Topic: HELP: Training tips/suggesion/maps to become pro.

I play mostly ctf4 on DE servers and better than noobs but obviously lose to PRO players.

My score is less that top PRO by 10% up to 2 times depending on played gamers. But bad on ctf2 and ctf5.

I have good moves, more or less at shotting but very bad at hooking other players and killing while hooking especially by hammer.

I out of any clans/players so ask at forum how to become PRO in order to have more fun from plays.

* how train to hook other player?
* how train to kill by hammer?
* how train to kill by hammer during hooking other player?
* how train to run away with flag when you had hooked by 1-3 enemies?

Also what about hacks/bots? I see many spin-hacks and some times pro gamers so good at hooking + hummer that I think they used autohook/autoshot cheats... Do hacks help in training?

Any training maps? Tips?

I already read FAQ: https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=449

Re: HELP: Training tips/suggesion/maps to become pro.

Rapidfire macro considered as a hack?

Horrible to use pistol & hammer without.

3 (edited by Sonix 2014-09-08 16:40:33)

gavenkoa wrote:

Also what about hacks/bots? I see many spin-hacks and some times pro gamers so good at hooking + hummer that I think they used autohook/autoshot cheats... Do hacks help in training?

Real pro gamers don't use hacks/bots. Those who play with hacks arent considered pros but scum.

Imo all those hacks especially aimbots prevent you from training and improving yourself, you shouldn't use them.

For rapid-fire you can bind +fire to your mousewheel. Well I think gun and hammer should be automatic anyway and I would like to see that in the next version cause it's really annoying to click so fast.

@hammer: You generally use hammer and hook together otherwise you can't reach your enemy. First you can try to hook an enemy and if he's close enough you start hammering, additionally I recommend to rehook your opponent if he's really close to you, which makes it way easier to catch him with hook. So always try to get as close as possible for rehooking.

@flagrunning: well if they already hooked you it's really hard to escape, you can try to hook something distant to get out of them or to jump away with your grenade but the best way is still not to get into such a situation. Therefore you can try to trick your enemies and do something unexpected like taking a longer way or going back to enemies base, on public ctf5 servers for example the enemies base is often more save than yours. In general: Try to be unpredictable !

@spinning: Lots of pros have a really high mousesens and they like spinning their mouse around cause it helps them to aim fast everywhere but they don't hack. To increase your mousesens type into your localconsole (f1): inp_mousesens <number>
100 is default value, 505 is the maximum you can put at the menuscrollbar, you could try 1337 ^^.

Another thing pros do is to bind their weaponhotkeys to keys you can reach very fast/good, I use q, w and e for laser, grenade and shotgun.

One last tip: try not to die with ammunition you should rather use it. You can use the grenadethrower not only for directly shooting at enemies but also as a wayblocker, or if enemies are getting closer you can first shoot up and then hook the enemies into your grenade while shooting again.

Hope this is helpful for you, have fun with testing smile

p.s. I bet guys like Sonix or Magnet could tell you even more ^^

Luck is allowed

Now a real advice: Learning by doing.

Try different techniques in public matches on ctf5 or ctf4. But don't forget that bunch of experience you gain with each competitive play. Stuff you will never learn in publics but are so damn important, like teamplay, pickup control and map control. But you can only learn the basics (aiming, usage of weapons and movement) by doing!

6 (edited by gavenkoa 2014-09-08 21:18:17)

Siile wrote:

Rapidfire macro considered as a hack?

Horrible to use pistol & hammer without.

I googled. Seems that some mouse software allow translate click into fast rate clicks....

Sonix wrote:

Real pro gamers don't use hacks/bots. Those who play with hacks arent considered pros but scum.

Never used but interesting how it fills with auto hook bot for one time...

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Try different techniques in public matches on ctf5 or ctf4

OK. I already look to some matches and race records, hammer spinning, hook hammer fly tricks records.

Which are race maps useful to build moving skills?

gavenkoa wrote:

Which are race maps useful to build moving skills?

Nearly every single one. I am a racer, so I'd know. Try to race some fast paced ones (visit Volles RooR Racing or one of the duZi servers).

Move along, nothing to see here, really.

HMH wrote:

For rapid-fire you can bind +fire to your mousewheel

do not

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Learning by being killed over and over again? Teeworlds needs a way to new players to play without getting frustrated. I see no way to have fair matches since there is no account system however.

HMH wrote:

For rapid-fire you can bind +fire to your mousewheel

Cool idea. Too bad I use the mousewheel to change weapons. If not, I would use that for sure.

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

10 (edited by gavenkoa 2014-09-08 22:44:10)

HMH wrote:

Thanks for tips. I update my ~/.teeworlds/settings.cfg with:

inp_mousesens 110     # instead default 100, with 150 I can't play - bad mouse, bad surface, bad spinal cord...

This make game so unusual that I remove after try:

bind mousewheelup "+fire"
bind mousewheeldown "+fire"

Do you bind "fire to your mousewheel"?

You @hammer tips useful: I didn't think about constant rehooking at all!

@flagrunning: In general: Try to be unpredictable ! - that lesson I learn long time ago...

Another thing pros do is to bind their weaponhotkeys to keys you can reach very fast/good, I use q, w and e for laser, grenade and shotgun. - I bind:

bind q "+weapon3"
bind e "+weapon4"

Previously I press "2"/"3" some times, but mostly use mouse wheel...

One last tip: try not to die with ammunition you should rather use it. You can use the grenadethrower not only for directly shooting at enemies but also as a wayblocker - I follow another rule - eat all hearts and shields near enemy base or enemy way and pick up weapon even if my stack is full (by making one shot into nothing) - to prevent enemy take it.

@HeroiAmarelo If you can't stand a chance on public ctf5 matches then you should try to play on some dm2 servers, the level is even lower there.

I wouldn't bind mousewheel with +fire.

I've got mouse-up: gun, mouse-down: hammer.

Also I'd try to not only play on public servers.
It seems like you're better than most public-players so I guess you can start playing some capgames with more advanced players every now and then (there you learn about tactics and so on..)

I also think playing is the most important part of becomind an advanced player (or better: I hope, because I'm neither pro ^^)

13 (edited by binx 2014-09-09 16:29:37)

As it was said before, you won't learn by playing with a hack/bot. Playing without it is the only way.

When you see someone very, very strong, maybe you'll think "he is botting". But don't think about it, always assume he is not and do your best to fight him.

About running with flag, be fast and unpredictable. If you got hooked, fight back. Don't forget to be aggressive, kill the hooker. You can hook back too, which can surprise the defender. Finally, don't forget the hook lasts only 2 seconds. So, if you have good timing, make a sudden move at the right time to flee. And don't forget to give a rocket to this gentleman.

If you become stronger, you might learn to attack with a teammate, which is obviously better.

I've been thinking myself how to train hook, and I have no real idea besides playing again and again. But maybe training like when you play DDR with a "deep" freezed teammate is ok. For hammer, I think it's better to slow down the timing to hit several times in a row.

I hope you will find these useful and stop there smile

I ask about DDRace maps in games and got recommendation for training:

* ddmax, Epix, Multimap, sk_net, HDP_Obstaculos

For fewer delay I download official DDNet build of DDNet-Server from http://ddnet.tw/ instead of playing online...

Note that official server can't host race maps...

This thread https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10095 have link http://www.mediafire.com/?su6vdbuwr3lbsvh to CLASSIC DDRACE MAP PACK:

* Atticus 1-6 & Comp, Warch 1-5 & Comp (later named War4yH), Eagle 1-4 & Comp, Brain Race 1-4 & Comp, Anali 1-3 & Comp, Koule 1-16, Skillz 1-6, Killa 1-5, Pados 1-3, Amor 1-2, Wale, Mikey III, ep!x,  Chdd, Skynet 1-10 & Comp (from DDMax), Campain 1

I found most easy (but still very challenging) Skynet_1 map.

Also I clone map repository of main DDNet developer (he recently put it alive):

$ git clone https://github.com/def-/ddnet-maps

I was frustrated by http://ddnet.tw site, here screenshorts for maps http://ddnet.tw/releases/ - but there are no link to download!

How differ Novice, Solo, Brutal, Moderate, Oldschool maps between each other?

Currently I have problem with hook levitation - I try to fly near ceiling - but during rapid rehooks some hooks move me to ceiling and I fail. In order to survive I need to make very quick right click, without ever small delay. Are there only practice required or some configuration can help?

To download maps you can just join a ddnetserver and vote them. If you do not know where they are downloaded tell me your os and I can help you.

About the DDNet-Servers: Novice maps are for beginners, Moderate for intermediate and brutal maps for Pros. On Solo maps you play alone without other tees, it is like the racemod but with all ddnetfeatures. Oldschool maps do not use many features, mostly freeze and as skin they normally use generic_unhookable which makes them look like the first ddracemaps I think.

To improve your hook you need to practice, maybe it can help you to bind your hook to another key, I use s for example, however as already mentioned the best way to improve is training this stuff over and over again.

For training you can join a gores server, just searching for gores in serverlist should be enough or you try some ddnetsolo maps, they have servers all over the world so ping should not be a problem, I recommend to start with one star solo maps (you can see the stars in votemenu).

And finally here is some motivation to train: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tbLrC0XxclI

Luck is allowed

16 (edited by gavenkoa 2014-09-11 00:02:50)

HMH wrote:

To download maps you can just join a ddnetserver and vote them. If you do not know where they are downloaded tell me your os and I can help you.

I know - in ~/.teeworlds/downloadedmaps/

HMH wrote:

About the DDNet-Servers: Novice maps are for beginners, Moderate for intermediate and brutal maps for Pros. On Solo maps you play alone without other tees, it is like the racemod but with all ddnetfeatures. Oldschool maps do not use many features, mostly freeze and as skin they normally use generic_unhookable which makes them look like the first ddracemaps I think.

Thanks, that is racemod? Is that map that build for official teeworlds-server?

HMH wrote:

To improve your hook you need to practice, maybe it can help you to bind your hook to another key, I use s for example, however as already mentioned the best way to improve is training this stuff over and over again.

Wow, you bind hook to keyboard? Is that usual practice? I play with right click all time.

What I surprised is that in ~/.teeworlds/settings.cfg I find only:

bind a "+left"
bind d "+right"

There are no "+up" or "+down" commands...

I play occasionally during 3 years with pressing W for up and S for down and think that they have effect (((((((

Thanks for advices!

HMH wrote:

For training you can join a gores server, just searching for gores in serverlist should be enough or you try some ddnetsolo maps

I found some gores servers and get Aip-Gores and Aip-Gores-Blue maps in ~/.teeworlds/downloadedmaps. Really good maps for novices!

Some player teach me say /pause and kill commands.

gavenkoa wrote:

Currently I have problem with hook levitation - I try to fly near ceiling - but during rapid rehooks some hooks move me to ceiling and I fail. In order to survive I need to make very quick right click, without ever small delay. Are there only practice required or some configuration can help?

And start playing with hook remapped to W key instead of Right Click - it awesome! While I need to learn moving from zero - it more responsive that with mouse...

17 (edited by Kirbs 2014-09-11 00:38:53)

I would suggest just playing the game in large amounts. Although truthfully, the main reason I got to be able to play with high level players (note the "able") (instagib players, mainly) was beacause I had a really good friend who was the bees knees at Fly CTF. I followed him around in different maps for hours on end. (Man, that brings back memories. Also, ctf5. If you are looking for practice in speed-hooking, then I suggest ctf2 or ctf3, but I don't even know if the maps I WOULD suggest are even able to be downloaded. I can't find them anywhere. (the servers they used to be on are down, too)
In strategy, dm2 is always good for the occasional I CAN MAKE IT TO THE LASER POWERUP BEFORE YOU CAN type thing. I don't know about spinning, or what it does, I just know that I spin my mouse like crazy during most matches.  I would suggest that you follow someone who is a friendly person and good at the speed (hard to come by) around in a fast map, and try to beat them to somewhere. I can't really give advice on this sort of thing, except that playing the game a lot is a good thing to do. Anyway, have a nice day and all that good stuff. When hooked by players, shotgun packs a large punch. Unless you have a lot of health (In which you use grenade?), then most likely shotgun.

no

I find OpenFNG mode to be a good laser practice.

But... what if we tried more power?

19 (edited by gavenkoa 2014-09-13 20:33:46)

Thanks for other answers.

I finally concentrated on AIP-Gores map. Some times I play at own home server.

I miss save/load command. In order to practice selected part of map. When you saved at some position and try to pass corridor again and again...

There are /save and /load command, but on /save I get errors:

help save
[help]: Save team with code s
help load
[help]: Load with code s

save
[chat]: *** Invalid arguments... Usage: save s
save xxx
[chat]: *** Save-function not supported in file based servers

http://ddnet.tw/settingscommands/ have option:

sv_savegames    Enables savegames (/save and /load)

and I add it to sv_savegames to ~/game/ddrace/autoexec.cfg but in admin menu ther are no such command and /save x doesn't work....

UPDATE I check sources:

git clone https://github.com/def-/ddnet.git
git clone https://github.com/teeworlds/teeworlds.git

and only ddnet have such option and it available only if build with SQL support. Seems that http://ddnet.tw/ build is restricted...

From DDNet forum:

deen wrote:

Save and load are not what you expect. Try them on an official DDNet server and you will see. Instead, if you want to train, write sv_test_cmds 1 into your config and restart the server. Then you can use rcon and super.

I make your suggestion. In <inst-dir>/ddrace/autoexec.cfg I put lines:

sv_port 8303   # to allow type "localhost" withput port
sv_register 0   # don't register server at inet
sv_rcon_password "123456"   # we don't need security from ourself
sv_test_cmds 1   # allow super/unsuper

and in client on "F2" prompt I can issue:

help super
[help]: Makes you super
super

To make environment more convenient I add binding into ~/.teeworlds/settings.cfg and /.teeworlds/settings_ddnet.cfg:

bind p "say /pause"   # temporary leave game position to free space for another gamers
bind k "kill"            # begin game from start
bind comma "rcon super"  # no longer freezed by bad border
bind period "rcon unsuper"  # return to nornal DDRace game mode

Note - you must enter password to rcon in order "," and "." keys begin work.

Also I found peice of code:

bind m "bind i rcon up; bind j rcon left; bind k rcon down; bind l rcon right"

20 (edited by flyyyn 2014-09-14 18:08:20)

Hi.

Here are my ideas on how to improve what you are asking.

- how train to hook other player?
If you really find it hard to throw one hook to latch on to a player, I remember I learned by spamming hook at any enemy tee just to mess their movement up. When I got used to the aiming (I could hit most tees within range with enough spamming), I started trying to commit to the hooks and swing them around. Practice on everyone you see and be that annoying tee.

* how train to kill by hammer?
* how train to kill by hammer during hooking other player?
- I think the hammer is useless unless you get really good. Don't bother with it unless you think you are one of the "pros". Just use a shotgun until you can hit with it the majority of the time. You can use the hammer after you get used to using the hook properly and you can kill a tee while hooking them.

* how train to run away with flag when you had hooked by 1-3 enemies?
- This is basically train by experience. What you can try is instead of running away, if you ever get hooked and you have no momentum anymore, run in the direction other than where you would find it natural to run away and repeat that while shooting at the enemy until you get away. If you find yourself escaping the first time and then getting caught, you have to change direction more often. In general, unless you are a step above those players, you should be dead.

- For movement, if you can move on maps without bumping into walls, you're fine. Otherwise, practice on ctf5 first, then ctf4 and ctf2 until you can move without bumping. To see if you are above average in movement, get the flag in ctf, then run through the map as long as possible without shooting or getting killed. If you are fast enough and you arn't playing against any monsters, you should survive pretty long.

More on movement: There are two general types of hooks. Long hooks for changing direction and short hooks for gaining speed/ balancing yourself. If you are bumping into stuff, practice using only long hooks to change your direction smoothly while keeping your momentum. After you can move around normally, you can try short hooks. To a certain point, the more short hooks you use, the more control you have over your tee. Try using more extra (spammy) hooks to speed up or balance yourself but make sure they arn't slowing you down.

Settings

- Specific mouse settings don't matter. My mouse settings are where it is easy to get to the edges of the aiming circle but I can still control the mouse in the inside. Faster is better but make sure you have a speed you can handle.

Teeworlds is basically learning by doing. If you want to improve at ctf, then just play ctf. To improve just focus on what you are doing, point out all the things that a pro can do that you can't, and start trying to do what they are doing. Its all muscle memory so you have to play alot to improve. Just make sure you are paying attention and not mindlessly trying the same thing over and over again.

"gavenkoa wrote:

I miss save/load command. In order to practice selected part of map. When you saved at some position and try to pass corridor again and again...

That's called /r or "rescue mode", this feature doesn't exist on DDNet, but you can find it on some servers !