Re: How to get more players

Broken wrote:

Shahan, the fact is, the developers don't really play Teeworlds and in my experience don't understand the attitude of real regular players. And I don't demand or expect differently... but no one is "at the helm," as it were, with a player-consistent overriding vision of what keep players playing Teeworlds. This is *not* a criticism, just a fact of life. So we basically have a cool game idea, the TW engine, that is just barely kept up by semi-disinterested parties and some of the players really see the beauty of it, but start to wonder or wish for more, and this just won't happen the way things are currently. But TW is still a great game only for what it is.

Wrong. There has always been active devs playing Teeworlds. Matricks has been very active back then, and Oy plays quite a bit as well. Magnet is to be seen sometimes too.
heinrich5991 also plays and contributes.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

I still don't think what I said was wrong, but that one point was overstated.

since this topic is reopened i expect answer from you landil.

Landil wrote:

We've discussed this point hundreds of times before. No need to discuss it again. DDRace will not become official. Never.

just give out a link, or name the reasons yourself, but as i said i did not hear a single logic reason for not making those mods official except for diificulties in coding or time issues, which were both declined by you.

Arrob wrote:

since this topic is reopened i expect answer from you landil.

Landil wrote:

We've discussed this point hundreds of times before. No need to discuss it again. DDRace will not become official. Never.

just give out a link, or name the reasons yourself, but as i said i did not hear a single logic reason for not making those mods official except for diificulties in coding or time issues, which were both declined by you.

1. DDRace is not Teeworlds, it is another game (different weapons, different goal, different game play).
2. It is not the game we (at least most of the developers) want to develop. And as this is open source we are deciding what we want to do in our rare freetime. (We have to earn our life, we do not go to school)
3. If you want to develop DDRace, feel free to join _their_ development team.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Dune wrote:
Broken wrote:

Shahan, the fact is, the developers don't really play Teeworlds and in my experience don't understand the attitude of real regular players. And I don't demand or expect differently... but no one is "at the helm," as it were, with a player-consistent overriding vision of what keep players playing Teeworlds. This is *not* a criticism, just a fact of life. So we basically have a cool game idea, the TW engine, that is just barely kept up by semi-disinterested parties and some of the players really see the beauty of it, but start to wonder or wish for more, and this just won't happen the way things are currently. But TW is still a great game only for what it is.

Wrong. There has always been active devs playing Teeworlds. Matricks has been very active back then, and Oy plays quite a bit as well. Magnet is to be seen sometimes too.
heinrich5991 also plays and contributes.

currently I am playing very actively ctf and dm (watch out for ctf4 vanilla servers)

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Arrob wrote:
Landil wrote:

It's also because it's common sense that noone in charge of Teeworlds will make this happen, Landil's responsibility or not. It's just so wrong. It's like drunken games to be accepted as olympic games.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

32 (edited by 2013-10-29 01:03:13)

Landil wrote:

2. It is not the game we (at least most of the developers) want to develop. And as this is open source we are deciding what we want to do in our rare freetime. (We have to earn our life, we do not go to school)
3. If you want to develop DDRace, feel free to join _their_ development team.

As you already know what i think on your first point (scroll up to see my answer on this) lets directly move to the second. thats actually a good and logic reason, noone wants to force you do spent your time in certain ways. still that does not explain why you do not accept other peoples work in your code and just distinguish between different gamemodes.

Landil wrote:

we do not go to school

also want to say how important school is for your life, you should not skip even if other kids say its cool. please do go to school, not for me but for you, later youll realize that it was worth it. smile

Dune wrote:

It's just so wrong.

this shows best how subjective this topic is, for you it is i know, but not for me.
your comparison is bad because thats not a subjective decision, there are criteria for acceptance that does apply for drinking but for other sports like healthiness, which is a logic reason not to accept it.

33 (edited by mousecat 2013-10-29 06:01:49)

Hi  again

metastuff
__
to arrob and shahan, I think it is pointless to argue about a topic if the dev shut it down already because if they shut an idea down, no amount of points will make them switch. wether it is right or wrong, the devs will do what they think is best for teeworlds  (why would they go for second best unless there was too much work involved?) and they do stuff as a hobby. stuff they dont find fun to code, they wont do. Their opinion is the discussion ender because they know what they want and they control development. Its still ok to ask for their reasoning... i think in this situation. So a good idea would be to give out more ideas they might want to consider and not rehash old arguments the devs have already decided yes or no on, wether it is right or wrong.

ps. aarob they arnt skipping school btw. people with jobs play this game too

And dune saying stuff like "it looks wrong", "its just wrong", "its common sense". Maybe people like us don't have common sense and know the difference between right and wrong so it might be a good idea to back up your points please. smile

pls dont make this a ddrace thread sad.
__

with that, I have a new idea for the distantfuture of maybe 5 -10 years? When teeworld is done and has an account system and stuff like that, you could have a separate recommended server where only new players can join and maybe have beginer bots and other new players. every other server is still accessible to them but the server is there as an option to learn. And you can ban them after some algorithm tells them theyre too good by using average speed  a tee travels in the server or something like that. And then on the other side, you could have a ladder server for dm tdm ctf where there is a rating system, matchmaking and you join for competitive games which is only accesible after a certain skill level. Where that skill level will be determined, i dont know. maybe with a floor of 1000 kills and then a target race challenge or something like that? That solves percieved landils problem of needing to keep ctf players and my percieved problem of how teeworlds has a too high skillcap and how noobs get stomped  in public servers and the noobs  with little motivation quit.

34 (edited by Teelevision 2013-10-29 02:40:23)

Arrob wrote:
Landil wrote:

we do not go to school

also want to say how important school is for your life, you should not skip even if other kids say its cool. please do go to school, not for me but for you, later youll realize that it was worth it. smile

Disagree! In most countries school is a failed realization of a not so bad concept that prevents younger people from doing better and give their lives a meaning. It forces an open-minded, curious human being into a pattern of a functioning, working, consuming pabulum.

BTT: DDRace is not Teeworlds. Thus there need to be a big advantage. But lets see:
The current situation is: there is dm, tdm and ctf and you can play ddrace.
Situation after making ddrace official: there is dm, tdm and ctf and you can play ddrace.
There is no real advantage of making it official. Except maybe that the overloaded, unperformant ddrace gets some improvments - like removing everything but the freeze blocks.

But what if the developers decided to go with ddrace, what's with all the other mods? Instagib, catch, zombie, ... . Why don't add them, too? They are for sure at least as great as ddrace! We definitely need to include every mod into Teeworlds![/irony]

Most of the devs are 30+ and some of them are 20+. Pretty all of them have a degree. If they go back to school, they go as a teacher.

Teeworlds is extremely simple, teeish and cute.
DM/TDM: fight and kill the most
CTF: grab a flag and capture it

DDRace is more of a "this-looks-so-cool-we-should-put-this-in-and-this-and-also-this". It's a fun, casual game, but is definitely not on the simple but very clean quality of vanilla.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

@landil i guess you got i wanted to make fun of your statement there, just dont think im still at school too.

@dune
ddrace: get at the end of the map together

i said before that i wouldnt just append the whole mod, for the reasons you said ("simple, teeish and cute").
there are enough features that do not fit to these, effects of lasers and speedups cannot be simply predicted, since invisible stats define them and they make the game much more complicated without adding more possibilities since every part can be mapped not very differently but without these. but there is really nothing to say against appending a very basic ddrace mod with freeze and teleport, enough good maps dont use any more.

Haha, I like Teelevision's argument: if ddrace will become official, nothing will be changed (for players), or maybe even become worse: slower development (teeworlds server updates with client only), some ddrace features might be lost (if devs will find it bad for teeworlds).

This thread is about how to get more players. DDRace may cause more players while it exists. Devs are not againist DDRace existing, so there is no problem.

So, by the thread I'd like to ask: does Teeworlds need more players?

Imo, More game servers -> more players. More servers -> more masters. More masters -> more time of developers teeworlds requires. Devs already don't have much free time -> they don't want more players. Am I right? big_smile

Shahan wrote:

Imo, More game servers -> more players. More servers -> more masters. More masters -> more time of developers teeworlds requires. Devs already don't have much free time -> they don't want more players. Am I right? big_smile

>>> More masters -> more time of developers teeworlds requires
Wrong. The master servers should be fine for quite some time, and even then, we would just need slightly more ressources, not really more developer time.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Landil wrote:

Because teeworlds is quite easy to reach a good skill level. Learn how to move and where to shoot on ctf2 and ctf3 and you can play most of the clan wars. Do these maps have unhookables or death tiles? well, no. The so called pros are not pros, they are conservative players who only wanna play the same maps over and over again.

LOL'd.

To the general sentiment about adding DDRace, it would have to be revamped because today DDRace is hackish (prediction problems with freeze zones etc).
And the DDRace maps are not teeish (because they're using most of the time the smallest tile). I feel DDRace is too far from the expected Teeworlds experience as it is today.
And that's not a priority. Race could be added earlier.

I think we should welcome non-fighting gamemodes as long as they preserve Teeworld's standard physics tuning, provide enough interest to players and most of all fit TW. People should be able to play different gametypes and feel at home instead of playing only the same gametype all the time.

However, getting more players & keeping them is certainly a priority, but it has to be balanced with keeping the game competitive and interesting for different skill levels. And our priority is indeed combat-oriented gametypes, & team modes involve collaboration as well.

PS: we have plans for the future of TW, we're talking, it's not like we've given up.

Magnet wrote:
Landil wrote:

Because teeworlds is quite easy to reach a good skill level. Learn how to move and where to shoot on ctf2 and ctf3 and you can play most of the clan wars. Do these maps have unhookables or death tiles? well, no. The so called pros are not pros, they are conservative players who only wanna play the same maps over and over again.

LOL'd.

To the general sentiment about adding DDRace, it would have to be revamped because today DDRace is hackish (prediction problems with freeze zones etc).
And the DDRace maps are not teeish (because they're using most of the time the smallest tile). I feel DDRace is too far from the expected Teeworlds experience as it is today.

I think we should welcome non-fighting gamemodes as long as they preserve Teeworld's standard physics tuning, provide enough interest to players and most of all fit TW. People should be able to play different gametypes and feel at home instead of playing only the same gametype all the time.

However, getting more players & keeping them is certainly a priority, but it has to be balanced with keeping the game competitive and interesting for different skill levels. And our priority is indeed combat-oriented gametypes, & team modes involve collaboration as well.

PS: we have plans for the future of TW, we're talking, it's not like we've given up.

+1

Wasn't there talk about Survival and/or Conquest as new gamemodes?

burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Magnet wrote:

Thank you for this post, you gave two reasons that seem legit to me why not to add ddrace.
i also noticed the first (its a real issue) and adressed it in the ddrace topic:

quite normal, imagine a tee in freeze top, another one bottom, between them 1 layer of collision tiles. the bottom tee now hammers through this collision tiles and hit the other one. now there are different results that can happen based on where this looptimer is right now: either nothing, or the tee is able to perform a short action like moving left a bit. Since you can never figure out this timer its basically luck.

go here to see whole post/discussion https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtop … 67#p108567.

i admit that i never actively though about the second reason, although the maps i like most (Totoro and Autumn) are also the ones which use this classic design much more often than other ddrace maps. i understand this problem and also the problem in fixing it. while there are many parts that can be redesigned normally without much difference, 1 tile layers are also essential for many other parts.

Magnet wrote:

I really like your attitude.

it was said before that there would not change much if ddrace becomes official which is true for a short period.
there are 3 reasons i want ddrace to become official. first the developers could take a bit care of it (e.g. to fix the first problem which is a problem in code not in design).
second to let them choose some good standard maps which player can orientate in design/gameplay (i basically share their understanding of teeish and would like to see more maps going in that direction - most vanilla maps have appropriate design, many ddrace maps hurt my eyes in that point and the reason is the lack of official templates).
last but not least i think a modable game that offers fighting multiplayer, coop and single player sound much more attractive than a fighting game with some mods to new players, which is a reason why we discuss in this topic.

1. more love
2. more online friends
3. more offline friends <- this is important, ping plays a main role on how serious the game is, hence better chance for forming a local community (Chinese community is quite active for now...)

44 (edited by mousecat 2013-11-29 07:11:11)

I am posting this here because of the vanilla revival thread and Magnet said not to litter his thread with client feature ideas.

Discussion Stuff
I said it before so i'll just be quick. I think there learning curve for vanilla is quite steep and as Magnet has said, it is not fun to and naturally people tend to play things they are good at or get a reward for.

The post for the vanilla revival initiative is nice and may encourage a few players who have given up on vanilla due to bad experiences to give it a second shot, but it will not change the minds of those who lost interest or never had interest in it in the first place. Many people are not self motivated and are not willing to try something solely for the "challenge". In addition, for a quickfix like the teeworlds initiative to work, an incredibly large foundation of players would have to be a part of this "movement" for the vanilla scene to grow on its own and not stagnate again. The core issue is in the game itself and not things such as an uninviting player-base (that is part of the issue however). Players just gravitate towards what is naturally fun and rewarding for them and if subjecting themselves to an incredibly steep learning experience just to take part in a relatively small community was fun and rewarding enough, we would not be having this problem. The previous sentence contained horrible logic and I am sorry.

The forum post is inspiring however I believe the vast majority of players will not see the post or even get to make the decision if they want to participate in the challenge or not. In my opinion the only way to communicate with most of the players is through the game and make them want to play vanilla again. 
_

Old ideas and new ideas...
These features are suggested because I believe vanilla has nothing over other mods other than the satisfaction you feel superior to other players. Vanilla also offers fast paced action and deeper competitive gameplay than other gametypes however many vetarans forget that new players don't get to experience that until they reach a certain level. The features may or may not encourage more players to stick around so that the vanilla community can slowly grow again.

Reward / Progression-centric
Ladder
-Pub games
-Clan ranks
-1v1

Achievements for:
-Participating in official tournaments
-staying active in ladder

Level up progression
-meaningless but does keep grinders playing and interested
-better performance, more rewards
-badges for achievements
-badges to promote active play
-badges can be shown off on profile MUST be visable
-have leaderboards for badges received
-will maybe cause some people to feel invested in teeworlds and keep playing rather than just dump this random game with cool hook physics for something else that gives more reward

Embrace instagib
-New-player-friendly combat gametype
-Lets new players feel like they are doing something while learning the basics of the weird aiming and unique hook physics of teeworlds

Learning Curve Centric
High-skilled gameplay trailer on homepage
-To inspire new tees

Tutorials
-viewable in client

Casual gametypes
-Promote elastic banding in a new game type

Solo vanilla related minigame challenges
-offline practice options for all levels (target practice/ race/ dummies)
-when there is no internet and people want teeworlds, they might as well try out the offline features
-make race official have challenges to receive rewards

Community Features
Ingame Regulated Chatrooms
-where else do mid level players meet without the hassle of running in between servers to organize games

Newsboard/ newsfeed
-for tournament announcements (to open up communication pathways)
-cap game gatherings

Obviously an insane amount of work would have to be put into the game just to make a few of these features work but this is just a dump of potential features that I wish teeworlds will eventually be and are features that i feel will allow vanilla to grow naturally. This does not mean I believe other methods will not work, these are just long term goals that I believe will make people gravitate the vanilla community by themselves.

All in all, this is an incredibly meaningless and bloated list to see if the developers would reconsider old ideas or like new ones. I think Magnet's initiative idea is great and I hope it creates new players. No need to discuss  the list as discussion rarely does anything productive anyways.

My concision needs work sad
I am clearly bored and have too much time smile
I wish I had the formatting skills and the ability to use clean bullet points like Magnet sad

Hi mousecat,
Nice post.

I agree with most of what you said. But this kind of new features require a lot of time to develop, and get the whole team moving, which has shown difficult.
I would like to close 0.7 with a bunch of gameplay & server features (because otherwise I don't see the point of a protocol-changing release), then start working on community/rewards for 0.8.

The thing is, the motivation to work on the code is also linked to seeing players on the actual game :-).