1 (edited by yemDX 2013-09-02 20:10:52)

Topic: nya yemdx and Landil discussion thread

Thank God this was made. I don't know what the Teeworlds community would have done without a tutorial on how to make curved hooks. Maybe next make a tutorial on making tee eyes? The Teeworlds fanart community needs saving.

Keep your insulting ironic tone away from here. // Dune
This was not meant to be irony, but rather, sarcasm. It's a funnier way of me saying I think making something like this and posting it in the Developer Journals subforum is a waste of time and this time could be spent elsewhere instead of making a really silly tutorial on how to make curved hooks. Perhaps a tutorial on contributing to the Teeworlds source code would be better? // yemDX

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Re: nya yemdx and Landil discussion thread

yemDX wrote:

Thank God this was made. I don't know what the Teeworlds community would have done without a tutorial on how to make curved hooks. Maybe next make a tutorial on making tee eyes? The Teeworlds fanart community needs saving.

YEAH!!! SAVE THE FANART......and stuff

Fanartist
Good can't exist without evil, thats why i love being both
Virus

yemDX

why not make your own site, then you can post on it what you like

mushoku-no

Donate 1000$ and i'm sure, he will make one tutorial you like, and not he likes to create.
I think it's up to our devs what they are doing with there sparetime.

OnTopic: Gj Landil, foreseeing some ninja images in move!

5 (edited by yemDX 2013-09-02 23:35:30)

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Donate 1000$ and i'm sure, he will make one tutorial you like, and not he likes to create.
I think it's up to our devs what they are doing with there sparetime.

OnTopic: Gj Landil, foreseeing some ninja images in move!

OffTopic: Who does the donation money go to? I'd gladly donate $1,000 if someone like Oy got it. Anyone else, and, well... let's just say I'd want it to go to someone who wouldn't spend it on beer money.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

yemDX wrote:

Keep your insulting ironic tone away from here. // Dune
This was not meant to be irony, but rather, sarcasm. It's a funnier way of me saying I think making something like this and posting it in the Developer Journals subforum is a waste of time and this time could be spent elsewhere instead of making a really silly tutorial on how to make curved hooks. Perhaps a tutorial on contributing to the Teeworlds source code would be better? // yemDX

Yay, that's the way I "love". Criticizing everything without having any expertise. Yemdx mixes teeworlds graphical development with code development. Maybe I should follow his suggestion and make a tutorial for how to optimize the graphical appearance of teeworlds code. This will ofc help to improve teeworlds.

I honestly love his idea for creating a tutorial about teeworlds eyes. I prefer anything which helps people to be creative and create anything on their own. That's far more better than being destructive and bashing on other people.
A lot of players love teeworlds because it is simple. Even the graphics are. Everyone can draw 3 circles  and you will get sth. which looks somehow like a tee. Some people add a crappily drawn crown and voilà the king of tees is born. I wanna help people to improve their style and their inkscape skills. They do not know how to do it better, so there has to be someone who helps. Every active gfx developer and even some of the inactive ones once started by drawing teeworlds artwork. They followed tutorials like the one I created (the pimp my style series). And everytime they did it they learned a new technique or just practiced their skills. One of the recent people who prove I am right is XC22. Teworlds inspired and enabled him to draw. And he's quite good now as you can see. And if only one tutorial encourages one person to draw, it's totally worth it.

So instead of grousing all the time and bashing on everything you should shut up yemDX. Please, if you do not contribute anything practical simply pipe down.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Landil wrote:

Yay, that's the way I "love". Criticizing everything without having any expertise. Yemdx mixes teeworlds graphical development with code development.

Posts like this make me wonder if you don't understand what I say, or if you make assumptions. This is neither of those. This is not "Graphical development" as the only thing this will benefit is fan art and has nothing to do with anything official. This is a waste of time. This is not development. It's been three months since the last github commit.

Landil wrote:

I honestly love his idea for creating a tutorial about teeworlds eyes. I prefer anything which helps people to be creative and create anything on their own. That's far more better than being destructive and bashing on other people.

Incorrect. This is just me being picky, but a tutorial about Teeworlds eyes could only lead to one thing: another pointless stupid "teestyle" thing that people will be obligated to follow. I think the only time I've seen any non-traditional (aka teestyle) art from anyone was from you. Creativity clearly isn't something the Teeworlds community is strong in.

Landil wrote:

A lot of players love teeworlds because it is simple.

An assumption with no evidence, probably founded upon your own reasons for liking it.

Landil wrote:

Some people add a crappily drawn crown and voilà the king of tees is born.

I've always wanted to point this out: it's actually a queen's crown. Was supposed to be funny, but no one can tell the difference, so whatever.

Landil wrote:

I wanna help people to improve their style and their inkscape skills. They do not know how to do it better, so there has to be someone who helps. Every active gfx developer and even some of the inactive ones once started by drawing teeworlds artwork. They followed tutorials like the one I created (the pimp my style series). And everytime they did it they learned a new technique or just practiced their skills. One of the recent people who prove I am right is XC22. Teworlds inspired and enabled him to draw. And he's quite good now as you can see. And if only one tutorial encourages one person to draw, it's totally worth it.

There is no point for graphics development if there is no code development also.

Landil wrote:

So instead of grousing all the time and bashing on everything you should shut up yemDX. Please, if you do not contribute anything practical simply pipe down.

Anything practical? Please explain to me how this curved hook tutorial is practical. It doesn't contribute to the code, and the most it could do for graphics development is make some cute official art, which isn't what a video game is about. The art is fine now. The actual game needs to be updated now. At this point, everyone who actually plays the game is getting pissed off that nothing is actually happening.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

8 (edited by 2013-09-03 01:45:02)

your post is just another proof of your narrow minded view of teeworlds. Teeworlds is NOT only hardcore gaming for people who play teeworlds 6hrs a day.

Tutorials actually are part of the graphical development strategy in the sense of training people who might participate in official development in future. You cannot compare gfx dev with github commits.

I've seen douzens of non-teeish artworks in the past weeks, months and years. I get requests of giving feedback to teeworlds related graphics (logos, web designs, artwork, avatars ...) nearly on a daily basis. Just because you are not experiencing anything related with graphics does not mean it does not take place.
So assuming that my doing explanations are assumptions is just ridiculous. It's just once again you show us you do not have any knowledge about gfx development and community activities.

Gfx dev is possible without code changes. E.g. standardizing teeworlds design (creating teestyle rules), creating new tilesets for new maps, creating new tiles which improve existing tilesets, creating button graphics for the 0.7 layout, creating concepts for new game elements e.g. slopes, website design, new animations, map redesign...
all of this influences the game experience. Go and play 0.2 or 0.3 maps and then go and play 0.6 maps. you will feel the difference. Maybe you won't because you are one of the hardcore gamer who disable all graphical effects. Yeah, well, if you are, it does not make sense to go on.

Go and learn C++ and take part in development. If not, stay calm. Teeworlds is a project of people who have a real life. It's open source and if we are progressing slowly then be glad that there is progress and cheer everytime it's visible. Cheer even more if you can see that it's not dead.

It's funny to demand a graphics dev to create a code tut. You are addressing the wrong person.
In addition it's even more funny to demand such a tutorial for coding but you are not able to see the analogy at graphical development. Kids who do the artwork of today will be the developers of tomorrow. I started drawing crappy artworks, too. So being able to create curved hooks enables them to use the pattern along path technique for other graphics and maybe some official graphics in future.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

NOTE: Won't be replying to much of your post for reasons that I can send to you in PM or IRC PM if you'd like. I think you know what the reasons are. I've been laughing for at least an hour on Skype with some friends over this, so sorry if the reply is going to sound a little fishy/silly

Landil wrote:

It's funny to demand a graphics dev to create a code tut. You are addressing the wrong person.

Who'd know? You're a "Developer". Not a "Graphics Developer". Also, you're the only (active) "Developer" who posts on the forums, from the looks of it. Should I just go on IRC and highlight everyone and tell them my demands? Better yet, when did I demand that you make a code tut? I just said it's a waste of time to make something like this. I don't know or care what you do for Teeworlds (you do the art I guess, good job), you're still a "Developer" and everything I say to you is also directed at other "Developers".

Ex-King of Teeworlds

yemDX wrote:

NOTE: Won't be replying to much of your post for reasons that I can send to you in PM or IRC PM if you'd like. I think you know what the reasons are. I've been laughing for at least an hour on Skype with some friends over this, so sorry if the reply is going to sound a little fishy/silly

Well, I'd like to keep this discussion here. It's a good way to let others see how contemptuous you behave. While sitting together with your "friends" laughing I am sitting here and heavily trying to take you serious.

If you cannot tell the difference between a graphic developer and a code developer you can ask. I am sure people will help. And just because code devs usually do not participate in discussing things with impertinant forum members does not mean they do not read the forum. They are just tired of discussing the same things again and again.

Improving the quality of the community graphical creations is definitely a plus for the game.
Do not mix it with making it easier to code stuff for Teeworlds. If you are competent to make quality code for Teeworlds, you should not have problems handling the Teeworlds code.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Arguing with YemDX is like running in the special Olympics guys.

I think YemDX just doesn't understand how graphics design works in case of a game like TW.

In order for a game to look good the design has to be consistent and since anyone is welcome to contribute to TW tutorials are useful for people to understand what teestyle is. And since the difference between good and great design is in the details tutorials on even small things are needed.

frecel wrote:

I think YemDX just doesn't understand how graphics design works in case of a game like TW.

What do you mean?

YemDX is awesome!

Teeworlds!!!!