Topic: Hello there!

Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. There doesn't seem to be a specific section for new member introductions, so I chose this one. Feel free to move it if necessary.

I'm from the USA, Chicago area to be exact, and I set up a TW server for my clan, OFPR (ofprclan.com). We primarily play CS:GO, but I decided to add this game to have a change of pace occasionally. It's nice to see a game that is more popular in other parts of the world than it is in the US. I hope to get more people involved in this here.

I wanted to send a donation using the link at the top, but was unable to. I tried to log in, but the paypal site in a language I cannot understand did not accept my password. Should I send the payment instead to the gmail.com address listed at the top of the Paypal link site?

I poked around the forums here a bit and I like what you guys have set up. If you don't mind me making one note, this thread did not give off a good vibe:
https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10027

This game is fun, laid back, and enjoyable, and the forum should be reflective of that. Seeing several people banned over the violation of a "no memes" rule is quite petty. In fact, the very rule itself is quite petty. The fewer rules you have, the fewer you need to enforce. Acknowledgement of a culture divide should have been, at minimum, considered, especially as this game begins to grow in the US. If you guys want to expand, you need to understand that not everyone thinks like you. For example, I manage a website (out of 3 others that I have) specifically dedicated to memes and other funny images, because quite frankly, they're very funny to people out here. If you're curious, the site is baconbunker.com.

No sense in giving yourselves as moderators unnecessary work. Take this from me, as the Administrator/Head Moderator of CruzeTalk.com and Global Moderator of OFPRClan.com.

But, enough about that. I'm going to do as well as I can to spread word about this game in the US. I'm guessing you guys wouldn't mind it if the game became more popular. smile

Cheers!

2 (edited by Broken 2013-01-24 08:59:53)

Re: Hello there!

XtremeRevolution wrote:

This game is fun, laid back, and enjoyable, and the forum should be reflective of that.

Welcome xtreme. I love when people discover this little gem of a game.

I seriously agree with you here, the moderators are crazy uptight, especially for a little fun game like TW and a forum that gets about 3 posts a day, and many very young posters. But stuff like that happens you learn to live with it.

XtremeRevolution wrote:

I wanted to send a donation using the link at the top, but was unable to. I tried to log in, but the paypal site in a language I cannot understand did not accept my password. Should I send the payment instead to the gmail.com address listed at the top of the Paypal link site?

Hey, did you fill in the money amount at left before logging in? You have to do that or you get an error message.

Welcome!

XtremeRevolution wrote:

Seeing several people banned over the violation of a "no memes" rule is quite petty. In fact, the very rule itself is quite petty.

This is a myth. Noone has been banned for that.

I got to go now, will see about your issuew when I'll be back.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

XtremeRevolution wrote:

This game is fun, laid back, and enjoyable, and the forum should be reflective of that. Seeing several people banned over the violation of a "no memes" rule is quite petty. In fact, the very rule itself is quite petty. The fewer rules you have, the fewer you need to enforce. Acknowledgement of a culture divide should have been, at minimum, considered, especially as this game begins to grow in the US. If you guys want to expand, you need to understand that not everyone thinks like you. For example, I manage a website (out of 3 others that I have) specifically dedicated to memes and other funny images, because quite frankly, they're very funny to people out here. If you're curious, the site is baconbunker.com.

Please understand that this is the official website of a game.
Its main task is to inform about the game, issues people encounter, and community-stuff about this game (tutorials, graphics, maps, mods...),
not to discuss about the newest memes outta here.

Its simply the wrong place and makes things more difficult (threads get blowed up with big pictures and senseless and useless posts...).

Answering the parts I hadn't time to:

XtremeRevolution wrote:

According to matricks, donations are still available. It's just a swedish paypal I believe. Maybe some of the members who already donated can help him?

XtremeRevolution wrote:

I poked around the forums here a bit and I like what you guys have set up. If you don't mind me making one note, this thread did not give off a good vibe:

If you actually look into the topic you'll see it was just the predictable "teeworlds-is-dead-we-ll-never-see-the-next-version" before every release. Ah, and be prepared for the post-release "old-version-was-way-better-noone-is-playing-the-new" topics.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

6 (edited by 2013-01-24 23:41:20)

Broken wrote:
XtremeRevolution wrote:

This game is fun, laid back, and enjoyable, and the forum should be reflective of that.

Welcome xtreme. I love when people discover this little gem of a game.

I seriously agree with you here, the moderators are crazy uptight, especially for a little fun game like TW and a forum that gets about 3 posts a day, and many very young posters. But stuff like that happens you learn to live with it.

XtremeRevolution wrote:

Hey, did you fill in the money amount at left before logging in? You have to do that or you get an error message.

This really is a little gem of a game. I see great potential here in the states for something like this, given the right infrastructure and exposure. Have you guys considered pitching this game on STEAM Greenlight? If STEAM accepts the game, they will make it available. In case any of you don't know what it is, STEAM is a software distribution platform that is extremely popular here in the states among all games. No PC gamer here has not heard of STEAM. It was originally created by Valve (Half-Life, Counter-Strike, etc.), but now hosts a large myriad of games. Getting on their list would allow for significant growth.

I did not fill in the money amount before logging in. I did not know that I had to. I will have to give that  a try once I determine what the currency conversion is.

Dune wrote:

Answering the parts I hadn't time to:

XtremeRevolution wrote:

According to matricks, donations are still available. It's just a swedish paypal I believe. Maybe some of the members who already donated can help him?

XtremeRevolution wrote:

If you actually look into the topic you'll see it was just the predictable "teeworlds-is-dead-we-ll-never-see-the-next-version" before every release. Ah, and be prepared for the post-release "old-version-was-way-better-noone-is-playing-the-new" topics.

I perfectly understand your position, and having been in your position at least once in the past, I know what it's like. I frequented the Black Mesa Source forums for the last few years, and I can tell you that your experience and headaches pale in comparison to the ones those dev members were subjected to. The game has a massive following and was supposed to be released in 2009 after several years of development. However, they rolled back the release as they were unhappy with it, and for the following years, their only status update was "it will be ready when it's ready." Considering the immense fan base for that game, you can imagine their difficulty when the game was finally released in the 3rd quarter of 2012. That's nearly a 10 year wait, and it only includes the first 2/3 of the game to boot!

Slayer *gV* wrote:
XtremeRevolution wrote:

Please understand that this is the official website of a game.
Its main task is to inform about the game, issues people encounter, and community-stuff about this game (tutorials, graphics, maps, mods...),
not to discuss about the newest memes outta here.

Its simply the wrong place and makes things more difficult (threads get blowed up with big pictures and senseless and useless posts...).

I do understand that this is the official website of a game. However, take the forum I run as a parallel. On CruzeTalk.com, we have a section specifically for Off-Topic discussion. In addition, we have two lightly moderated sections inside that Off-Topic section. Despite being an automotive forum dedicated to the Chevrolet Cruze (which many of you may have seen, perhaps as a Daewoo Lacetti or a Holden Cruze), we maintain that Off-Topic section in order to give people a place to post such content to keep it out of the on-topic sections. It is far easier to give people a place to post off-topic content than it is to moderate the entire forum to consistently remove off-topic content, if you know what I mean.

Furthermore, the off-topic sections allow people to get to know each other on a more personal level, which builds a sense of community and camaraderie and keeps people on the forums, which in turn makes them more likely to contribute and help others in the on-topic sections. It makes my job easier as an administrator/moderator, and makes my forum more attractive. Currently, CruzeTalk.com is the largest, most active, and most rapidly growing Cruze forum on the internet.

While the purpose of the forum is primarily dedicated to this game as you pointed out, what gain is there in limiting it to relevant topics? Taking a more laid-back and minimalist-rule approach to forum moderation encourages the sense of community and camaraderie I mentioned before, which makes people feel more like they belong to this community and makes them far more likely to spread the word and stay active in the sections that matter more.

I think the words spoken by Broken speak volumes:

I seriously agree with you here, the moderators are crazy uptight, especially for a little fun game like TW and a forum that gets about 3 posts a day, and many very young posters.

I'm not trying to start trouble, but instead offering some advice that perhaps you may find useful. I don't intend to offend anyone by offering advice that wasn't asked for. I'm merely point out that it would be beneficial to the success and exposure of this game if the forum was just as fun and enjoyable as the game it supports. This is, of course, based on an initial observation from my limited time spent here.