1 (edited by Catzz 2014-01-12 00:40:23)

Topic: "Map stealers"

I go straight in to it.

Why does players steal my maps and delete my credits then put their own name there? sad
Have this happend to you?

Stolen maps: KiwiCity & blmapV7Up.

-------
*KiwiCity was stolen by Monsta + delete my credits.
------
idk who edit & stole my credits on blmapV7Up.
------

Please all out there who want to use other players maps!
Don't delete credits & write that you made it. wink

*KiwiCity was at start a clan city for DpRo clan.

If anyone got any ideas how to prevent this from happend please reply.

NOTE: blmapToucH is my map >> blmapV7Up but it's edited.

Re: "Map stealers"

Catzz wrote:

While this is an objectionable behaviour, maps are open-source in Teeworlds.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

You might find some issue-related topics via search function here, there has been some discussions before.

From my point of view, mapping is a "hobby". You are doing it for fun, like everything that is done in spare time.
To see people enjoying your work is a great feeling. And, honestly they won't remember your credits in a map anyway, except they know you. If they do, they will probably know that it is your map.

Something more constructive:
Create a topic in our map subforum and upload your map there, so everybody will know it is yours.
That's currently the best way. Remove credits out of your maps, as you already noticed they will be deleted/ changed anyway...

Dune wrote:
Catzz wrote:

While this is an objectionable behaviour, maps are open-source in Teeworlds.

No that's not how copyright works.

Magnet wrote:

No that's not how copyright works.

That's what I thought. Also, open-source is not equal to free.

The other day i thought about maybe introducing a function of the map editor, which would enable you to 'lock' your map, so only servers could read it anymore.. Problem is open-source, people would probably be able to unlock the maps again sad

burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

7 (edited by Tangeek 2014-01-13 17:33:45)

What about a password on the map ? Opening the map in the editor would require a password. Of course, if the guy read the code source of the game, he could read that password without problem, but honestly, I think most of the idiots who think it's "cool" to steal a map won't/can't read the code. Maybe find a way to store that password in the server of the creator's choice via the editor or something, but we'll always meet the same issue.

But even if I proposed that, know that I personnally don't like this idea. For me, each map I create and post on my server are free to be copied et reused. If some day I see one of my maps on another server, I'll just be happy that somebody liked my work. But I have an idea that maybe can help those who don't agree with me, so I post it. It doesn't mean I like it.

But after all, the best way to be sure you're rightfully credited, I agree with Slayer *gV*. Create a topic on this forum, and the community will have "proof" that is yours. But really, a stealer could also just do that. The reaaaaaally best way to not be stealed is to put a password on the server so nobody except people you trust enough can download the map while playing. And even not register the server in the main list.

I've always hated members without signatures.

Tangeek wrote:

What about a password on the map ? Opening the map in the editor would require a password. Of course, if the guy read the code source of the game, he could read that password without problem, but honestly, I think most of the idiots who think it's "cool" to steal a map won't/can't read the code. Maybe find a way to store that password in the server of the creator's choice via the editor or something, but we'll always meet the same issue.

Once the password is hacked it isn't too hard to share it.

More reasons to dislike this idea.

10 (edited by Tsin 2014-01-13 21:45:58)

maps are open-source in Teeworlds

Dune your way of thinking is just rly rly wrong.
Only because you use open source tools doesnt mean the map is open-source or have to always be.
example : gimp, blender you can give the procjet file or not that depends on you

i think that there are only 2 ways to make life of some mappers better
1. change the editor so there would be a project file and map file and that ofcourse there would be no way to use "map" file in editor
2. rsa key for editor and for server or good passwords like 24 chars ^^
or something similar to rsa key but just better (im not a crypto geek so i dont know the newest tech ^^)

https://github.com/teeworlds/teeworlds/issues/1178

11 (edited by Deepfinder 2014-01-13 22:10:46)

Use Map-Protection Client..
Download and official (german) Thread:
http://teeworlds-friends.de/Forum/index … protection

http://i.imgur.com/qHvnUZh.png
http://i.imgur.com/ExUsv4a.png

I will be banned if I troll again ...

If I remember correctly, this one is just a hack that makes normal editors crash when opening the map.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

13 (edited by Deepfinder 2014-01-13 22:32:55)

Dune wrote:

If I remember correctly, this one is just a hack that makes normal editors crash when opening the map.

Right, and with the Map-Protection Client you have to enter a password.. so, your Map is save. Well, maybe only for little Kiddies. ^^

http://i.imgur.com/y3uAVoR.png

I will be banned if I troll again ...

So you want DRM? Real map protection can't be done. The client needs to know everything about the map in order to render it making it impossible to protect that data, period.

Also DRM would prevent others from building upon maps and create new great maps.
Everyone profits from open and free content.

I feel like I have to say it. I agree completely. I think that's what has made Teeworlds so fun today. All the mods that have been created, all the maps, or even skins. All that has been made possible because of the free ressources of the game, from the source code to the various files. Honestly, I really don't see why people feel the need to protect their maps. They want to be congratulated ? So they don't even create maps to have great games on them, but just for show... I'm sorry, I really don't understand ! ><

Deepfinder wrote:

Use Map-Protection Client..
Download and official (german) Thread:
http://teeworlds-friends.de/Forum/index … protection

http://i.imgur.com/qHvnUZh.png
http://i.imgur.com/ExUsv4a.png

It changes the version number in the map item version struct.

Teelevision and Tangeek

Very often people start creating maps because they would like to have their own server. So to make their server popular they need a new and fresh content. After rly short time they realise that some jerk just takes their map to his server, removes the credits from the map and people think its his work. Then that mapper tries again and again the same happens and he no longer maps.
To prevent this kind of things some kind of drm protection would be needed.
- More servers with own fresh content
- Server hosters would have to start mapping or asking mappers to help them
- No more map stealing and a lot less ddos crap (ddos attacks are often to destroy other popular servers and take their content to make own server popular - everyday struggle between ddrace/blocker servers)

So you start a server to be popular. I was right. :-/

Sorry, but most players won't come on a server because of their maps, but because it has the lowest ping. There are PLENTY of servers now with the almost exact same content. What if you have great maps but a very weak connexion for, I don't know, the Japanese, for example ? Why couldn't they create a local server with a better Internet access and your maps ? It's called sharing. That's the whole point of Teeworlds being an open-source and free (as in the GNU definition) software. I know, and agree, that this fact don't necessarily mean that all the maps created must be shared with the same license (it would be completely opposite to the free software way of thinking), but it still is quite sad that most players will want to be the "owners" of something.

When I created my server, I didn't do it for the purpose of being popular, as you said it. I launched it because that way I can play with my friends who live near me on a fast responding server, and maybe some random people will have a good ping on it too. And if they like it, great. If they don't, as I said there are plenty of other servers with the mods I use. And you know what ? Those servers I know are always filled, and they use the officials maps... Really, the map isn't really that important on a gameplay. Sure, there are some that can be very painful to play on, and the opposite as well, but the most important is the gameplay used and the respond time. Those are the factors that will decide if your server is "popular" or not.

And really, you should be glad that people like your maps and use them on their server. Yeah, the ones that lie and say it's their work suck, but these are just morons and I'm sure there are not that plenty. Don't pay attention to them, just be glad people use your maps. In fact, they're doing a favor to you : if they were not there, all the players who like your maps would come to you, and your server would always be completely filled, which means more work for the machine (although a Teeworlds server isn't really heavy), and more data to send to all players. That could become very laggy at some point if one of the players has a bad connexion !

Let me state this again.

IT CAN'T BE DONE

This isn't some political idea or something like that. This is a technical issue that can't be solved. You can make it some what harder and you can withhold some gameplay information from the client but you can't get around the fact that the client needs the map information in order to render it. The music, movie and game industry has been banging their heads against this wall for decades now without a proper solution and half-assed solutions that only punishes the good people instead of the bad ones.

Instead, be happy that people like your map enough to pay attention to it, take it, redo it etc. Yes, there are bad apples out there and they can suck a *beep* and *beep* *beep* *beep* huge *beep* *beep* and *beep* *beep*. Not much you can do about those people and they will always exist.

matricks wrote:

that only punishes the good people instead of the bad ones.

This is so true I've been saying this for years.

Instead, be happy that people like your map enough to pay attention to it.

I never understood how people can be so possessive in a game like TW,  that stands for free and fun.

Broken wrote:
matricks wrote:

Instead, be happy that people like your map enough to pay attention to it.

I never understood how people can be so possessive in a game like TW,  that stands for free and fun.

I think this falls in Loss Aversion. It is hard to notice how much oneself profits from free contents, but if others profit from the own contents it is viewed much more critical. In general we profit more from other people's contents than other people profit from our contents. But it feels different, which is a fallacy.

For those who don't know it already: Everything is a Remix is a very good abstract on the whole copyright problem.

23 (edited by unsigned char* 2017-01-17 03:45:35)

. . .

Hey i do have the same problem with my race map, it was a testmap and wasnt released but i loaded it up to a online server that other tee's can give me feedback and one of this testers did stolen my map!
So i looked for a map locker and found this page but the links are outdated and i cant find this editor anywhere else hmm
Does somebody still have this Editor and can reupload this editor or can send me via Skype?
I would be very grateful!^^ smile

Noone cares, have you ever seen credits in official maps? I do consider teeworlds maps as public domain. You can fill the Author field in the editor and that should be it.

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Proudly verkeckt since 2010.