organized game players for the most part, if not all. I know which servers are my own anyway.

You wish to play or do you wish to play with high-level players? Just as it is demotivating for casual players, it is demotivating for high-level players to have/play with/against casual players. To draw an extreme analogy, you simply don't have average people competing in the Olympics. If you just want to play, there are plenty of servers or, bluntly put, plenty of time left in your life to visit the servers another time. Similar to what fallen.kn says, if the players in the server are dominated by beginners, they will kick high-level player(s). They will also likely accuse usage of bot. I'm fine with that (and you should be too), because just as much I want to play with/against players my own skill level, they want to too. That's how we develop this "anti-noob/-pro" stereotype against Chilean players and you know it.

Well, perhaps it's actually the best idea to use Baklava's idea on mentioning something about OP in the server title/MOTD. One thing that will not work is mentioning "pro" because every Chilean think they are the best. Easiness of English words, conciseness, and consistency should be carefully considered, but I think "high-level play" fits the three categories, but does not necessarily imply "organized play" but the word "organized" is probably not understood by everyone.

@baklava well right now i could turn the table, because i've the same problem on public ctf5 srv, just that i get kicked for dumb reasons and not like the most "noobs" who are not able to write 1 sentence in english and are just ignoring what we are saying

and public doesn't mean that the srv is not usable for capgames, the ppl are still allowed to join just that they have to follow some for us common rules what most ppl do not understand

and tbh if you have such problems joining our srvs you should probably get some etiquette, to play on those srv's where we have some structures (e.g to explain what i mean  there is a public footballfield but there are is already a game or they are about to start. would you just go on the field and play without asking if you could play with them? i don't think so)

for myself i can say i never kicked a person who said atleast something after his join or while beeing spec or ingame .. or well rarely cuz sometimes you can't avoid it

anyway i won't defend the scene or myself just wanna give another view  because you are kinda harsh and not even close objective

Jambi* wrote:

@baklava well right now i could turn the table, because i've the same problem on public ctf5 srv, just that i get kicked for dumb reasons and not like the most "noobs" who are not able to write 1 sentence in english and are just ignoring what we are saying

Not only are you able to write 1 sentence in english, but you managed to write the longest sentence ever known to the english language. Well done.

Jambi* wrote:

and public doesn't mean that the srv is not usable for capgames, the ppl are still allowed to join just that they have to follow some for us common rules what most ppl do not understand

Baklava never said that the public servers were off-limit for Cap-games. He is talking about cleaning out the server, to make room for a Capgame. IF the teams are settled, then people should wait and respect the ongoing game.

Jambi* wrote:

and tbh if you have such problems joining our srvs you should probably get some etiquette, to play on those srv's where we have some structures (e.g to explain what i mean  there is a public footballfield but there are is already a game or they are about to start. would you just go on the field and play without asking if you could play with them? i don't think so)

On a public footballfield most people would let strangers join in, no matter how good or bad they are! I doubt they would tell the stranger to get back to ctf5, and call him a noob! Actually, ive never experienced that in my life! And i doubt i will!

Jambi* wrote:

for myself i can say i never kicked a person who said atleast something after his join or while beeing spec or ingame .. or well rarely cuz sometimes you can't avoid it

I would comment this, but i dont understand dafuq you mean!

Jambi* wrote:

anyway i won't defend the scene or myself just wanna give another view  because you are kinda harsh and not even close objective

You are not supposed to defend the scene, you are supposed to contribute. No wonder Vanilla is so rape-fucked!

Shit wrote:

Not only are you able to write 1 sentence in english, but you managed to write the longest sentence ever known to the english language. Well done.

What does English have to do with this topic? You couldn't write your own sentences well, yet you are criticizing others. Reply to what he is saying or say nothing at all.

Shit wrote:

On a public footballfield most people would let strangers join in, no matter how good or bad they are! I doubt they would tell the stranger to get back to ctf5, and call him a noob!

Did you even read what Jambi wrote, or are you just writing blindly? He was saying that anyone is welcome so long as the are respectful and follow the rules.

Shit wrote:

Actually, ive never experienced that in my life! And i doubt i will!

I can only assume you are trying to say because you have never played sports,  besides with yourself.

Shit wrote:

You are not supposed to defend the scene, you are supposed to contribute.

What's wrong with doing either so long as it benefits the scene and there are contributions?

Shit wrote:

No wonder Vanilla is so rape-fucked!

I believe vanilla isn't what is being criticized here; it is the competetive vanilla scene. Or am I wrong? I'll agree that it's plagued from time to time with people like you.

Zgokee wrote:

What does English have to do with this topic? You couldn't write your own sentences well, yet you are criticizing others. Reply to what he is saying or say nothing at all.

I was asking myself the same question when Jambi said....

jambi* wrote:

like the most "noobs" who are not able to write 1 sentence in english and are just ignoring what we are saying

...But you didn't seem to mind when Jambi went off-topic, so i can only assume you undeniable slanted in this topic.

Zgokee wrote:

Did you even read what Jambi wrote, or are you just writing blindly? He was saying that anyone is welcome so long as the are respectful and follow the rules.

First of all, He was talking about the server when he said everyone is welcome! His metaphor on the other hand....

jambi* wrote:

to explain what i mean  there is a public footballfield but there are is already a game or they are about to start. would you just go on the field and play without asking if you could play with them? i don't think so

.....indicates that he was clearly talking about the ongoing game, or the game that was about to start! I guess he didnt have a metaphor about telling people to go "spectate or get kicked"

Zgokee wrote:

I can only assume you are trying to say because you have never played sports,  besides with yourself.

You Can assume as much as you want, but i have played enough sport to know the difference between a public pitch, and a a pitch reserved by a organized team or club

Zgokee wrote:

What's wrong with doing either so long as it benefits the scene and there are contributions?

Its a contribution to the topic, yes!.....still searching for the benefits!

Zgokee wrote:

I believe vanilla isn't what is being criticized here; it is the competetive vanilla scene. Or am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong! We are talking about vanilla in general. And vanilla in general is competetive!
Or do we need a certain amount of skills to be a competetive player? Do we need to play on ctf2?
While we are at it! There is no such thing as a pro teeworlds player. Unless you can make a living out of playing the game.
So what is really the difference between a "pro" and a "noob"
In my eyes, the "pro" spend more time in front of the computer! So next time someone calls a "noob" for a looser, think about who the real looser is!....its not the "noob"

Zgokee wrote:

I'll agree that it's plagued from time to time with people like you.

I think i have contributed in a positive way, founding the biggest community in vanilla, wich is based on the social aspect of the game, and the only true value: Fun!

15 (edited by mivel 2015-03-29 21:19:09)

Might also want to include the possibility of holding practice/upper-tier matches on deserted servers and setting the player limit to how many are supposed to participate. This way if someone joins the server it should be pretty obvious that they'll need to play elsewhere (unless they're not bright enough to realize an ongoing match with all slots filled is probably a closed match).

No need to overcomplicate it with marking servers as 'higher-skilled' or w/e. Tees just need some degree of common sense and courtesy.

There's really nothing else to it. Join an empty server, set the active player limit, and play. If anyone comes in and spams "let me play", mute them. You really only need to kick them if they won't stop trying to vote (which distracts all players participating in the match).

Edit: Also, good job. The list is in tip-top shape. big_smile