Re: [Discussion thread] Name 3 things you want to see in 0.7

Teelevision wrote:

I also want to add my thoughts to this suggestion:

Racoon wrote:

- less mods/a system that developers must allow every new mod in teeworlds before it goes public

Teeworlds has a license that allows altering and publishing. This would only work if the license was changed in a way that Teeworlds wouldn't be free software anymore. And free software is awesome! Modding is a part of Teeworlds. There wouldn't be half the players - I guess - if there weren't mods. It brings a variety that I couldn't find in any other game and it's the reason why I'm still into it. I know that it would be great if the vanilla game type was more in the spotlight. But that has to be accomplished in a way that doesn't include enforcements or controlling, but in a way that for example makes vanilla more present, like featured servers, events or a separated mod server browser, and without discouraging people who want to play Teeworlds differently.

I think Racoon meant that admins should not allow all moded gametypes to register on the master servers and check each new mod and add it to the list manually. This can be done with the code still remaining GPL or GPL compatible. I like the fact that master accepts all gametypes. It encourages modding and as you said modding is part of TW. Requests like this make me feel like I'm the only one knowing that you can filter out mods.

There wouldn't be half the players - I guess - if there weren't mods.

Don't state this like it's obvious. I believe there would be twice the players if there weren't mods.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

28 (edited by PhOen!X' 2013-09-16 12:36:27)

I don't think like you, maybe you right, there wouldn't be some players, but not as half.

And I like the Account-System idea, cause it's prevents fakes... This is very nice...

I'm a god.

Dune wrote:

Don't state this like it's obvious. I believe there would be twice the players if there weren't mods.

Thanks for commenting on the least relevant aspect of my post instead of the suggestions I made in the very same post. Which I will repeat:

"I know that it would be great if the vanilla game type was more in the spotlight. But that has to be accomplished in a way that doesn't include enforcements or controlling, but in a way that for example makes vanilla more present, like featured servers, events or a separated mod server browser, and without discouraging people who want to play Teeworlds differently."

Banning mods from the master server will lead to the pre-0.5 state where mods where imitating vanilla gametypes, which was the reason for introducing custom gametypes. Don't forget that.
Also, banning all mods could result in a Teeworlds fork with own master servers.

I don't think it would be a good idea to fight mods. So instead one could think of ways making vanilla more present and attractive. Like I did above.

Noone has talked about "fighting mods", that will just not happen, so it's useless to argue about it. Teeworlds is and will stay completely open source. We do not ban mods and we won't.

Before 0.5, mods were NOT banned, it's just that there was no clear distinction in the gametype field of the servers between modifications and regular servers. This no-puregametype-for-servers rule was only introduced once servers could broadcast as non CTF/DM/TDM.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Why do people ask for a new skin system?

frecel wrote:

Why do people ask for a new skin system?

Cause it's more customizable, and easier.

I'm a god.

HMH wrote:

Save all server IPs clientsided in a special file which is loaded every start.
This list could be updated sometimes by master servers to remove unused IPs and to add new servers.
(less stress for master servers and less time to display serverlist)

Better handling of text:
-copy and paste
-scrolling through remote/local console and chat

ELO-system and semi-autojoin ctf/dm/tdm
(without accounts of course):

a) Elo-system

For all vanilla matches statistics are saved (client sided) and out of this a skill-value is created.
-skill-value should be something like this: [kills * (skill-value of victim / own skill-value) + (captures * 5) ] / time.

This only if you are skilled:
Your position in a ctf game could be calculated too: captures/time (higher value = attacker, low value = defender)

This values could make autoteambalance much better and teams more fair.

b) semi-autojoin

With this values the best servers (players with approximately same skill playing there) to join are calculated.
Maybe Top 10 is displayed and you can choose one.

I like the ideas 1 and 2 but the ELO system without accounts wouldn't work. It would be too easy for players to modify their stats.
Also where did you get the idea that defence requires less skill than attack? Most people, on any skill level, have their own preference of what position they like to play and this has more to do with what they like than with their skill.

If you want to get into higher level games then hangout at #teeworlds-na on quakenet and if there is nothing going on there go yell at people who hang out at inspire ddrace servers that you want to play. This works much better than some broken ELO system would.

I like  "ELO-system" idea :

I like the ideas 1 and 2 but the ELO system without accounts wouldn't work. It would be too easy for players to modify their stats.

Yes it would be easy, but it's just client side, it's for help the player to know his level and find players with same level. There is no advantage to hack it. If a player is considered as low level, servers with low level players will be propose, but he could chose any server with hight level player if he prefer be own big_smile

But i dont like the position system, simpler is better tongue

35 (edited by HMH 2013-09-23 21:48:55)

frecel wrote:

Also where did you get the idea that defence requires less skill than attack? Most people, on any skill level, have their own preference of what position they like to play and this has more to do with what they like than with their skill.

The value calculated for your position does not show your skill.
It just shows if you are an attacker or a defender.
This could be useful for higher skilled players to search a ctf-match where for example a defender is needed.

frecel wrote:

It would be too easy for players to modify their stats.

Yes you are right since teeworlds is open source it would be easy to modify stats, but there is no reason to do this as cris272 already explained.

except this:
Trolls are everywhere roll =

To avoid something like 1000 kills / second there should be a maximum skill-value which is checked server-sided and if it is too high the Server would not send it to the other clients (send a 0).

Luck is allowed

An ELO in stricter environment would be cooler, only counting complete even matches (1v1-and up) not pub ctfs, and only adjusting the ELO after a full game.

This really creates motivations for people and matches up even rivals.

cris272 wrote:

Yes it would be easy, but it's just client side, it's for help the player to know his level and find players with same level. There is no advantage to hack it. If a player is considered as low level, servers with low level players will be propose, but he could chose any server with hight level player if he prefer be own big_smile

But i dont like the position system, simpler is better tongue

Some people consider the ability to troll others an advantage. ELO rating is only worth something if it is accurate. If it is just a trust based system you might as well call your servers "noobs only" or "pros only" and trust that people who join adhere to the name. It works just as well and saves the developers some time.

HMH wrote:

The value calculated for your position does not show your skill.
It just shows if you are an attacker or a defender.
This could be useful for higher skilled players to search a ctf-match where for example a defender is needed.

How will the game know what position are you playing? Will the game track you on the map and then decide what your skill is on every position? What you play mid and the opposing team is constantly pushing you into defence position? Or maybe you will have to pick a position from a list before a game and stick to it. But then if you change a position from lets say def to att and forget to change your position in options the ELO script will count you as a bad defender even if you were playing a good attack. I just don't see how this would work.

Also in clan games every clan member has an assigned position and other clan members know positions of other clan members. In pubs and pick-ups it doesn't really matter that much if all players play their best positions. So client side ELO system for ctf games is IMHO a broken solution to a non-existing issue.

HMH wrote:

Yes you are right since teeworlds is open source it would be easy to modify stats, but there is no reason to do this as cris272 already explained.

except this:
Trolls are everywhere roll =

To avoid something like 1000 kills / second there should be a maximum skill-value which is checked server-sided and if it is too high the Server would not send it to the other clients (send a 0).

Open source is not at all an issue here, it's the fact that the rating would be stored client side. If closing the source would be a solution to securing online games there would be no aimbots, triggerbots and other hacks in closed sourced games.

Over time the average ELO score of players will grow and eventually someone is bound to go over the score limit. Which means there will be tons of noobs who will run around with their ELO score at the limit allowed by the master and a few players who got to the limit by legitimate means and locked their clients to not add anything to their elo score so it won't get nulled by the master server who will be dismissed as one of those noobs because there is no way to actually verify how people got their score.

Also there is one more issue. Can someone here figure out a mathematical formula that will calculate a number that accurately represents one player's average performance level?

Regarding the in-game chat system.

Would it be an idea to integrate an IRC chat function into the game? So that all conversations that occur in-game are mirrored on IRC and other people can chat there too, on IRC, and this be seen in -game? Ok, this would require 'mute' functions to prevent distraction and an option to limit visible chat to those playing in your game now... but is this an option?

39 (edited by Pathos 2013-10-21 23:32:56)

How about enabling game servers having the choice to also become chat servers separately?

Sorry if these have been discussed before. Here are my suggestions.

UI
Good main menu
Good settings from the main menu above
Bad controls settings menu from the menu above
The current (better) controls settings menu
Server list suggested changes
Server list suggested changes result
Fix auto-scrolling when refreshing servers list
Add history of visited servers tab--available settings for remembering how many (whether it be 0 or 10)

In-game
In-game menu
Voting bars
Make favorite button more visible somewhere (and place somewhere more intuitive)
Ability to change vote (yes/no)
Make vote reasons optional (or get rid of it all together for potential flaming with it)--typing while urgently playing a game is a hassle

Gameplay
New flag-gates, where people holding the flag cannot pass through the flag-gates, forcing them to take another path
Disable dynamic camera on default

Application
Similar to the Teerace system and its ties with race.teesites.net, we could have a in-game log in system with a key, registered with this forum. (Why not tie everything together in one site?)
Some old anti-AB discussion--account system could be good because of this (of course PMing system would be nice)

Lastly, looking at some clan war videos, it seems like shotguns and grenades are used extensively while lasers are not. Perhaps this calls for a buff to the lasers.

The discussion thread is still open, not the name 3 things you want to see in 0.7
Do not post the three things here. Keep them in your mind. Otherwise I will delete them.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

@JinAndJuice
Poor Maxixdxd... sad

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

Here's my idea of resolving the problem of "custom skins visible for all" - well, the transparent skins could be a problem, but it can be easily resolved. I think this thread is what's it all about.
There could be a new added option to disable all (or single player's) skins in menu or scoreboard. That would turn his custom skin to default one.
- And that would bring another feature for user to change that default skin to whatever skin he likes. He would be able to turn every player into little round piggies for example.. big_smile

So what do you think? I want to see someone's opinion on what I just wrote...

Landil wrote:

The discussion thread is still open, not the name 3 things you want to see in 0.7
Do not post the three things here. Keep them in your mind. Otherwise I will delete them.

I can't find this thread. Can you link please?

JinAndJuice wrote:
Landil wrote:

I can't find this thread. Can you link please?

This is the [discussion thread]. The original thread is closed, because we analyzed the feedback.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

I finally found the thread.

So, what exactly was the result of the analysis? Are there any updates on the progress?

JinAndJuice wrote:

So, what exactly was the result of the analysis? Are there any updates on the progress?

TW-Player of the official forum mainly want
- an account system
- more complex game play
- the new skin system

47 (edited by Pathos 2013-10-26 07:58:14)

What's the progress on the development?

Is the account system going to be similar to race.teesites.net, where you have a hash/salt code you type in-game?

I agree with everyone above, and I think the most urgent thing that we need is a skin system where we download the tee's custom skins automatically. I hate seeing the default skin.
$_$ ^_^

Broski/Surya/sün

Broski wrote:

I agree with everyone above, and I think the most urgent thing that we need is a skin system where we download the tee's custom skins automatically. I hate seeing the default skin.
$_$ ^_^

I'm glad that I do not see any custom skin

Broski wrote:

$_$ ^_^

There is many good custom skin, but there is many bad custom skin too. I prefer select which skin i can see than automatically download every custom skin.