1 (edited by mousecat 2013-10-25 03:33:40)

Topic: How to get more players

Maybe if people are dedicated to the game and the game becomes beginner freindly with tutorials and introduction to each game mode and becomes an official game with accounts, offline mode with dumb bots, you could introduce a donate button for google ads for teeworlds because not many  people play this game. I think i read somewhere you could link ads with keywords and that might be a good way to get people to look at the game. Or do a test wave of ads and see if more people play the game. It will be in a long time and take alot of work but it might be good later on.

If anyone has more ideas. It would be nice! smile

When ubu had to take down the video with alot of views, now crappy videos are at the top and the game seems less appealing to new players i think. so maybe putting a trailer on the home page with the cool stuff you can do may be good but that only inspires the tryhards to be as good as him and not everyone are tryhards or they try and they die alot.

PS.Also I believe making ddrace official would help because that is the only way to get more casual players to join. It is proven to be fun and tutorials could make it "simple" and it is noob friendly. How else do you get people to start playing the game?  I dont think you can convince kids to play a game where they start with a negative score for the first 50 games. If a game doesnt have anything for noobs to hang on to, the game cant get more players and you are stuck with the same old players.

More discussion down below?

Re: How to get more players

-> picks, a server list with recommended servers choosen by the developers
-> tournaments
-> ask youtubers/lets-players to play teeworlds, the only reason tw is so popular in germany is because a gaming tv show played it

we do not need new players, we need to keep the ones who play vanilla teeworlds.
Making DDRace official? lol

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Landil wrote:

we do not need new players

We need new players IMO. Every game needs them.

heinrich5991 wrote:
Landil wrote:

we do not need new players

We need new players IMO. Every game needs them.

Let me correct my message:
The top priority question should be: how can we keep vanilla players?
Ofc we need new players to compensate for the standard loss we have. (Standard fluctuation)

Besides there are a lot of possibilities to make teeworlds more popular without any need to spend money
--> spreading links on various blogs (tech blogs, game blogs, linkdumps, ...)
--> asking old school magazines to review it
--> providing prewritten texts for press releases incl. screenshots, logo ...

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Landil wrote:

we do not need new players, we need to keep the ones who play vanilla teeworlds.
Making DDRace official? lol

Have you any good reason to decline it? basically you currently have ONLY a multiplayer shooter vs. other players.
race gave this game a singleplayer, ddrace a multiplayer coop. if you just rely on one its no surprise people mainly playing mods.
its not that groundbreaking to make it official because you allow mods, but it would definitly improve the game much if the developers care a bit about these mods too.

7 (edited by mousecat 2013-10-25 22:02:46)

Hi
No need to be condesending.

I believe we can keep ctf  players by introducing new ctf players so there is more competition. Or another way is to introduce new mechanics which make the game more challenging so there will be less new players but the existing players will stick around to master those mechanics but what will stop them from being bored again?

We need new players to compensate for the standard loss we have but how do we do that when the tiny amount of  new players go to ddrace or try ctf, get wrecked and then leave. Maybe you dont want those garbage players but you need a larger pool to raise the chance of real players to be relevant.

You can do what you suggested but you will probably need to sponsor the sites to spread links on actual blogs that give real exposure. I doubt having one article on an old school magazine will raise the population much imo not that its not a bad idea.

Providing prewritten texts will be nice when the game is out so that is a good idea.

But what is the point of exposure if your game has a too steep learning curve?
I believe exposing the game to alot of people now is bad because its too hard for new players and most will dismiss it. Even ddrace is pretty intimidating with the crazy maps and powerups and if a person doesn't know how to play and they enter a hard map, they just sit around while pros drag them around. Maybe you dont want these people playing your game but a game needs to be casual as well as hardcore to be appealing and gives space for people to grow into ctf if they want to.

Here is a dumb example that that you can rip apart as i have no basis for my claims but is still realistic:
Case 1 with the  current game and ctf only: Magically teeworlds gets on the news, 100000 people see it, 25000 play it 250 enjoy ctf because they are special, word of mouth means 25 more ctf  players? so a total of 275 ctf  players?

Case 2 with a dumbed down game for little kids. existing ctf hardcore players stick around because nothing in ctf has changed: Magically teeworlds gets on the news, 100000 people see it, 25000 play it, 5000 stick around for ddrace, insta, word of mouth means 500 more players + maybe 50 from spreading further? and then when people get decent at teeworld physics and want to try something new like how i did from insta to ctf, maybe 500 go to ctf and thats an over all improvement from case 1.

Actually a real example would be something as dumb as call of duty. ITs dumbed down to hell and super popular. If a mode called "elite" just popped up and it plays exactly like counterstrike, im pretty sure more people would play that mode than counterstrike itself just because it has a larger pool of players to work with. So compare that to a dumbed down teeworlds with a ctf as its hardcore mode maybe?

More players doesn't change what ctf is as a gametype and introducing ddrace and insta as official gametypes doesnt make ctf lose players because they are already set in their hardcore ways. IT just lets people who are exposed to the game, stick around for longer and let word of mouth spread and or convert to ctf when they feel like it.

I just thought about another bad idea you may hate and that is achievements and milestones (levelling up). People just love seeing a "you have leveled up" or a "100 kills" achievement and unlocking things and geting kill sprees because it makes them happy even tho it is the dumbest thing in the world. Giving teeworlds progression might increase the amount of players suckered in to those things and let them make themselves happy while in the background, they are improving as players.

Edit: i forgot to say i think ddrace is a great game mode because it increases the use of the hook by so much. gives a new depth to the game like the guy above me said, it might suck for stealing away some less dedicated ctfrs but making it official most likely will not change the minds of ctfrs to switch to ddrace anyways and will make the game more accesible if maps were organized into difficulty or something like that. Teeworls is special because of the hook. If a game mode increases the potential uses of the hook, why is it so bad? Race should be added too imo

DDRace will for sure not be added into the official Teeworlds, and that for many good reasons, some of which have already been quoted. Expanding more on the topic is useless.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:

DDRace will for sure not be added into the official Teeworlds, and that for many good reasons, some of which have already been quoted. Expanding more on the topic is useless.

Don't take his answer serious, he just hates ddrace (because it's too difficult for him i guess), ddrace won't be added mostly due to the reason, that ddrace is a huge mod and requires a lot of developers time; and it's quite hard to implement ddrace and vanilla in one server program without any bugs.

10 (edited by 2013-10-25 23:42:38)

Arrob wrote:

Have you any good reason to decline it? basically you currently have ONLY a multiplayer shooter vs. other players.

Yes, the reason is: DDRace is not teeworlds. If anyone wants to make a game like DDRace they are welcome to do it. But teeworlds developers develop teeworlds and not DDRaceworlds.

mousecat wrote:

I believe we can keep ctf  players by introducing new ctf players so there is more competition. Or another way is to introduce new mechanics which make the game more challenging so there will be less new players but the existing players will stick around to master those mechanics but what will stop them from being bored again?

We are testing new game mechanics and we are thinking about ways to improve the game experience. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of matching people according to their skill level.

You can do what you suggested but you will probably need to sponsor the sites to spread links on actual blogs that give real exposure. I doubt having one article on an old school magazine will raise the population much imo not that its not a bad idea.

Give it a chance and we will see wink

But what is the point of exposure if your game has a too steep learning curve?
I believe exposing the game to alot of people now is bad because its too hard for new players and most will dismiss it.

We need to find a way to make teeworlds less ping dependend (which is according to what the coders said only to some extent possible) and we need to find more good maps for a map rotation cycle, or we need to find a game play modification which will make it even harder to play teeworlds (e.g. moving platforms, death tiles and unhookables on standard maps). Because teeworlds is quite easy to reach a good skill level. Learn how to move and where to shoot on ctf2 and ctf3 and you can play most of the clan wars. Do these maps have unhookables or death tiles? well, no. The so called pros are not pros, they are conservative players who only wanna play the same maps over and over again.

I just thought about another bad idea you may hate and that is achievements and milestones (levelling up). People just love seeing a "you have leveled up" or a "100 kills" achievement and unlocking things and geting kill sprees because it makes them happy even tho it is the dumbest thing in the world. Giving teeworlds progression might increase the amount of players suckered in to those things and let them make themselves happy while in the background, they are improving as players.

levels suck, but adding some achievement might be quite nice

If a game mode increases the potential uses of the hook, why is it so bad? Race should be added too imo

It is not bad. But teeworlds is not a game engine for countless mods. It's a game, which the developers want to develop.

Shahan wrote:
Dune wrote:

Don't take his answer serious, he just hates ddrace (because it's too difficult for him i guess), ddrace won't be added mostly due to the reason, that ddrace is a huge mod and requires a lot of developers time; and it's quite hard to implement ddrace and vanilla in one server program without any bugs.

Dune is totally right. Take him serious. It's not too hard for him to play DDRace, but maybe it's too hard for you to write a good post.

Besides it would be very easy to implement ddrace features.

11 (edited by mousecat 2013-10-26 00:28:35)

okay! thanks for giving each point a fair shot

Now that i think of it, im sure the learning curve isnt actually that steep when time comes where tutorials will be added

Landil wrote:

levels suck, but adding some achievement might be quite nice

i 100% agree with that.

Landil wrote:
Arrob wrote:

Yes, the reason is: DDRace is not teeworlds. If anyone wants to make a game like DDRace they are welcome to do it. But teeworlds developers develop teeworlds and not DDRaceworlds.

thats no counterargument to what i said. giving a multiplayer game a coop does not make it a different game, the style is the same, mechanics are the same, gameplay is the same with the exception of the freeze tile.
i also would NOT simply merge ddrace into official teeworlds, there are many features that give new possibilities but also make the gameplay weird und not feeling original (and teeish), like lasers or speedup. look carefully which features do fit and which do not.

to be honest, your argument sounds like there is ideological stubborness among the developers not to adapt bigger (!) features from the community just because its not their own code/idea.

Landil wrote:
Shahan wrote:
Dune wrote:

Dune is totally right. Take him serious. It's not too hard for him to play DDRace, but maybe it's too hard for you to write a good post.

actually his post is good.
1. there simply wasnt a single reason posted before dune's post why ddrace shouldnt get official, the only statement regarding that was your "Making DDRace official? lol". this is NOT "some good reasons". so his post was not totally right, but wrong by fact. and if you also try to end a legit discussion in the same post again with no reason, thats just hate for me.
2. He actually gave the first possible and legit reasons why not making ddrace official. If you say its just to difficult/time consuming to code i can easily accept that, but not ideological stubborness.

Arrob wrote:

thats no counterargument to what i said. giving a multiplayer game a coop does not make it a different game, the style is the same, mechanics are the same, gameplay is the same with the exception of the freeze tile.
i also would NOT simply merge ddrace into official teeworlds, there are many features that give new possibilities but also make the gameplay weird und not feeling original (and teeish), like lasers or speedup. look carefully which features do fit and which do not.

Oh yes it is. It is a total differet game. Do you have to kill a tee or to capture a flag? No. Do you use any weapons? No. It has a different game play so it is a different game.
And we will test if accellerators might be good for vanilla teeworlds, but we won't change the standard setting "kill other tees to win".

to be honest, your argument sounds like there is ideological stubborness among the developers not to adapt bigger (!) features from the community just because its not their own code/idea.

I do not take this serious. We are actually asking the community for ideas and discuss it with them.

actually his post is good.
1. there simply wasnt a single reason posted before dune's post why ddrace shouldnt get official, the only statement regarding that was your "Making DDRace official? lol". this is NOT "some good reasons". so his post was not totally right, but wrong by fact. and if you also try to end a legit discussion in the same post again with no reason, thats just hate for me.
2. He actually gave the first possible and legit reasons why not making ddrace official. If you say its just to difficult/time consuming to code i can easily accept that, but not ideological stubborness.

We've discussed this point hundreds of times before. No need to discuss it again. DDRace will not become official. Never.

It's not because only two people are presenting the developers point of view/mindset that there is an actual guy or couple of guys that decide everything on his own and makes Teeworlds development direction decisions a dictatorship.

The reason the devs think this way is because they are grown-up players, that know Teeworlds for a long time and know what will benefit to it. In 1 year, you'll probably be completely bored of DDRace (and thus of Teeworlds) because it's such a casual, fun-at-first but not competitive on the long run game.

On the other side, there are people that play vanilla for like 5 years and would still play if it was as active as before.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Landil wrote:

Oh yes it is. It is a total differet game. Do you have to kill a tee or to capture a flag? No. Do you use any weapons? No. It has a different game play so it is a different game.
And we will test if accellerators might be good for vanilla teeworlds, but we won't change the standard setting "kill other tees to win".

i can now tell you that ddrace/race also use weapons, most important hammer/rocket, or that ctf is playable mostly without killing other tees (eg you can block flag carriers on ctf5 which is wuite effective) and definitly not "kill other tees to win".
but more important is that i clearly see that you cannot distinguish between game and gametype/mode.

Dune wrote:

The reason the devs think this way is because they are grown-up players, that know Teeworlds for a long time and know what will benefit to it. In 1 year, you'll probably be completely bored of DDRace (and thus of Teeworlds) because it's such a casual, fun-at-first but not competitive on the long run game.

On the other side, there are people that play vanilla for like 5 years and would still play if it was as active as before.

lol, first of all i play since ~2006. some vanilla, insta until i found race which was and is my favourite. the reason i play ddrace that much is because sadly race is dead and it has a fun concept too.
i feel that i cant play vanilla more than half an hour without getting bored, but ddrace/race for several hours.
i do not see any concurrence in this mod, atleast it isnt for me. if i want to kill other tees i play vanilla, but if i want to take a challenge with other tees or solo i play ddrace/race. if these mod wouldnt exist i would just exit the game and play another one that offers me solo/coop challenges, and go back if i want to play vanilla.

you do not seem to know those mods very much if you say they are casual and non competitive. if you play them youll realise that their is no real limit in how good you can become, just like vanilla (which is one reason i love this game). their only big drawback is that they require a advanced knowledge of the mechanics to be played, which opposes easy to learn, but can be solved with some (real) beginnermaps or tutorials.

also you seem to be very particular when it comes to choose your playerbase. i dont know of many other game that even hopes to bind its playerbase for 1 year. but you are even unhappy if this is managed by a single mod. you just want the players who stay forever and only play vanilla.

shootmania came out 1 year ago, and now ~50% of its players play obstacle, which is a similar (also unofficial) mod to race. players want (solo) challenges, not everyone wants to kill others 24/7.

Dune wrote:

In 1 year, you'll probably be completely bored of DDRace (and thus of Teeworlds) because it's such a casual, fun-at-first but not competitive on the long run game.

No proof in your words, I'd prefer believe statistics. Still the most played mod: http://teeworlds-stats.info/general
I know people who were completely bored of teeworlds in a week or even less.
I don't know anyone, who became bored of DDRace in a year. Got bored at start or at least in 2 years.
I know, that DDRace clans leave longer, than clans who play other mods.
I know many people, who play DDRace only.
I know many people, who play everything exept vanilla.
I know not many people who plays vanilla, they all also play DDRace with me.
And I know Dune, he is the only known for me guy, who hates DDRace.

I'll repeat - even though I feel like it's useless - that there is not one tyrannical developer (and even less me, I'm not even involved in that) that decides everything against common sense.

I should have closed the topic at this point already:

Dune wrote:

This kind of topic is very recurrent and brings very few fresh arguments.

Reopened topic on request. // Dune

Not Luck, Just Magic.

By the topic:
mousecat is right about the website. The first thing that most of the new players see - homepage. It's not ready for them and doesn't look kindly.
Landil started preparing homepage for the best future, but page style is not the only thing that should be changed. Please, change the screenshots, they are older than YemDX's  teeworlds game experience.
Also,mousecat is right about trailer. Let's go to the website of any game (minecraft or battlefield, no difference) - they all have youtube trailer on the main page. Making gameplay video is rather easy, just write request for the communitee, make a competition "Make Teeworlds Trailer and Win $10". Even for $1 many people will participate.

About advertising: teeworlds doesn't need it imo. Probably, it should be registered in some game catalogues (smth like Ubuntu download Center), and it's more than enough.

Make Teeworlds Trailer and Win $10

Teeworlds isn't a company, it's not going to invest money to get more players or something.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

How about finding sponsors then?

It's not a matter of not having money, it just looks wrong to give a prize money for contests or work.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

22 (edited by mousecat 2013-10-28 15:40:51)

Dune wrote:

It's not a matter of not having money, it just looks wrong to give a prize money for contests or work.

Hello

If possible, please tell us why you believe so  if you are going to give an opinion so we are  productive when we discuss both sides of the argument. smile

mousecat wrote:
Dune wrote:

Hello

If possible, please tell us why you believe so  if you are going to give an opinion so we are  productive when we discuss both sides of the argument. smile

we all do this for free. This is open source

We all do it for free -> we all want to see our names in credits.

Anyways, I was writing about making Trailer Movie. Many people are able to make awesome videos about teeworlds, some such videos already exists. All you need - just write requirements for the movie. I'm pretty sure that anyone will make it for Teeworlds.

I wrote about money as about example of motivation. Probably, loving teeworlds might also be motivation :3

25 (edited by Broken 2013-10-28 19:57:13)

Shahan, the fact is, the developers don't really play Teeworlds and in my experience don't understand the attitude of real regular players. And I don't demand or expect differently... but no one is "at the helm," as it were, with a player-consistent overriding vision of what keep players playing Teeworlds. This is *not* a criticism, just a fact of life. So we basically have a cool game idea, the TW engine, that is just barely kept up by semi-disinterested parties and some of the players really see the beauty of it, but start to wonder or wish for more, and this just won't happen the way things are currently. But TW is still a great game only for what it is.