Topic: [IDEA] Recommended servers list in server browser

Ok, so there was a few topics recently about vanilla popularity compared to mods (especially ddrace) popularity.
In my opinion if there is so many people playing ddrace it is because you can easily find a populated server and you know that you wont be alone on the server a few minutes after joining it. This is clearly not the case of vanilla.

Indeed let's take a look at how many players there is on each vanilla server atm:
221 vanilla servers
19 have 1 or more players (8.6%)
7 have 6 or more players (3.2%)

Now, ddrace servers (includes XXLDDRACE, +DDRACE, etc):
261 ddrace servers
75 have 1 or more players (28.7%)
31 have 6 or more players (11.9%)

So yeah there are way too many servers for the small number of vanilla players.
What happens is that the guy who almost never played Teeworlds, the typical nameless tee, he will join a random (generally low ping) vanilla server. But there will be like 3 players on the server, so he will have a poor gaming experience, because Teeworlds is way more fun when there is a lot of players.
Plus, what will happen is that some players will leave and he will be very soon alone on the server. sad
Who wants to play Teeworlds alone when there are 1000 others players online!

So if we want nameless tee to have a positive experience while playing vanilla, we should recommend him a server where there is already quite a lot of players. ctf5 is much more fun when there is 12 players than when there is only 3, right? smile

So here is my idea:
In the server browser you would have a short list of populated servers (mostly vanilla servers ofc).
The recommended servers are different for each player and they can change at any moment depending on:
- The ping (we don't want to recommend an American server if you live in Europe!)
- The skill level of the server (it's always a better experience to play with/against people of the same skill level!)
- The number of players in the server (we don't want to recommend a ctf1 server with 10 players nor a ctf5 server with 4 players!)

About the server skill level, the server admin would be able to set it himself. If he decides that it will be a server for beginners, then only beginners will see his server in the recommended server list!

That way, our nameless tee will have a better experience if he joins one of the recommended servers! big_smile

Discuss!
Please don't go offtopic. This thread is not about "ddrace sucks qq only noobs plays it", it's about the idea of recommended servers list! wink

Re: [IDEA] Recommended servers list in server browser

Hey, it's quite a good idea!

choupom wrote:

About the server skill level, the server admin would be able to set it himself. If he decides that it will be a server for beginners, then only beginners will see his server in the recommended server list!

But how will you subdivide skill levels?
I mean will there be just a checkbox where the player could choose his actual level or something else?

Just sort the servers for number of connected clients, not names.

And about the skill level:
I would love to see this. A setting "sv_level" can change between Low, Mid and High - Level and in the server browser you will see a little sign as notification (mb green, yellow and red circles or something similar).
A popup warning could be used to notify players (no spam, just the first time you join a mid or high level server (e.g. "Warning: This server is running for Midlevel players. Do you want to get raped? <Yes pls> <No>"

But this feature was requested about thousand years ago hundred of times and wasn't implemented yet, sadly :\

I like this idea...

There could be 3 or 4 pinned servers (on the top of server list). They'd be selected based on ping and number of players.

No matter what your filter selection is, the servers would still appear up there.

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

Old idea, already proposed for 0.7.

6 (edited by DARK HUNTER 2012-08-15 21:51:45)

Talk and talk. Debates after debates... And yet no serious action. First think: Does this have a good chance of being implemented? If not,then why waste time on yet another debate?

[/offtopic]

I like the idea.
So basically teeworlds is becoming a twisted sort of battle arena game in which you fight players of your skill.
That requires an account system which does not fit into the KISS principle.

I'm so sick of this paradox....

Once in a century...

DARK HUNTER wrote:

Talk and talk. Debates after debates... And yet no serious action. First think: Does this have a good chance of being implemented? If not,then why waste time on yet another debate?

It's a TOPIC, starting with the tag [IDEA]. Here, we give useful ideas and debate about them, so we can get some coding directions. This idea is quite credible - I remember Lord implemented it then abandonned.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

8 (edited by Cart 2012-08-17 11:03:14)

I have got some further idea to extend this idea(I talked with Choup already so I think it fits in this topic):
If you are nameless tee and no one showed you teeworlds(even if) you are quite helpless at the moment.
So I'd like to see some kind of tutorial(no video Sushi:D) when you are starting Teeworlds for the first time(like the name choose menu) which is explaining Vanilla in a short way(positions, maps, weapons, maybe even movement basics and what you can do in options).
After that you got your list of recommended servers which are adjusted already(e.g. ctf2-5n5 Server low lvl) and where you can try out what you have just learned.

Of course not everyone would read it but I hope it would lead some guys to try to play Vanilla in a ruled way.

[21:15:20] Tom-d1ed: das ist ja mal so
[21:15:21] Tom-d1ed: extrem schlecht

That's a good idea. a few images explaining hook and double jump.

But... what if we tried more power?