Topic: Why do more people play DDRACE than vanilla?

Why do more people play DDRACE than vanilla?

All you do in DDRACE is go past obstacles, and if you fail, you can just type /r or wait for your friend to help you out of the immovablers. In vanilla, you are actually punished for doing bad, and there actually is team work. In DDRACE some guy just volunteers to go into the immovablers while the other guys drag them through it. I don't see how this is fun. If anyone could explain to me why being dragged through immovablers is fun, I'd like to know, because all I see DDRACE as right now is a cancer killing the Teeworlds community, very slowly.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Re: Why do more people play DDRACE than vanilla?

I agree.
Teeworlds vanilla is  more fun.
And you get more skilled.
Don't forget other mods. There are other mods that you get punished for doing bad. Those are the ones I play. And vanilla.
DDRACE is really boring too.
Heres teh thing: DDRACE is easier than vanilla and other competitive mods.
That's why more people play DDRACE than vaniila.
Me, I just play competitive mods that give me a huge challenge.
Like instagib,freeeze,catch,and vanilla.

no

3 (edited by Broken 2012-08-13 04:10:29)

The argument that DDRace is somehow killing vanilla is so illogical it's hard to know where to begin refuting. But suffice to say, it's pretty obviously an incredibly simplistic unfounded assumption to assume a direct correlation between two corresponding variances. See the pirates vs global warming for a simple illustration.

http://bama.ua.edu/~sprentic/101%20pirates-temp.jpg

I understand that Vanilla players are puzzled that less people are playing, but to draw such a shallow conclusion seems an apparent mistake.

Correlation does not equal causation.

4 (edited by yemDX 2012-08-13 05:24:59)

Broken wrote:

The argument that DDRace is somehow killing vanilla is so illogical it's hard to know where to begin refuting. But suffice to say, it's pretty obviously an incredibly simplistic unfounded assumption to assume a direct correlation between two corresponding variances. See the pirates vs global warming for a simple illustration.

http://bama.ua.edu/~sprentic/101%20pirates-temp.jpg

I understand that Vanilla players are puzzled that less people are playing, but to draw such a shallow conclusion seems an apparent mistake.

Correlation does not equal causation.

It's actually killing the Teeworlds community, not just vanilla. Slowly, more and more very stupid people play Teeworlds. If you do an IQ test of all the vanilla players, and then all the DDRACE players, you'll notice vanilla will probably end up with a higher average IQ.

Pirates and global warming have nothing to do with eachother, but vanilla and DDRACE are both sets of gametypes. They're definitely related.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

5 (edited by mASOUD 2012-08-13 05:49:53)

yemDX wrote:

Why do more people play DDRACE than vanilla?

All you do in DDRACE is go past obstacles, and if you fail, you can just type /r or wait for your friend to help you out of the immovablers. In vanilla, you are actually punished for doing bad, and there actually is team work. In DDRACE some guy just volunteers to go into the immovablers while the other guys drag them through it. I don't see how this is fun. If anyone could explain to me why being dragged through immovablers is fun, I'd like to know, because all I see DDRACE as right now is a cancer killing the Teeworlds community, very slowly.

No, If you're just getting dragged through the obstacles then you're not playing DDRACE, you're the one noob guy who the people playing the game are carrying to the finish line just to make the game more challenging.
I'm against /r. It defeats the whole purpose of the game (which is to finish the map in minimum time using your skills). With /r even a monkey can finish the map given enough time.

In DDRACE if you screw up you'll have to start over. You will need teamwork or else you can't finish a map like "hardcore" series. In DDRACE you have to know the physics engine of the game so well to predict what happens in unknown situations. I don't believe you can learn to "double rocket jump" in the heat of a CTF battle. You literally need to master the hook in some hard DDRACE maps.
What I mean is that you learn somethings in DDRACE that you couldn't easily learn in vanilla game play, which can be usefull in vanilla.
The first time I played teeworlds I couldn't move fast. In DDRACE you learn to use for example the "rocket" to go faster, else you'll fall into the pit.

I see the DDRACE mod as a training area for the vanilla. Hell most mods that are worse a damn are training areas for the vanilla game play. Openfng, instagib, zcatch? Lazer aiming practice. RACE, DDRACE? hook ( hooking only tiles in RACE + hooking other tees in DDRACE), jump, rocket: moving fast.

@Broken: I wish I could write English like you! hmm  also look how our avatars are similar although you look confused but I look relaxed. big_smile

But... what if we tried more power?

Because...

yemDX wrote:

All you do in DDRACE is go past obstacles, and if you fail, you can just type /r or wait for your friend to help you out of the immovablers.

All you do in CTF is try to get a flag, and if you fail, you just go to the start point and try again

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

Because...

yemDX wrote:

All you do in DDRACE is go past obstacles, and if you fail, you can just type /r or wait for your friend to help you out of the immovablers.

All you do in CTF is try to get a flag, and if you fail, you just go to the start point and try again

And then someone eats/kills you. big_smile
Or the oppisite. xD

no

Why do more ppl surf in the internet than playing esport games?
Its easy. Many ppl dont care about challenges, they just want to hang around.

Vanilla is very difficult and needs lots of skill, too many ppl dont want to spend that much time.

And sry HeroiAmarelo, but such comments hurt my heart.
If that's the way you always think, you won't have any hobby, do you?
And no, i don't expect any answer of you, it would be offtopic...its just about the fact, that any hobby is like doing the same thing all the time. NOT

9 (edited by Zodiac 2012-08-13 18:53:27)

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Vanilla is very difficult and needs lots of skill, too many ppl dont want to spend that much time.

And no, i don't expect any answer of you, it would be offtopic...its just about the fact, that any hobby is like doing the same thing all the time. NOT

I wasn't going to comment, but the level of ignorance by some people on this thread is just mind blowing. It doesn't have to do with one mod being "easier" than the other. I have played Vanilla and DDrace for a looong time, and the reason for me probably spending more time on DDrace than I do on Vanilla lately, purely has to do with the fact that DDrace DOES always challenge me with new and interesting maps.

In Vanilla there are like 3 widely played maps, whereas in DDrace there is always a map somewhere out there that I haven't completed so it never gets stale.

Also in regards to DDrace being "Easy" go do Hardcore 5+, Jailbreak 5, 6, Darkcore 1/2, First Try.... I could go on but I think I would just bore you guys. Of course if you play War4yh it will be easy. Of course if you just let everyone drag you through the maps it will be easy. Of course if you use /r (only available on some servers) it will be easy. DDrace and other mods like this isn't a cancer to Teeworlds it is keeping it alive. Not saying Vanilla isn't fun, its just all about having variety and being able to try out different gamestyles.

10 (edited by HeroiAmarelo 2012-08-13 19:14:04)

Slayer *gV* wrote:

Like you complaining about posts on dead topics or posting "Ideas only on the ideas topic"? smile
Anyway, you are right. Everyone knows my point. I will stop being annoying.

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

11 (edited by yemDX 2012-08-13 19:25:48)

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

Because...

yemDX wrote:

But that's wrong. In CTF you can do more than just try to get a flag. You can defend your own flag, or even hang around in the middle of the map, damaging runners so the defense has an easier time. Everyone can be helpful in their own way in CTF. In DDRACE you're either hooking the tee through the immovables or not. Plus, there has to be a guy who goes into the immovables. Do they really find that fun, going to into the immovables? It's slow, it's boring. Vanilla is like Quake and DDRACE is like Call of Duty.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

AvidTeeworlder wrote:
Slayer *gV* wrote:

I wasn't going to comment, but the level of ignorance by some people on this thread is just mind blowing. It doesn't have to do with one mod being "easier" than the other. I have played Vanilla and DDrace for a looong time, and the reason for me probably spending more time on DDrace than I do on Vanilla lately, purely has to do with the fact that DDrace DOES always challenge me with new and interesting maps.

In Vanilla there are like 3 widely played maps, whereas in DDrace there is always a map somewhere out there that I haven't completed so it never gets stale.

Also in regards to DDrace being "Easy" go do Hardcore 5+, Jailbreak 5, 6, Darkcore 1/2, First Try.... I could go on but I think I would just bore you guys. Of course if you play War4yh it will be easy. Of course if you just let everyone drag you through the maps it will be easy. Of course if you use /r (only available on some servers) it will be easy. DDrace and other mods like this isn't a cancer to Teeworlds it is keeping it alive. Not saying Vanilla isn't fun, its just all about having variety and being able to try out different gamestyles.

You got me wrong.
It wasn't any flame or critics about vanilla or ddrace.
Just my thoughts, that people (casual player, which probably most people are) prefer spending some time of a week to play some ddrace maps (where they don't need to train 5 months long) than playing 16hours a day ctf2 to get a high level player.

STOP!!!!!

Here a post i did some days ago in another topic:
Maybe the problem is that the new players are too lazy to become "skilled" in vanilla?
They join some servers, then they get in one with "highlevel" players, gets owned hard. Annoyed.
So they switch to easy Mods like ddrace. Where they wont die all 3 seconds (depends on map lol).
They dont need to have beasty movements in the ddrace maps, they dont need beasty aiming in ddrace maps. Just some nice/funny people to have some fun failing together and so on.

DDrace easy->more fun->more played than vanilla where you always get kicked because of bad guys like me.

15 (edited by yemDX 2012-08-13 23:00:34)

RUSterrorist wrote:

Here a post i did some days ago in another topic:
Maybe the problem is that the new players are too lazy to become "skilled" in vanilla?
They join some servers, then they get in one with "highlevel" players, gets owned hard. Annoyed.
So they switch to easy Mods like ddrace. Where they wont die all 3 seconds (depends on map lol).
They dont need to have beasty movements in the ddrace maps, they dont need beasty aiming in ddrace maps. Just some nice/funny people to have some fun failing together and so on.

DDrace easy->more fun->more played than vanilla where you always get kicked because of bad guys like me.

Pub ctf5 is pretty easy, usually high level players stay clear of it.. They can just play on that forever or something if they're scared of getting their ass kicked.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

AvidTeeworlder wrote:

DDrace has more playable maps, or even "good maps" if you'd call 'em that, because it's simpler to create those. Even though it may require a bit of creativity to come up with new obstacles, in most maps, there are only the same challenges, over and over again, maybe in a different order.
While vanilla maps have a more rigid and higher standard (and community), as we can clearly see with all this map rejection. I don't think it's vanilla community's fault though, we only want quality.

Thus I don't think new players don't choose vanilla because of the quantity of maps. I agree with RUSTerrorist here. I think they try vanilla (as the filter usually makes it easier to find vanilla servers) and end up being overwhelmed by more experienced players. They could try harder, join another lower level server but most of them just give up.
And then they find MODs. As we are talking about DDrace, DDrace is quite more welcoming, because even if you aren't good and have to spend a lot of time to achieve simple tasks, you'll end up doing it. DDrace has one variable, you (even though some maps require the assistance of other players). In vanilla there is you and there is your opponent.

Playing over and over on the same map isn't a problem for someone in vanilla. If a newcomer finds a server that suits his skill and grants him a good, playable enviroment, he'll stay there wink
The problem is those are hard to find... and don't mistake them with public ctf5 servers, they may be fun, but won't help newbies improve their skills much.

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

Here my little example:
I think teeworlds is very similar to cod (and here you think "what the heck is this idiot talking about?!). I don't mean the gameplay, that teeworlds is bad or that it's a 3d shooter. I guess everyone of you knows how horrible and unbalanced cod is and how fucking overpowerd some shit is. But the one of you who know cod4 promod, cod1 or cod2 know how nice and 'hell yeah' balanced is! And for me cod5-8 (and 9 very soon) are like most mods in teeworlds = you don't need skill, you are low if you play it and it keeps the "low IQs" and kids away. The old cods (1, 2 and 4 promod) are like vanilla in teeworlds = You REALLY have to train years to become good, you have no idiots or kids, you have less hackers and you can be sure that you are heterosexual. Old people who have already played the old cods and new a long time will understand this and only they won't say that I'm an idiot posting this pointless example here big_smile

AND I don't want a second community just for vanilla. This forum should be used way more and i think implementing the ideas of a vanilla forum here would be a waaay better solution. And maybe hack down every god damn ddrace forum page.

Pi_ wrote:

Here my little example:
I think teeworlds is very similar to cod (and here you think "what the heck is this idiot talking about?!). I don't mean the gameplay, that teeworlds is bad or that it's a 3d shooter. I guess everyone of you knows how horrible and unbalanced cod is and how fucking overpowerd some shit is. But the one of you who know cod4 promod, cod1 or cod2 know how nice and 'hell yeah' balanced is! And for me cod5-8 (and 9 very soon) are like most mods in teeworlds = you don't need skill, you are low if you play it and it keeps the "low IQs" and kids away. The old cods (1, 2 and 4 promod) are like vanilla in teeworlds = You REALLY have to train years to become good, you have no idiots or kids, you have less hackers and you can be sure that you are heterosexual. Old people who have already played the old cods and new a long time will understand this and only they won't say that I'm an idiot posting this pointless example here big_smile

AND I don't want a second community just for vanilla. This forum should be used way more and i think implementing the ideas of a vanilla forum here would be a waaay better solution. And maybe hack down every god damn ddrace forum page.

I agree completely. Especially the part about heterosexuals.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

19 (edited by Cart 2012-08-14 11:21:53)

I played every Mod for longer time know and I'm pretty sure that DDrace highlvl is easier than highlvl in Fly, Race and Vanilla(not Insta, it's easier and is only some laser training). Of course you come up with a map like First Try but I want to see you finishing a Racemap with same length, hard parts and only kill tiles(same for other long Maps)... In Vanilla people become better and better as the maps in other mods become longer and harder.

So why would nameless tee like to go to DDrace? Not because you think of highlvl maps but because you have some maps that you can play seriously and finishing them while you can't play real games on low lvl in vanilla because they either don't know or are just to stupid to have slots and positions(there should be a tutorial and some practice servers with right settings that are only for noobs srsly) and you can't expect to win there as you can expect to finsih some beginner DDrace maps.

[21:15:20] Tom-d1ed: das ist ja mal so
[21:15:21] Tom-d1ed: extrem schlecht

20 (edited by Learath2 2012-08-30 14:09:41)

Play a remarkable map and you will see the punishment. Ddrace is not drag thru thats a completely false statement there are way more creative concepts like hammer flying, hook flying, dragging, actually cooordinating movement in air.  /r is not DDRace its a modification based off DDRace.

The above part goes to yemDX.

WTF is going on with all of you bragging about how hard vanilla is and you are able to do it and DDRace is easy come do some hardcore maps with the designated amount of people . Lets see what is so easy about DDRace. If you go join a easy map that just requires you to double jump to finish of course its easy. You do need aim and skill in DDRace we dont just hook straight up to finish do we. DDRace needs training too.  Just be open minded for once and stop bragging about your beast skills at vanilla.

Conclusion DDRace can be just as hard and just as punishing like vanilla but unlike vanilla hardness depends on the map on DDRace instead of the opposing players like in vanilla.

Let the flame-storm begin.

I just code and play DDRace nothing fancy smile

Learath2.... dont try it, you lose time...

I do not know wrote:

Learath2.... dont try it, you lose time...

Enter the discussion with valid arguments or gtfo.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

23 (edited by DARK HUNTER 2012-08-30 18:14:31)

yemDX wrote:

If you do an IQ test of all the vanilla players, and then all the DDRACE players, you'll notice vanilla will probably end up with a higher average IQ.

You are joking,right? And if your serious: then I guess that your the one with a low level of intellect (now I'm joking)
One's IQ level doesn't affect one's taste in gametypes.

And DDRace CAN be fun...If you know where to look!

I also discourage the use of the rescue function (/r)

Learath2 wrote:

Play a remarkable map and you will see the punishment. Ddrace is not drag thru thats a completely false statement there are way more creative concepts like hammer flying, hook flying, dragging, actually cooordinating movement in air.  /r is not DDRace its a modification based off DDRace.

The above part goes to yemDX.

WTF is going on with all of you bragging about how hard vanilla is and you are able to do it and DDRace is easy come do some hardcore maps with the designated amount of people . Lets see what is so easy about DDRace. If you go join a easy map that just requires you to double jump to finish of course its easy. You do need aim and skill in DDRace we dont just hook straight up to finish do we. DDRace needs training too.  Just be open minded for once and stop bragging about your beast skills at vanilla.

Conclusion DDRace can be just as hard and just as punishing like vanilla but unlike vanilla hardness depends on the map on DDRace instead of the opposing players like in vanilla.

Let the flame-storm begin.

I think their problem is prejudice. Someone told them that DDRace is bad and they bought it like an ass for 10$ in jail. Do not let others corrupt your mind and sight;judge for yourself.

The firestorm grows strong.

Once in a century...

DDRace is only challenge, like a old races. But Vanilla is a skill, not fun, only hardcore

Lies, vanilla is the funiest, fastest and most entertaining thing i've ever seen. Simply because of the amount of possible moves, shots and tactical decisions. It's already enough to make it extremely fun.